edited December 2012 in Other Music
Dead today at the age of 92

67647-004-B203C51A.jpg
Pandit_Ravi_Shankar.jpg
"See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I've got his Three Ragas album on vinyl, I'll have to give it spin tonight in his memory.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    too bad saw him with george harrison in 74
  • Options
    I saw him last year at the age of 91 and he put most musicians to shame. I have never seen anyone play with such joy and laughter. Music today just seems to be about being 'cool' and trying to fit into a certain style both musically and aesthetically but Ravi just plays for the love and enjoyment of it. His personality bounced off the walls and through his musicians and audience. One of the greatest muscial experiences of my life.

Popular music had Jimi Hendrix
    World music had Ravi Shankar

R.I.P. Maestro.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    :(
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    RIP Ravi. Thank you for your influence on western music through The Beatles.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Newch91 wrote:

+1

Even though George's Indian music tunes are pretty much automatic skips for me, they are genius. Every once in a while I'll listen to them (especially the Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows mashup from Love) and enjoy them. But I have to be in the right mood (and since I no longer do drugs I'm rarely in the "right mood") to enjoy them.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Newch91 wrote:

+1

Even though George's Indian music tunes are pretty much automatic skips for me, they are genius. Every once in a while I'll listen to them (especially the Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows mashup from Love) and enjoy them. But I have to be in the right mood (and since I no longer do drugs I'm rarely in the "right mood") to enjoy them.
    I'm not big on "The Inner Light" but absolutely love "Within You Without You."
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Oh, bummer. I saw Ravi Shankar perform at Stanford's outdoor Frost Amphitheater with Ali Akbar Khan and several other outstanding Indian performers (in 1968 if I recall correctly). Simply amazing.

RIP, Ravi Shankar.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.