Super deluxe box sets ?

A rusty signA rusty sign Posts: 14
edited May 2013 in The Porch
Any word on the next instalment of the super deluxe box sets ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    no
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Unlikely to happen for a while, I'd say a good few years yet if at all. Jeff said a while ago that looking through all the old stuff worn the band out with the Vs/Vitalogy set and PJ20.

Add in sales of Vs/Vitalogy weren't spectacular, I'm doubtful there will be another reissue.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Next tuesday? :lol:
  • javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I read, here or somewhere else, someone saying that the next box set will happen during the actual 20 anniversary of the release, and it will be by itself... I don't know the source, let alone, if it's true, but I don't think Backspacer will be reissued in 2029, however, we could expect No Code reissue in 2016 or before, that's for certain, it would be a nice surprise if it happens this year...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• silver39silver39 Columbus, Ohio Posts: 1,346
    I hope its not anytime soon not because I dont want it but I can't afford all this stuff right now LOL!!
    "I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
    "I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
    "Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
  • TBibbyTBibby Posts: 393
    Wasn't VS/Vitalogy pushed by the record company?
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I read, here or somewhere else, someone saying that the next box set will happen during the actual 20 anniversary of the release, and it will be by itself... I don't know the source, let alone, if it's true, but I don't think Backspacer will be reissued in 2029, however, we could expect No Code reissue in 2016 or before, that's for certain, it would be a nice surprise if it happens this year...

The original campaign - one 10c posted back with the introduction to the new Pearl Jam website said that it would be something more consistent and steady. All in due time I suppose...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • RatsTJRatsRatsTJRats Boston Posts: 431
    Any word on the next instalment of the super deluxe box sets ?

I heard they are all set with those for awhile....after PJ20 they want to focus on the present/future for a while, which means more shows and music for us!!!!!
    This could be the day
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    need me some no code and yield on vinyl... cmon PJ lets go!

:D
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943

The original campaign - one 10c posted back with the introduction to the new Pearl Jam website said that it would be something more consistent and steady. All in due time I suppose...

They did mention they had plans to reissue all them and they sounded like pretty ambitious plans. I think the Ten on did well. It came with lots of cool stuff. Live Vinyl, DVD of unplugged, cassette tape, remastered version(s) of 10 (which unlike vs/vitalogy, the remastering made a difference).

I think the band/10c were put off by the slow sales of vs/vitalogy. In my opinion the sales were low because the box didn't have that much to offer. It didn't have a dvd. Vs./Vitalogy aren't that hard to find on vinyl. They're probably some of the easiest records to find. Vs./Vitalogy original mixes sound great so they didn't need to be remastered. The one awesome thing about the set was the live vinyl. It was a pretty expensive set to plunk down cash for a live a vinyl.

The albums after Vitalogy would sell alot more. Starting with No Code the vinyl pressings are really hard to come by. People would buy the sets just to get affordable copies of those records. The band/10c was so discourage from the last boxset that I don't think they realize that its the upcoming ones people want the most.

It'll be a few years until we see the next one, assuming it doesn't just fade away all together.
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    I don't need a deluxe box set, didn't buy either one. I just want the reissued wax.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    You know how... when you're stoned... some ideas sound fucking GREAT? Like making a giant slingshot that is big enough to hit the Moon with a giant boulder.
    Well, maybe that was all part of the PJ20 thing. The planning of the whole 20 year thing ahead of time... with a big 2 day concert with all your stoner (Queens Of The Stoneage) friends... and finally cutting up all of those tons of films and tapes into one comprehensive movie... and re-releasing all of your catalog with all kind of cool stuff for people to get...
    Then the concert comes and goes... and the movie... and the first record that made everything possible... then, you get kind of burnt out on it... it was fun, but now, not so much... and the rest of the stuff (the later albums) sounds more and more like stuff you HAVE to do (but really don't want to anymore)... you'd rather go surfing... or play with the kids... play some new stuff... experiment with other stuff.... like bands with your buddies... and that great idea a couple of 3 years ago now feels like 'work'. And there's a reason WHY you became a musician... so you didn't have to 'work' work.
    Maybe... they should let the fans put the thing together... er... no, bad (stoner) idea. How about turning it over to the Fan Club people? You know, pay them and it will be work... except, you get to play with the kids... and the Fan Club people do the work. Like sub-contracting the work out.
    There... another great stoner idea. Now... where can I get some giant rubberbands to shoot that rock?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • As Cosmo said.....what an excellent idea. The work involved with Ten Clubbers doing the work would be insane,yet the idea "feels" so spot on. If sales are what they are after, it would, in my opinion, be one of the quickest most effective processes to get fans to jump on board and purchase. To me, great idea! Wishful thinking would be that 10C thot the same. (sigh) hopes fade away!
  • Zod wrote:

They did mention they had plans to reissue all them and they sounded like pretty ambitious plans. I think the Ten on did well. It came with lots of cool stuff. Live Vinyl, DVD of unplugged, cassette tape, remastered version(s) of 10 (which unlike vs/vitalogy, the remastering made a difference).

I think the band/10c were put off by the slow sales of vs/vitalogy. In my opinion the sales were low because the box didn't have that much to offer. It didn't have a dvd. Vs./Vitalogy aren't that hard to find on vinyl. They're probably some of the easiest records to find. Vs./Vitalogy original mixes sound great so they didn't need to be remastered. The one awesome thing about the set was the live vinyl. It was a pretty expensive set to plunk down cash for a live a vinyl.

The albums after Vitalogy would sell alot more. Starting with No Code the vinyl pressings are really hard to come by. People would buy the sets just to get affordable copies of those records. The band/10c was so discourage from the last boxset that I don't think they realize that its the upcoming ones people want the most.

It'll be a few years until we see the next one, assuming it doesn't just fade away all together.

it won't be worth it unless they toss in some Third Man Records type of exclusives, like A FULL LIVE SHOW ON VINYL. Two great opportunities for that and they fucked it up. DITP is incomplete, and The Orpheum was a clusterf***. Why choose a show where some of the songs were LOST?? And the MTV unplugged DVD was EDITED and incomplete. This band keeps editing their past and it's really starting to get to people.

I also think it would be weird to have No Code and Yield in the same set. Those two albums couldn't be more different. VS and Vitalogy are probably the most similar albums in their discography, so that made sense.

All I care about are official releases of live shows, either audio or dvd.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Cosmo wrote:
    You know how... when you're stoned... some ideas sound fucking GREAT? Like making a giant slingshot that is big enough to hit the Moon with a giant boulder.
    Well, maybe that was all part of the PJ20 thing. The planning of the whole 20 year thing ahead of time... with a big 2 day concert with all your stoner (Queens Of The Stoneage) friends... and finally cutting up all of those tons of films and tapes into one comprehensive movie... and re-releasing all of your catalog with all kind of cool stuff for people to get...
    Then the concert comes and goes... and the movie... and the first record that made everything possible... then, you get kind of burnt out on it... it was fun, but now, not so much... and the rest of the stuff (the later albums) sounds more and more like stuff you HAVE to do (but really don't want to anymore)... you'd rather go surfing... or play with the kids... play some new stuff... experiment with other stuff.... like bands with your buddies... and that great idea a couple of 3 years ago now feels like 'work'. And there's a reason WHY you became a musician... so you didn't have to 'work' work.
    Maybe... they should let the fans put the thing together... er... no, bad (stoner) idea. How about turning it over to the Fan Club people? You know, pay them and it will be work... except, you get to play with the kids... and the Fan Club people do the work. Like sub-contracting the work out.
    There... another great stoner idea. Now... where can I get some giant rubberbands to shoot that rock?

Pure. Gold.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    edited February 2013
    JS81606 wrote:
    As Cosmo said.....what an excellent idea. The work involved with Ten Clubbers doing the work would be insane,yet the idea "feels" so spot on. If sales are what they are after, it would, in my opinion, be one of the quickest most effective processes to get fans to jump on board and purchase. To me, great idea! Wishful thinking would be that 10C thot the same. (sigh) hopes fade away!
    Yeah... you know... the Fan Club workers (Tim and Santos and crew...) can work with Pearl Jam historian and keeper of the good shit, Jeff... and ask us (The Fan club Members) what we want. Not specifics... not bullshit polls or voting shit... just brainstorming in general terms...
    Basically ask us... 'What do you guys want?'
    Live shows on CD? A DVD of sorts, a full live show (I'm sure they have copies) or outtakes from 'Single Video Theory' or the footage from that Monkeywrench Radio thing... what? Do we want reproduced laminates, reprints of the Mr. Point/Bug concert ticket, photo prints or reproductions of guitar picks from that era (drive the EBay pick scalpers out of business)... what?
    Not specific, such as the 'San Diego show'... or the 'Seattle show'... put Jeff to work and make HIM pick a show for the CD.
    My personal Wishlist... 'No Code' and 'Yield' vinyl re-issues. It's time to put a stop to 200 dollar prices for the originals. Most people just want a copy... just because. Full on reprints with the sticker and the polaroid inserts.
    A CD of the 1998 San Diego gig...
    A DVD with a director's cut of 'Single Video Theory' with extended interviews, full songs... additional footage... that kind of crap.
    An embroirdered patch of the bug logo... orange and blue like the tickets...
    Era sticker reprints. You can toss in photo reprints, laminates whatever.
    Just an idea...
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Cosmo wrote:
    Brilliant post
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    Cosmo wrote:

I would do this for free...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,827
    Don't diss my slingshot! It will WORK!! :x
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • TRobinson wrote:
    I heard they are all set with those for awhile....after PJ20 they want to focus on the present/future for a while, which means more shows and music for us!!!!!
    Sad that reality proves the opposite...
  • TRobinson wrote:

they've all released tonnes of new music.........
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • RatsTJRatsRatsTJRats Boston Posts: 431
    TRobinson wrote:

Except for the wrigley and london shows, fall tour being announced soon, new album in the fall....your right though, in reality they are just sitting on their asses doing nothing
    This could be the day
  • IMHO I think the band are savvy enough to realise there is enough product out there, legal or otherwise, to satisfy the vast majority of fans. Especially so considering the not too great economic times for many around the world.
  • LamentLament Posts: 294
    Stone explicitly said there would be more, but that there was no timetable whatsoever as to when they would come out...

http://grungereport.net/?p=11697
  • Lament wrote:
    Stone explicitly said there would be more, but that there was no timetable whatsoever as to when they would come out...

http://grungereport.net/?p=11697

that doesn't really matter. each member has explicitly stated something would happen at some point that hasn't come to fruition.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • they've all released tonnes of new music.........
    I'm a Pearl Jam fan, so I'm talking about Pearl Jam music.
    Brad, RNDM, Uke-Vedder or whatever else are all nice things, but they are not Pearl Jam.
    Lately, it looks like Pearl Jam isn't the main priority for most of the guys anymore.
    Not judging, just observing.
    Look at the times in between albums:
    It'll be more than 4 years in between the last album and the next one.
    They did 3 albums during this period when they all focused on this band in the 90s.
    TRobinson wrote:
    Except for the wrigley and london shows, fall tour being announced soon, new album in the fall....your right though, in reality they are just sitting on their asses doing nothing
    Well one show in London and one show in Chicago, makes a total of two shows announced.
    Who knows what the fall tour will bring.
    As for touring, just look at the tour schedule untin 2003 and compare it to everything after.
    Again, just observing.
    As for the album, I wrote about that above.

I made my original point answering to the argument that PJ wants to focuss on the present / future.
    I just hope in the future, they'll focus more on the main band as on the side projects.
    Of course always under the condition that they still have enough output and ideas for great songs.

And if Jeff or Eddie feel boredem in the future, please finish the next Super Deluxe Box Set.
    The first two were good, but the next one(s) is the one most fans are really waiting for (me included)! :thumbup:
  • they've all released tonnes of new music.........
    Brad, RNDM, Uke-Vedder or whatever else are all nice things, but they are not Pearl Jam.
    Lately, it looks like Pearl Jam isn't the main priority for most of the guys anymore.
    They did 3 albums during this period when they all focused on this band in the 90s.

no one is debating that. but you have to remember that all bands release music at a frantic pace in their infancy. this is normal, and that things slow down over time. 4 years in between albums is NOTHING. especially for a band that's been around 20 years. I challenge you to look at any band that's been around this length of time and find one that still releases music at the pace they did in their prime.

bands love to tour when they are young. it's fun, it's a big party, but as you get older and you have kids and/or a spouse, it doesn't have the appeal it once did. same goes for any profession, even if it's your passion. when young, traveling with your friends/coworkers is just one big road trip. now, it takes you away from those that you love. and bands write a lot on the road, so less touring means less collaboration. it's just common sense that the period between albums is going to get larger as time goes on.

expect their 11th album to be out around 2020 or later.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    Thanks, all good points.
    And as much as I understand it, I don't see any reason why they don't continue with the release of the Super Deluxe Box Sets.
    Except for the reason the last one didn't sell that well.
    Being to busy (with their jobs) can't be the reason since it is Ed and Jeff who did most of the work for the first ones.

And as someone suggested earlier, just ask the fans / Tenclub Members what they want to be included in the SDBS.
    There will be a lot of great input I guess.
  • ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    they've all released tonnes of new music.........

no one is debating that. but you have to remember that all bands release music at a frantic pace in their infancy. this is normal, and that things slow down over time. 4 years in between albums is NOTHING. especially for a band that's been around 20 years. I challenge you to look at any band that's been around this length of time and find one that still releases music at the pace they did in their prime.

bands love to tour when they are young. it's fun, it's a big party, but as you get older and you have kids and/or a spouse, it doesn't have the appeal it once did. same goes for any profession, even if it's your passion. when young, traveling with your friends/coworkers is just one big road trip. now, it takes you away from those that you love. and bands write a lot on the road, so less touring means less collaboration. it's just common sense that the period between albums is going to get larger as time goes on.

expect their 11th album to be out around 2020 or later.

This is a good post and I agree with most all of it. However, the one thing that makes it a bit different with the PJ situation is that they ARE touring and they ARE making music, both at a fairly "young band" pace, only it isn't as Pearl Jam, it is as individuals. Not a judgement at all, perhaps the solo stuff is what is saving PJ as an entity in the first place, just that I really don't believe it's time or that they, as individuals, are any less motivated.
    Thanks, all good points.
    And as much as I understand it, I don't see any reason why they don't continue with the release of the Super Deluxe Box Sets.
    Except for the reason the last one didn't sell that well.
    Being to busy (with their jobs) can't be the reason since it is Ed and Jeff who did most of the work for the first ones.

And as someone suggested earlier, just ask the fans / Tenclub Members what they want to be included in the SDBS.
    There will be a lot of great input I guess.

Jeff mentioned after the second box that the band is tired (for now) of looking back, and want to focus on the future. I personally can't imagine how much work it was to put those box sets and the movie together, with all the footage and memoribilia they have laying around. I'd get tired of that too.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014