BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
edited January 2013 in Other Music
Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I could never get into them. Bought and listened to "De-Loused in the Comatorium," saw them live -- nothing.

I certainly recognize why they were so loved by critics and most musicgeeks, but they just didn't strike a chord with this musicgeek.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    dankind wrote:
    I could never get into them. Bought and listened to "De-Loused in the Comatorium," saw them live -- nothing.

I certainly recognize why they were so loved by critics and most musicgeeks, but they just didn't strike a chord with this musicgeek.

I really need to be in the mood to listen to them.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I loved De Loused and Frances the Mute. They started to lose me after that.

Very talented. I still consider them one of the best live shows i ever saw. Loved it.

all talented musicians i hope they can move on to other great things
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    That's a big shame. I saw them live once and they were good but it did feel like 1 long song. Some people will just be turned off by that. I always looked forward to a new Mars Volta release. Maybe they will resolve their differences one day, seems to be the trend these days. Hell Black Flag are playing a show this year.
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,647
    Saw them on the Frances tour in Montreal and Toronto and those were amazing shows. Cassandra Gemini as the encore? Yes please. Can't beat that choice.

Saw them a couple years after that in Edmonton and was not close to the same quality of show.

Also, I have all of their stuff on vinyl except Deloused and on alot of the records it does not stop spinning automatically, I have to go up to my player and stop it. Don't know if it is because of the funky colored vinyl or what, but I thought that was quite strange.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    intodeep wrote:
    all talented musicians i hope they can move on to other great things

I'm pretty sure their keyboard player is in Jack White's all male backing band.
    May 30th wrote:
    Also, I have all of their stuff on vinyl except Deloused and on alot of the records it does not stop spinning automatically, I have to go up to my player and stop it. Don't know if it is because of the funky colored vinyl or what, but I thought that was quite strange.

I don't know what the deal is. Only things I can guess that they think the weird endless loop kinda fits their music or they wanna make sure you're paying attention.

I think they put out a nice collection of albums, without any major missteps. I really enjoy them all. Don't think they ever topped Deloused...Personal favorite is Amputechture and I feel like that was the best at full realizing their vision.

Saw a couple shows in 08 and 09 and both were solid, but the first one was amazing. Just 2 1/2 hours of nonstop musical mayhem. They tore it up.
  • Options
    Saw them open for the Red Hot Chili Peppers in 2007. Thought they were great. Haven't listened to them much in the last few years though.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    one of the most creative bands out their... heard they have a great live show.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    :cry:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    intodeep wrote:
    I loved De Loused and Frances the Mute. They started to lose me after that.

+1

Loved the first two albums and saw them on their first tour behind Deloused. Only having one album at the time, they jammed for over 2 hours. I've seen them 5+ times, the last time was opening for Soundgarden in 2011. They were playing all new songs in an opening set and kinda lost me.
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    Very sad for me. Most definitely my 2nd fave band of all time behind PJ. Saw them 9x. Sad to see the end this way. They were definitely an acquired taste. Really looking forward to Cedric's solo album and hope their future projects are awesome.
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    I'm pretty sure their keyboard player is in Jack White's all male backing band.

Yep, he is, met him one night in Lincoln, NE with his other band Free Moral Agents. Such a nice guy. Took his band's vinyl I gave him to sign and went and made his other bandmates sign it too. I didn't ask him to do it.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Big shame for sure. Extremely talented band that I wish I got to see live. I remember hearing 'The Widow' for the first time in middle school and being so blown away. Was right around the time I started heavily getting into music and it really hit me. Been casually listening since, but I think it's time to listen a bit deeper!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    it would be cool to see At the drive In reform and record another album.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    Cedric That Omar Just Isn't Holy Anymore.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    I heard of them over the years, but never really got into their music. It is too bad though.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    Sucks for their fans. They had something different going on for a fairly mainstream rock act.

Personally, I thought their music was superfluously complex..
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    I cant fucking believe this, how did i not find out about this. I need to join twitter wtf.

OMG one of the best bands ever, so many great muscians were in this band and everything. SO glad I saw ATDI on their reunion and TMV, looks like there will be bad blood for years to come.

I saw Bosnian Rainbows and they were sucky.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Bring back At The Drive In!

Relationship on Command !!.... 8-)

I saw Mars 2 times opening for profoundly Good bands.(Tool and System of a Down)
    I gotta say I was :| But Incredible nights regardless.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I actually liked Sparta more.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    De-Loused was something else. I remember when that record came out and it blew my mind. Still does. But never really followed them after that, with Frances The Mute and 11 minute songs I just went off them. Saw them live in Manchester probably 9 or 10 years back and they were amazing to watch.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    saw them live opening for RHCP. Absolutely mind bogglingly terrible.

RHCP weren't that great either.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    saw them live opening for RHCP. Absolutely mind bogglingly terrible.

RHCP weren't that great either.

Never one to mince words. :lol:
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,250
    Always found them an easy band to admire, but a difficult band to like, if that makes sense. Liked Deloused and Frances the Mute, got completely lost after that.

Shame they've broken up though, undoubtedly talented musicians.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Its just as well as far as I am concerned. Deloused was awesome and parts of Francis too but the rest was really only good if you were on acid.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.