Options

Albums or artists you wish you'd bought/heard sooner....

veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
edited December 2012 in Other Music
The list is probably endless for me. Right now I'm really loving Bruce Springsteen's, The Seeger Sessions album. I kind of dismissed this as a bit of a novelty when it came out but it's pure class and he sounds great on it. Kicking myself a bit but at the same time gleefully lapping it up..... :)
Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pj8pj8 Posts: 408
    STP side project Talk Show. Were only together for one year, would have loved to have seen them live. Also Alice in Chains.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I wish I heard Bruce Springsteen sooner than 2009. I've become a huge fan since 2011. Seeing him live was one of the greatest days/nights/moments of my life. Will never forget that show in Hartford in October. I need to see another Bruce show ASAP.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    mskillmskill Posts: 16
    In my high school years the emo bands were the big thing around 2006 and I hated that stuff. So, I dismissed Silversun Pickups as just another terrible band from the emo phase. That was until I saw them in 2009 and actually sat back to listen to their albums, phenomenal.

Some others:
    Sleater Kinney, I wasn't aware of music until 1998 or 99 since I was only 7 or 8 and
    lame boy bands are the only thing so, it took a while to run into this one. Also great.

The Doors, I dismissed them based on one song which was Touch Me. It's my least favorite song by them
    so, eventually I gave in and it's still a song I don't like, but I love almost everything else.
  • Options
    I wish I never heard RUSH in my life. Not once, not ever.

To stay on topic I'm going with Howlin' Wolf..... Kick ass old blues
  • Options
    mskill wrote:
    In my high school years the emo bands were the big thing around 2006 and I hated that stuff. So, I dismissed Silversun Pickups as just another terrible band from the emo phase.

Exactly what I thought to this day. So they're not then? What would be a good album to reccommend?

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Bruce Springsteen
    Glen Hansard
    Mad Season

And of course PJ :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,235
    Newch91 wrote:
    I wish I heard Bruce Springsteen sooner than 2009. I've become a huge fan since 2011. Seeing him live was one of the greatest days/nights/moments of my life. Will never forget that show in Hartford in October. I need to see another Bruce show ASAP.

They'll be back round in 2013. They do like playing in America too, though you'd not believe it to read some of the Springsteen forums.

Artists I wish I'd discovered sooner, Mark Lanegan for sure. I only stumbled upon him after the collaboration with Isobel Campbell came out. Now hooked.
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    ilockyer wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

They'll be back round in 2013. They do like playing in America too, though you'd not believe it to read some of the Springsteen forums.

Artists I wish I'd discovered sooner, Mark Lanegan for sure. I only stumbled upon him after the collaboration with Isobel Campbell came out. Now hooked.

It'll actually be the first time for me and Lorna seeing Bruce in June so pretty excited already. He's another I can add really as although I liked some of his work he didn't really grab my attention until maybe 10 years back when I borrowed Nebraska and I heard a side of him I wasn't aware of. I'm still slowly learning his albums inside out but he has so many eras!

• Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Alabama Shakes (1 yr late to this incredible party!)
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24
  • Options
    MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    Portugal The Man - In The Mountain In The Cloud
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,448
    I'm pretty cutting edge, so I don't miss much ;):lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    Newch91 wrote:

A buddy of mine and I were roadtripping some East Coast PJ shows in 2006 (26 years old then) and he brought along a Springsteen album to listen to. Since then Springsteen has pretty much been my favorite musician/band. Now I've got 27 albums of his on my computer with 24 hours of music. Tiny compare to his whole catalog and bootlegs, but I am glad I didn't get into his music sooner. Sure, would have been nice to see some shows over the years, but it is neat to "stumble" upon hours upon hours of music that is just ready to be listened to. I haven't bastardized being a fan of his by focusing too much on collecting posters, vinyl and t-shirts either. Learned my lesson there with PJ. Sticking with the music only for Springsteen.

I am close to taking a deep dive with Beatles music, but until now I've never paid much attention.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    veddertown wrote:
    mskill wrote:
    In my high school years the emo bands were the big thing around 2006 and I hated that stuff. So, I dismissed Silversun Pickups as just another terrible band from the emo phase.

Exactly what I thought to this day. So they're not then? What would be a good album to reccommend?

Swoon is my favorite of theirs.
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    I found out who Mark Lanegan is only after QOTSA Songs For The Deaf came out.

Found Mad Season shortly after Mark Lanegan
  • Options
    ilockyer wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I haven't looked at the Backstreets forum since he announced dates for Australia and Europe. I'm sure people are pissed. The more hardcore Bruce fans than me are more crazier than PJ fans when it comes to touring. :lol: I'm sure Bruce will tour the US next year.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

A buddy of mine and I were roadtripping some East Coast PJ shows in 2006 (26 years old then) and he brought along a Springsteen album to listen to. Since then Springsteen has pretty much been my favorite musician/band. Now I've got 27 albums of his on my computer with 24 hours of music. Tiny compare to his whole catalog and bootlegs, but I am glad I didn't get into his music sooner. Sure, would have been nice to see some shows over the years, but it is neat to "stumble" upon hours upon hours of music that is just ready to be listened to. I haven't bastardized being a fan of his by focusing too much on collecting posters, vinyl and t-shirts either. Learned my lesson there with PJ. Sticking with the music only for Springsteen.

I am close to taking a deep dive with Beatles music, but until now I've never paid much attention.
    I have roughly 60 albums of his on my iPod from official releases and numerous bootlegs, plus audio rips of his Barcelona and Hyde Park DVDs. If he released bootlegs like PJ did, I would be broke. I already have 3 books about him and the "Bruce" book is sitting on my stack of books, waiting to be read. I want to take a road trip and just go through his discography from "Greetings..." to whatever latest album he has out.

Listen to The Beatles.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    Spacemen 3
    The Black Keys
    Glen Hansard
    If These Trees Could Talk
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    I really didn't get into Tool until Lateralus came out. Wish I would have seen some of their earlier shows. Didn't even get to see a show on the Lateralus tour either.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I really didn't get into Tool until Lateralus came out. Wish I would have seen some of their earlier shows. Didn't even get to see a show on the Lateralus tour either.

Amazing tour. That's when I got into them, but I was lucky to catch a couple shows. They're the type of band I don't think you can get really into too early in discovering them. They have to be the biggest growers out of all the bands I listen to.

Took me awhile to really get deeper into Radiohead. In Rainbows clinched it for me, but should've latched on much earlier.

Beatles-didn't dismiss them for long, but it was too long, still feel like I'm catching up sometimes

The Band-still gotta dig more into this amazing band
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    By the time I heard my first Kings of Leon song ("Arizona" at a bar a couple years ago), they were already selling out Madison Square Garden.

Same with Mumford & Sons ("Little Lion Man" at an Italian restaurant a couple months ago), only for them it's Barclays Center.

It doesn't look like Alabama Shakes is coming around anytime again soon. Who knows what venue they'll be playing when they do?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I didn't start getting into My Morning Jacket until 2008 and am so pissed that I could have been listening to them for years prior to that.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    The White Stripes
    The Raconteurs
    The Dead Weather
    Jack White
    The Black Keys
    QOTSA
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    JK_Livin wrote:
    The White Stripes
    The Raconteurs
    The Dead Weather
    Jack White
    The Black Keys
    QOTSA

Thank you. How could I forget Jack White and all his stuff. I just fully got into him about a year ago. Where the hell all those years? So mad at myself, I had chances to see white stripes and dead weather but just didn't go because I didn't get it....now i do :shock:
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Pearl Jam!
    QOTSA
    The Afghan Whigs
    MMJ
    Avett Brothers
    Sonic Youth
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    guided by voices. it doesn't even make sense that i missed them. early 90s drunken pop rock savants? how could no one have turned me on to this back then? even after bob opened for pj it took me 2 more years. it's just inexcusable.

the replacements. didn't catch on til the "i'll be you" video. with paul becoming more and more the hermit, this one hurts the most.

drive-by truckers. not til after jason left.

the hold steady. not til they toured with the truckers.

tom waits and the beatles were both off my radar til my 20s, but i'm kind of happy about that because i didn't really "miss" any important years, and having big bodies of work to discover at my own pace was more rewarding.

pearl jam and nine inch nails were really the only 2 important ones where i got in on the ground floor. i've been late to the party for almost everything since.