Looks like Jeff gets to watch the Sonics again

foriginalsinforiginalsin Posts: 693
edited January 2013 in The Porch
Congrats Seattle, basketball is back.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BrandonBrandon Posts: 157
    Sad, i'm a kings fan.

but they'll still be the Kings... the name and history was sold with the sonics.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Brandon wrote:
    Sad, i'm a kings fan.

but they'll still be the Kings... the name and history was sold with the sonics.

I thought when the Sonics went to Oklahoma, the name and records all stayed with Seattle as part of the deal. So in case they get a new team, they would just resume with the Sonics name and all their old records. If this is the true, I would think Kings logo and records will remain with Sacramento.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,251
    The Sonics are back:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/1/21/3 ... -keep-name

Seattle Sonics fans were outraged when their team moved away back in 2008. However, with new developments in the sale of the Sacramento Kings franchise, we may see the Sonics name restored in the NBA once again.

According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, the Kings will change their name to the Sonics if the team is moved to Seattle. Officially they would be the SuperSonics, dating back to the original name from 1967.

When the Sonics franchise made the move to Oklahoma City, the name did not go along with the team. A settlement reached back in 2008 preserved the chances of a basketball team playing in Seattle in the future. With these actions taken, Seattle ensured the history of the Sonics would remain in its city.

A deal is in place for the Kings to be sold to a Seattle group, and the plan all along has been to change the name, pending an official deal. The Sonics history remains in Seattle, so if the move is made, their name will be restored.
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• BrandonBrandon Posts: 157
    i hope sac pulls off a deal to keep the team, there is no way an investor will ever bring pro sports back into sacramento.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Brandon wrote:
    Sad, i'm a kings fan.

I thought when the Sonics went to Oklahoma, the name and records all stayed with Seattle as part of the deal. So in case they get a new team, they would just resume with the Sonics name and all their old records. If this is the true, I would think Kings logo and records will remain with Sacramento.

Not sure if they'll use the name or the history, but you're right about the items staying with Seattle.

I thought I remember one of the announcers saying "this is the first Finals appearance for the franchise since 96" during OKC's run last year.

According to wiki....
    "According to the settlement, items associated with the SuperSonics' history in Seattle, including trophies, banners, and retired jerseys, stayed in the city and it was placed in the Museum of History and Industry."
  • DewieCox wrote:
    Brandon wrote:
    Sad, i'm a kings fan.

Not sure if they'll use the name or the history, but you're right about the items staying with Seattle.

I thought I remember one of the announcers saying "this is the first Finals appearance for the franchise since 96" during OKC's run last year.

According to wiki....
    "According to the settlement, items associated with the SuperSonics' history in Seattle, including trophies, banners, and retired jerseys, stayed in the city and it was placed in the Museum of History and Industry."
    which is also why the Thunder don't have Sonics throwbacks
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    DewieCox wrote:
    Brandon wrote:
    Sad, i'm a kings fan.

According to wiki....

I'm not sure either, I thought at the time it was like when the old Browns moved to Baltimore, and once the new Browns started- they just picked up all their old records and stuff and incorporated them like they never left.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,071
    I'm really hoping Seattle gets an NHL team with that new arena they are building. It would be awesome to be able to go see hockey games without having to deal with all the BS from insane/misguided Canucks fans :)
  • always loved the sonics. Been using the 1996 team on 2k13 for xbox. shawn kemp and gary payton are coming out of retirement! jk
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    always loved the sonics. Been using the 1996 team on 2k13 for xbox. shawn kemp and gary payton are coming out of retirement! jk

might be better than what they are going to get from sacremento.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    always loved the sonics. Been using the 1996 team on 2k13 for xbox. shawn kemp and gary payton are coming out of retirement! jk

might be better than what they are going to get from sacremento.

The shittiest part of Seattle moving to OKC is that they could have had KD,(once in a lifetime talent) and Westbrook. Now theyre gonna get DeMarcus Cousins, (Hes good but his crazy gene negates that) and Tyreke Evans. Kinda feel bad for Jeff.

Sucks for Sacramento. The have a great fan-base. Seattle and OKC also have great ones, so at least the team isnt moving to a shitty fan-base.

Unlike the Miami, we come to games after the first quarter ends, fan-base.
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    We have the rights to the logos and Supersonics name. Rumors are Phil Jackson will be coming in to be a part of the organization in some capacity. (Hopefully to Coach) We will go after a top GM and gut the roster and do a massive rebuild. Likely only Cousins and Evans would be there long term. Money will be no issue.
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• teskeinc wrote:
    We have the rights to the logos and Supersonics name. Rumors are Phil Jackson will be coming in to be a part of the organization in some capacity. (Hopefully to Coach) We will go after a top GM and gut the roster and do a massive rebuild. Likely only Cousins and Evans would be there long term. Money will be no issue.

Are you selling the season ticket packages?

Because there's not a chance half of what you said is coming true (especially your last sentence since there's a pretty prohibitive tax/cap that even the Knicks are trying to avoid). :lol:

I'd also love to see Phil Jackson go anywhere near a team that's not ready to win a Championship. :lol:
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Phil Jackson is not hobbling through that door.
  • BS90546BS90546 Toronto Posts: 143
    +1000
    Phil Jackson is not hobbling through that door.
  • CornishManCornishMan Cornwall, UK Posts: 420
    It will be great to have hoops back in Seattle. I always loved the Sonics and was gutted when they left (especially after the way it happened).

But on the other hand I feel really bad for Sacramento and their great fans. Basketball was always going to return to Seattle eventually... it is too tempting a market for the NBA to stay away forever. So although I was sad when the Sonics left, we always knew it was just a short term absence.

But Sacramento is a differnt story. It is such a small market that when they lose their team, I wonder if they will ever get the Kings back? There are loads of cities that will be more enticing for future NBA franchises than Sacramento. It's a real shame, but I fear we might never see pro basketball in Sacramento again.

It's a shame the Sonics couldn't make their return via another means. Of course, expansion was always going to be out of the question for a long, long time.

Thrilled that basketball will be back in Seattle, but it is kind of bittersweet.
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022.