Rolling Stone's The New Immortals ...

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
edited March 2013 in The Porch
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... s-20130305

Back in 2004, Rolling Stone assembled an expert panel of musicians, industry figures and critics to pick the 50 greatest artists of all time. We called these artists "The Immortals." A year later, our panelists expanded the roster to 100 all-time great artists, which you can read right here. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... e-19691231 But time stands still for no list, and when we look around us today we see a whole galaxy of other stars who belong in the Immortals conversation. Click through for 14 currently active (or relatively recently defunct) artists who we think will stand the test of time – the kind of acts whose names we wouldn't be surprised to see on a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ballot at some point down the road when they become eligible. Meet the New Immortals.

rBbVOtF.jpg

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... m-19691231

Not many bands could have survived the crushing success that Pearl Jam had on their debut album, Ten. The 1991 disc catapulted them from an unknown Seattle grunge outfit to MTV and radio gods, selling millions of records along the way and turning Eddie Vedder into an icon of his generation. Living up to that initial burst of success would have been impossible, so the band didn't even try. They stopped making videos, refused to tour with Ticketmaster, shied away from the media and did everything they could to scale back. They focused all their efforts instead on making great rock records and building one of the most devoted cult audiences in rock – and keeping their fans satisfied with marathon concerts whose set lists varied wildly from night to night. Pearl Jam might not ever land another "Jeremy" on the charts, but more than two decades after Ten, they can still instantly sell out any arena in the country.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TBibbyTBibby Posts: 393
    Taylor Swift and Kanye? Really? :fp:

Edit: If I'm reading this right, Pearl Jam is the "New" category, not the initial 50/100?

who the fuck was in that panel? :fp:
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    TBibby wrote:
    Taylor Swift and Kanye? Really? :fp:

Edit: If I'm reading this right, Pearl Jam is the "New" category, not the initial 50/100?

who the fuck was in that panel? :fp:

No idea. But what shocked me was this ..

uEZf9zy.png

My reaction to Lady Gaga playing a .. V Guitar ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd4YgudTcnM

:shock:
  • TBibbyTBibby Posts: 393
    It still could be worse...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBM1LCZKkQg
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Other than the Strokes, thats a pretty great list.
  • Yeah, I wouldn't get to excited about this (or anything Rolling Stone says or does). PJ right next to Gaga and Taylor Swift.

Can they abstain from being on such a list? In 20 years, some kid will pick this up and think that group belongs together. I never use it, but there's no more appropriate time than now - :fp:
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Other than the Strokes, thats a pretty great list.

Taylor Swift is what the come out of the gate with and you bring up The Strokes. I'm not their biggest fan, but they get at least some cred for their first album.

The people defending Swift are hilarious. Even funnier that they buy into the fact that she actually writes her own songs. She can't sing, she's douchy and I think most people think about her endless list of celebrity boyfriends long before they think of her music. The fact that somebody had the bright idea to tie her songwriting to that doesn't make her a "New Immortal". Sorry for the mini rant, but I can't stand people getting so much attention with having so little talent.

I don't think PJ being left of the list in 04 is a huge mistake. Were they probably gonna have fans for a good while, at that point? Sure, but I think their longevity has really helped cement their legacy.
    Their first album is fantastic and one of the best LPs of the past decade. That being said, they have done very little to follow up how great it was. Room on Fire was pretty good, the other 2 were pretty bad and this new one is looking like it may follow in those footsteps.

Say what you will about Taylor Swifts personal life or her celebrity, but Rolling Stone makes a pretty good case, she has a life time of hits after only 4 albums. And she is only 23.

I'd question Gaga seeing as she's only put out 3 ish albums, despite having a slew of hits. But she's a pop juggernaut right now.

And I get this is just Rolling Stone in 2013, but I guess they have the gravitas of their history to give this some importance.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Their first album is fantastic and one of the best LPs of the past decade. That being said, they have done very little to follow up how great it was. Room on Fire was pretty good, the other 2 were pretty bad and this new one is looking like it may follow in those footsteps.

Say what you will about Taylor Swifts personal life or her celebrity, but Rolling Stone makes a pretty good case, she has a life time of hits after only 4 albums. And she is only 23.

I'd question Gaga seeing as she's only put out 3 ish albums, despite having a slew of hits. But she's a pop juggernaut right now.

And I get this is just Rolling Stone in 2013, but I guess they have the gravitas of their history to give this some importance.

There's been alot of people that have multiple hits and then are forgotten when people get sick of them, but I think it takes more talent than Taylor Swift has to have the longevity of the greats. I hate about every act on the list, but I can see talent in just about everyone of them except her.
    She's got some jams. I don't know what else to say.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    I wish I'd kept some of my early issues of R.S. just to remember what a great publication it used to be. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Where is Neil Young on this list and why is he not in the top ten. Did I miss something?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.