What kind of phone do you have?

RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Looking for a phone, I'm eligible for an upgrade in a few months.

I would like opinions on Windows, and Jellybean (I guess it's supposed to be better than Ice Cream Sandwich).

Currently have an HTC, but right now, it randomly freezes up and when I try to call people, they can't hear me, so I have to hang up and call back.

Samsung is supposed to have great display graphics, but I hear the battery life sucks.

Don't care about iphone, or crackberrys.
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I got an iphone 5 last fall only because the Samsung Galaxy S3 was enormous. I work construction so I like it to fit in my side pocket of my jeans. The Galaxy was so big I couldn't even consider it. But all that aside I liked the features it has.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Clearly, if you are on verizon, the Nokia 920 is the only option. :P

Gaxaly 3 is the big phone to beat right now. Somebody said the 4 was coming out before too long.

i'm stickin with my EVO. still works solid.

as for your current phone, have you done a factory reset? could also root and put on a different version of android.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
    landline old school no call waiting
    ajb
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    Clearly, if you are on verizon, the Nokia 920 is the only option. :P

Gaxaly 3 is the big phone to beat right now. Somebody said the 4 was coming out before too long.

i'm stickin with my EVO. still works solid.

as for your current phone, have you done a factory reset? could also root and put on a different version of android.

no factory re-set, the last time I did the upgrade, they took my old 3G SIM card and stuck it into the new 4G phone, fine and dandy until the network freaks out, and since then my phone has never wanted to upgrade the software. Even went to the AT&T store, and they gave me a 4G SIM, and it still refuses to upgrade.

A friend has the Galaxy 3, and he works in construction, says the phone is so big it's annoying.

As it stands, I can trade in my current phone, and get more on the trade-in value than I paid for the phone brand new...2 years ago :lol: I love you Costco!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • jeff2040jeff2040 Des Moines, IA Posts: 1,586
    I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 right now. Its the first smart phone that I've had and I have no problems with it. The battery life is not horrible but I charge it every night so I have 100% in the morning.
    Sometimes you find yourself
    Having to put all your faith
    In no faith
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    d'oh...

Lumia 920 is ATT. check it out. i played with one once...just to check out windows 8. windows 8 has recieved solid reviews as a phone operationg system...however, i do admit, it started to piss me off in the 5 minutes i used it. :lol: i did like the speed of the phone and the fell of it

just looked over ATT....given the choices, i'd go Lumia 920 for windows or galaxy 3 for android
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    early-cell-phone.jpg
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Samsung S IV, rumored to be released in March, and come out with dual and quad core chipsets.

I can upgrade in May or June...

quad core phone... :lol::lol::lol: I could be talking, tweeting, texting, posting to the forums, listening to PJ Radio, and watching PJ20 all at once...oh, and playing Angry Birds.

- Christopher McCandless
  • I have an old samsung dumb phone.... I think I was eligible for an upgrade like a year and a half ago.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBOli-EOBI_vS4W0XaVyuMZXRxID0dGEFTUzhi-0JVw4ZlRq9LyQ
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • I just made the switch from the Blackberry Torch to the Samsung S3. I really like it.

The battery life was bad initially, but I found ways to save it and so far so good!
    get the hamburger phone like in juno
    juno1_wideweb__470x321,2.jpg
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Samsung S3
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    iPhone 4....upgraded from a 3GS & it was only $0.99 :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 wrote:

Isn't it kind of necessary to have an iPhone in and around Portland? :lol:
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    mfc2006 wrote:

Not sure, smartass! :lol::lol:

I've had one since they came out with the original when I was living in Texas.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    I just made the switch from the Blackberry Torch to the Samsung S3. I really like it.

The battery life was bad initially, but I found ways to save it and so far so good!
    and yes,found those ways helped ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    iphone 4. I know op said your not interested but I highly recommend it. I had an android prior to iphone and had nothing but problems with it. iphone = easy to use and no problems.
  • mfc2006 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

Not sure, smartass! :lol::lol:

I've had one since they came out with the original when I was living in Texas.

Uh-huh :lol:
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    youngster wrote:
    I got an iphone 5 last fall only because the Samsung Galaxy S3 was enormous. I work construction so I like it to fit in my side pocket of my jeans. The Galaxy was so big I couldn't even consider it. But all that aside I liked the features it has.
    If the phone doesn't fit in your pockets you could always try this:

Cell-Phone-Holder-968.jpg
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    Galaxy S 11...I love it.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I still have my iphone 3Gs with unlimited data. When I finally upgrade, I'll be going to an iphone 5. I have been happy with iphones. I also have a tracfone for people I don't want to give my iphone number to - for work mainly. Its complicated. But the tracfone does fine too.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    goldrush wrote:
    youngster wrote:
    If the phone doesn't fit in your pockets you could always try this:

Cell-Phone-Holder-968.jpg

"Interesting. I might give that a shot." (said nobody except this guy.) :lol:
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    iPhone 4. I have been due for an upgarde for a couple months, but I'm not that eager to go and get the iPhone 5. Might just wait for the next one to come out.
  • Droid RAZR HD. Love it. Had it for about 3 months now and haven't had an issue.

Still have the BlackBerry for work. All it's good for is for handling all of the emails I get daily.

The wife has the iPhone 4S. I'm not a fan. Probably since I'm used to the Android system and I don't use any other Apple products.

Seriously considered the Samsung and a Windows phone, though. The bells and whistles on those two were fantastic.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • supadupasupadupa Chicago Posts: 377
    iPhone 4S. It's my first iPhone and I LOVE it.
  • just traded my HTC Inspire for the Galaxy S3.
    It is kinda big... the screen alone on the S3 is about the same size as my old HTC phone... but its much lighter than the HTC was... Battery life is much better than the HTC was. The battery on the HTC would run out before the end of the day... I could probably get away w/ charging the S3 every other day. Lots of cool functions, and the screen display looks great... makes the pics taken on my old phone look even crisper.

Best Buy just bought back my HTC Inspire for $120.00!! Not sure how much they would have given me if I waited for the S4... but Im sure that would drive down the trade in value slightly.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    mfc2006 wrote:

me too - a couple of months back - you can't beat the price just 0.99 and I love it !!! :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    just traded my HTC Inspire for the Galaxy S3.
    It is kinda big... the screen alone on the S3 is about the same size as my old HTC phone... but its much lighter than the HTC was... Battery life is much better than the HTC was. The battery on the HTC would run out before the end of the day... I could probably get away w/ charging the S3 every other day. Lots of cool functions, and the screen display looks great... makes the pics taken on my old phone look even crisper.

Best Buy just bought back my HTC Inspire for $120.00!! Not sure how much they would have given me if I waited for the S4... but Im sure that would drive down the trade in value slightly.

ooohhh! yes! this is the kind of info I need. I did see that the Samsung 3 has an instant shutter, much more like a regular camera. My HTC camera sucks, well, you know, I have the Inspire. thanks twisty!

oh, and the reason I don't care for the iphone is I have an ipad...it's cool, but it just doesn't really impress me all that much.

Still would like to see input on a Windows phone.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    just traded my HTC Inspire for the Galaxy S3.

ooohhh! yes! this is the kind of info I need. I did see that the Samsung 3 has an instant shutter, much more like a regular camera. My HTC camera sucks, well, you know, I have the Inspire. thanks twisty!

oh, and the reason I don't care for the iphone is I have an ipad...it's cool, but it just doesn't really impress me all that much.

Still would like to see input on a Windows phone.

The other thing I like about the S3 is that you can automatically turn off GPS tags on your photos... Dont need to get an app to take the geo tags off. It also has a front & rear facing camera..

I dont have any personal experience w/ the Windows phones... But a friend of mine who had the Inspire got the Nokia Windows phone a little while back and hated it. Traded it in right away. I think it may be cool if you have games on the Xbox that you can play on the phone, but aside from that... meh. Plus, You'd have to sign up for a Windows Live Account (if you dont already have) and so your calendar and everything else would be linked to that account... not your google one.

Not sure about Costco but you can trade your phone in up to 30 days at Best Buy... so worst case you get a phone you dont like and you trade it out in a few weeks.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...