im open to new music,

dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
edited December 2012 in The Porch
and like to listen new things ....

im not into rap,but i can listen and have an opinion..

isnt my style music ,but cant avoid it,you go to a club ,open your radio,tv commercials,.
so you will listen this kind of music at some point...

but really..this guy last night...was really bad...

i understand the need this type of music to be a part of this type of event...

but with all those monsters of music around,and some masterpiece songs...

i cant call that thing Kanye West did ........music.

is this like the best rapper or something?..i think they could find a better one..
"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
"..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
“..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    might want to add another "p" in rapper, buddy. ;)

i hear ya, though. the stones play 2 songs....yet Kanye kept going & going? :fp:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • :clap:
    And to top it off, Kanye is an a$$hole!
    September 15, 1998 Mansfield MA/ August 29, 2000 Mansfield, MA/ June 11, 2008 West Palm Beach, FL/ July 2, 2012 Prague, Czech Republic/ July 4, 2012 Berlin, Germany/ July 5, 2012 Berlin, Germany/ September 21, 2012 Pensacola, FL/ July 16, 2013 London, ON, Canada/ July 19, 2013 Chicago, IL/ October 12, 2013 Buffalo, NY/ October 25, 2013 Hartford, CT/ November 23, 2013 Los Angeles, CA/ November 24, 2013 Los Angeles, CA/ November 26, 2013 Oakland, CA/ November 29, 2013 Portland, OR/ November 30, 2013 Spokane, WA
  • Personally I think that rap peaked in the early '90s with NWA, Dr. Dre and all that came out of the Westcoast in those days. Beastie Boys were good too. I think popular rap artists along with other genres of music have just dropped talentwise.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    for exable,i m not listening to alicia keys,i dont have any of her album..

but she is just wow..amazing talent and last night she was magical!!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    rap didn't peak in the 90's, rap is peaking now and for the past 10 years. as much as i hate to admit it, rap sells to kids of all ages, the same kids that listened to pearl jam in 1995, are now exclusively into rap. kids today can't even identify with songs that have guitar in it. think about major rock groups that have become mainstream in the past few years. can you name any? mumford and song? hardly rock. what is the last rock band that has taken the world by storm?
    kayne might suck in our eyes but to millions he his a celebrity.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    mfc2006 wrote:

i hear ya, though. the stones play 2 songs....yet Kanye kept going & going? :fp:

Not sure... My ears felt pretty raped...
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    rap didn't peak in the 90's, rap is peaking now and for the past 10 years. as much as i hate to admit it, rap sells to kids of all ages, the same kids that listened to pearl jam in 1995, are now exclusively into rap. kids today can't even identify with songs that have guitar in it. think about major rock groups that have become mainstream in the past few years. can you name any? mumford and song? hardly rock. what is the last rock band that has taken the world by storm?
    sure.that why he was at this event..they couldnt go with out a rap in this type of event..
    the word celebrity was said ike 100 times...the cause was to raise money,so rap music scene must be in the show.same as celebrities
  • YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Why someone should be able to go up there have one of the largest sets, with the last song they play with an anthem in the song "Let's have a toast to the douche bags...." is beyond me.

Especially when the Stones only have two songs...really?

I mean, I guess that kind of thing means something to I guess a lot of people (sadly) which is why he was there....but more than the Stones, Bruce, and eh em........ED?

It was awful.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

djklambake wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

Not sure... My ears felt pretty raped...
    funny..we have this saying in Greece:" the way you said something the first time was the right one\"lol
    YLed2 wrote:
    Why someone should be able to go up there have one of the largest sets, with the last song they play with an anthem in the song "Let's have a toast to the douche bags...." is beyond me.

I mean, I guess that kind of thing means something to I guess a lot of people (sadly) which is why he was there....but more than the Stones, Bruce, and eh em........ED?

It was awful.
    ok,i saw alot comment that,but we dont know the details of the lineup
    maybe stones was ok,or they ask to play only 10 min..
    YLed2 wrote:

It was awful.
    ok,i saw alot comment that,but we dont know the details of the lineup
    maybe stones was ok,or they ask to play only 10 min..

No, I'm sure Kanye went over his time alotted or he demanded to have the time he did, while the others just went along with it. Take it to the bank.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

"sure.that why he was at this event..they couldnt go with out a rap in this type of event..
    the word celebrity was said ike 100 times...the cause was to raise money,so rap music scene must be in the show.same as celebrities"

dimi i agree with you 100%. I didn't say rap was good but unfortunately rap is king here in the united states. i would love to hear some good rock but there's no one to pass the torch.
  • mcgruff10 wrote:

A while ago, like 1-2 years ago, I looked through my iPod and the "new" rock on there was stuff like Clutch or System of a Down from 2002-2006 or so. :shock:
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    was intresting they didnt have a big pop name,like Madonna,lady Gaga,Rihanna..etc,this type
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    "sure.that why he was at this event..they couldnt go with out a rap in this type of event..
    the word celebrity was said ike 100 times...the cause was to raise money,so rap music scene must be in the show.same as celebrities"

dimi i agree with you 100%. I didn't say rap was good but unfortunately rap is king here in the united states. i would love to hear some good rock but there's no one to pass the torch.
    i get it..same is in alll the planet right now...
    maybe kayne was getting eddie back for bonnaroo? lol
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    maybe kayne was getting eddie back for bonnaroo? lol

:lol:

Quite possible.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    I think the Stones were a late addition (maybe even Eddie was too) so that might explain the short set.

As for Kanye. I think he's hit or miss. He has some great songs, but he also has a lot of duds. Jay-Z might have made more sense. Or maybe a Beastie Boy or Run DMC tribute as both are iconic New York bands.

I thought the crowd was pretty dead. I have it on DVR and skimmed through it, but there were some legends up there and it seemed the crowd wasn't that into it. Maybe because the high prices brought a more up-tight audience? Maybe it didn't cary over that well on TV? I don't know.

I just wished Roger Daltrey would have kept his shirt on. His scar was bothering me. :o
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • mcgruff10 wrote:

I think he meant in terms of quality, in which case rap definitely peaked in the early 90s. Yeah sure there's more listeners now but since when has that correlated with higher quality.
    6/03/06 Continental Airlines II East Rutherford, NJ
    6/25/08 MSG II New York, NY
    9/02/2012 Made in America Philly, PA
    10/21/13 Wells Fargo Center I GA Philly, PA
    10/22/13 Wells Fargo Center II GA Philly, PA
  • slobberdog68slobberdog68 In Hiding Posts: 682
    :clap:
    And to top it off, Kanye is an a$$hole!

He sure is. The music industry should have black balled him when he jumped on stage with Taylor Swift.
    The minute he came out last night, I left and walked around :fp:
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,292
    I agree that Kanye was awful last night.

But he is a much better rapper/performer than he showed last night
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

now u said that,my mind went to the fact that this show was set up alot for tv..
    all the planet could watch it..so maybe the atmosphere was different in the venue for some artist
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

True - I agree with that second point. I liked his very early stuff, but then everything got to his head and he stated to spin off the planet.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,292
    YLed2 wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

True - I agree with that second point. I liked his very early stuff, but then everything got to his head and he stated to spin off the planet.

He has become a crazy egomaniac
  • I have no problem with Kanye, but I had no sense of connection to that performance. I love the Watch the Throne album with Jay-Z, and enjoy a lot of other Kanye songs. It's definitely not the kind of music I find inspiring or has any particular sense of integrity, but it has its place in my life. Based on what I've seen I don't think I would enjoy a show, though.

I'm probably in the minority here, but while I love a lot of Who songs, I thought they were the most embarrassing act of the night. Daltrey looked like he was about to have a stroke while singing...and then of course there was the shirt. I also found it mildly inappropriate to shove a Keith Moon tribute into a benefit for Sandy victims, not to mention the unfortunate lyric change from "teenage wasteland" to "Sandy wasteland."

Alicia Keys isn't really my thing, but thought she killed it.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

I have no problem with Kanye, but I had no sense of connection to that performance. I love the Watch the Throne album with Jay-Z, and enjoy a lot of other Kanye songs. It's definitely not the kind of music I find inspiring or has any particular sense of integrity, but it has its place in my life. Based on what I've seen I don't think I would enjoy a show, though.

I'm probably in the minority here, but while I love a lot of Who songs, I thought they were the most embarrassing act of the night. Daltrey looked like he was about to have a stroke while singing...and then of course there was the shirt. I also found it mildly inappropriate to shove a Keith Moon tribute into a benefit for Sandy victims, not to mention the unfortunate lyric change from "teenage wasteland" to "Sandy wasteland."

Alicia Keys isn't really my thing, but thought she killed it.
    embarrassing act of the night,even sounds heavy this,i think was stones..
    i find it moving the keith moon tribute....the sandy wasteland,was unfortunate indeed..
    as for Alicia,i dont thing will be someone will say any different thing here..she was super!!
  • embarrassing act of the night,even sounds heavy this,i think was stones..
    i find it moving the keith moon tribute....the sandy wasteland,was unfortunate indeed..
    as for Alicia,i dont thing will be someone will say any different thing here..she was super!!

Stones sounded fine to me, but are DEFINITELY hard to watch. HD isn't always an improvement!

The Keith Moon thing felt stale and rehearsed, but mostly just thought it was out of place at an event like that. But really I just wanted him to button his shirt :lol:
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684

Stones sounded fine to me, but are DEFINITELY hard to watch. HD isn't always an improvement!

The Keith Moon thing felt stale and rehearsed, but mostly just thought it was out of place at an event like that. But really I just wanted him to button his shirt :lol:

Alicia was awesome. Best acts (in no particular order) were Bruce, Clapton, Waters, Billy Joel and Alicia. I also thought Chris Martin was good. I wasn't impressed with the who or rolling stones at all. I didnt even bother to watch kanye :lol:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Better Dan wrote:

Alicia was awesome. Best acts (in no particular order) were Bruce, Clapton, Waters, Billy Joel and Alicia. I also thought Chris Martin was good. I wasn't impressed with the who or rolling stones at all. I didnt even bother to watch kanye :lol:

I liked McCartney, but he can do no wrong in my eyes.

">here</a>.
    or

But really I just wanted him to button his shirt :lol:

thats why Pete said at the end to the crowd ....Have a fuckn beer!!!!!""

was probably the only way to make them drunk and forget the open shirt... :lol: