Fighting For GA Is No Different Than Fighting For Yourself

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited October 2012 in The Porch
Sorry, I just have to call a spade a spade. Year in and year out it's the same old debate...we want GA seating. Who wants that? The newest memebrs or members with low fan club members that's who. They use excuses like:

"it's more fair for everyone"....really when you have groups of people making lists to hold people's place in line for hours so they can eat, drink, check out the scene, wait in line for a fucking poster or let their buddies cut in with them. 40% of the the first ten rows of reserved seats are randomly distributed. I'd call that pretty fair.

"I'm short and can't see with resereved seats"...really, so a GA show suddenly makes you taller and have the ability to see?

"I want to be with my friends"....we're all friends at a PJ show. If you want to sit with specific people then find tickets together. Other than that hang out with your friends at the pre or post parties.

"Reserved ticket crowds are lame"....hmmm I've been to quite a few shows and they were far from lame. As an observer from the stands at MT the floor was no different there than a reserved show crowd. Sorry, but it wasn't.

What these pushes for GA shows in the US is nothing more than members trying to look out for themselves...and if I were in their shoes I would probably do the same thing...but lets call it what it is. An attempt for YOU to have better seats. That's it. It has nothing to do with crowd energy. It has nothing to do with being with friends. It has nothing to do with your height. It has EVERYTHING to do with what YOU feel will give YOU the best shot to be up close. Just saying how it is.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I wouldn't say it was fighting... more like you invest the effort, you reap the rewards.
    Fighting sound like if you want to punch and claw your way to the front... you deserve it. You should get their early... sit on the sidewalk... get a spot on the rail... don't move from there til Mike finishes the 'Star-Spangled Banner'.
    But, i agree with the gist of your point... sacrifice a little... gain alot. What's the problem, right?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cosmo wrote:
    I wouldn't say it was fighting... more like you invest the effort, you reap the rewards.
    Fighting sound like if you want to punch and claw your way to the front... you deserve it. You should get their early... sit on the sidewalk... get a spot on the rail... don't move from there til Mike finishes the 'Star-Spangled Banner'.
    But, i agree with the gist of your point... sacrifice a little... gain alot. What's the problem, right?

If the band chooses to go to GA shows (they won't), but if they did then members better be ready for full on GA. Not these line list Nazis. Not these let me hold your place in line while you go eat and then I'll do the same for you. Bring on the full fledged GA. You move....you lose. Let some bastard try skipping me in line becasue his name is on some made up list. I'll personally shove those 6 posters your holding in your hand right up your ass and send you in embarrassment to the back of the line. :lol:
  • Actually I feel that its a shame that there is little chance (~ <1%) of me ever seeing my favorite band up close as i wasn't able to join tenclub at the age of 3. I don't mind seated concerts but why not have the whole floor random so people who don't like GA still get to take a seat and the chance of me ever getting to see mikes fingers moving is not lower than winning the actual lottery. Either that or at least add more random rows to the floor besides the 1,2 and 10 or whatever it is.

I just feel its a shame to music that i will probably never get to see my favorite band up close, which isn't a debate of GA Vs Seating.
    DS1119 wrote:
    If the band chooses to go to GA shows (they won't), but if they did then members better be ready for full on GA. Not these line list Nazis. Not these let me hold your place in line while you go eat and then I'll do the same for you. Bring on the full fledged GA. You move....you lose. Let some bastard try skipping me in line becasue his name is on some made up list. I'll personally shove those 6 posters your holding in your hand right up your ass and send you in embarrassment to the back of the line. :lol:
    Note to self: Make sure to get in line AFTER DS1119 at the Gen.adm gig... because staying hydrated means urinating which will lead to a poster colonostrophy.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    sparky_fry wrote:
    Actually I feel that its a shame that there is little chance (~ <1%) of me ever seeing my favorite band up close as i wasn't able to join tenclub at the age of 3. I don't mind seated concerts but why not have the whole floor random so people who don't like GA still get to take a seat and the chance of me ever getting to see mikes fingers moving is not lower than winning the actual lottery. Either that or at least add more random rows to the floor besides the 1,2 and 10 or whatever it is.

I just feel its a shame to music that i will probably never get to see my favorite band up close, which isn't a debate of GA Vs Seating.

I never got to see Stevie Ray Vaughn in concert either. I will also never marry a super model and I'll never be over 6 feet tall. Sometimes life isn't fair. At least you have a chance to be close to a PJ concert with the random rows of 1,2 and 9,10. All I'm saying with my original post is these "excuses" are shallow attempts at people trying to better themselves. That's it.
  • "but lets call it what it is. An attempt for YOU to have better seats. That's it. It has nothing to do with crowd energy. It has nothing to do with being with friends. It has nothing to do with your height. It has EVERYTHING to do with what YOU feel will give YOU the best shot to be up close. Just saying how it is"

The same can be said for you no?
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    sparky_fry wrote:
    Actually I feel that its a shame that there is little chance (~ <1%) of me ever seeing my favorite band up close as i wasn't able to join tenclub at the age of 3. I don't mind seated concerts but why not have the whole floor random so people who don't like GA still get to take a seat and the chance of me ever getting to see mikes fingers moving is not lower than winning the actual lottery. Either that or at least add more random rows to the floor besides the 1,2 and 10 or whatever it is.

5 of the last 5 shows were GA on the floor. I'm pretty sure your can find you way to the front in the future.

If we include Europe it might be something like 20 of the last 20 shows.
  • Wilds wrote:
    sparky_fry wrote:

4 of the last 5 shows were GA. I'm pretty sure you can find you way to the front in the future.

I could also find my way to the moon, own a yacht, and buy the playboy mansion. Traveling twice as far and spending twice the money isn't an option unfortunately. I also don't know why i got sucked into this topic again :?
    sparky_fry wrote:
    I could also find my way to the moon, own a yacht, and buy the playboy mansion. Traveling twice as far and spending twice the money isn't an option unfortunately. I also don't know why i got sucked into this topic again :?
    Here is hope... I hope you win the lottery.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    While my number isn't great, I've been happy with the seats I've gotten (to include winning the lottery - 10th row - at PJ20). I was also fortunate that, after 9 years, PJ finally played Atlanta and after spending ~12 hours of standing at the front I finally got to see them up close and personal....and it was everything I hoped. And there was no fighting involved (although it was touch and go there before the boys hit the stage. Nothing like a drunken prick to try to ruin what had been a perfect day).
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
    You know how to resolve a lot of the issues?
    A. No More Lottery.
    B. One pair of tickets with your membership number per tour. Period.
    You can still go to as many shows as as you want... but, you only get one pair that uses your membership number.
    That's how it was prior to 2003. We got to pick one show. This made us choose wisely... and it made us pair up with other members so we could split our tickets and get 2 shows (if we want).
    Example: my 139,xxx number landed me in the center of the third row in 1998's Yield Tour.
    That same number in the same venue in 2006 landed me in Row 14.
    Still, a great seat... but, i'll tell you... Row 3 was 1,000 times better.
    I would also like to see some sort of method where a kid with a 400,000 number who lives in Utah... get a better seat that an old guy with a 139,000 seat flying in from Los Angeles. It is his home... he should sit closer than people flying in from all over the place.
    Same thing for the old guy with the 139,000 number should sit closer than the guy from New York with the 45,000 number. The New York guy can go to New York and sit in the front row with that number. That should be good enough.
    Granted... a lot of people will still be further back... unless they choose wisely.
    Hail, Hail!!!
    sparky_fry wrote:
    "but lets call it what it is. An attempt for YOU to have better seats. That's it. It has nothing to do with crowd energy. It has nothing to do with being with friends. It has nothing to do with your height. It has EVERYTHING to do with what YOU feel will give YOU the best shot to be up close. Just saying how it is"

The same can be said for you no?

Yup. But I don't hide behind excuses. I'm very fortunate to have the number I have. I've always been very candid about that. I just wish people would stop hiding behind these other excuses when it simply boils down to the fact that they want to be close. It's that simple and that's all that my post states.
  • CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

I am not sure you have a completely accurate picture of how the line and the list works. And I have only had one experience with a GA line at Missoula, but here is my take. The first person in line starts the list, everyone signs in and their hand gets numbered accordingly. I arrived at the line around 9:30 AM and was 39th in line at Missoula. I left the line a few different times to use the restroom, but otherwise I was there the entire day. And when I say "line" I mean the area near the 10 club entrance. People were sitting in a grassy area, or sitting on the curb, or sitting in chairs in the general area of the "line", but no one was in a single file line all day. The majority of the people were there all day long. Sure there were some people who signed in and then tried to leave for the entire day and that pissed many of us off. And there were also people who waited in line all day and then suddenly had several friends join them to go in when the doors opened. There were also a couple of people who arrived too late and then just tried to write a random number on their hand (bald guys, you know who you are :nono: ). But the majority of the people ushe the system in a fair and respectable manner. If people could just act civilized and respect the system it would all work out fine. But once you get in you also have people pushing their way to the front of you, which fortunately did not happen to me because I have a giant brother and there were some other giant dudes standing near me. I am not against GA, nor am I against the "unofficial" line. The numbering system and list is crucial because people cannot stand in line all day without using the restroom. Sure, a guy could just pee in a bottle or something, but where does that leave the ladies? Also, to step away from the line to get food or drink should not be a big deal either. The tricky part is that people abuse the system, and it leaves people like me who tried to follow the rules somewhat pissed off by the end of the day. All of this is to say, the system can work, and much like everything else in life, some people will just try to fuck it up.
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

Well if the people that got there early in line have decided on the list and the venue is enforcing the list anyone trying to cut will get bounced, happened in Montana. Only one embarrassed is going to be you, just like the other people that got bounced out of line that tried to cut before we got in. Venue staff led us all calmly to the floor, it was like we had seats.
    Carey wrote:
    I am not sure you have a completely accurate picture of how the line and the list works. And I have only had one experience with a GA line at Missoula, but here is my take. The first person in line starts the list, everyone signs in and their hand gets numbered accordingly. I arrived at the line around 9:30 AM and was 39th in line at Missoula. I left the line a few different times to use the restroom, but otherwise I was there the entire day. And when I say "line" I mean the area near the 10 club entrance. People were sitting in a grassy area, or sitting on the curb, or sitting in chairs in the general area of the "line", but no one was in a single file line all day. The majority of the people were there all day long. Sure there were some people who signed in and then tried to leave for the entire day and that pissed many of us off. And there were also people who waited in line all day and then suddenly had several friends join them to go in when the doors opened. There were also a couple of people who arrived too late and then just tried to write a random number on their hand (bald guys, you know who you are :nono: ). But the majority of the people ushe the system in a fair and respectable manner. If people could just act civilized and respect the system it would all work out fine. But once you get in you also have people pushing their way to the front of you, which fortunately did not happen to me because I have a giant brother and there were some other giant dudes standing near me. I am not against GA, nor am I against the "unofficial" line. The numbering system and list is crucial because people cannot stand in line all day without using the restroom. Sure, a guy could just pee in a bottle or something, but where does that leave the ladies? Also, to step away from the line to get food or drink should not be a big deal either. The tricky part is that people abuse the system, and it leaves people like me who tried to follow the rules somewhat pissed off by the end of the day. All of this is to say, the system can work, and much like everything else in life, some people will just try to fuck it up.

No one says you can't step out of line to use the restroom and have someone hold your place. We all know this didn't happen and usually doesn't happen. Also, this GA crowd was slighlty different in MT. There was what....1,000 people....anyone here expect this system to work in NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, LA, etc. It would be pure chaos. 1000's and 10000's of people working on the honor system at MSG! :lol::lol: Good luck with that. :lol::lol: Thank goodness the band will never seriously play GA shows in the States.
    SolarWorld wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

Well if the people that got there early in line have decided on the list and the venue is enforcing the list anyone trying to cut will get bounced, happened in Montana. Only one embarrassed is going to be you, just like the other people that got bounced out of line that tried to cut before we got in. Venue staff led us all calmly to the floor, it was like we had seats.

The venue in MT has the time to deal with a couple of hundred fans in line who had GA tickets who cared about getting in early. MSG in NYC could give two fucks about any list. :lol: Those gates open the line moves in. Do you think bigger venues would actually give a shit about this? Do you think the 10c would hire someone to go from show to show to monitor this? :lol:
  • Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    My sister and her boyfriend went to a few shows over in Europe this summer and they were disgusted with the way some people were self-policing the line.

I'll be honest, I've been in a lot of GA crowds, I was in two this past week, and when it comes to idiot pricks pushing their way past you in a crowd, acting stupid or plain just not following proper concert etiquette Pearl Jam fans are the worst. Not saying those people are on this forum, maybe they are, I'm just saying from my own personal experience, I find PJ fans as a whole, to be very selfish at shows.

I don't agree with GA in North America because I truly believe the seniority method is fair. My number is crap and I'll never win the lottery. I sit between 19-24 rows away every show but I accept the fact that there were people who signed up before me and there will be people who signed up after me. Adding the 4 lottery rows makes it even more fair. For example, My old man signed up in 2009. His number is up in the 450 range and he won 10th row in Hamilton last year. Still 9 rows closer than I've ever been, and I'm okay with that because this method is fair. It lets the people with seniority use it, and gives a shot to people with crap numbers a chance to get close. Everyone wins.

Keeping my fingers crossed that one day I'll win row one. If I don't You bet your ass I'm still going to enjoy the shit out of what ever show I'm at.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Who decides what time the list starts, and what prevents someone from starting a different list earlier then the generally-obeyed list?
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Who decides what time the list starts, and what prevents someone from starting a different list earlier then the generally-obeyed list?

No one determines what time the line starts, it's just the craziest, er I mean first person who arrives. They arrive at the Tenclub Entrance, start the list, and STAY there.
    sparky_fry wrote:

I can appreciate that you want to be close, but the 10C already took action to give everyone a chance to be in rows 1,2,9,10.....how far should they go?

In the old days, there was no lottery!
    Carey wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

No one determines what time the line starts, it's just the craziest, er I mean first person who arrives. They arrive at the Tenclub Entrance, start the list, and STAY there.

Sounds like there can be a lot of monkey business with this system. If a group of, say, 10 people, arrives super early, starts the list, and then all but one of them leave for a long time, would people start griping?
    I would :roll: Fortunately there was not a whole lot of this at Missoula. I could see it happening other places though. Of the almost 40 people in line in front of me in Missoula, maybe a handful of them were gone most the day. Same goes for the 20 or so people after me, maybe a handful of them were gone most of the day.

The solution to this is to have an hourly rollcall. If you miss the roll call, you lose your spot in line.
    Carey wrote:
    I would :roll: Fortunately there was not a whole lot of this at Missoula. I could see it happening other places though. Of the almost 40 people in line in front of me in Missoula, maybe a handful of them were gone most the day. Same goes for the 20 or so people after me, maybe a handful of them were gone most of the day.

The solution to this is to have an hourly rollcall. If you miss the roll call, you lose your spot in line.

Roll Call is a good idea, but I could see altercations breaking out if people refused to give-up their spot upon missing said roll call.

Another option: 2 hours before door time, hold a lottery to determine place in line...this would make it easier, but I could see how those who are willing to wait in line for 12 hours would complain.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Carey wrote:

this is good idea..would be great if all respect the "rules"but unfortunetely not all do that..

if the security involved with this its easy to manage it..

exable Rotterdam 09

every 50 people or so,wairing in the 10c early entrance the security put barries..
    was a specific security guy at every section that know who was in +they gave numbers..

so u could go to restroom and get back..in your area..noone could sneak in...

all worked perfect..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Carey wrote:

Roll Call is a good idea, but I could see altercations breaking out if people refused to give-up their spot upon missing said roll call.

Another option: 2 hours before door time, hold a lottery to determine place in line...this would make it easier, but I could see how those who are willing to wait in line for 12 hours would complain.

All nobel ideas but just won't happen here. I mean even in MT didn't stay in line. I know I keep bringing this venue up but it can be applied to pretty much anywhere PJ plays these days. I take the MSG example. You expect people to sit in line for 12 hours in the middle of NYC? People there to use the honor system? I bet for a 50 bucks I could be moved to the front of the line ten minutes before the doors opened by someone wearing an MSG badge. :lol: It's just that PJ has a wonderful ticketing system right now. If I were in Europe I would be pushing for the US system. It's just fair. And back to my original post, I just wish members here who are adamnet about the GA system would just man up and say exactly why they want it instead of BS excuses. It's that you want ot be up front.
    DS1119 wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Carey wrote:

All nobel ideas but just won't happen here. I mean even in MT didn't stay in line. I know I keep bringing this venue up but it can be applied to pretty much anywhere PJ plays these days. I take the MSG example. You expect people to sit in line for 12 hours in the middle of NYC? People there to use the honor system? I bet for a 50 bucks I could be moved to the front of the line ten minutes before the doors opened by someone wearing an MSG badge. :lol: It's just that PJ has a wonderful ticketing system right now. If I were in Europe I would be pushing for the US system. It's just fair. And back to my original post, I just wish members here who are adamnet about the GA system would just man up and say exactly why they want it instead of BS excuses. It's that you want ot be up front.

I will man-up and say that as someone with a 72xxx member number, I want them to keep things status quo. I am glad they found a middle ground with the lottery.
    i know both sides how works..line,no line,GA,seated...i did shows and usa and europe

i dont do the line .i dont get a number,i dont wait there all day..even i pass alot from the line,chat with friends,etc...

i dont care how close i ll be,i was second row at Amsterdam 1 and before the show i went back to 7th cos i saw a friend and wanna be with him and his wife at the show..

my pro with seated isnt seniority and low ,high numbers..i want GA to aal the shows not only pj ones,other bands dont have the seniority system..

the answer is..that i want to be with the people i choose....when i go to a party i want to be with my friends,go see all the rooms of the party place..chat and dance with different friends..

even im in the back,far away from the stage,i want to be with who i want..

and yes,,some of us we have more than one friend...at a pj show..

and the thing that makes me happy,is that at Missoula fanviews thread,alot of people enjoy spending time with others in the line,they love the energy GA show creates,NO question about that and alot thank alot of people for helping them...they create bonds that you cant have when u go from your hotel room to the merch table,to your seat and back to your hotel room..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    DS1119 wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Carey wrote:

Fuck yes it's because I want to be up front. I think 100% in line in Missoula would have said the same.
    Carey wrote:
    Fuck yes it's because I want to be up front. I think 100% in line in Missoula would have said the same.
    im sure about that..

+need to see beautiful faces like yours at the fotos of the crowd from first rows... ;)
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    DS1119 wrote:
    The venue in MT has the time to deal with a couple of hundred fans in line who had GA tickets who cared about getting in early. MSG in NYC could give two fucks about any list. :lol: Those gates open the line moves in. Do you think bigger venues would actually give a shit about this? Do you think the 10c would hire someone to go from show to show to monitor this? :lol:

No buddy but you're acting like its not possible ever. There is no reason why the line cant be respected, well I guess people like you wont respect it, but once the door is opened all bets are off. The line just gets you in better position to not be a total jerk and push your way to the front. Maybe that's why they dont do GA cause they know people like you act like this...

"F those people who stood in line all day!" "Im getting in front of them!" I dont really care but I choose not to be an asshat at shows...