Freedom isn't Free

aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
edited January 2013 in A Moving Train
I believe there are still patriots like this in our country but you won't find them in Washington D.C. Our government is becoming the greatest enemy to our freedoms.

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War. They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor. What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags. Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward. Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton. At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr. noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt. Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months. John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later, he died from exhaustion and a broken heart. Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates. Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution.

These were not wild-eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more. God bless America the one country unique in all the world and something worth standing up for!
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    no kidding it's not free...have you seen my tax bill :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • What are you doing posting something positive about the uniqueness of USA! You will be "beheaded" here if you continue to do that! LOL

It is an amazing story....and most people overlook the good, the bravery and the true investment of knowledge, wisdom, lives, etc.

God bless the USA!
    Theres no time like the present

A man that stands for nothing....will fall for anything!

All people need to do more on every level!
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    For the umpteenth time, does nobody ever check Snopes for this stuff?

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/pricepaid.asp

Some of the op is accurate and some of it's not.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • For the umpteenth time, does nobody ever check Snopes for this stuff?

YES because SNOPES is the center of the universe and the law of the land! Better go there now.....thanks
    Theres no time like the present

A man that stands for nothing....will fall for anything!

All people need to do more on every level!
  • aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    What are you doing posting something positive about the uniqueness of USA! You will be "beheaded" here if you continue to do that! LOL

It is an amazing story....and most people overlook the good, the bravery and the true investment of knowledge, wisdom, lives, etc.

God bless the USA! Are there still REAL heroes..........
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • For the umpteenth time, does nobody ever check Snopes for this stuff?

most of this rah rah bullshit is just that.......non-researched BS.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014

Snopes seems to put there own spin on thins......
    Here is a fact......These Statesmen did not sit in Washington spending tax payers money, they worked, they went to war, they sacrificed. They were not set up for life on the tax payers dollar......if we compare them to today's policy makers they are Heroes.
  • aerial wrote:

Here is a fact......These Statesmen did not sit in Washington spending tax payers money, they worked, they went to war, they sacrificed. They were not set up for life on the tax payers dollar......if we compare them to today's policy makers they are Heroes.

judge them on their own merits, not on the merits of others.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    aerial wrote:

Here is another fact...

Washington did not exist when the Declaration was signed.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    aerial wrote:

And the point Snopes makes is that their actions in signing the Declaration of Independence and going to war with Britain make them compelling enough. Their stories don't need to be embellished with events that are exaggerated or didn't happen.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • MoonpigMoonpig Posts: 659
    aerial wrote:
    I believe there are still patriots like this in our country but you won't find them in Washington D.C. Our government is becoming the greatest enemy to our freedoms.

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War. They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor. What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags. Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward. Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton. At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr. noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt. Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months. John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later, he died from exhaustion and a broken heart. Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates. Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution.

These were not wild-eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more. God bless America the one country unique in all the world and something worth standing up for!

Many nations were founded on stories like this, what makes the USA unique?
  • MoonpigMoonpig Posts: 659
    aerial wrote:

So hold on a sec, your gripe now is that your politicians aren't on the front line? Do I really need to explain to you the different conditions with which you are trying to compare?

:lol:

If Obama suited up for war and headed off, you'd accuse him of dereliction of duty. Some of you really should just admit your hate for this guy and be done with it, you're really fooling no one. Or wise up and join the free thinking world, the one that prides itself on facts and critical thinking, and bases little emphasis on coming to conclusions on hunches or other such limiting factors
  • USARAYUSARAY Posts: 517
    yeah i like the thread title its true why some will fight
    the spirit here thats what is unique our ancestors our blood do we think our great great greats
    were ever forgiven for bailing on the old country
    we are the newbie and we fuckin rule the world must be a real bite in the arse sure seems so
    sorry motherships are you sinking first :lol: maybe the young whippersnapper can bail you out
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    USARAY wrote:
    yeah i like the thread title its true why some will fight
    the spirit here thats what is unique our ancestors our blood do we think our great great greats
    were ever forgiven for bailing on the old country
    we are the newbie and we fuckin rule the world must be a real bite in the arse sure seems so
    sorry motherships are you sinking first :lol: maybe the young whippersnapper can bail you out

sorry I read this many times and I am not understanding anything you wrote. are you saying that the USA is unique because of your spirit? I don't understand.
  • Moonpig wrote:
    If Obama suited up for war and headed off, you'd accuse him of dereliction of duty.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'd personally have more respect for him. My own opinion is if you are going to serve as the top honcho of our military, you should serve in it first..
    Moonpig wrote:
    If Obama suited up for war and headed off, you'd accuse him of dereliction of duty.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'd personally have more respect for him. My own opinion is if you are going to serve as the top honcho of our military, you should serve in it first..

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • the president in the army. that's hilarious. do you see many presidents of ditch digging companies actually starting out digging the ditch? come on, people, get real. unless they started the business, of course. But Obama isn't the first president.

name any modern president that has ever been in the armed forces.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    the president in the army. that's hilarious. do you see many presidents of ditch digging companies actually starting out digging the ditch? come on, people, get real. unless they started the business, of course. But Obama isn't the first president.

President Lonestar did shoot down space aliens in the movie Independence Day. :lol:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    just fyi: whenever someone says "freedom isnt free", i ask them directly "how much did you pay for it?"
  • USARAYUSARAY Posts: 517
    aerial wrote:
    Moonpig wrote:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    :thumbup: yep i would respect a leader more too
  • name any modern president that has ever been in the armed forces.

Harry Truman: World War I (Army)
    Dwight D. Eisenhower: World War I and World War II (Army)
    John F. Kennedy: World War II (Navy)
    Lyndon B. Johnson: World War II (Navy)
    Richard Nixon: World War II (Navy)
    Gerald Ford: World War II (Navy)
    Jimmy Carter: Cold War era (Navy)
    Ronald Reagan: World War II (Air Force)
    George H.W. Bush: World War II (Navy)
    George W. Bush

Most had served..actually..but these are the most recent. Out of the past 12 Presidents, Obama and Clinton are the only 2 who did not serve in the military.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    World War II was a long time ago. Any president today that did not serve in the military in any war since then at least knew enough to avoid wars that we unjustifiable. Oh, and there are also other things to do that are quite honorable besides serving in the military. For example, people teach instead (I did that) or work in hospitals or volunteer or work to understand environmental issues or help the aged or the weak or the underprivileged- the list goes on and on.

Free your minds.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux wrote:
    World War II was a long time ago. Any president today that did not serve in the military in any war since then at least knew enough to avoid wars that we unjustifiable. Oh, and there are also other things to do that are quite honorable besides serving in the military. For example, people teach instead (I did that) or work in hospitals or volunteer or work to understand environmental issues or help the aged or the weak or the underprivileged- the list goes on and on.

Free your minds.

WWII was not that long ago and the Cold war was just 20 years ago. Those serving in Korea and Vietnam were drafted, they didn't (for the most part) sign up for it freely, they were forced to go. Hippies don't like to acknowledge that. It would make them look bad for literally spitting on them when those guys came back. They're all about love and peace, unless you do or say something they disagree with, then they become vile and hateful and spiteful. Regardless, it doesn't change that only 2 out of the last 12 Presidents did not serve in the military.

How does being a teacher, or working in a hospital, teach you how the military works? When running for President, you aren't applying to become dean of a university or CEO of a hospital. You are applying to be the leader of the military. The General's General.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux wrote:

Free your minds.

WWII was not that long ago and the Cold war was just 20 years ago. Those serving in Korea and Vietnam were drafted, they didn't (for the most part) sign up for it freely, they were forced to go. Hippies don't like to acknowledge that. It would make them look bad for literally spitting on them when those guys came back. They're all about love and peace, unless you do or say something they disagree with, then they become vile and hateful and spiteful. Regardless, it doesn't change that only 2 out of the last 12 Presidents did not serve in the military.

How does being a teacher, or working in a hospital, teach you how the military works? When running for President, you aren't applying to become dean of a university or CEO of a hospital. You are applying to be the leader of the military. The General's General.

See what I mean? More vitriol.

Are you old enough to know what people like me who did not serve in Vietnam are like? Do you really thing all of us "hippies" spit on the vets? Do you not know that many of us supported them and still do to this day? Or do you just like spitting venom at old farts like me?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

When running for President, you aren't applying to become dean of a university or CEO of a hospital. You are applying to be the leader of the military. The General's General.
    you know...be a president doesnt mean to do wars ONLY....
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • brianlux wrote:
    See what I mean? More vitriol.

Are you old enough to know what people like me who did not serve in Vietnam are like? Do you really thing all of us "hippies" spit on the vets? Do you not know that many of us supported them and still do to this day? Or do you just like spitting venom at old farts like me?

You said "Any president today that did not serve in the military in any war since then at least knew enough to avoid wars that we unjustifiable."

That is not a supportive statement. That is like saying my daddy wasn't smart cos he didn't manage to avoid serving in Korea when his number came up. He was one that got spit on. All I had to go on was what you, yourself, said. And I never said all hippies.

Regardless, it doesn't change the original point. The other poster said to name one recent president who served. So I named 10.
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892

Harry Truman: World War I (Army)
    Dwight D. Eisenhower: World War I and World War II (Army)
    John F. Kennedy: World War II (Navy)
    Lyndon B. Johnson: World War II (Navy)
    Richard Nixon: World War II (Navy)
    Gerald Ford: World War II (Navy)
    Jimmy Carter: Cold War era (Navy)
    Ronald Reagan: World War II (Air Force)
    George H.W. Bush: World War II (Navy)
    George W. Bush

Most had served..actually..but these are the most recent. Out of the past 12 Presidents, Obama and Clinton are the only 2 who did not serve in the military.

And how many of these presidents served in a combat position? Sitting stateside in a reporters position (Reagan) or flight training school (Bush II) is not the same.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • When running for President, you aren't applying to become dean of a university or CEO of a hospital. You are applying to be the leader of the military. The General's General.

It's in the Constitution. He/She is in charge of commanding our military and using that military to protect our right to exist as a nation. Everything else a President does today got added on over the years. And waging war is supposed to be a last resort of a military. Peacekeeping is supposed to be their main focus.

riotgrl- 8 out of 10. So..most of them. But that is irrelevant. You can serve during a time of peace, just the act of serving is enough. You learn how the military works then. Something I can personally say you just can't learn right unless you join.
    When running for President, you aren't applying to become dean of a university or CEO of a hospital. You are applying to be the leader of the military. The General's General.

It's in the Constitution. He/She is in charge of commanding our military and using that military to protect our right to exist as a nation. Everything else a President does today got added on over the years. And waging war is supposed to be a last resort of a military. Peacekeeping is supposed to be their main focus.

r.
    he is in charge of everything..healthcare as well...he dont have to know how to do the operations at hospital...
    he is leader at education,he dont have to know to teach at elemetary school..
    leader at justice,jhe dont have to be a judge at courts.....

president has to be a leader to everything ....serve or not serve the country doesnt make him less leader or less patriot...

same as generals.do u think generals know how to fire a missle from a sub marine?
    they dont,even they are 30 years at the force..
    they are there to make the calls..
    so they are next to president,tell him the facts,whats the options,and he to make the calls..