Will Dave Abruzzesse Play With Pearl Jam at Rock Induction?

MS20102MS20102 Posts: 2
edited February 2013 in The Porch
History has shown that bands with previous drummer's (and other instrument playing members) who left the band by choice or force have very often been invited back by the band to appear and perform a song or 2 at the induction ceremony. In my opinion it would be a travesty if the band (and Eddie personally) didn't invite Dave to be inducted with them and perform. His time with the band was the defining time that made them legendary along with the universally recognized best work of their career. Inducting Pearl Jam without Dave A. being present (and performing) would be a huge buzzkill to the event and diehard PJ fanbase. Him not being invited to play at PJ20 (a special 20 year anniversary show with lots of special guests) I think was wrong..along with Jack Irons. Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    Totally disagree, the whole reason they booted Dave was he wanted to be a rockstar and all the other guys just wanted to play music, who goes shirtless in New York City on New Year's Eve, Dave was more worried about his hair, after the rest of the band cut their hair, he was the only one who didn't, honestly I watch this video and it seems like he is a Tommy Lee wanna-be, the rest of the band is just jamming, plus I think the band is better and can play more songs without him
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE3NR04X30c
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Totally disagree, the whole reason they booted Dave was he wanted to be a rockstar and all the other guys just wanted to play music, who goes shirtless in New York City on New Year's Eve, Dave was more worried about his hair, after the rest of the band cut their hair, he was the only one who didn't, honestly I watch this video and it seems like he is a Tommy Lee wanna-be, the rest of the band is just jamming, plus I think the band is better and can play more songs without him

Total Kool-Aid drinking bullshit. You've taken a couple things the band said about him and completely blown it up. The rest of the band is just jamming? What are you talking about? You mean to tell me Mike didn't "want to be a rockstar" in that video? Give me a break. And then you bring up the dude's hair. What has that got to do with anything? The people on here who criticize Dave for playing without a shirt are also usually the same people obsessed with the Chili Peppers; a band that plays with socks on their dicks.

From everything I've read and watched, Dave didn't really seem like a bad guy at all and I think he got a really bad rap out of the whole thing. Honestly, looking back on it, Eddie seemed like way more of a pretentious dick and super tough to work with. A lot of the shit he was pulling in the studio at that time (from a few sources but most recently the PJ20 book) make Ed look like a complete asshole.

I could make a list of shit but I'm too tired at the moment. I just think it's important to remember that there are two sides to the story and we have definitely heard way more from one than the other over the years.

I think it would be fucking awesome to have Dave play with them again at the introduction or any show for that matter.
  • deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    ...what his hair has to do with the fact that Dave A. was a big part of the early history of the band and the best drummer the band ever had in my opinion?...i may don't like him as a person but musically is another thing... goodmorning to all :)
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • LamentLament Posts: 294
    deftones wrote:
    Dave A. was a big part of the early history of the band

So true. Regardless of what anyone thinks of him, to suggest that Dave A. didn't pour his blood, sweat, & tears into this band during its most glorified and frenzied era is absurd.

It's funny, people will go on and on and on about how Matt Cameron "saved" Pearl Jam by stepping in and filling in for Jack Irons at the last second, but no one EVER credits Dave A. for doing the same thing at a time that you could easily argue was much more important and dramatic. What happens if Dave A. doesn't step in and take the job behind the kit in August of 1991? What if he says no and it takes them another three/six/nine months to find another drummer? He joined the week Ten came out. What if Ten drops and instead of being able to make the rounds across the USA for the rest of 1991 and start really creating a buzz they have to hang around Seattle auditioning drummers? History has shown it doesn't take a lot for a major label to give up on a band. Not being able to tour incessantly the second their debut album dropped could've easily been a reason for Sony to say "Fuck it." Perhaps there are no legendary shows with the Pumpkins or RHCP or Nirvana in late 1991. No Moore Theatre in early 1992. If there were no buzz in America, do they ever end up in Europe for any of those landmark shows in the first half of 1992? Would any of these setbacks be enough to make Stone or Jeff say "Fuck it. It's really never gonna happen" and walk away?

Whether or not he deserved to be sacked, or whether or not the men who followed him were better (or better for the band) is something that can be debated till the end of time. Dave A.'s significance in the history of Pearl Jam, however, is undeniable.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited February 2013
    I think it would be cool to see Dave K, Dave A, and Jack be a part of the induction performance, but they will more or less be there or Acknowleged, regardless (even if they don't perform).

It's cleary up to the band I think who they want inducted and standing at the podium. I could be wrong though.

I'm simply going on a few examples:

Metallica brought cliff Burton's father, and Jason Newstead to play the induction, and speak. Rob, also played.

Chili Peppers had Jack Irons up there to speak, and Hillel's brother accepted his award, Josh was present, and only played on 1 album. John was not there, or wasn't acknowleged), but he still probably recieved a trophy.

My point is I guess: Is that The band can have any members past or oresent that they want there weather they, speak, play, or are just in attendance side stage, and aknowledged. The Stooges are an example: Scott Thurston, (who has been with Tom Petty and HB for like 25 yrs), Didn't speak during the induction, but was acknowleged. He probably recieved a hall of fame trophy- we just didn't see it.
    It will be interesting to see what PJ does. 8-)

A little off topic, But Dave K recieved a PJ 20 plaque. He posted a picture on his facebook page. So, I also use this as an example that former members still get recognition, and will probably at the induction, weather they are present, or perform.
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    Lament wrote:
    deftones wrote:
    Dave A. was a big part of the early history of the band

So true. Regardless of what anyone thinks of him, to suggest that Dave A. didn't pour his blood, sweat, & tears into this band during its most glorified and frenzied era is absurd.

It's funny, people will go on and on and on about how Matt Cameron "saved" Pearl Jam by stepping in and filling in for Jack Irons at the last second, but no one EVER credits Dave A. for doing the same thing at a time that you could easily argue was much more important and dramatic. What happens if Dave A. doesn't step in and take the job behind the kit in August of 1991? What if he says no and it takes them another three/six/nine months to find another drummer? He joined the week Ten came out. What if Ten drops and instead of being able to make the rounds across the USA for the rest of 1991 and start really creating a buzz they have to hang around Seattle auditioning drummers? History has shown it doesn't take a lot for a major label to give up on a band. Not being able to tour incessantly the second their debut album dropped could've easily been a reason for Sony to say "Fuck it." Perhaps there are no legendary shows with the Pumpkins or RHCP or Nirvana in late 1991. No Moore Theatre in early 1992. If there were no buzz in America, do they ever end up in Europe for any of those landmark shows in the first half of 1992? Would any of these setbacks be enough to make Stone or Jeff say "Fuck it. It's really never gonna happen" and walk away?

Whether or not he deserved to be sacked, or whether or not the men who followed him were better (or better for the band) is something that can be debated till the end of time. Dave A.'s significance in the history of Pearl Jam, however, is undeniable.

Firstly to try and stay on topic I don't expect the band to invite Dave to the induction. I may be wrong but they have usually been a band that wants to look forward and so far have shown a pretty stubborn attitude towards him and his departure (PJ20). I'm not saying its right or wrong but its what I think will be the case.

Secondly, the comparison that Dave saved the band in a similar fashion to Matt is a bit far fetched. It was more or less a brand new group and they needed a full time drummer. They didn't have a back catalogue of successful award wining albums and a path of where they were going like they did when Matt joined. They were new, fresh and hungry and it would have always been possible to get someone in to play drums. Its the life of the drummer - the most easily replaceable member of any band (and I use the word easy with a touch sarcasm). Hinting that if there was no Dave A there would have been no modern day PJ as we know doesn't wash with me. The band were so heavily involved in the Seattle scene that they would have had so many contacts someone would have stepped in.

Thirdly, I don't think anyone is arguing that his influence wasn't significant on the band. I'm certainly not anyway. You'd wanna be a fool to think that but its gonna be Ed, Stone, Mike, Jeff and Matt at the induction (and maybe Boom). We may never know the complete reason for Dave's leaving but I would guess we aren't going to see a happy reunion.

Just my opinion.
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • dugangsxrdugangsxr Covington KY Posts: 670
    I hope they are all up there at the podium. Any member of the band at any certain time in the bands career which they put out a record with the artist title "Pearl Jam" deserves their recognition. No matter which one is your personal favorite deserves credit for their "art". Great thread!
    Paul D.
    dugangsxr wrote:
    I hope they are all up there at the podium. Any member of the band at any certain time in the bands career which they put out a record with the artist title "Pearl Jam" deserves their recognition. No matter which one is your personal favorite deserves credit for their "art". Great thread!
    :thumbup:
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Where do you come up with this shit?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534

:lol:

Shirtless and hair???? :lol: Haven't you ever seen plenty of shows with Jeff, Ed, and Mike playing shirtless? The Even Flow video where Ed strips down to his boxers like a damn stripper and tosses his clothes in the crowd?

Dave A should be there when it happens. Would love to see him light up a smoke and play during Black one last time and pound the absolute piss out of that snare!
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    All former drummers may be there to accept the award but not play their 1 or 2 songs with them. Same thing happened when Blondie was inducted. All the past members were there but only the current lineup played. I remeber one of the ex-bandmates was begging Debbie in front of everyone to let him play with them and she said no. It was a strange moment.
    YLed2 wrote:

:lol:

Shirtless and hair???? :lol: Haven't you ever seen plenty of shows with Jeff, Ed, and Mike playing shirtless? The Even Flow video where Ed strips down to his boxers like a damn stripper and tosses his clothes in the crowd?

Dave A should be there when it happens. Would love to see him light up a smoke and play during Black one last time and pound the absolute piss out of that snare!
    Fuck man this would be amazing, one last time...
  • the way they completely ignored and glossed over Dave in the movie like he was insignificant tells me that not only will he not play with them, he will likely not even be invited to attend.

Unless Stone gets his way.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • if Jack Irons didn't even get a guest spot at PJ20 weekend, we ain't gonna see Dave A anytime soon.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • he should set up outside the venue and perform Angel with Scott Stapp.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Totally disagree, the whole reason they booted Dave was he wanted to be a rockstar and all the other guys just wanted to play music, who goes shirtless in New York City on New Year's Eve, Dave was more worried about his hair, after the rest of the band cut their hair, he was the only one who didn't, honestly I watch this video and it seems like he is a Tommy Lee wanna-be, the rest of the band is just jamming, plus I think the band is better and can play more songs without him

Damn I actually miss Dave A watching this video! He was a total bad a**! U say he ddnt cut his hair yet mike ddnt either at that point. Say what u say but if PJ announced today that Matt will b leaving the band to pursue more time w SD and they are giving Dave A a second chance.... Ud be at a high! I know I would be
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    poor dude has no idea he is about to get his ass canned, and yes Matt Cameron is a much better drummer than Dave could ever hope to be
    pearljamearly.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07OeTiPSc8Y
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    nope
    danny d
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    I doubt they would play with him, but hopefully he can at least be there for the induction. He was a huge part of this band when they were pretty much the biggest band in the world. If he played a song or 2, that would be great to see. Love Dave A's drumming!
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    october22 wrote:

Total Kool-Aid drinking bullshit. You've taken a couple things the band said about him and completely blown it up. The rest of the band is just jamming? What are you talking about? You mean to tell me Mike didn't "want to be a rockstar" in that video? Give me a break. And then you bring up the dude's hair. What has that got to do with anything? The people on here who criticize Dave for playing without a shirt are also usually the same people obsessed with the Chili Peppers; a band that plays with socks on their dicks.

From everything I've read and watched, Dave didn't really seem like a bad guy at all and I think he got a really bad rap out of the whole thing. Honestly, looking back on it, Eddie seemed like way more of a pretentious dick and super tough to work with. A lot of the shit he was pulling in the studio at that time (from a few sources but most recently the PJ20 book) make Ed look like a complete asshole.

I could make a list of shit but I'm too tired at the moment. I just think it's important to remember that there are two sides to the story and we have definitely heard way more from one than the other over the years.

I think it would be fucking awesome to have Dave play with them again at the introduction or any show for that matter.

serious kool-aid. i think hank missed the part of PJ20 when MIKE mentions he got caught up in being a rock star which eventually lead to his substance abuse problems.

speaking of mike... he gets a little more than shirtless in this video :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBL2T8iumu4
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

So he was more worried about his hair and it's a bad thing that he played shirtless??? Like plenty have said on this thread, Mike wasn't a big fan of shirts back in the day either.

Thanks for that link though....that's the best version of Sonic Reducer!
  • SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,440
    What year would Pearl Jam first be eligible?
  • Spoken wrote:
    What year would Pearl Jam first be eligible?

2016 I believe.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • I think Dave Krusen would be a more likely, and more eligible, candidate - because he was a founding member.
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Would be nice to see all four drummers, no Chamberlain. Probably just be Matt though and maybe Jack Irons but probably just Matt.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    october22 wrote:

at the moment...liking this^^^
    aqo2t.jpg
  • I hope he is at least at the ceremony. Considering he toured heavily for Ten, is on Vs. and Vitalogy, and was the drummer when most fans (I think) became fans of the band, he deserves to be there.

At the same time, its up to the core 4. I just hope, especially if Dave A is on board, they can let bygones be bygones for one night.
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    pearljamearly.jpg

Fire the guy with the long hair, but keep the guy with that asinine hat?
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    jamburger wrote:
    pearljamearly.jpg

Fire the guy with the long hair, but keep the guy with that asinine hat?
    Yeah... may as well shit-can the two dudes with the sunglasses too.
    Sunglasses= rockstar
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I don't know, but I doubt it. Matt is their drummer. I don't think they'd just have Matt stand off to the side and have some guy they don't even seem to like do it for him.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata