Help needed... BAD

KC2917KC2917 Posts: 870
edited February 2013 in The Porch
I recently opened up my tub o' vinyl to put away a few new acquisitions and discovered that a few of my records are splitting along the top edge of a couple of the cardboard sleeves. Fortunately, it's only happened to a couple easily replaceable (if I wanted to) albums, but I'm worried now that it might happen to some of my more prized albums. I have no idea what is causing this because they are in a big plastic tub with a lid and never get moved. I have them all sitting upright to prevent ring wear, so now I'm at a loss of how to store them. Any storage advise would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, before I get chastised for keeping them in a tub in the closet, it's only temporary until we get into a bigger house. I already have the green light from HQ to display them proudly when we have the space.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KC2917KC2917 Posts: 870
    anyone?
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Wrap them in Mylar.
    It's a quick fix, but very expensive.
  • ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Not sure if this will help in your case, but I take the (expensive) vinyls out of the original sleeves and in to generic inner and outer sleeves. This allows me to eliminate wear and tear on the original packaging and not having the vinyls in the packaging also provides that much less pressure on the edges/etc.
    ckravitz wrote:
    Not sure if this will help in your case, but I take the (expensive) vinyls out of the original sleeves and in to generic inner and outer sleeves. This allows me to eliminate wear and tear on the original packaging and not having the vinyls in the packaging also provides that much less pressure on the edges/etc.

That's a great idea, thanks. I guess it's time to open a couple of them up then!

(most already are)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Mylar covers as STAYSEA mentioned and keep the tub ventilated- yes, sooner out of the tub the better. Wooden crates would be better. Don't let the surrounding temperature fluctuate any more than possible. If they're in a place with a lot of humidity, try a dehumidifier.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux wrote:
    Mylar covers as STAYSEA mentioned and keep the tub ventilated- yes, sooner out of the tub the better. Wooden crates would be better. Don't let the surrounding temperature fluctuate any more than possible. If they're in a place with a lot of humidity, try a dehumidifier.

Ventilated, huh? I'll try that. Where in Northern California are you from?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    KC2917 wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

I'm in the Placerville area- grew up in the south bay.
    I just noticed you're location says Walnut Creek- generally not as a problem for humidity so I'm guessing just ventilation is more a problem than humidity. Maybe the opposite- maybe too dry? Did the problem occur over summer?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux wrote:
    KC2917 wrote:

I'm in the Placerville area- grew up in the south bay.
    I just noticed you're location says Walnut Creek- generally not as a problem for humidity so I'm guessing just ventilation is more a problem than humidity. Maybe the opposite- maybe too dry? Did the problem occur over summer?

Not sure. I don't open it up too often, but I just noticed it the other day, so it must've happened within the last few months. It's generally pretty mild out here, fairly dry but not as dry as the central valley. I think I might have them packed in there a little too tightly as well.