This generation and priorites

PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
We have a young lady that is out on Family Medical Leave because she was having a baby. She has not notified us (her employer) that she had the baby, nor has she applied for the benefits she is deserved (Short Term Disability). Yet, we know she had the baby because it was posted on Facebook and another employee saw it.

What is wrong with this generation and their priorities? This woman has no Paid Time Off available, she did not take advantage (as instructed) to file for her short time benefit prior to her delivery, and now she has no income to speak of. But she made sure she posted her baby news on Facebook.

I just don’t get it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    We have a young lady that is out on Family Medical Leave because she was having a baby. She has not notified us (her employer) that she had the baby, nor has she applied for the benefits she is deserved (Short Term Disability). Yet, we know she had the baby because it was posted on Facebook and another employee saw it.

What is wrong with this generation and their priorities? This woman has no Paid Time Off available, she did not take advantage (as instructed) to file for her short time benefit prior to her delivery, and now she has no income to speak of. But she made sure she posted her baby news on Facebook.

I just don’t get it.

was it a difficult pregnancy?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    That is very sad.... Has anyone contacted her to find out what is going on ???
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    She went out and they tried to induce and it didn't work. I have spoken with her twice and she had still not had the baby. Since she was already out for her maternity leave, I told her she could apply for Short term now and didn't have to wait until she had the baby. You have to be out one full week before you are eligible for short term.

It's not sad, it's pathetic. Your first priority should be to take advantage of the benefits that are out there that will help you with the birth of your newborn.

she has zero income right now. What is she waiting for??

and no juggler, it wasn't a difficult pregnancy
  • This generation?

I blame My Generation.

We raised these blithering idiots!

:P
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    This generation?

I blame My Generation.

hahaha!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    A little strange. Does your company had issues in the past hassling people who file for this making her nervous to do so?
  • This generation?

I blame My Generation.

Haha!

I'm still trying to figure out how this is a generational thing. Sounds as ridiculous as speculating that it's a Philly thing.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    So this whole generation doesn't have their priorities straight, huh? It's not a generation thing. There are dumb people in every generation.
  • SK359828 wrote:
    This generation?

I blame My Generation.

Haha!

I'm still trying to figure out how this is a generational thing. Sounds as ridiculous as speculating that it's a Philly thing.
    All of this countries problems and issues all started in Philly.
    And have worked their way to Cincy!

• This is her problem, not your problem. You did your part. Go listen to some Pearl Jam.
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    DS1119 wrote:
    A little strange. Does your company had issues in the past hassling people who file for this making her nervous to do so?

That was my thought. It's certainly not unheard of that some companies (not necessarily yours, OP, but some) give new moms a hard time, or even outright fire them when they attempt to come back (or if not firing, then "eliminating their job position). It's awful and unfair, and maybe your coworker fears repercussions for seeking out her benefits.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    kw18 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

That was my thought. It's certainly not unheard of that some companies (not necessarily yours, OP, but some) give new moms a hard time, or even outright fire them when they attempt to come back (or if not firing, then "eliminating their job position). It's awful and unfair, and maybe your coworker fears repercussions for seeking out her benefits.

Yep this is very true. This happened to my sister. Eventually after about a year she was able to get her job back, but she never really quite got over it.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    DS1119 wrote:

Absolutely not, it's her benefit

and I apologize for utilizing the term "this generation" if I offended anyone, I guess I'm talking more about the Social Media existence - the fact that she chose to notify facebook about her delivery and hasn't called her employer or applied for the benefits that she rightly deserves and I'm pretty sure, COULD REALLY USE RIGHT NOW

it just blows my mind where the priority is here
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    DS1119 wrote:

and I apologize for utilizing the term "this generation" if I offended anyone, I guess I'm talking more about the Social Media existence - the fact that she chose to notify facebook about her delivery and hasn't called her employer or applied for the benefits that she rightly deserves and I'm pretty sure, COULD REALLY USE RIGHT NOW

To be fair, it takes all of two seconds to post a FB photo and status. So I don't really see it as her putting the priority of FB over her benefits -- its two seperate issues, really. And, like some others have suggested, she could have a few different reasons for not applying for the benefits.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    DS1119 wrote:

Why are you so concerned with this? You mentioned this social media existence that we live in today. I think a big problem today is everyone sticking their noses into other peoples' business. You don't know what her reasons are for not applying for these benefits.
    Why are you so concerned with this? You mentioned this social media existence that we live in today. I think a big problem today is everyone sticking their noses into other peoples' business. You don't know what her reasons are for not applying for these benefits.

Why are you attacking me? This happens to be part of my job and you know, like everyone else on this board, I'm talking about something that affects me and my job. It's called having a fucking discussion.

Why are you attacking me? This happens to be part of my job and you know, like everyone else on this board, I'm talking about something that affects me and my job. It's called having a fucking discussion.

I'm not attacking you. Just having a discussion. You're the one who generalized an entire generation as not having their priorities straight which seems to be a pretty big attack.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    I find it odd that this person didnt get everything straightened out ahead of time, but then again, I've never been through childbirth and I dont know where one's head is. But Posting pictures of a new baby on facebook shouldnt have any bearing on her employment status. Perhaps they're excited about bringing life into the world and wanted to share it with friends and family immediately? Not a big deal and there's really no correlation...

You know her personally enough to know that she has zero income? Is it not possible that she has something figured out or other family/husband/the father doing anything that you're not aware of?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Ok, let me set this straight, I already apologized for the "generation" usage.

I just don't understand why someone wouldn't take full advantage of the benefits out there, when they have been fully explained to them what is available. That's all really, I just don't get it. That's the gist of my whole post.

And yes I am aware that she has no income from this employer anyway, happens to be part of my job. And I have spoken with her several times, telling her, call this company and start your short term benefits, they're your RIGHT - why wouldn't someone who is entitled to at least 6 weeks, 60% of their pay, by just making a phone call and submitting medical documentation, which she has, because she gave birth!

Blows my mind that someone wouldn't take advantage of that, and as soon as you're eligible.

that's all. I just don't get it.
  • DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    I'm not hip so i quit trying to figure out people under the age of 30.
    My butt itches!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    maybe this person needs a hand holding to show her the process.

maybe this person does not realize that 'short term disability' applies to pregnancy, 'disability' is a pretty harsh word-they should change the term to 'short term medical leave'.

maybe this person just doesn't care, and doesn't plan on returning.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    DURP wrote:

:lol::lol:

and I fully explained the process to her, I'm sure she'll eventually get around to it :fp:
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Ok, let me set this straight, I already apologized for the "generation" usage.

I just don't understand why someone wouldn't take full advantage of the benefits out there, when they have been fully explained to them what is available. That's all really, I just don't get it. That's the gist of my whole post.

And yes I am aware that she has no income from this employer anyway, happens to be part of my job. And I have spoken with her several times, telling her, call this company and start your short term benefits, they're your RIGHT - why wouldn't someone who is entitled to at least 6 weeks, 60% of their pay, by just making a phone call and submitting medical documentation, which she has, because she gave birth!

Blows my mind that someone wouldn't take advantage of that, and as soon as you're eligible.

that's all. I just don't get it.
    RKCNDY wrote:
    maybe this person needs a hand holding to show her the process.

maybe this person does not realize that 'short term disability' applies to pregnancy, 'disability' is a pretty harsh word-they should change the term to 'short term medical leave'.

My theory is that it's a lack of self-advocacy. I work with college students, and I believe it's just general lack of self-advocacy. Although, I don't have any statistics to back up that theory. It's something I'd like like to study more if I had the money to do so.

But RKCNDY might be right - the person may not care, y'know? Maybe she has the money to cover it, so she doesn't have to worry. Let's hope that's what's happening, right? But you reached out to her, so your ass is covered. Let's just pray that financial issues won't be in this baby's future. :)
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
    DURP wrote:

and I fully explained the process to her, I'm sure she'll eventually get around to it :fp:

Hey man like I said i quit trying to figure them out.

My brother was out of work and broke and getting ready to get evicted from his apt. My wife was working for Kelly services and told him she could get him a job. She would call him and no answer then his phone got shut off. So she emailed him and told him to come down fill out the app and you can start working tmw. She even offered to go get him on her lunch bring him to the office and then take him back. He didn't want to made up some bs excuse.

We have the same parents but they raised us with two different styles. My dad would beat my ass tell me how stupid i was and all kinds of loving abilities. My brother was held and told how special he was. Yeah I don't work because of my injuries from the Army but when I was his age (23) I was living on my own in Georgia a Sgt in the Army and paying all my bills and living a good life. He lives at home and mom makes excuses for him. "Oh he hasn't found his drive yet" or "He's not ready to make a career choice" I have no idea what that last one means.

Yeah he's the baby I get that, but he's not the only kid his age that acts that way. I know not every person under 30 is lazy and has a sense of self entitlement but it seems like there are more younger people saying gimme gimme gimme.......gimme some more (Yeah I'm doing Black Flag references) and it's sad.

Okay enough of my old man rant.
    My butt itches!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    DURP wrote:

:lol: exactly

I see what you mean OP, this would frustrate me too, wanting her to have what is rightfully hers
    and it's your job to do so.

Something I have been noticing on TV, live shows, people now have their twitter things
    and will actually not be paying attention to much goings on around them
    there in the studio... busy typing stuff in.
    I guess they are talking to someone else while on TV :?
    This whole thing is gettin very weird to me.
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    DURP wrote:
    Yeah he's the baby I get that, but he's not the only kid his age that acts that way. I know not every person under 30 is lazy and has a sense of self entitlement but it seems like there are more younger people saying gimme gimme gimme.......gimme some more (Yeah I'm doing Black Flag references) and it's sad.

You are welcome to come sit next to me while I'm at work and give every student your old man rant. :lol:
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • When I was your age, I walked 20 miles, both ways, to school! And I didnt have shoes! We ate dirt for dinner! And we liked it!

drivingrl wrote:
    DURP wrote:

You are welcome to come sit next to me while I'm at work and give every student your old man rant. :lol:

I'm sure it would be well received.
    My butt itches!
  • Don't forget this is also the generation of over parenting. Carlin knew it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo2Y4PzTCOc

Plus, is there any chance this person simply doesn't care about this job? Drop the leash!
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
    SK359828 wrote:
    Don't forget this is also the generation of over parenting. Carlin knew it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo2Y4PzTCOc

Plus, is there any chance this person simply doesn't care about this job? Drop the leash!

Don't forget that everyone is a winner. Even if your kids sport team goes 0 and whatever they all still get a trophy. Which in my opinion sets them up for failure in life. Yeah it sucked playing sports and losing but it helped later in life in dealing with obsticles in life and knowing that if you get knocked down you can get up.

Getting a trophy, ribbon or whatever for just showing up sends the wrong message. Winners get trophies and the loosers have to work harder to get that trophy. Seriously what's next? Every single major sports team getting thier respective leagues trophy because we don't want anyone's feelings hurt?
    My butt itches!