"TEN"th Studio Album! Something Special? Or Swan Song?

Greatplainsman...Greatplainsman... Posts: 839
edited February 2013 in The Porch
Seems like the albums are getting fewer and farther between... Could the boys be getting ready for one last hoorah and then a ride off into the sunset? Or are they about to hit us with the most insane Double LP Ever followed by a World Tour?
I'm hoping the later :D
IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    This has been speculated off and on about Pearl Jam since 1996 and the old 'pit.' I say no. The band are enjoying the fruits of their labor IMO - making music on their terms, not terms of a rabid fanbase who would rather they do an album-tour-album cycle like they did way back. People are so critical of their last record, & I personally have no idea why. It was fresh & new - not Vs.2 or Ten Part Deux like some fans continually clamour for. The breaks are key to their long term vitality & like in 96' I think anyway, that they don't care who comes along for the ride. Its their art and speaking from personal experience, I think making music can be a very selfish art. An art that can be shared, but isn't created for the ONLY purpose to please others.
    As for the new record - I don't think its going to be something like what they've done before. Of course that's only me believing what little I've read the band say about the new project. 8-)
    www.cluthelee.com
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,291
    I think the band is taking their time with things. No need to rush and make sloppy music. Also, these guys are an older band now, not like Motorhead old, but not young (late 20s/early 30s). The band have their own families and kids, so there is not a huge rush to be on the road for too long be away from loved ones.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    This has been speculated off and on about Pearl Jam since 1996 and the old 'pit.' I say no. The band are enjoying the fruits of their labor IMO - making music on their terms, not terms of a rabid fanbase who would rather they do an album-tour-album cycle like they did way back. People are so critical of their last record, & I personally have no idea why. It was fresh & new - not Vs.2 or Ten Part Deux like some fans continually clamour for. The breaks are key to their long term vitality & like in 96' I think anyway, that they don't care who comes along for the ride. Its their art and speaking from personal experience, I think making music can be a very selfish art. An art that can be shared, but isn't created for the ONLY purpose to please others.
    As for the new record - I don't think its going to be something like what they've done before. Of course that's only me believing what little I've read the band say about the new project. 8-)

Agree with everyting you said. End of discussion. :D
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    This is a great post. I agree with everything you said.
  • Swan song? That is blasphemy. Unless you are making some kind of a Zeppelin reference. Honestly I see this band going on like the Stones, forever.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Swan song? That is blasphemy. Unless you are making some kind of a Zeppelin reference. Honestly I see this band going on like the Stones, forever.

Definetly a Zeppelin reference :D
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668

+1. Selfishly I want it and I want it now, however, everything you said here is completely spot on, IMO.

One obvious point here that I feel is worth explicit mention is that had the band just kept recycling their previous styles we would have never gotten No Code, Binaural, Riot Act, and even Yield to some extent. If nothing else, history says we need to just relax and they will reward us.
  • ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    PS: But a double LP and World Tour would be cool too :D
  • YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534

Fantastic insight. I've always felt very good about the idea the guys taking a while between albums to not rush things. If taking part in more sde projects and other things helps them get their creative juices flowing, along with making and creating more music on their own terms and creating something that they are all happy with, I'm all for it. I do feel that they know they can do better, and make something completely different than Backspacer, and they want to. Just get that feeling.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    Stone did a interview today with some italian radio station (Brad is currently in Europe) and said that if everything goes according to plan then the album should be out in 9 to 12 months.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Stone did a interview today with some italian radio station (Brad is currently in Europe) and said that if everything goes according to plan then the album should be out in 9 to 12 months.

Very interesting! Thanks for posting...

Come on Greatest Hits Tour!!!! :D

Oh, they're all hits :oops:
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • vercemanverceman Posts: 679
    Stone did a interview today with some italian radio station (Brad is currently in Europe) and said that if everything goes according to plan then the album should be out in 9 to 12 months.

Do you have a link?
  • Stone did a interview today with some italian radio station (Brad is currently in Europe) and said that if everything goes according to plan then the album should be out in 9 to 12 months.

Ugh....but at least we have a time frame. :)
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • swan song?

seriously?

why do I keep clicking on these stupid threads?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • swan song?

seriously?

why do I keep clicking on these stupid threads?

Because you are a Huge Freakin Dill
    On! :D:lol:8-)
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351

one of the best quotes i've see on here in a while
    ctd
  • KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    ckravitz wrote:
    PS: But a double LP and World Tour would be cool too :D

THIS. Yes, please! :)
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV