Fellow PJ'er needs help

jjheel13jjheel13 Durham, NC Posts: 222
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.gofundme.com/s34iw

Hello all,

The name's Jared. A 2010 Graduate from East Carolina University and a huge Bruce Springsteen and Pearl Jam fan.

I used to work in the Journalism Industry but in the last year followed my love of Criminal Justice in the Corrections field. Now after a year in a county jail, I'm ready to go work with the big boys in Indiana -- and I dare say a move from North Carolina to the Hooiser State ain't cheap. And dealing with student loans...forget it.

So whether it's a nickel or a dime. Anything Helps. Thanks and God Bless.

For the Springsteen fans, "We Take Care of Our Own." For the Pearl Jam fans, help me "Wash away all those Yesterdays."

For the highest PJ Contributor...I have a couple extra backspacer tour tee's size mediums, a XL-DC 2010 shirt, and a couple various christmas singles. I'll even throw in the bootleg of your choice.
Bristow 10
Boston 10
Moline 14
Greenville 16
Hampton 16
Columbia 16
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jjheel13jjheel13 Durham, NC Posts: 222
    Bump....please help
    Bristow 10
    Boston 10
    Moline 14
    Greenville 16
    Hampton 16
    Columbia 16
    Bump for the night
    Bristow 10
    Boston 10
    Moline 14
    Greenville 16
    Hampton 16
    Columbia 16
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I don't want to sound mean or anything but times are tough for a lot of people out there right now. The way I see it is you have a college degree and you're currently employed. Frankly, I know moving isn't cheap. A few suggestions for you possibly to obtain your goal. Perhaps you can defer your student loans? I know the government is somewhat lenient with that so that may be something to look in to. Also, have you considered getting a second job. I know something like working at a McDonalds or a retail store (Wal-Mart, Target) may not be the sexiest thing to do but after only a couple of months and some saving you would probably have a few thousand extra bucks which should definately help with some of your moving costs.

What I'm kind of getting at (and perhaps why you aren't getting any responses) is quite frankly life is not easy. There's a lot of things I want in life and I work 58 hour work weeks for them and it's still not enough for all I want. To come here and state that you have a college degree, you're currently employed, but you want to move so please give me a donation doesn't look good at all. If my calculations are somewhat correct you graduated in 2010 so it makes you 24 or 25 years old. Way too young my man to be looking for a handout especially when you have a job and a college education.

Life's a struggle. If you feel you need to move to further your life...work for it. It will be that more rewarding when you obtain your goal and the life experience will make you a better person. Good luck.
  • barger395barger395 Posts: 855
    DS1119 wrote:
    I don't want to sound mean or anything but times are tough for a lot of people out there right now. The way I see it is you have a college degree and you're currently employed. Frankly, I know moving isn't cheap. A few suggestions for you possibly to obtain your goal. Perhaps you can defer your student loans? I know the government is somewhat lenient with that so that may be something to look in to. Also, have you considered getting a second job. I know something like working at a McDonalds or a retail store (Wal-Mart, Target) may not be the sexiest thing to do but after only a couple of months and some saving you would probably have a few thousand extra bucks which should definately help with some of your moving costs.

What I'm kind of getting at (and perhaps why you aren't getting any responses) is quite frankly life is not easy. There's a lot of things I want in life and I work 58 hour work weeks for them and it's still not enough for all I want. To come here and state that you have a college degree, you're currently employed, but you want to move so please give me a donation doesn't look good at all. If my calculations are somewhat correct you graduated in 2010 so it makes you 24 or 25 years old. Way too young my man to be looking for a handout especially when you have a job and a college education.

Life's a struggle. If you feel you need to move to further your life...work for it. It will be that more rewarding when you obtain your goal and the life experience will make you a better person. Good luck.

Well said!

Cheers,
    Barger
    Seen the Best Rock Band on the Planet a few times here and there.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    1378934_o.gif
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    This seems like a slippery slope... :?

Hey everyone, I really need a new laptop, and a wifi plan. Any help would be great. :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    DS1119 wrote:

• he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Best of luck to you jjheel but I have to say that DS has hit the nail on the head. Watch your cornhole in the state pen, no matter what side of the bars you're on :shock:
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    Well said DS!

I'm sure there are TONS of people on here who could use some help.

There are millions of other people our same age who are struggling- ever hear of the Occupy movement? What about the millions who are hungry or homeless on the streets? What about all the families who were hit hard by the economy and lost everything? I could on and on.

I'm 25 and have the same skeleton of a situation as you (communications degree, hated what I was doing, following passion, etc.) and the last thing I would do is beg for money. I actually work, intern, and am furthering my education full time. If I could give you any advice, it is to listen to DS's post.
  • sheri zonasheri zona Makai Side Posts: 356
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    This seems like a slippery slope... :?

Hey everyone, I really need a new laptop, and a wifi plan. Any help would be great. :D

Hi everyone, I'm only a digital member and I'd really like to be analog.......

:fp:

DS pretty much nailed it on the head. Student loans really aren't hard to defer, especially if you are broke. Hell, you can even do it online. Motivation and hard work will get you much farther than holding out your hand in the long run. Good luck, we have all been there at one point or another.
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    DS1119 wrote:

ditto
    and i am such a sucker for a hard luck story
    but i can't help you out
    either
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    My daughter's going to college in the fall. Damn, it's expensive. Someday, she may be getting married too. Is it still true that the father pays for the wedding? Oh, did I mention that I have two daughters?

Sure could use a little extra dough, if you're not using it. Send me a pm and I'll send you the Paypal link.

Just hoping for a new guitar this summer and didn't know how I was going to swing it. Thanks, bro.
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738
    I totally agree with all of the above, but also just wanted to say that I hope this kid(with 20 years on him prob,he still is a kid to me) is okay emotionally,mentally etc.,because I know if he would have come on here and expressed that he was struggling emotionally with the things going on in his life,and just was looking for "support" concerning that, I'm sure we all would be willing to be there with that help.
    When you include a link to "gofundme" and most of us bust our asses for the basic things we want,never mind the extras,it puts everyones back up.
    But I do sincerely wish him well in his life, and hope he finds his passion, God knows most of us never find it,or have the guts to go look for it.
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
    Watch your cornhole in the state pen, no matter what side of the bars you're on :shock:

:o :shock:
  • AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738
    DS1119 wrote:
    Watch your cornhole in the state pen, no matter what side of the bars you're on :shock:

:o :shock:

:lol::lol: I wasn't even going to attempt a comment on that :lol::lol:
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    Why don't you look into getting a second job to help you save up? Or if you have things that you don't need, try selling them on ebay, etc. Or if you need suggestions on how to earn or save more, then why don't you start a thread about that in the off-topic section of the board, instead of coming here asking for a handout.

Most people struggle at some point with money, it is part of life. If you have a roof over your head, plenty to eat and are happy, then you're doing a whole lot better than all the underprivileged people in our world.
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    save, save, save.

we're about to move from TX to WA/OR/CA & it is not cheap. we've been saving while in school....working 2 (sometimes 3) jobs. it wasn't easy at all. but now....after all of the long hours, the bullshit jobs, etc...the payoff is there. we're moving in a matter of weeks.

it takes time, patience & hard work. if you do it yourself, it's far more rewarding. best of luck to you.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Ask the penn for a relo package. Only way i move now. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Guys I am 21 and fresh out of college...not much help financially. I've been offered a job with the federal government (which is my DREAM) all I need is a little help for you all you to get me there. I'm begging you please help a fellow jammer. Once I've moved and made some $$$ I promise to spread the Karma. I just need the push.

I thank you all. This is the truth. "We all Walk the Long Road". I get that. Just help me find "Better Days."
    Bristow 10
    Boston 10
    Moline 14
    Greenville 16
    Hampton 16
    Columbia 16
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    So you graduated in 2010 at 19?

:confused
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    I think- fundementally, people only give to others because of a promise of some kind of return. Either an actual return or at least an emotional return. One must recieve goods or a good feeling in order to be compelled to give.

Giving to your "cause" promises neither- even though you've thrown some things in the pot. So you're missing that component.

Secondly- we're all inclined to relate more closely to individuals with which we share a common experience. Although undoubtedly we have all been in a situation where we needed some extra money we have also most certainly been through that expereince without help.

You have chosen to take a different route- one that many of us can't relate to. So you're missing that component as well.
  • -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    jjheel13 wrote:
    Guys I am 21 and fresh out of college...not much help financially. I've been offered a job with the federal government (which is my DREAM) all I need is a little help for you all you to get me there. I'm begging you please help a fellow jammer. Once I've moved and made some $$$ I promise to spread the Karma. I just need the push.

I thank you all. This is the truth. "We all Walk the Long Road". I get that. Just help me find "Better Days."

Why don't you look for more work to earn extra money? If you need money you need to work for it yourself.

Or could you ask your parents or a close relative for a loan? Or could you apply for a loan with a bank and pay them back after you've started your new job?

81 wrote:
    So you graduated in 2010 at 19?

:confused

+1
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Laurelin77Laurelin77 Posts: 25
    Interesting that you mention "karma". The idea behind karma is that one's good deeds and actions are rewarded by good fortune at some point in the future. Conversely, fortune gained by little action and/or bad deeds can be lost or severely compromised at some point in the future. If you're struggling right now, think of it as building good karma and do everything you can to push yourself toward your goals. Utilize resources, ask questions, research all the ways in which you might be able to get yourself to that job. And, if you can't, don't think of it as a failure. Think of it as a pathway to a new, perhaps more enlightening opportunity later on.

Right now, things are difficult and frustrating for you. They're not terrifying. Should you ever get to the point when you're sufficiently terrified for the well-being of your family and yourself, you'll be remembering (as I did), how "easy" you had it when you were poor and just out of college.

Eddie Vedder was recently interviewed about what he learned from having success and being successful. He touched on a few very good points you might benefit from.

He said, "What you realize, then, is that it's not about getting to this thing (the pinnacle of success), that it's really about the journey. It's really about the road traveled and the side roads to that. I know at the time, 'cuz I've been through it, that those are frustrating roads. You don't want to be on those roads. You want to be on the main highway and you want to get up in the rocket and you want to get to the (top), you know, just to see what it even feels like. Well, just having seen it, it didn't feel like much and I just wished I had maybe enjoyed the...the struggle. I'm saying, 'Enjoy the struggle' which is strange, but I think that's part of it. Because that struggle is exactly what you're going to use--all the tools in that struggle or all the muscles you build then are the ones that are going to, you know, keep you alive and in the game when you get to the next level of success."

There is a video of that interview, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it! In any case, it's from a documentary called "Off the Boulevard".

Good luck to you!
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    Sorry, but it seems kinda fishy. There's no personal touch to your story, and it seems like you could be a prince from a far off land. You just need to get yourself from NC to Indiana, and you already have a job lined up? You can't just get a lift or hitchhike? Put your stuff in storage and get it later? It seems weird to refer to your job with the federal gov as 'the big boys'. Sorry, not trying to be a tool.
    jjheel13 wrote:

Your profile on this site says you're 23.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=304203
  • veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Like anyone else on a journey into the next step of life I can only wish you luck but to be honest I find this kind of approach slightly offensive. There is no personal pride in asking for handouts and the personal reward for actually accomplishing something you have made happen yourself is lost. Have more respect for yourself and the people here and find a more creative approach, you will only thank yourself for it in the end. Honestly though, best of luck.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
    DS1119 wrote:
    jjheel13 wrote:

Your profile on this site says you're 23.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=304203
    :corn:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    Human-Fund.jpg
  • rodentrodent Posts: 133
    Last year he was 22 years old...

by jjheel13 » 28 Apr 2011 14:46

It's difficult parting with both...an I'm 22 and I'm starting to understand the word sacrifice. No PJ20 for me it appears either
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=191539

You are really going to start 2 threads; 1 asking for donations for you, and 1 asking for donations to "Chrons" (read Crohns disease). And out of the same fund, keep 85% and donate 15%...

Just stop making yourself look bad...

:nono: :corn:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
This discussion has been closed.