Upstate NY

sinnfeinersinnfeiner Posts: 14
edited February 2013 in The Porch
As a long time Pearl Jam fan (since the very beginning) I have tried to go to as many shows as possible. With every new album and every new tour I get my hopes up that somewhere in Upstate NY will be listed on the tour and every year I am heart broken to see we are over looked. I will continue to travel as far as need be to see Pearl Jam but I can't help but feel that the Syracuse area gets slighted by Pearl Jam for some unknown offense we may have caused the Band.
10/27/91 Rochester NY, 11/7/91 Syracuse NY, 8/4/92 Saratoga NY, 4/7/94 Rochester NY, 10/1/96 Buffalo NY, 8/27/2000 Saratoga NY, 4/29/03 Albany NY, 10/12/13 Buffalo NY
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm sure the folks in major southern cities feel bad for your decision to live in a minor city in the middle of nowhere.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • My first show was at the Landmark; and although I've always hoped they would come back, I don't think there is a venue suitable for them. I think the War Memorial is too small and the Dome is too big...the best option would be Vernon Downs and that is not ideal. I would love Ed to come to the Landmark on his next Northeast solo tour. We can always dream. Go 'Cuse!
    "You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."- Abraham Lincoln
  • I'm sure the folks in major southern cities feel bad for your decision to live in a minor city in the middle of nowhere.

I don't live in the middle of no where thank you, i live in the 4th largest city in NY. We are home to the largest arena in all of college basketball, the Syracuse Carrier Dome, which seats as few as 38k for a basketball up to as many as 100k, which they got for the Rolling Stones. Every major band from the 80's, 90's and of recent have played here except Pearl Jam. They play in a lot smaller cities than Syracuse every time they tour.
    10/27/91 Rochester NY, 11/7/91 Syracuse NY, 8/4/92 Saratoga NY, 4/7/94 Rochester NY, 10/1/96 Buffalo NY, 8/27/2000 Saratoga NY, 4/29/03 Albany NY, 10/12/13 Buffalo NY
  • My first show was at the Landmark; and although I've always hoped they would come back, I don't think there is a venue suitable for them. I think the War Memorial is too small and the Dome is too big...the best option would be Vernon Downs and that is not ideal. I would love Ed to come to the Landmark on his next Northeast solo tour. We can always dream. Go 'Cuse!

We can always hope maybe they will come play Harbor Fest up in Oswego lol. Rochester would be doable too though I don't think Rochester has any place as big as the Carrier Dome. I think the only reason they have never played the Dome is because of the price the university and ticketmaster demand to book the place. it was over 100 dollars a ticket t ogo see the Stones there and that was nose bleed section. They could do the Fairgrounds if it was a summer show like when lollapolooza was there in 96.
  • ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075
    C'mon Ed's always dedicating songs to Ithaca... Utica... and Poughkeepsie. They don't forget us. Srsly, they've done Buffalo 96 and 03 and Albany 03 and 06. 2 hours either way from Syracuse. Agreed that there is no appropriate "right-size" venue for them though,
  • sinnfeiner wrote:
    I'm sure the folks in major southern cities feel bad for your decision to live in a minor city in the middle of nowhere.

I don't live in the middle of no where thank you, i live in the 4th largest city in NY. We are home to the largest arena in all of college basketball, the Syracuse Carrier Dome, which seats as few as 38k for a basketball up to as many as 100k, which they got for the Rolling Stones. Every major band from the 80's, 90's and of recent have played here except Pearl Jam. They play in a lot smaller cities than Syracuse every time they tour.

Complex? :lol:

It's 5th in NY, but who's counting?

Cities with higher populations:

Elk Grove, CA
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Brownsville, TX
    Overland Park, KS
    Yonkers, NY

:lol:

Even Jim Boeheim says you're in the middle of nowhere.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • sinnfeiner wrote:
    I'm sure the folks in major southern cities feel bad for your decision to live in a minor city in the middle of nowhere.

Elk Grove, CA
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Brownsville, TX
    Overland Park, KS
    Yonkers, NY

I remember when Pearl Jam fans weren't smug know-it-alls. Thank you for your enlightening statistics; the enrichment that you have contributed to this thread is overwhelmingly.
    "You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."- Abraham Lincoln
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Feelin' the love in this thread! :lol:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    ceska wrote:
    C'mon Ed's always dedicating songs to Ithaca... Utica... and Poughkeepsie. They don't forget us. Srsly, they've done Buffalo 96 and 03 and Albany 03 and 06. 2 hours either way from Syracuse. Agreed that there is no appropriate "right-size" venue for them though,
    I'm STILL bummed that I missed the Buffalo '10 show...
    I would've finally gotten FATAL if I had gone!!!!
    I don't think they've played it since this show either :(
    :ugeek:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Glad to see some fellow Central New Yorkers out there. I would happily travel to anything within 2-3 hours drive of Syracuse.
    Detroit: 10/16/14
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    i've always thought rochester's war memorial makes more sense than any venue in buffalo or syracuse since it'd draw the fans from all 3 cities, but i've heard we were blacklisted since ed got upset at some assholes at the 94 show. 19 years later i think it's safe to assume they're never coming closer than buffalo or toronto.
  • clark_pclark_p Posts: 203
    The dome has never had 38,000 for a basketball game or 100,000 for anything.
    More like 33,000 and 65,000.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    sinnfeiner wrote:

Elk Grove, CA
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Brownsville, TX
    Overland Park, KS
    Yonkers, NY

Wait..., Overland Park has a higher population??? Wow glad I left!
  • sinnfeiner wrote:
    As a long time Pearl Jam fan (since the very beginning) I have tried to go to as many shows as possible. With every new album and every new tour I get my hopes up that somewhere in Upstate NY will be listed on the tour and every year I am heart broken to see we are over looked. I will continue to travel as far as need be to see Pearl Jam but I can't help but feel that the Syracuse area gets slighted by Pearl Jam for some unknown offense we may have caused the Band.

Isn't it funny how just about every major artist seems to slight Syracuse? Lousy venue, lousy town, lousy parking, middle of nowhere. Is it any wonder Pearl Jam doesn't play there considering their very limited US tour schedule?
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    They could play the fair.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    sinnfeiner wrote:
    My first show was at the Landmark; and although I've always hoped they would come back, I don't think there is a venue suitable for them. I think the War Memorial is too small and the Dome is too big...the best option would be Vernon Downs and that is not ideal. I would love Ed to come to the Landmark on his next Northeast solo tour. We can always dream. Go 'Cuse!

We can always hope maybe they will come play Harbor Fest up in Oswego lol. Rochester would be doable too though I don't think Rochester has any place as big as the Carrier Dome. I think the only reason they have never played the Dome is because of the price the university and ticketmaster demand to book the place. it was over 100 dollars a ticket t ogo see the Stones there and that was nose bleed section. They could do the Fairgrounds if it was a summer show like when lollapolooza was there in 96.

I believe it's not in the Harborfest budget to ever have a band like PJ to play. :lol:

Otherwise, Syracuse just isn't a big hub for shows for any bands anymore. Even Albany is slighted in favor of being 3 hours from the City or Boston...
  • AndoAndo Denver Posts: 410
    syracuse will never host a pearl jam concert its not worth complaining about. I lived there for 25 years and your right the venues just dont fit. However i thought it was awesome because your only 4 to 5 hours from Cleveland, Boston, NYC, Philly and Toronto. Plus 2 hours from buffalo and albany. SO when they do go on tour you get 6 awesome destinations to go check out.
  • Ando wrote:
    syracuse will never host a pearl jam concert its not worth complaining about. I lived there for 25 years and your right the venues just dont fit. However i thought it was awesome because your only 4 to 5 hours from Cleveland, Boston, NYC, Philly and Toronto. Plus 2 hours from buffalo and albany. SO when they do go on tour you get 6 awesome destinations to go check out.

Couldn't say it any better.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I'd choose upstate NY before trying for the Garden seats again ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • sinnfeiner wrote:

Isn't it funny how just about every major artist seems to slight Syracuse? Lousy venue, lousy town, lousy parking, middle of nowhere. Is it any wonder Pearl Jam doesn't play there considering their very limited US tour schedule?

Its actually funny that PearlJam is really the only major artist(s) to slight Syracuse. I've seen Dave Matthew's, Tool, The Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, The Ramones, Phish, Sound Garden, Elton John/Billy Joel, and Bob Dylan just to name a few and those are just the ones I went to. There are a couple of places they could play that are outside venues and they have definitely played smaller cities.

And to everyone else who posted in negativity, I wasn't complaining and never will complain about how far I have to travel to see a show.
  • i think the SPAC show in 2000 was the last time

wish i would've made it to that one, but i was 16 and without a car

i hope they make it back there one day, but i highly doubt it
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • sinnfeiner wrote:

Elk Grove, CA
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Brownsville, TX
    Overland Park, KS
    Yonkers, NY

Fuck yeah, YO. Yonkers, NY represent!! :lol: And the census data is short by probably 20-30,00! We have a large undocumented contigent in our city... And as a matter of fact Pearl Jam HAS played here. Tower Records back in the day! My first show and the first place I ever bought Pearl Jam tickets! Damn I miss Tower.. Ok, back to the game... Go Niners!
    "It's so nice to hear that in other parts of the world, the stress- borne from envy- that one finds for themselves is the animosity they develop towards a person selling a box of records. How fortunate!" ~ Thirty Bills Unpaid

MLMF NYC