The Killers

robthepjfanrobthepjfan Posts: 647
edited November 2013 in Other Music
any Killers fans on here? new song on "Dark Shadows" film.....lookin forward to new album at some point this year
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    I like their stuff! Hoping to see them live soon, missed them last time they played MSG which was awhile ago.

I really like this, woke up to it on my radio one morning, it was the best wake-up song ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6OOOhLrHUw
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    LOVE THE KILLERS!!! :mrgreen:

They were my favorite band before PJ, now they are second. I'm probably the biggest Killers find you will find on this board... :lol: They were my very first concert and they were amazing. They have a great mix of fast past rock songs to slow alternative songs. Love Brandon Flower's voice and he has fantastic lyrics. Favorite album of theirs is Sam's Town....one of the best albums of all time. Really excited for their new album, Day and Age was great but not my favorite from them. In recent interviews they stated that their new album will feature heavy guitars and will sound like their early albums, CAN'T WAIT! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    thefixer9 wrote:
    LOVE THE KILLERS!!! :mrgreen:

They were my favorite band before PJ, now they are second. I'm probably the biggest Killers find you will find on this board... :lol: They were my very first concert and they were amazing. They have a great mix of fast past rock songs to slow alternative songs. Love Brandon Flower's voice and he has fantastic lyrics. Favorite album of theirs is Sam's Town....one of the best albums of all time. Really excited for their new album, Day and Age was great but not my favorite from them. In recent interviews they stated that their new album will feature heavy guitars and will sound like their early albums, CAN'T WAIT! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

The Killers are great. Doesn't get much better than their first 2 albums. Was really disappointed w/ Day & Age. Happy to hear there will be more of a guitar sound with the new album....hoping for some news on that one soon.

Also, their live at roayl albert hall live blu-ray is awesome.
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    I'm a huge Killers fan. I've seen them 5 or 6 times and saw Brandon Flowers on his solo tour in AC and Asbury Park. I was actually listening to "Losing Touch" as I found this thread. The solo on that is kick-ass. It's too bad it wasn't played as often as it should have been on that tour. The energy they put into their shows is unreal. I can't wait until they put out the new album and go on tour. You can't leave their shows in anything but a good mood.

I haven't heard the new song yet but my girlfriend and were planning to see "Dark Shadows" anyway so it'll be good to hear some new Killers while we're there.
  • HoltzmnHoltzmn Posts: 87
    Here's the cover of the Raspberries from the Dark Shadows soundtrack-
    http://youtu.be/YFg9aXJVLaI
    Royal Albert Hall is amazing and can't count how many times I've seen it and heard it. The Killers just rule and even their demos rule!
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    thefixer9 wrote:
    In recent interviews they stated that their new album will feature heavy guitars and will sound like their early albums:

this sounds familiar :)
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
    thefixer9 wrote:
    In recent interviews they stated that their new album will feature heavy guitars and will sound like their early albums:

this sounds familiar :)

:mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Love love love the Killers. Sam's Town is flat out fantastic, and Hot Fuss ain't too bad either. Day and Age has some pretty killer tunes too, but not my favorite.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
    EZ1221C wrote:
    Love love love the Killers. Sam's Town is flat out fantastic, and Hot Fuss ain't too bad either. Day and Age has some pretty killer tunes too, but not my favorite.

+10000
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    Tried time and time again to get into these guys...... They dont come across as genuine to me. Radio hits have a catch to them, but the other stuff has nothing for me......and in my mind, that's the stuff that makes a band worthwile.
  • robthepjfanrobthepjfan Posts: 647
    good to see some more Killers fans....i hjavent seen em live yet but plan to next time they tour.....love Hot Fuss and they have some great demos , holiday songs,etc....day and age wasnt quite as good as their first 2 albums but i loved the track "Spaceman" and Brandon Flowers has some incredible covers....look up "Bette Davis Eyes" from abbey road on youtube..incredible
    Tried time and time again to get into these guys...... They dont come across as genuine to me. Radio hits have a catch to them, but the other stuff has nothing for me......and in my mind, that's the stuff that makes a band worthwile.

I'm sorry you can't get into this amazing band. Maybe you are not opened minded enough but they have really great songs. Try "This River is Wild" "Change Your Mind" "Sam's Town" Just incredible songs.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

good to see some more Killers fans....i hjavent seen em live yet but plan to next time they tour.....love Hot Fuss and they have some great demos , holiday songs,etc....day and age wasnt quite as good as their first 2 albums but i loved the track "Spaceman" and Brandon Flowers has some incredible covers....look up "Bette Davis Eyes" from abbey road on youtube..incredible

Yes! Their holiday songs are amazing!!! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    For Reasons Unknown from Sam's Town is one of my favorite songs from any artist. Sam's Town is by far my favorite album of theirs.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
    thefixer9 wrote:

I'm sorry you can't get into this amazing band. Maybe you are not opened minded enough but they have really great songs. Try "This River is Wild" "Change Your Mind" "Sam's Town" Just incredible songs.

"This River is Wild" is amazing. I was lucky enough to see them play it at MSG. It didn't get played very much on that tour but it was one of my favorites from that album, along with "Uncle Jonny." I find some of their non-singles to be better than some of the singles (which are great, too). Give me a show with "Losing Touch," "This River is Wild," "Uncle Jonny," "Sweet Talk," "Leave the Bourbon on the Shelf," "Midnight Show," "Bling," and "Change Your Mind" and toss in their singles and I'd be happy.

I thought "Day & Age" was their weakest album but only because I wasn't a huge fan of "The World We Live In" and since there were only 10 tracks that brought down the average a bit. "Human" is probably my least-favorite single from them but it's still pretty good. I just thought it sounded a little too much like a remix of a song for my taste. I think "A Dustland Fairytale" would have been a better choice for the first single, but that's just my preference. That song is fantastic.
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    Not a huge fan. I have their first album and a few songs from their subsequent albums. I was flipping channels a while ago and happened upon a free DirecTV preview of Palladia and they were showing a Killers performance at some festival and my impression was that the lead singer sounded terrible. It's interesting to hear people on this thread say they are great live. I was not impressed. Maybe he had an off night but I had to turn it off he sounded so bad.
    Not a huge fan. I have their first album and a few songs from their subsequent albums. I was flipping channels a while ago and happened upon a free DirecTV preview of Palladia and they were showing a Killers performance at some festival and my impression was that the lead singer sounded terrible. It's interesting to hear people on this thread say they are great live. I was not impressed. Maybe he had an off night but I had to turn it off he sounded so bad.

I'm not sure what festival that was so I don't know if I've seen it, but I can say that I've never seen any bad shows from them and I've seen them 5 or 6 times plus 2 Brandon Flowers solo shows. Every performer will have an off night here or there and it must suck if your off night happens to be at a festival that will be aired on TV later, but if it was a bad vocal performance at that festival it was definitely the exception and not the rule. If he was as bad as you say then I'd assume it was more due to some sort of illness that was messing with his voice. If you check out their Albert Hall performance you'll get a better idea of how good they are in concert.
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    thefixer9 wrote:

I'll turn my head on the "not open minded" comment. I realize you are still a child.

The Killers to me sound like a knock off of the Strokes. Brandon Flowers just seems to be trying way to hard to sound like a British invasion band........
    thefixer9 wrote:

I'll turn my head on the "not open minded" comment. I realize you are still a child.

The Killers to me sound like a knock off of the Strokes. Brandon Flowers just seems to be trying way to hard to sound like a British invasion band........

And I'll turn my head at the "You are still a child" comment. Sometimes that's the problem. I was not open minded enough before I got into great bands like Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Toadies....ect. But I completely agree with them sounded like a British band. They are not like Coldplay, they have more depth than that.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

I'm not sure what festival that was so I don't know if I've seen it, but I can say that I've never seen any bad shows from them and I've seen them 5 or 6 times plus 2 Brandon Flowers solo shows. Every performer will have an off night here or there and it must suck if your off night happens to be at a festival that will be aired on TV later, but if it was a bad vocal performance at that festival it was definitely the exception and not the rule. If he was as bad as you say then I'd assume it was more due to some sort of illness that was messing with his voice. If you check out their Albert Hall performance you'll get a better idea of how good they are in concert.

+1
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

thefixer9 wrote:

"This River is Wild" is amazing. I was lucky enough to see them play it at MSG. It didn't get played very much on that tour but it was one of my favorites from that album, along with "Uncle Jonny." I find some of their non-singles to be better than some of the singles (which are great, too). Give me a show with "Losing Touch," "This River is Wild," "Uncle Jonny," "Sweet Talk," "Leave the Bourbon on the Shelf," "Midnight Show," "Bling," and "Change Your Mind" and toss in their singles and I'd be happy.

I thought "Day & Age" was their weakest album but only because I wasn't a huge fan of "The World We Live In" and since there were only 10 tracks that brought down the average a bit. "Human" is probably my least-favorite single from them but it's still pretty good. I just thought it sounded a little too much like a remix of a song for my taste. I think "A Dustland Fairytale" would have been a better choice for the first single, but that's just my preference. That song is fantastic.

You are so lucky!!! Would love to see that song live. Hopefully I can catch them again when they tour again. Yeah, I would love to some more rare songs get put into the setlits like the ones you mention or even "Change Your Mind" "Believe Me Natalie" "Sam's Town" "Under the Gun" Also I would love them to play some demos like "Replaceable" or even the controversial song "Where is she? (Soft Surrender)"
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    I saw them when they toured supporting "Sam's Town" at the Tsongas Arena in MA (around 4000-5000 capacity I think). GREAT live band. I remember they had this Beatles cover band from Japan open for them, who were amazing.

However, I absolutely hated "Day & Age." It really isn't even comparable to any of their other material. A failed effort in my opinion and I am definitely going to need to listen to any new material they put out on Spotify before I impulsively by any more of their stuff. That being said, I did really like their first two albums and a return to that style would be fine with me.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    Loved the first record and listened to it a lot. I didn't enjoy the second one as much as the first one but I do dislike the 3rd one.
    I saw them 3 times, they were good but not that great.
    And the singer is a real poseur, he somehow ruined the shows for me.
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    I like The Killers a lot too. I guess I'm in the majority in thinking the 1st 2 albums and the blu-ray are really good and D&A not so much.

I was fortunate enough to see them twice in Detroit. Once in '06 & again in '07 (both Sam's Town tours). I got to meet, and a signed ticket, from Brandon in '06 and I got a setlist from the '07 show. I remember standing just under the 2nd level of the Fox Theater & looking up during the show watching the entire 2nd level bouncing up and down! I thought to myself, I wonder if this could actally come down.

I saw some people carrying some cool (advertising) posters for the show. I havn't been able to find those anywhere. I would love to get one though!

I'm excited to hear they have some new & promising material coming out soon!
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    jason_94 wrote:
    I like The Killers a lot too. I guess I'm in the majority in thinking the 1st 2 albums and the blu-ray are really good and D&A not so much.

I was fortunate enough to see them twice in Detroit. Once in '06 & again in '07 (both Sam's Town tours). I got to meet, and a signed ticket, from Brandon in '06 and I got a setlist from the '07 show. I remember standing just under the 2nd level of the Fox Theater & looking up during the show watching the entire 2nd level bouncing up and down! I thought to myself, I wonder if this could actally come down.

I saw some people carrying some cool (advertising) posters for the show. I havn't been able to find those anywhere. I would love to get one though!

:thumbup: That's awesome!
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    thefixer9 wrote:
    jason_94 wrote:

:thumbup: That's awesome!

Thanks, I know. I was fortunate to catch both of them! They were both very good shows !!!
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Seen these guys 13 times live. Good show and you'll have lots of fun seeing them if you've never seen them before. Funny thing at a MSG show a couple years back, they got on at 8 and finished there show around 9:45....yes I said 9:45!!! Who the fuck headlines MSG from 8-9:45?!?!? It was a Sunday, maybe Mormons have to be in at a certain time on a Sunday???? Hahaha
    badbrains wrote:
    Seen these guys 13 times live. Good show and you'll have lots of fun seeing them if you've never seen them before. Funny thing at a MSG show a couple years back, they got on at 8 and finished there show around 9:45....yes I said 9:45!!! Who the fuck headlines MSG from 8-9:45?!?!? It was a Sunday, maybe Mormons have to be in at a certain time on a Sunday???? Hahaha

:lol::lol::lol:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

badbrains wrote:

I would have loved to see them play MSG and finish that early. The time I saw them there they had 2 opening acts that played at least 30 minutes each and the Killers didn't take the stage until about 10:00. It wouldn't have been a problem if not for the fact that we had to leave the show early in order to avoid missing the train back home or else wait around for 2 hours for the next train and get home sometime after 3:00. Still, they played "This River is Wild" that night so it was a great show.

My brother used to work for Live Nastion and he was working their show in Holmdel, NJ for their last tour. My girlfriend and I went to the show and he was able to snag us a setlist as a souvenir.