Save the "river babies".

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
edited February 2013 in A Moving Train
By pure chance I came across a most excellent book this morning called One at a Time, A week in an American Animal Shelter by Dianne Leigh and Marilee Geyer. In the "Authors' Note" Leigh and Geyer remind us that we can help "save the river babies"- animals that literally or figuratively get thrown in the river because they weren't tagged properly and hadn't been found by their owners or weren't adopted out in time or because someone neglected to spay or neuter. At the time of this books writing, 2003, three to four million animals were being euthanized each year- about 405 each hour. I believe those figure have risen since then. Knowing this and reading the Preface and Author's Note and some of the animal's stories put me to tears but also gave me hope.

I also want to put in a pitch not only for adopting animals from a shelter (given that they will receive good care and love) but also put in a word for adopting the less "showy" animals. A lot of older animals get passed over and that's a shame. I've taken in two older dogs, both of whom are gone now, and they gave back in ways I can't find words for. Thank you Ari and Brandy, you sweet, sweet girls.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    brianlux wrote:
    By pure chance I came across a most excellent book this morning called One at a Time, A week in an American Animal Shelter by Dianne Leigh and Marilee Geyer. In the "Authors' Note" Leigh and Geyer remind us that we can help "save the river babies"- animals that literally or figuratively get thrown in the river because they weren't tagged properly and hadn't been found by their owners or weren't adopted out in time or because someone neglected to spay or neuter. At the time of this books writing, 2003, three to four million animals were being euthanized each year- about 405 each hour. I believe those figure have risen since then. Knowing this and reading the Preface and Author's Note and some of the animal's stories put me to tears but also gave me hope.

I also want to put in a pitch not only for adopting animals from a shelter (given that they will receive good care and love) but also put in a word for adopting the less "showy" animals. A lot of older animals get passed over and that's a shame. I've taken in two older dogs, both of whom are gone now, and they gave back in ways I can't find words for. Thank you Ari and Brandy, you sweet, sweet girls.

Try "They Cage the Animals at Night" .. I worked in shelters, it's not pretty. This book is worse and not much has changed. And I wish it was about animals.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    STAYSEA wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

Try "They Cage the Animals at Night" .. I worked in shelters, it's not pretty. This book is worse and not much has changed. And I wish it was about animals.

They Cage the Animals at Night is about abused kids, right? Another heartbreaking subject to be sure. :(
    So many people and animals both in need of help. We do what we can.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Two songs named "Animal"

Here we go again, I kinda want to be more than friends
    So take it easy on me, I'm afraid you're never satisfied
    Here we go again, we're sick like animals, we play pretend
    You're just a cannibal and I'm afraid I won't get out alive
    No, I won't sleep tonight

Oh, oh, I want some more
    Oh, oh, what are you waiting for?
    Take a bite of my heart tonight

Oh, oh, I want some more
    What are you waiting for?
    Say goodbye to my heart tonight

Here we are again, I feel the chemicals kicking in
    It's getting heavy and I want to run and hide
    I want to run and hide
    I do it every time, you're killing me now
    And I won't be denied by you, the animal inside of you

Oh, oh, I want some more
    Take a bite of my heart tonight

Oh, oh, I want some more
    What are you waiting for?
    Say goodbye to my heart tonight

Hush, hush, the world is quiet
    Hush, hush, we both can't fight it
    It's us that made this mess
    Why can't you understand?

Whoa, I won't sleep tonight
    I won't sleep tonight
    Here we go again

my favorite

One, two, three, four, five against one
    Five, five, against one
    Said one, two, three, four, five against one
    Five, five...five, five...five against one
    Torture from you to me
    Abducted from the street
    I'd rather be...
    I'd rather be with...
    I'd rather be with an animal
    Why would you wanna hurt me?
    So frightened of your pain...
    I'd rather be...
    I'd rather be with...
    I'd rather be...
    I'd rather be...
    I'd rather be...
    I'd rather be with...
    I'd rather be...
    I'd rather be with...
    Said one, two, three, four, five against one
    One, two, three, four, five against one
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    I like the fact that here in Louisville (and I am sure all over the country) we have several no kill shelters. Our local humane society does euthanize which makes me really sad. I will never understand how people can be so heartless as to abandon or not care for their animals. I love my pound puppies and we are getting ready to go back and adopt another dog!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • We took in a friend's dog who they kind of didn't want to care for anymore. He had bounced around from the husband's mom who died, to their family and then ours within two and a half years. Dosen't sound like much but he had some issues when he got to our place. He is the toast of the town now. Changed my black heart for a bit of the better. :)

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• I guess pet lovers come in all sizes and shapes..........

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/20 ... chair.html

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    My dog Ben (the adorable guy in my avatar) is a rescue. Rescuing him is probably the best decision I have ever made. I highly encourage anyone considering a pet to look at rescuing one.

And I also highly encourage anyone who isn't considering a pet but could have one to start. They will change your life for the better. Guaranteed.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Both of our cats are rescues, and it's a win-win - lots of love given and received. Our lives are so much richer because of them, and it goes both ways.

I wish people would fucking THINK about their ability to be responsible for and to these these animals before taking them in.

It's not like buying a shirt, for christ's sake.
    Great rescue stories, friends! Good job! :D So good also to hear others feel the same about being responsible toward these critters who need and deserve good care. That can't be stressed enough.

We'll be adopting again soon at home and are looking forward to a new companion or two.

Our store cat is getting old now but she still runs the joint and looks to have a good ways to go yet. She was a feral alley cat and found us- an easy mark. :lol: We were happy to take her in. She's queen of the roost!

• brianlux wrote:
    By pure chance I came across a most excellent book this morning called One at a Time, A week in an American Animal Shelter by Dianne Leigh and Marilee Geyer. In the "Authors' Note" Leigh and Geyer remind us that we can help "save the river babies"- animals that literally or figuratively get thrown in the river because they weren't tagged properly and hadn't been found by their owners or weren't adopted out in time or because someone neglected to spay or neuter. At the time of this books writing, 2003, three to four million animals were being euthanized each year- about 405 each hour. I believe those figure have risen since then. Knowing this and reading the Preface and Author's Note and

I also want to put in a pitch not only for adopting animals from a shelter (given that they will receive good care and love) but also put in a word for adopting the less "showy" animals. A lot of older animals get passed over and that's a shame. I've taken in two older dogs, both of whsom are gone now, and they gave back in ways I can't find words for. Thank you Ari and Brandy, you sweet, sweet girls.

17mm Americans get a new pet every year but only 20% adopt from shelters and rescues. If people weren't so selfish and got their pets from shelters instead of breeders and pet stores this wouldn't be a problem. Anyone who buys a pet from those places should be ashamed of themselves.

http://youtu.be/1o3QopK4WV8
  • My girlfriend and I foster pitbulls. The local humane society is occupied by 80% pitbull mixes. Because of their bad reputation they have to go through a more rigorous evaluation process before they are adoptable. Not many make it. We have had the opportunity to host about 6 in the last couple years. Right now we have Dink. He was rescued from a hoarder. He was emaciated, but has put on many healthy pounds in the last couple weeks. He is a good boy. He will find a home soon. Our own dog is such a sweet heart to let so many dogs come through our home.

I love dog stories. The Art of Racing in the Rain is a wonderful one.
    whgarrett wrote:
    My girlfriend and I foster pitbulls. The local humane society is occupied by 80% pitbull mixes. Because of their bad reputation they have to go through a more rigorous evaluation process before they are adoptable. Not many make it. We have had the opportunity to host about 6 in the last couple years. Right now we have Dink. He was rescued from a hoarder. He was emaciated, but has put on many healthy pounds in the last couple weeks. He is a good boy. He will find a home soon. Our own dog is such a sweet heart to let so many dogs come through our home.

I love dog stories. The Art of Racing in the Rain is a wonderful one.
    Good on ya! Pitts have such a terrible reputation, when in fact it's the assholes mistreating them who deserve it. My guy had one years ago, and she was a gentle, loyal, loving girl.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I worked in a shelter as a summer job one year. I would go with the "dog catcher" to nearby nursing homes with 2 small and friendly dogs, whom the residents lit up every time we would visit. These two little mutts were the reason the folks were happy, and they gave these people somewhat of a reason to live.

I have yet to own a dog (have had cats), but I've since vowed to only take animals that are unwanted or cannot be taken care of. I honestly don't understand the need to buy a puppy, perfectly bred and designed to be a certain way when there are so many animals that need a home as it is.
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I worked in a shelter as a summer job one year. I would go with the "dog catcher" to nearby nursing homes with 2 small and friendly dogs, whom the residents lit up every time we would visit. These two little mutts were the reason the folks were happy, and they gave these people somewhat of a reason to live.

I have yet to own a dog (have had cats), but I've since vowed to only take animals that are unwanted or cannot be taken care of. I honestly don't understand the need to buy a puppy, perfectly bred and designed to be a certain way when there are so many animals that need a home as it is.

I like to foster animals. You should check out #wlf on twitter.
  • I've been sensing that's its coming en vogue to have rescue dogs now. No? I know several very wealthy people who got their kids the pound puppies when they could afford purebred.
    Our dog unexpectedly died a few years back. He wasn't our first dog to leave us but he sure was the hardest one to get over.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I am so impressed by all of you who foster dogs. It is something I think about but I worry I would get too attached. How do you handle saying goodbye?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    I've been sensing that's its coming en vogue to have rescue dogs now. No? I know several very wealthy people who got their kids the pound puppies when they could afford purebred.
    Our dog unexpectedly died a few years back. He wasn't our first dog to leave us but he sure was the hardest one to get over.
    I'd hope it's not a trendy thing (plus, affluence doesn't automatically cancel out the act of rescuing an animal nor equates to foregoing a perfectly sweet dog from a shelter vs getting one with papers).

But yes, losing an animal is tough as shit, even when both you and they know it's that time.

JimmyV, I've wondered the same thing. How do you not fall in love with them? I guess knowing they're going to a loving and permanent home takes some of the sting away. I'm not sure I could do it though.
    You guys are awesome! :thumbup:

brianlux wrote:

You have no idea. I hate taking on new animals. They are always sick. Quarantine is such a pain.
    It's usually out of your own pocket! It's a big relief to find an adoptive parent. I will never buy a dog, I have never owned a dog. I find so many free dogs. I feel like Christopher Walken from "Seven psychopaths" . Only I just foster and rescue , never taken money. His character really had a good business till he took Bonnie!

I only have 2 rules. No Chihuahua or Yorkie type animals. Every thing else I will do. Scales, fins, feathers, fur, etc. I lived in Florida, and on craigslist... Fishermen get the small breed dogs for adoption, and use them as shark bait later in the day. Which dog, cat, animal deserves the best I can give? I have a very fat cranky cat he is 12 years old now, I went back to the shelter to adopt his brother and sister. They told me that they were going to kill all three because they were underweight. At the time I only had space for one. (I'm more into fish and reptiles) The next morning, my kitty's whole litter was snuffed. This is what got me super active.
    If I can, I will take the whole bucket of kitties, Fish, Puppies, Pregnant animals, and even rodents to my home till I find them homes... Some rodents are snake food though :oops:

I can't believe the DJ is playing every request of mine... :lol: He must be tired. Beastie boys and Cypress Hill with some Red hot Chilli Peppers, and some PJ... Good Night for me? Oh Snappy another Incubus. He copied and pasted my list! Lazy bones...

I only bought my turtles. :D
    JimmyV wrote:
    I am so impressed by all of you who foster dogs. It is something I think about but I worry I would get too attached. How do you handle saying goodbye?

It gets easy. After a while. I only cry about my possum, my monitor lizard, and my rabbit.
    You really need to ask the animal. How much do you hurt? You can see in their eyes.
    Can you go through this treatment, with not much pain?
    Many animals need approval to die, It's sad and I always stay with them, till the end.
    If you are an owner and can't handle that, at least give the Vet tech a smelly shirt that you wore...
    It's the last thing the animal smells... And they loved you. Not me, I am just a human. We hold it under the animal as they pass away. It's very peaceful for them, the smell of the owner.
    :?:
    STAYSEA wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

You have no idea. I hate taking on new animals. They are always sick. Quarantine is such a pain.
    It's usually out of your own pocket! It's a big relief to find an adoptive parent. I will never buy a dog, I have never owned a dog. I find so many free dogs. I feel like Christopher Walken from "Seven psychopaths" . Only I just foster and rescue , never taken money. His character really had a good business till he took Bonnie!

I only have 2 rules. No Chihuahua or Yorkie type animals. Every thing else I will do. Scales, fins, feathers, fur, etc. I lived in Florida, and on craigslist... Fishermen get the small breed dogs for adoption, and use them as shark bait later in the day. Which dog, cat, animal deserves the best I can give? I have a very fat cranky cat he is 12 years old now, I went back to the shelter to adopt his brother and sister. They told me that they were going to kill all three because they were underweight. At the time I only had space for one. (I'm more into fish and reptiles) The next morning, my kitty's whole litter was snuffed. This is what got me super active.
    If I can, I will take the whole bucket of kitties, Fish, Puppies, Pregnant animals, and even rodents to my home till I find them homes... Some rodents are snake food though :oops:

I can't believe the DJ is playing every request of mine... :lol: He must be tired. Beastie boys and Cypress Hill with some Red hot Chilli Peppers, and some PJ... Good Night for me? Oh Snappy another Incubus. He copied and pasted my list! Lazy bones...

I only bought my turtles. :D

The "new" animals I've ever bought were a pair of rosellas (Australian parrots). This was about 30 years ago during my first marriage and one night something scared the two birds and my wife and I such that the four of us awoke simultaneously screaming. It was WEIRD! I think it was natures way of saying "something's wrong here". I'll never buy animals from a pet store again. Supposedly the birds were bred domestically but never-the-less for me personally I don't like the idea of having exotic pets. There are plenty of local animals in need of a good home.

The "new" animals I've ever bought were a pair of rosellas (Australian parrots). This was about 30 years ago during my first marriage and one night something scared the two birds and my wife and I such that the four of us awoke simultaneously screaming. It was WEIRD! I think it was natures way of saying "something's wrong here". I'll never buy animals from a pet store again. Supposedly the birds were bred domestically but never-the-less for me personally I don't like the idea of having exotic pets. There are plenty of local animals in need of a good home.[/quote]

I suck at quotes.. Exotic animals usually have the worst life. That is always why they are my number ones.
    I rescued a snake that was so dehydrated she drank half her bowl of water immediately. I've never have seen a snake drink that much. Parrots are passed around like town bicycles, Most out live their owners, and need Hours of attention everyday. I share chinese food with some parrots, others play fetch. The one I fostered, I was lazy and just let him sit and play with my hair while I was on the computer. I am one of the few that is capable of fostering homeless exotics no one understands, and that breaks my heart. Prairie Dogs really get me, it's sad.

This probably makes no sense to anyone. I don't care. It's a moving train....

Don't make me cry B! I was having a good day....