football championship > rape victim

ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
edited April 2013 in A Moving Train
makes me fucking sick that sport, football or whatever comes before and is deemed more important than a clear victim of a sexual assault. The players even admitted it on social networks but the towns people don't want to know about it as it may interfere with their chances of winning. Isn't that just a fucking joke.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/03/h ... rape-case/

KnightSec, a hacking group affiliated with the “Anonymous” collective, has released a video of teenager Michael Nodianos glorying in the gang rape of a 16-year-old girl by his high school football player teammates. According to the Atlantic Wire, hackers are intervening, putting now-scrubbed evidence back online because other teenagers and citizens of football-crazed Steubenville, Ohio are proving to be reluctant to help authorities prosecute a rape case against the town’s teenage football stars.

“She is so raped right now,” said Nodianos to the camera. “There won’t be any foreplay for a dead girl. It ain’t wet now, to be honest. Trust me, I’m a doctor.”

He was referring to an incident in late August, when two players on Steubenville High School’s prestigious football team, The Big Red, reportedly drugged a 16-year-old girl and sexually assaulted her, carrying her unconscious body by the wrists and ankles from party to party, urinating on her and abandoning her at the end of the night at her parents’ house. The players, Trent Mays and Ma’lik Richmond, are currently on house arrest in Steubenville after being remanded from the county juvenile detention center.

The boys glorified their crime online, shooting Instagram photos of the assault, making lewd updates on Facebook and Twitter, and allowing their friends, like Nodianos, to shoot photos and make their own updates and videos about the incident. In spite of the abduction and attack’s high profile in social media, townspeople have been reluctant to aid the prosecution of the crime in any way, lest it jeopardize The Big Red’s chances at another state championship.

Nate Hubbard, 27, a volunteer Big Red coach, went so far as to accuse the victim of making the whole thing up to excuse a night of excessive partying, “The rape was just an excuse, I think,” he told the New York Times.

“What else are you going to tell your parents when you come home drunk like that and after a night like that?” Hubbard asked. “She had to make up something. Now people are trying to blow up our football program because of it.”

A juvenile judge and a Steubenville county prosecutor have both had to recuse themselves from the case because of ties to the football team. Steubenville is a small town, the judge told the Times, “Everybody knows everybody.”

With the investigation stymied, KnightSec created a WikiLeaks-style site called “Local Leaks,” where it put on display a dossier about the so-called Steubenville “Rape Crew,” including new information about team boosters and Big Red head coach Reno Saccoccia, as well as the video of Nodiano riffing on his friends’ crime.

Wearing an Ohio Buckeyes T-shirt, Nodianos said the victim was “deader than a doornail.”

“They pissed on her,” he said, before launching into a list of famous people the teenage victim was “deader than,” including “Caylee Anthony” and “OJ Simpson’s wife,” as well as “John F. Kennedy” and slain Florida teenager Trayvon Martin.

The dossier published by KnightSec also revealed the intricate web of association between top Big Red players and staff and Steubenville’s top brass. Coach Saccoccia regularly breakfasts with the county sheriff. One of the boys accused of suppressing the crime is the son of a county prosecutor.

Meanwhile, it will be difficult for the defense team to allege that no crime took place with Nodianos insisting in his video, “They raped her more than the Duke lacrosse team” and slapping his thigh and laughing when a teammate asks, “Is she going to feel it?” and responding, “No, she’s dead!”

Raw Story (http://s.tt/1xUWa)
I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I would like 10 minutes alone in a room with this piece of garbage that made this video -- I only got about 30 seconds into watching it before I shut it down and felt the massive anger boiling up.
    Hopefully everything comes out and these kids get what they deserve after the facts are presented....but just the words and the laughter coming out of this little punk's mouth makes me believe that he values the life of this poor girl so little that I would like to beat the shit out of him. There is youthful stupidity, shenanigans and all of that....and then there is just evil. The kid that made this tape is evil. If the other kids did what it appears they may have done then they will be evil as well. Awful story.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I would like 10 minutes alone in a room with this piece of garbage that made this video -- I only got about 30 seconds into watching it before I shut it down and felt the massive anger boiling up.
    Hopefully everything comes out and these kids get what they deserve after the facts are presented....but just the words and the laughter coming out of this little punk's mouth makes me believe that he values the life of this poor girl so little that I would like to beat the shit out of him. There is youthful stupidity, shenanigans and all of that....and then there is just evil. The kid that made this tape is evil. If the other kids did what it appears they may have done then they will be evil as well. Awful story.

I don't even want to watch it... I love my sport but it seems like their is a very much still a culture of some sportsmen who treat women like shit and think it's ok.

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • I would like 10 minutes alone in a room with this piece of garbage that made this video -- I only got about 30 seconds into watching it before I shut it down and felt the massive anger boiling up.

They'll go to court... shed their big crocodile tears... speak the words their lawyers and parents told them to speak... gain the support of a significant portion of mutant people... and more than likely get a slap on the wrist for 'mispent youth'.

All the while knowing full well their evil intentions this night. I'd like some time with the punk too. If it was my daughter... oh boy.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Zoso wrote:

I don't even want to watch it... I love my sport but it seems like their is a very much still a culture of some sportsmen who treat women like shit and think it's ok.

Yeah, that is why I turned it off. The kid is obviously buzzed and there is a roomful of people laughing while he says some of the things the article quotes him as saying. It appears obvious that there is a massive issue with us socially that keeps getting worse. No idea how we fix it but people have been doing terrible things for years....it seems now that people find this acceptable. If sports played the role in the peers accepting this behavior than I see another layer to the issue but I cannot get my head around a kid laughing and joking about something like this. I was a fuck up as a teenager but never would have joked about this or stood by and did nothing if I knew it was happening - and I strongly believe that none of my classmates would have either. If anything the group would have emboldened us to do what was right - where here, it seems to do the opposite and make these kids more accepting.
    It is a wonder we dont just lock our fucking doors and live inside. If I had a daughter this would freak the shit out of me.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    I saw the title of the thread and was sure it was going to be about Notre Dame.
  • where i am from - and back 15 years or so ago when i went to high school - all these kids would have had an old fashioned ass beating coming there way - and there would be no videos. The only proof would be on their shamed and beaten faces.
    raped and pissed on her - are you fucking kidding me. And that little pussy thought it was funny - something to joke about?
    I am not filled with the youthful rage i once had but this brings me back a little.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Just unbelievable. Again, blaming the victim as I mentioned in the other, now locked, thread about rape. Craziness. What kind of people can even do that?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    There are fundamental things just wrong within our society. I keep seeing the same underlying issue in so many events we are discussing here on AMT. When we will start to examine the underlying problems? We seem to continue to accept the little things as no big deal then when we see violence and sadistic tendencies perpetrated over and over, we lament the idea that something has gone wrong in our society. So much of these problems stem from a me first attitude that starts to change into a me only attitude and many of us are standing here asking how in the hell we allowed things like this to happen.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
    riotgrl wrote:
    There are fundamental things just wrong within our society. I keep seeing the same underlying issue in so many events we are discussing here on AMT. When we will start to examine the underlying problems? We seem to continue to accept the little things as no big deal then when we see violence and sadistic tendencies perpetrated over and over, we lament the idea that something has gone wrong in our society. So much of these problems stem from a me first attitude that starts to change into a me only attitude and many of us are standing here asking how in the hell we allowed things like this to happen.

Agree, but I also think that 'everyone deserves a trophy' has made every person feel like they can be a star and they should be the center of things...and that has fed into the Me First mentality. There is next to zero accountability these days...it is always someone else's fault. I have no answers, unfortunately, just observations. If you suck at singing, you suck at singing and should not be encouraged. There shouldnt be a rule that makes every kid have to play in sports. If you are bad at it, spend some time and learn what you are good at. We are raising an entitled band of assholes to populate our country. (More entitled? lol)
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    Their parents should be convicted and go to jail if true.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    riotgrl wrote:

Agree, but I also think that 'everyone deserves a trophy' has made every person feel like they can be a star and they should be the center of things...and that has fed into the Me First mentality. There is next to zero accountability these days...it is always someone else's fault. I have no answers, unfortunately, just observations. If you suck at singing, you suck at singing and should not be encouraged. There shouldnt be a rule that makes every kid have to play in sports. If you are bad at it, spend some time and learn what you are good at. We are raising an entitled band of assholes to populate our country. (More entitled? lol)

Very true. I have begun to think that it is time for our society to swing in another direction. For so long, we have lived and breathed the ideal of individualism, but at what cost? We seem to be spiraling down into a well of individualism, at any cost. Seems like so many threads right now are about my rights, my needs, my wants etc rather than a focus on the common good. Perhaps if we, together, could begin to take responsibility for ourselves but also have care and compassion and put others first, or at least after ourselves and family or even just have some awareness that our actions and beliefs affect others, then maybe acts of violence, like this rape, would occur less and less frequently.

I AM MINE
  • sick pigs.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    riotgrl wrote:
    Very true. I have begun to think that it is time for our society to swing in another direction. For so long, we have lived and breathed the ideal of individualism, but at what cost? We seem to be spiraling down into a well of individualism, at any cost. Seems like so many threads right now are about my rights, my needs, my wants etc rather than a focus on the common good. Perhaps if we, together, could begin to take responsibility for ourselves but also have care and compassion and put others first, or at least after ourselves and family or even just have some awareness that our actions and beliefs affect others, then maybe acts of violence, like this rape, would occur less and less frequently.

Well said. I agree.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Not attempting to derail the topic, but this -

“She is so raped right now,” said Nodianos to the camera. “There won’t be any foreplay for a dead girl. It ain’t wet now, to be honest. Trust me, I’m a doctor.”

Makes me sick.

I realize that there are reasons (not excuses) for such distance from basic humaneness...but does a piece of shit like this, like those boys, deserve empathy, understanding? I'm simply unable to give it.

(and, I think there's a difference between individualism and narcissism. Most of us are about "me" - it's how we survive and are able to pass it on and nurture - but not at the expense of others, and not at the expense of our character. These fuckers? SO not individualists.)
    hedonist wrote:
    Not attempting to derail the topic, but this -

Makes me sick.

I realize that there are reasons (not excuses) for such distance from basic humaneness...but does a piece of shit like this, like those boys, deserve empathy, understanding? I'm simply unable to give it.

(and, I think there's a difference between individualism and narcissism. Most of us are about "me" - it's how we survive and are able to pass it on and nurture - but not at the expense of others, and not at the expense of our character. These fuckers? SO not individualists.)

I understand what your saying about individualism. But yet, I have begun to wonder if our over reliance on individualism has become derailed over the course of American history, in particular. Has our initially positive focus on the individual now created a nation of narcissists? American focus on the individual has created an environment that is not healthy for anyone because we sacrifice our relationships and our community and our NEED for each other for the self. I ran across a book I want to read by sociologist Robert Bellah called "The Good Society" which delves into this very phenomenon. I did find an article he wrote that hints at the larger points explored in this book which some might find an interesting (if long!) read.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CEgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.robertbellah.com%2FUnderstanding_Care_in_Contemporary_America.pdf&ei=I7PlUK6eNs-B0QGo9oC4CQ&usg=AFQjCNEBHhqpcYNnPhFrQeiyNm_FixuZpg&sig2=LjSJ77Y2pmpvbeEfyW6EZQ&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.dmQ

I AM MINE
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,061
    Zoso wrote:
    Nate Hubbard, 27, a volunteer Big Red coach, went so far as to accuse the victim of making the whole thing up to excuse a night of excessive partying, “The rape was just an excuse, I think,” he told the New York Times.

“What else are you going to tell your parents when you come home drunk like that and after a night like that?” Hubbard asked. “She had to make up something. Now people are trying to blow up our football program because of it.”

Wearing an Ohio Buckeyes T-shirt, Nodianos said the victim was “deader than a doornail.”

“They pissed on her,” he said, before launching into a list of famous people the teenage victim was “deader than,” including “Caylee Anthony” and “OJ Simpson’s wife,” as well as “John F. Kennedy” and slain Florida teenager Trayvon Martin.

It'd be very interesting to see what guys like Hubbard, the volunteer coach above, would say if the girl actually was "deader than a doornail." If this girl had been raped and killed, and this kid was on camera saying "she's deader than a doornail" and "she is so raped right now," it'd be a pretty open and closed case against the kid for at the very least, being an accessory to rape (and whatever other crimes happened). And if she was killed in the process, my guess is cooperation would likely be forthcoming.

Because she didn't die, people turn this into the rape blame game and try to look beyond the facts and evidence we have, all of which points to these guys being disgusting human beings and criminals.

The politics of rape. What a world.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Operation "Roll Red Roll" continues as the Steubenville football website has been hacked once again.

Knight Sec also claims the group Anonymous has hacked into webmaster Jim Park's email. The group says they have found possible child pornography in his account.

They also claim Parks has possibly been hiring the football team to go to different parties and send him pictures of girls they take advantage of. WTRF has not confirmed any of this with authorities. Again, this is what Knight Sec claims to have found in Parks email account.

Parks has responded to those claims in the Herald Star calling them "ridiculous" and saying "I don't even know any of the (Big Red) football players. I know the superintendent (Mike McVey) and a few coaches, but that's it."
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    This makes me sick towns like these are pure evil where football is endall be all , i hate fucking sport parents coaches players fuck you .....They should all be in Jail i'm telling you if this was my daughter i would burn that fucking high school down to the ground .......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Why is the national worship of athletics never brought up? It is the ultimate elephant in the room. This isn't about individualism or narcissism, it's about sports worship, and how society treats athletes and sports (especially school sports) differently than everything else.

If nothing societal changed with the Penn State scandal (and nothing did), these acts of crime will continue, sadly.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    riotgrl wrote:

So true riotgrl. And it can apply to any situation, whether discussed on here or just simply in the negative mainstream media. When "me" is put before "we", nothing good collectively will ever come from it. I just think that this particular story is about the problem of sports worship, as well about "getting away with murder".
  • NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Steubenville is just across the Ohio River from here. Their football team is THE most important thing to many people there. Many are also Steelers fans. I wonder how many of these assholes idolized him despite the sexual assault allegations.
    having a good football season is more important then the safety of women, sexual assault victims etc? It's a really fucked up society and town that thinks like that.

• peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I'm watching the video right now... Sick ass fuckers... fucking hope they get to sit in a fucking cell the rest of their lives and rot away... all of these kids are fucking pricks.
    I'm watching the video right now... Sick ass fuckers... fucking hope whoever is officially at fault gets to sit in a fucking cell the rest of his life and rot away... all of these kids are fucking pricks.

they won't and sadly because they HAVE to win games for the high school next season.

One problem is that the two boys who have actually been charged were done as juveniles not adults. These pussies need to go to real prison where others might give them the karma they deserve instead of spending a little time in kiddie jail and a slap on the wrist.

The asswipe in the video has not been charged with anything. He's a former Big Red player who is now a student at Ohio State University.
    NeilJam wrote:
    One problem is that the two boys who have actually been charged were done as juveniles not adults. These pussies need to go to real prison where others might give them the karma they deserve instead of spending a little time in kiddie jail and a slap on the wrist.

The asswipe in the video has not been charged with anything. He's a former Big Red player who is now a student at Ohio State University.

How old are the boys?
    How old are the boys?

I don't know, but one is a sophomore. They were initially charged as adults but kidnapping charges against both were dropped so then this was moved to the juvenile system. The county prosecutor's son was also allegedly involved, but has not been charged with anything.
    NeilJam wrote:
    How old are the boys?

I don't know, but one is a sophomore. They were initially charged as adults but kidnapping charges against both were dropped so then this was moved to the juvenile system. The county prosecutor's son was also allegedly involved, but has not been charged with anything.

Ahhh har har har

The prosecutor either blew it, or he did that on purpose.

I don't know enough to comment further on that.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Aside from the pathological narcissism and complete void of empathy on the part of the assailants, wtf is wrong with all of the people who witnessed this and did nothing to intervene? About 7 minutes in you hear 2 guys in the background begin saying that it's rape and it's wrong and asking what if it happened to your daughter or sister, but no one did anything to stop the assault. And this dickhead on the video isn't going to be held accountable for anything. A similar thing happened after the Richmond, CA rape when 20 bystanders stood around and watched and texted pictures of a savage gang rape, but none of them were charged because there were no bystander laws on the books. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Richm ... _gang_rape

It astounds me that cases like this with multiple witnesses are so hard to prosecute. The Deanza gang rape case went without any criminal charges because the victim was too drunk to be a good witness, despite the fact that there were 3 witnesses that pulled her out of the party and took her to the hospital.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=7770835
    http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=7770899
    http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=7770924

There needs to be an entire culture shift. As long as people pretend like this only happens because the victims drank too much, etc, this will continue to happen. Getting drunk doesn't cause someone to get gang raped. People feeling entitled to do what they want to someone else's body and having others who stand by and support that belief causes it to happen.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    It looks like OSU fans and alumni are already calling for them to revoke his scholarship and expel him.

http://bustedbitchesandinternetstalkers ... evocation/