The Killers

Comments

• LexyLexy Posts: 46
    Suziemay wrote:
    In case anyone didn't get the alert, MSG Killers show tonight cancelled due to Brandon Flowers having laryngitis. New date TBD.

Oh no! Not again! I hope he's okay, perhaps this is what was up at the show I went to? Sorry to anyone who had tickets. Let's just hope there's nothing long term up with him if this is the second time. :?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Lexy wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:
    In case anyone didn't get the alert, MSG Killers show tonight cancelled due to Brandon Flowers having laryngitis. New date TBD.

Oh no! Not again! I hope he's okay, perhaps this is what was up at the show I went to? Sorry to anyone who had tickets. Let's just hope there's nothing long term up with him if this is the second time. :?
    Yeah, it must be something recurrent, because there was nothing wrong with his voice on Dec. 3rd. Pretty shitty thing to keep getting for a singer, that's for sure!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Lexy wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:

Yeah, it must be something recurrent, because there was nothing wrong with his voice on Dec. 3rd. Pretty shitty thing to keep getting for a singer, that's for sure!

Aww crap. Sure is! :? Oh yeah how was your show by the way? :)
    Lexy wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Lexy wrote:

Aww crap. Sure is! :? Oh yeah how was your show by the way? :)
    This is my fan view posted on the previous page after the show.
    Saw the show in Vancouver last night, and it was actually really good! The crowd was pretty into it for a Vancouver crowd. There was even crowd surfing! I could barely believe my eyes when that started happening! :lol: And the band sounded excellent (in the other 3 times I've seen them live, their sound quality was fairly shitty, so I'm glad they worked that out). I was really struck by how much they've changed since I last saw them (I think that was 2007 or so). It is a WAY more spectacular show than they used to put on. Some pretty spectacular fireworks, quite a light show the whole time, and an almost weirdly impressive blast of silver confetti near the end. :D It was really fun! I was struck at how much bigger the band seems to be now compared to 2007 (which I think was way back when they released Sam's Town). Brandon Flowers has got some serious crazy fans now; he went down at the end of the show and they mobbed him on the GA rail; and he took his rings off before going down there, knowing that they'd be ripped off his hands if he didn't. It kind of reminded me of Justin Bieber fan behaviour (but not as desperate). How things have changed in the past 5 years!

One thing though... Brandon talked a bit between a few songs, and I found him to be really strange. He wasn't personable or funny or even interesting... instead he actually came off like an evangelical preacher... Not a fire and brimstone one; the kind you see on TV who are trying to make everyone think he's friendly (but they leave a slightly greasy taste in your mouth). It did not appeal to me. I would prefer if he didn't talk at all, if that's how he's gonna do it.

Also, I realized just how used to PJ I'm getting (and how appreciative of them I really am). My friend said to me that she "cheated" and looked at the setlist for the show... she said this only a quarter of the way through the show. And I honestly looked at her completely puzzled. I said, "what do you mean? How could you have looked at the setlist when they haven't played the show yet???" She looked at me like I was stupid or something, and reminded me that most bands play pretty much the same show every night. For a second I found that shocking, and then I remembered that it's true. :fp: Thank goodness for Pearl Jam! :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Saw the show in Vancouver last night, and it was actually really good! The crowd was pretty into it for a Vancouver crowd. There was even crowd surfing! I could barely believe my eyes when that started happening! :lol: And the band sounded excellent (in the other 3 times I've seen them live, their sound quality was fairly shitty, so I'm glad they worked that out). I was really struck by how much they've changed since I last saw them (I think that was 2007 or so). It is a WAY more spectacular show than they used to put on. Some pretty spectacular fireworks, quite a light show the whole time, and an almost weirdly impressive blast of silver confetti near the end. :D It was really fun! I was struck at how much bigger the band seems to be now compared to 2007 (which I think was way back when they released Sam's Town). Brandon Flowers has got some serious crazy fans now; he went down at the end of the show and they mobbed him on the GA rail; and he took his rings off before going down there, knowing that they'd be ripped off his hands if he didn't. It kind of reminded me of Justin Bieber fan behaviour (but not as desperate). How things have changed in the past 5 years!

One thing though... Brandon talked a bit between a few songs, and I found him to be really strange. He wasn't personable or funny or even interesting... instead he actually came off like an evangelical preacher... Not a fire and brimstone one; the kind you see on TV who are trying to make everyone think he's friendly (but they leave a slightly greasy taste in your mouth). It did not appeal to me. I would prefer if he didn't talk at all, if that's how he's gonna do it.

Also, I realized just how used to PJ I'm getting (and how appreciative of them I really am). My friend said to me that she "cheated" and looked at the setlist for the show... she said this only a quarter of the way through the show. And I honestly looked at her completely puzzled. I said, "what do you mean? How could you have looked at the setlist when they haven't played the show yet???" She looked at me like I was stupid or something, and reminded me that most bands play pretty much the same show every night. For a second I found that shocking, and then I remembered that it's true. :fp: Thank goodness for Pearl Jam! :D
    [/quote]

Ahh sorry, missed this! Sounds great! I'm glad you had a good time! Oh dear about his little speeches... :lol:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    new song out called "Shot At The Night" produced by M83 which you can tell. Sounds ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Leo22AXLEXg
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    new song out called "Shot At The Night" produced by M83 which you can tell. Sounds ok.

Pretty eh in my opinion. Like the Killers and like M83 separately, but together it sounds like a continuation of Battle Born material, which I found pretty weak. I appreciate that the band's sound has evolved, but more of Hot Fuss/Sam's Town/Sawdust era Killers' sound would be nice.
    PLAY THE SOUTH

God, that stinks IMO. I wish The Killers would get good again. They have pretty much sucked since after they released Sawdust.
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I agree with Eric for the most part. I think it's an okay song, but nothing like their first two albums. My favorite album by them, by far is Sam's Town. I wish they would become more edgy...but I don't think BB was a bad record at all. I felt like it was a lot strong than Day and Age. This song is growing on me though...it still gives me a special feeling inside when I hear it, like what I feel with for most Killer songs, sure there's not much to it, but I don't think it's a terrible song. It might just be the fanboy in me when it comes to the Killers though... :lol:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
    thefixer9 wrote:
    I agree with Eric for the most part. I think it's an okay song, but nothing like their first two albums. My favorite album by them, by far is Sam's Town. I wish they would become more edgy...but I don't think BB was a bad record at all. I felt like it was a lot strong than Day and Age. This song is growing on me though...it still gives me a special feeling inside when I hear it, like what I feel with for most Killer songs, sure there's not much to it, but I don't think it's a terrible song. It might just be the fanboy in me when it comes to the Killers though... :lol:
    :lol: Maybe. :think: I relate to this because I was a fangirl for quite a long time after they stopped putting out great albums. I actually saw them last December for the FOURTH time (once got to see them at MSG, during their Sam's Town tour) ... and they really did still put on a good show once again. But I have finally grown sick of their not-so-good music. I still love the first two albums though. :)
  • WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    I'm very iffy with The Killers. Some of their songs are good, but they remind me too much of Coldplay or Muse. And there is no problem with that, but they just sound too poppy for my tastes sometimes.
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • WhyGo91 wrote:
    I'm very iffy with The Killers. Some of their songs are good, but they remind me too much of Coldplay or Muse. And there is no problem with that, but they just sound too poppy for my tastes sometimes.

I think The Killers have far more artistic integrity than Coldplay, they just make the kind of music they want to make regardless of trends. I think they'll be one of the few bands from the last 5-10 years that are still relevant/have respect in 20 years. I think there's a bit for everybody in their catalog, Sawdust in particular has quite a few of their more hard rocking tracks (Move Away, All The Pretty Faces, Leave The Bourbon On The Shelf).
  • WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    WhyGo91 wrote:

I think The Killers have far more artistic integrity than Coldplay, they just make the kind of music they want to make regardless of trends. I think they'll be one of the few bands from the last 5-10 years that are still relevant/have respect in 20 years. I think there's a bit for everybody in their catalog, Sawdust in particular has quite a few of their more hard rocking tracks (Move Away, All The Pretty Faces, Leave The Bourbon On The Shelf).

Yeah I know what you mean, and I love that there are so many people on this forum that love them, that's great! It just doesn't do anything for me haha. I'm more of a Gaslight Anthem and Kings of Leon guy (less of an Arcade Fire and Killers guy). HOWEVER, I do think that their latest album Battle Born is amazing!
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
    Their new tune is starting to grow on me....

I really want to get the Deluxe version of Direct Hits....It includes A Documentary, the album and 5 LPs with all the songs of them....*Drools*
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87cLyBR1JTo

Really into this one lately. Killer (ha) cover
    PLAY THE SOUTH
    EZ1221C wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87cLyBR1JTo

Really into this one lately. Killer (ha) cover
    Romeo and Juliet is a great song. So is Tranquilize. IMO, Sawdust was the last time I really liked what they were doing. I don't really like Battle Born at all. I think it's their worst album so far (by far).
    I love when the Killers cover songs "Romeo and Juliet", "Four Winds", Shadow Play", "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself". My least favorite Killer's album is Day and Age. I actually really like Battle Born, but my favorite from them by far is Sam's Town.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• rangers72rangers72 lockerbie.uk Posts: 141
    that new song is brutal.remember seeing them in glasgow during the sams town tour and they were at the top of there game.sadly for me the music has lost a lot of its edge.
    http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/973905/v ... lers.jhtml

The new Killer's song. I like it even less than "Shot at the Night" Lyrically, it's not too bad, but musically, it's not very good at all. They need to go back to Sam's Town/Sawdust era.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    It's an anti-Santa song. Right on. About time someone called that guy out. :))
    for those that still like them, new song that came out a week ago
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3xcybdis1k

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    edited July 2017
    It's kind of sad how The Killers suck now. I had such high hopes for them after their first two great albums, and they were really good live (ended up seeing them 4 times over a few years). Then they got lame. I just read some article this morning about how they feel like they were in a bad head space or were acting like dicks back at the beginning.... I found myself wishing they were still in that dickhead era though, since obviously them being that way caused their music to be good, lol.
  • dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NC Posts: 187
    Really enjoyed their Battle Born album personally. Still listen to Runaways, The Way it Was, Miss Atomic Bomb, and Here on Out quite a bit. Thought their live show back in 2013 was great. Brandon has great pipes live.
    2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
    dpduke69 said:
    Really enjoyed their Battle Born album personally. Still listen to Runaways, The Way it Was, Miss Atomic Bomb, and Here on Out quite a bit. Thought their live show back in 2013 was great. Brandon has great pipes live.
    Yes indeed - I'm sure they are still a great live show. I didn't like Battle Born at all unfortunately. Anyway, I feel like they really changed in a fundamental way a long time ago, though I don't know why. But I'm glad I can still enjoy Hot Fuss and Sam's Town!
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    dpduke69 said:

Runaways might be one of there best songs period IMO.  Still a great band live with a good enough catalog to play a solid 90 minute set without too much filler.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Watched their set from Lollapalooza on the webcast last night....they covered Starlight by Muse and Disarm by the Pumpkins!  Such a fun band to see live  Will definitely check them out on their upcoming tour.
    new album is not too bad.  Only gave it a listen to once though.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Just saw an article about them covering the song American Slang by Gaslight Anthem the other night. I don't know anything but singles by The Killers, but I love seeing Gaslight getting some news. Maybe it will get the idea to the band that their influence is vast and maybe they're needed. 
    edited January 2018
    My full album review (as someone who was a HUGE fan when they first came along with their first two albums, I think I'll always feel a little invested in this band, no matter how many shitty albums they crank out, so a song-by-song analysis still feels like entertainment for me, lol):

- I like the first song, "Wonderful Wonderful". It's pretty cool. Reminds me of Depeche Mode, which is a good thing. Kinda dark, catchy. Not bad at all. I understand why this is their title track.
    - Then they suddenly go disco for the second song, "The Man", and not particularly successfully IMO - just another disco-inspired song; heard it before, and done better. I also think I hear a touch of early Michael Jackson in there, but not genius. In order not to be too negative, I do still think it's also fairly catchy.
    - And then they go super-auto tune for "Rut". This is an immediate turn off, and they made it worse by also making it sound like some kind of movie theme song or something - I first thought of Working Girl and that Statton Island Ferry scene ... that is actually technically a positive reference because that's a fine film, but... why is it on a Killers album? Weird. (Why in the hell do artists keep doing that shit with the auto tune btw? I felt that FUN. ruined that Some Nights album with auto tune - it would have been a solid album without it).
    - Then there is "Life to Come"...  Rather cheezy. Makes me feel a bit like I do when I hear Sirens, lol, but not as bad. But it's also boring because they have several other songs that sound just like this, with varying degrees of success.
    - On to "Run for Cover". Again, I feel like I've heard this Killers song before ... and then he hits the line "redemption song" and I'm distracted for the rest of the song thinking about Bob Marley. By the time I came back they'd reached that "let's slow this song down suddenly and then speed it up again" moment, which they've done to death, and I'm out - couldn't even listen to the end of it.
    - Track 6 is "Tyson vs Douglas". Intriguing beginning with a sound bite of a Tyson fight. Oh darn, then the song kicks in, lol. I feel no connection between that fight and this music. It just doesn't seem to fit at all. Like, who the hell watches a huge heavy weight boxing match involving Mike Tyson and then feels the way this song sounds? Nobody. Except Brandon Flowers, apparently. Well, he is a Mormon after all.
    - 7th track is "Some Kind of Love". Hmm. The piano is more prominent in this one, which I always like. This song is pretty damn soft-rocky, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not overly dramatic, which I might have expected. Also a good thing. But it still sounds like I've heard it before, decades ago, with kind of that airy feel, and then the child back up vocals kick in, which has been done to death... big fat meh.
    - Okay, next is "Out of My Mind"... ugh. The intro has been done how many time by The Killers now? Like 10 times? Seriously, I think these guys must just be clean out of ideas. I mean, they already have a song called Read My Mind, and now Out of my Mind where he actually references romeo and Juliette, another song from the past. This song also has kind of a crappy sounding 80s feel to it at times, not in a good way. P.U.
    - Then comes "The Calling".... This begins with a Woody Harrelson monologue of all things. Okay, I'm interested. Then it goes into a reasonably cool, slightly dirty groove with some heavy base. I think they're going for kind of a dark story time sound here, like a German fairy tale, lol. Not great, but not the worst.
    - Last song (not a great sign that I'm completely relieved it's over) - "Have All the Songs Been Written?".... Good Lord, are they aware how it comes off to end their album with a song called that?? I mean, I wrote that comment about how they're out of ideas before I even noticed this title or heard it. I suppose if this is their last album ever, this is kind of a hilarious thing to do. I think there is a very good reason for them to be asking this question! :lol: As for the song itself.... boring. Sounds exactly like a couple of other songs they've done. How appropriate.

Wow, I guess I don't like this album very much. :lol: At least one good song came out of it. "Wonderful Wonderful" is probably one I'll even put on my mp3 player.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on