******** YOUR PHILADELPHIA EAGLES ********

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    The Fixer wrote:
    having a good defense helps, but the nfl is all about offense these days. it's pretty obvious..especially since you're not allowed to tackle guys anymore.

top 10 nfl defenses this year

pitt
    denver
    sf
    chicago
    seattle
    cincy
    houst
    jets
    carolina

point proven

also, john harbaugh isn't really a defensive coach. he might have coached a defensive position for a year or two with the eagles, but he's not a hardcore defensive guy.

offense predicates whether you win or lose. defense can help you lose games, but it's not going to win in today's nfl. days of trent dilfer types winning super bowls are long gone.

harbough is not an offensive guy like you insinuated you need now. he coached special teams and the eagles secondary.

also--where did you get that list from? it is not accurate. point's allowed is what you want to look at anyway. you've mentioned this before in the other thread. here are the top 10 (with a link provided):
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/ ... on/defense
    1 San Francisco
    2 Seattle
    3 Chicago
    4 Denver
    5 Atlanta
    6 Houston
    7 Pittsburgh
    8 NY Giants
    9 Cleveland
    10 Baltimore

1 losing team. 7 playoff teams.
    --

now here is your top 10 offensive teams:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/ ... asontype/2

1 New England
    2 Denver
    3 New Orleans
    4 Washington
    5 Green Bay
    6 NY Giants
    7 Atlanta
    8 Houston
    9 Seattle
    10 Baltimore

1 losing team. 8 playoff teams.

so yeah...just like it's been forever, you need an offense and a defense to win.

and you had no reply for this, but it bears repeating: last year's super bowl winners let up 14 points per game in the playoffs and the super bowl. their defense, once they got healthy, carried them in january last year. just ask one of those guys in their thread.

what's funny is the team you seem to like most in the playoffs, san fran, has the top ranked defense and 11th ranked offense.
    And amazingly, the Giants didn't make the playoffs.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited January 2013
    posted the yardage rankings accidentally. yeah, they are useless.

the giants are just one example. teams like the saints, packers, and colts have won recent SBs without elite defenses. If you want to look at 2012, which makes sense since we are talking about how the league has evolved (or regressed if you like flag football, which I certainly don't) in regards to rule changes and style of play...you will notice that playoff games have averaged 52 points per game. 3 of the games in round 2 were close (sans pats/texans) and the WINNING teams in those games allowed 35, 31, and 28 points (the pats also allowed 28). That's not good defense, and the best teams in the NFL were playing this weekend. The league is all about offense

2012 has introduced a lot of favorable rule changes for the offenses. Even the giants example being thrown around is dated in regards to this debate.

yeah, harbaugh was a specials guy. he's not offense or defense. the ravens are a weird team...they were fortunate to run into nnamdi bailey and peyton mcnabb last weekend.
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    also, you mentioned the SF offense. you can throw the SF and SEA offensive numbers out the window. Kaepernick and Wilson have evolved over the second half of the season. Their respective season totals are irrelevant...just ask GB

I love that SF team. +190 to win it all is looking pretty damn good
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    The Fixer wrote:
    also, you mentioned the SF offense. you can throw the SF and SEA offensive numbers out the window. Kaepernick and Wilson have evolved over the second half of the season. Their respective season totals are irrelevant...just ask GB

well...
    in the 7 games that kaepernick started, the niners averaged 24 ppg.
    in the 9 games that smith started, the niners averaged 24 ppg.

their defense was phenomenal all year. if they weren't, you would have gotten much worse odds ;)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... o/2012.htm
    chinese-happy.jpg
    The Fixer wrote:

well...
    in the 7 games that kaepernick started, the niners averaged 24 ppg.
    in the 9 games that smith started, the niners averaged 24 ppg.

their defense was phenomenal all year. if they weren't, you would have gotten much worse odds ;)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... o/2012.htm

SF allowed 89 points in last 3 games of the year. and won 2 of those 3 games

harbaguh sandbagged a lot of stuff in the last two games of the year. they didn't use the pistol stuff at all, just went with the shotgun.

but whatever...point is that it's all about the offense in today's shitty nfl
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Trade Foles and a 6-7th rd pick to KC for there 1st pick in the 2nd rd. Then trade into the end of the 1st and grab Gino Smith? Use one of the 2nd rd picks a 4th and a late pick to get that done. Might need to find a monster NT somehow if the 3-4 guy is really coming from Georgia.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Trade Foles and a 6-7th rd pick to KC for there 1st pick in the 2nd rd. Then trade into the end of the 1st and grab Gino Smith? Use one of the 2nd rd picks a 4th and a late pick to get that done. Might need to find a monster NT somehow if the 3-4 guy is really coming from Georgia.

:lol:
    The Fixer wrote:

Explain? The compensation is fair and Smith is a late 1st rd pick. Reid likes Foles and we have no need for him with Kelly's style.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    posted the yardage rankings accidentally. yeah, they are useless.

the giants are just one example. teams like the saints, packers, and colts have won recent SBs without elite defenses. If you want to look at 2012, which makes sense since we are talking about how the league has evolved (or regressed if you like flag football, which I certainly don't) in regards to rule changes and style of play...you will notice that playoff games have averaged 52 points per game. 3 of the games in round 2 were close (sans pats/texans) and the WINNING teams in those games allowed 35, 31, and 28 points (the pats also allowed 28). That's not good defense, and the best teams in the NFL were playing this weekend. The league is all about offense

2012 has introduced a lot of favorable rule changes for the offenses. Even the giants example being thrown around is dated in regards to this debate.

yeah, harbaugh was a specials guy. he's not offense or defense. the ravens are a weird team...they were fortunate to run into nnamdi bailey and peyton mcnabb last weekend.

everyone realizes that the nfl is an offensive league more than ever now. i get that. obviously lurie and roseman get it. but you still can't win a super bowl with a bad defense.

the assumptions you are making about past super bowl teams just are not true. here is where the past super bowl champions have ranked in points allowed going to back the colts.

giants were 12th...but as i said only let up 14 ppg on the way to the super bowl. d carried them in january.
    packers --- #2 ranked defense (you are thinking of last year's team which was one and done...mainly because of their d )
    saints --this is the exception. 20th in reg season. gave up 21ppg in playoffs.
    steelers--- #1 ranked defense
    colts--- #1 ranked defense

and again this year--- 3 of the final 4 teams are top 10 defenses with 3 of the 4 coaches coming from the defensive side of the ball (the 4th is the one with the best d in the league)

we agree on alex smith though. i'd love to bring him here.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    you forgot to address the stats I posted regarding this year's playoffs. those top defenses you keep mentioning didn't look so good.

the colts had the #1 defense?? I find that hard to believe
    The Fixer wrote:

Explain? The compensation is fair and Smith is a late 1st rd pick. Reid likes Foles and we have no need for him with Kelly's style.

compensation is nowhere near fair dude.

reid isn't giving up the first pick in the second round for nick foles. that's funny

geno smith would be an awful fit for kelly's offense
    compensation is nowhere near fair dude.

reid isn't giving up the first pick in the second round for nick foles. that's funny

geno smith would be an awful fit for kelly's offense

Foles was a 3rd pick last year. Reid likes him as he started developing him this year. A 6th or 7th rd pick + Foles who showed promise and knows ur Offense is very fair. Not a Geno fan but he's got the skills for a Kelly style Qb.
    Go Birds!!!!

Foles was a 3rd pick last year. Reid likes him as he started developing him this year. A 6th or 7th rd pick + Foles who showed promise and knows ur Offense is very fair. Not a Geno fan but he's got the skills for a Kelly style Qb.

There is a better chance of the eagles winning the super bowl that's played in two weeks than there is of reid trading the 33rd overall pick for nick foles. Reid might like him, but he doesn't overpay via trades. Were you asleep for the last 14 years?

What makes you think geno smith fits into kelly's offense? I think he's a horrible fit. I'd much rather have tyler wilson or ryan nassib...aka, someone who can actually move
    edited January 2013
    The Fixer wrote:
    you forgot to address the stats I posted regarding this year's playoffs. those top defenses you keep mentioning didn't look so good.

the colts had the #1 defense?? I find that hard to believe
    believe it:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/ ... asontype/2

there were obviously a ton of points put up this past weekend. the weekend before each game averaged 34 points. if there was an emoticon for a guy shrugging his shoulders, i would place it here.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    guys...let's have the introductory press conference first before we start proposing and ripping draft day trades :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    guys...let's have the introductory press conference first before we start proposing and ripping draft day trades :lol:
    I remember a certain person making a mcnabb to Wash trade scenario before ;)
    Go Birds!!!!

and i scoffed at it. :lol:

we don't even know what the make up of this team will be though.
    chinese-happy.jpg

Yeah I think you told me I was crazy. And then Bam!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    Go Birds!!!!

Yeah I think you told me I was crazy. And then Bam!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

yeah yeah yeah....

i believe the 2 guys we got were nate allen and then casey mathews the next year...casey and chip--reunited and it feels so good.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    chip-chip-chipadelphia

saw that on FB. pretty funny

as for the offseason, yeah we have a long way to go. it's tough not to make fun of ridiculous trade proposals though.

I've made my opinion clear. Now it's time to shut up and see what happens. Gotta give the new regime a chance. Hopefully I'm wrong
    he obviously was not my top choice (or anywhere near the top) but i gotta say, that was a nice first impression. a breath of fresh air. seems personable and very bright.

now let's get to work.

GO BIRDS.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    The Fixer wrote:
    chip-chip-chipadelphia

saw that on FB. pretty funny

as for the offseason, yeah we have a long way to go. it's tough not to make fun of ridiculous trade proposals though.

I've made my opinion clear. Now it's time to shut up and see what happens. Gotta give the new regime a chance. Hopefully I'm wrong

I hope you've never been more wrong. :lol::lol:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    he obviously was not my top choice (or anywhere near the top) but i gotta say, that was a nice first impression. a breath of fresh air. seems personable and very bright.

now let's get to work.

GO BIRDS.
    Agree. He came across better then I imagined. I like him more today then I did yesterday.
    Go Birds!!!!
    I like the fact that he's got a chip on his shoulder (see what i did there?). I swear philly is the only city who cares about press conferences :roll: .

greg roman not going to jax. that's the dude I wanted and he's still out there.

also saw carmichael turned down an offer to be the OC. he would have been a nice addition.

will be an interesting offseason to say the least.
    New Eagles coach Chip Kelly said at his introductory press conference that he believes ex-Oregon QB Darron Thomas is an NFL-caliber quarterback.
    Thomas was Kelly's starting quarterback in 2010 and 2011. Slightly built with mediocre arm strength, Thomas' decision to declare for the 2012 draft early was widely panned and he went undrafted, landing in the CFL with the Calgary Stampeders. "Yeah, I think he can play in this league," Kelly said of Thomas. Thomas could get a camp invite to try to make the Eagles this summe
    Go Birds!!!!

now let's get to work.

GO BIRDS.
    Agree. He came across better then I imagined. I like him more today then I did yesterday.

yeah me too.
    chinese-happy.jpg

now let's get to work.

GO BIRDS.

yeah me too.

because of press conferences

this is one reason why I don't like eagles fans
    New Eagles coach Chip Kelly said at his introductory press conference that he believes ex-Oregon QB Darron Thomas is an NFL-caliber quarterback.
    Thomas was Kelly's starting quarterback in 2010 and 2011. Slightly built with mediocre arm strength, Thomas' decision to declare for the 2012 draft early was widely panned and he went undrafted, landing in the CFL with the Calgary Stampeders. "Yeah, I think he can play in this league," Kelly said of Thomas. Thomas could get a camp invite to try to make the Eagles this summe

and this is why I don't like chip kelly

anyone here watch cfb?
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I'll admit that I was listening to WIP this morning because Kelly was coming on. Keith Jones made a good point about Reid's personality. He said that Reid was short with people in his pc's because he couldn't think on his feet with quick answers and that also translated to his coaching with making adjustments and timely decisions.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I'll admit that I was listening to WIP this morning because Kelly was coming on. Keith Jones made a good point about Reid's personality. He said that Reid was short with people in his pc's because he couldn't think on his feet with quick answers and that also translated to his coaching with making adjustments and timely decisions.

yup cause what we want is a coach who can talk in a press conference. that's really important to winning football games. :fp:

I'll give Kelly a chance, but don't have a good feeling about the guy. gotta scare you to hear him say his ex-qb who didn't get drafted can play in the NFL. makes you wonder if he really knows what plays in the NFL. gonna be an interesting off-season.

and the only thing keith Jones knows about sports is that peter forsberg and eric lindros carried his fat ass. :D