Options

U N C L E *B R U C E* S P R I N G S T E E N *

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Damn book is making me cry at the end, talking about the passing Danny and Clarence. This is such a great biography. One of my favorites that I've ever read.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Finished "Bruce" last night. Great bio. It's definitely one of my favorite biographies, along with "John Lennon: The Life." I may end up reading it again when the semester is over.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Trailer for the fan made DVD/Blu Ray of last year's Paris night 1 show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKkNIrlH ... tu.be&hd=1
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Better Dan wrote:
    Trailer for the fan made DVD/Blu Ray of last year's Paris night 1 show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKkNIrlH ... tu.be&hd=1

a 43 minute trailer?
    :shock:
    :lol:

I love when the house lights come on ,
    and you can see the entire crowd going ballistic !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/201 ... digs_d.php

shuffle.jpg

E Street Shuffle: The Glory Days of Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
    By Clinton Heylin
    Viking, 352 pp., $27.95.

Capping a trilogy of recent, impressive Springsteen bios that also includes Marc Dolan's Bruce Springsteen and the Promise of Rock and Roll and Peter Ames Carlin's semi-authorized Bruce, noted music journalist Heylin digs a bit deeper for the hardcore fan in this tome originally published in England.

Heylin is a fine journalist, a writer whose Behind the Shades remains the definitive Dylan bio, but his strength has always lay in his near-obsessive attention to detail. So those looking for a more general or sociological bio might look elsewhere, as E Street Shuffle is mostly concerned with the minutiae of the music.

Thus, through original interviews and previous quotes -- as well as his own analysis--Heylin goes deep into Springsteen's songwriting process, unreleased and rare songs, concert recordings, bootlegs, and even Bruce's intense mind-wrestling with song sequencing on records.

And there's much to work with. After all, Bruce is a guy who released Tracks, a 4-CD box set of songs he didn't think were good enough to make their intended albums -- and he has hundreds of more in those vaults at Thrill Hill.

Heylin's section on Nebraska is particularly worth noting, for how the album was conceived and executed as well as Springsteen's thoughts that it would become his own John Wesley Harding.

Ironically, the E Street Band themselves only make fleeting appearances. Most members are mentioned or quoted only briefly, and a few names don't appear at all. A bit odd, considering the book's focus is on the E Street's first era albums up through Tunnel of Love only. (Note - the U.S. edition has excised Heylin's 100-page song-by-song analysis, as well as the color photo section).

As mentioned, E Street Shuffle is definitely for the more committed Bruce fan, but Heylin's own commitment to the material and the music is more than evident.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Finally got the "Tracks" Box. Just got to "Thundercrack" and i'm wondering how this didn't make it on an album. This guys is amazing. Always liked him, but his 80's stuff kinda threw me off the scent a bit.

Decided to really give him a try after he played the Super Bowl. I'm so glad i've taken my time getting his albums and really letting them gestate before jumping on to another.
    He has easily become one of the biggest influences on my songwriting.

better late than never i suppose!!
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    Finally got the "Tracks" Box. Just got to "Thundercrack" and i'm wondering how this didn't make it on an album. This guys is amazing. Always liked him, but his 80's stuff kinda threw me off the scent a bit.

Decided to really give him a try after he played the Super Bowl. I'm so glad i've taken my time getting his albums and really letting them gestate before jumping on to another.

Thundercrack is awesome live.
    I hope you get to witness the spectacle in person-
    if you get the chance jump on it !
    You will not be disappointed, not even a little bit.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    the wolf wrote:

Thundercrack is awesome live.
    I hope you get to witness the spectacle in person-
    if you get the chance jump on it !
    You will not be disappointed, not even a little bit.

My girl and I were talking about this the other day while watching the Hyde Park blu-ray.

We've been together for just over 2 years, and she knows how much his music means to me.
    She couldnt believe I've yet to see him live.
    She said "Next time he's near, we are going!!" She makes me :D
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,237
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    I have heard that previously--
    Amazing - wonder how many outtakes there are-
    probably a box set or two worth !

:thumbup:

Here's a starting point for you:

http://www.alllossless.com/bruce-spring ... 2003-flac/
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    the wolf wrote:

Check out the evolution of " Thundercrack"

1970s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibvjG14A ... r_embedded

March 29 2012
    Philadelphia
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... nPxmotDMTE
    Post edited by Bathgate66 on
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    ilockyer wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

holy bejeebus- 21 CDs worth ! :shock:
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    ilockyer wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

holy bejeebus- 21 CDs worth ! :shock:
    I've listened to the first two. 8-)
  • Options
    10 Most Striking Bruce Springsteen Lyrics

do you all agree ?

http://blogs.wickedlocal.com/springstee ... z2JHorWvqT

1 “Is a dream a lie if it don’t come true, or is it something worse?,” from “The River” off The River, 324 votes, 8%.

2 “Show a little faith, there’s magic in the night,” from “Thunder Road” off Born to Run, 200 votes, 5%.

3 “Ain’t no sin to be glad you’re alive,” from “Badlands” off Darkness on the Edge of Town, 183 votes, 4%.

4 “Barefoot girl sitting on the hood of a Dodge, drinking warm beer in the soft summer rain,” from “Jungleland” off Born to Run, 162 votes, 4%.

5 “Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted,” from “Promised Land” off Darkness on the Edge of Town, 158 votes, 4%.

6 “It’s a sad man my friend who’s livin’ in his own skin and can’t stand the company,” from “Better Days” off Lucky Town, 147 votes, 4%.

7 “She stares off alone into the night, with the eyes of one who hates for just being born,” from “Racing in the Street” off Darkness on the Edge of Town, 138 votes, 3%.

8 “Tonight my baby and me we’re gonna ride to the sea and wash these sins off our hands,” from “Racing in the Street” off Darkness on the Edge of Town, 138 votes, 3%.

9 “Poets down here don’t write nothing at all, they just stand back and let it all be,” from “Jungleland” off Born to Run, 136 votes, 3%.

10 “You’ve got to learn to live with what you can’t rise above,” from “Tunnel of Love” off Tunnel of Love, 120 votes, 3%.

Of course, when you notice how many of those top responses are in the 3%-4% range, you can tell how varied the choices were — in fact, each of the 70 poll options got at least a few votes, and the third most popular response was actually “Other answer” — we got well over 100 additional suggestions that didn’t make our original list. Proof positive that when it comes to songwriting, the man’s got some chops.

As for what those “other answers” were, here are the ones people mentioned the most often, with the first being far and away No. 1 among the add-ons:
    “God have mercy on the man who doubts what he’s sure of,” from “Brilliant Disguise” off Tunnel of Love.
    “We learned more from a three-minute record, baby, than we ever learned in school,” from “No Surrender” off Born in the USA.
    “It’s a town full of losers and I’m pulling out of here to win,” from “Thunder Road” off Born to Run.
    “You ain’t a beauty, but hey, you’re alright,” from “Thunder Road” off Born to Run.
    “Poor man wanna be rich, rich man wanna be king, and a king ain’t satisfied till he rules everything,” from “Badlands” off Darkness on the Edge of Town.
    “Well if I had one wish in this God-forsaken world, kids, it’d be that your mistakes would be your own,” from “Long Time Comin’” off Devils and Dust.

For a sampling of the other reader suggestions check out this Google doc. You can see how your favorite line did in the poll by checking out the full results here, and check out some of the other suggestions in the post comments here. (Although you may want to skip over that discussion about “Reno.”)

And the takeaway? I guess it’s that for those of us who’ve followed his work through the years, Bruce Springsteen’s words, phrases and images continue to be inextricably interwoven in our hearts and minds — available at a moment’s notice to help us give context and clarity to almost any situation we find ourselves in. If there’s a higher compliment to a songwriter, I don’t know what it is.

Read more: POLL RESULTS: Top 10 ‘Most Striking’ Springsteen Lines & Lyrics | Blogness on the Edge of Town http://blogs.wickedlocal.com/springstee ... z2JHpDV4CZ
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Watched disc 1 of the London Hyde Park DVD for the first time yesterday. :shock:

Going to put on disc 2 this afternoon.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    Watched disc 1 of the London Hyde Park DVD for the first time yesterday. :shock:

You're in for a treat. That DVD was the icing on the cake for me becoming a Bruce fan. After watching it, I said I had to see him live...and I did, 2 years later. Watching it and having it on the surround sound is unbelievable.
  • Options
    Bathgate,

any of those "Other Answers" could have been in the top 10. The guy is that good.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:

You're in for a treat. That DVD was the icing on the cake for me becoming a Bruce fan. After watching it, I said I had to see him live...and I did, 2 years later. Watching it and having it on the surround sound is unbelievable.

I look forward to it. Did you ever see that Live in Dublin with the Sessions Band release? I've been thinking about purchasing that for a while.
  • Options
    This London Hyde Park DVD, is it a Bootleg DVD ?
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    This London Hyde Park DVD, is it a Bootleg DVD ?
    :shock:

http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Springsteen ... pringsteen
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:

I look forward to it. Did you ever see that Live in Dublin with the Sessions Band release? I've been thinking about purchasing that for a while.
    Nope. I have the NYC and Barcelona DVDs also.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Nope. I have the NYC and Barcelona DVDs also.

Yes, those are great! I bought the Barcelona DVD when it came out but for some reason only purchased NYC a few months ago and didn't jump on London 09 when it came out either. The Dublin show is supposed to be really good. If I get that soon I'll post my thoughts on it. 8-)
  • Options
    Max to be on The Simpsons

394773_552572358086232_24309552_n.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,237
    The London DVD is OK, but it's not the best representation of the band on that tour. By the end of that show they'd played for 6 hours out of the previous 24, and you can hear the strain in Bruce's voice as the show goes on.
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    any good site that has Sringsteen interviews in any kind of chornological order?
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    any good site that has Sringsteen interviews in any kind of chornological order?

Call me Captain Obvious, but have you tried YouTube?
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    http://blog.gactv.com/blog/2013/01/02/k ... ringsteen/

Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill and Emmylou Harris are just a few stars who will be honoring Bruce Springsteen as the 2013 MusiCares Person of the Year at a special event celebrating his exceptional artistic achievements as well as his philanthropic work. The event will take place Friday, Feb. 8 at the Los Angeles Convention Center, West Hall.

MusiCares Person of the Year tribute is one of the most prestigious events held during GRAMMY Week. The celebration culminates with the 55th Annual GRAMMY Awards® on Sunday, Feb. 10 at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles. The telecast will be broadcast live on CBS at 8 p.m. ET/PT. The MusiCares gala event is completely sold out.

Additional artists in the lineup are: Alabama Shakes, Jackson Browne, Ben Harper, Jim James, Elton John, Juanes, John Legend, Natalie Maines, Tom Morello, Mumford & Sons, Patti Smith, Mavis Staples, Sting, Eddie Vedder and Neil Young. The show will be hosted by Jon Stewart.

Proceeds from the annual Person of the Year tribute — now in its 23rd year — provide essential support for MusiCares, which ensures that music people have a place to turn in times of financial, medical, and personal need.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Anyone see this from Rolling Stone?
    I had seen the other version floating around, but never by this one from joanou
    this is great ! I saw U2 on this tour in 1987 but not with The Boss !

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHNbvIpl ... _embedded#!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/video ... 7-20130129

U2 was nearly done with their set at Philadelphia's JFK Stadium on September 25th, 1987 when a roadie brought out another microphone stand. "Anybody else want to play my guitar?" Bono asked the crowd. "Would Bruce Springsteen like to play my guitar?" As Bono literally bowed down before Springsteen, the crowd went insane. "I guess you guys know him," Bono said. "Is he a local boy or something?" They proceeded to play "Stand By Me" (though it would have been far cooler if he'd come out for the previous song: U2's groupie ode "Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl").

Bono had dislocated his shoulder during a Washington, D.C. show five days earlier, and he brought fans onstage over the next few days to play the guitar. It's unclear exactly why Springsteen was at the show that day, but Little Steven & the Disciples of Soul were opening up. It's quite possible he was catching up with his once and future bandmate and got coaxed into coming onstage.

This collaboration was filmed by filmmaker Phil Joanou for his U2 documentary Rattle and Hum, but it wound up on the cutting room floor. Somehow or another, many hours of raw footage from the film fell into the hands of fans, circulating in collector circles for years. (Maybe some day an industrious fan will edit it into a better movie.)

In 2002, Bono returned the favor by joining Springsteen and the E Street Band for "Because the Night" at a Miami show. Three years later, Springsteen inducted U2 into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, duetting with them on "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." Springsteen went to MetLife Stadium in 2011 to check out U2's 360 tour, but he never made it onto the stage – though Bono did wrap up the show by reciting the lyrics to "Jungleland" as a tribute to the late Clarence Clemons.

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHNbvIpl ... _embedded#!
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    the wolf wrote:

Call me Captain Obvious, but have you tried YouTube?

yeah, i've been digging into you youtube for interviews, but i'm looking more for "print" interviews from magazines. Older stuff so i can read about cettain albums and tours.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    platessmall.jpg