Documentaries

Nowhere ManNowhere Man Posts: 345
edited April 2012 in Other Music
Can you share some of your favorite music documentaries.
I was looking for one on Nirvana ft anyone could recommend one?

A few of my favs are:
Wilco - I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
The Band - The Last Waltz
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reedrothchildreedrothchild Posts: 538
    edited April 2012
    good choices... although i'd consider Last Waltz more of a concert film.

Mine would be:

The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal YEars
    Dig! (Brian Jonestown Massacre)
    Wilco- I am Trying to Break your Heart
    The Fearless Freaks (Flaming Lips)
    Bittersweet Motel (Phish)
    Devil and Daniel Johnston
    Anvil: The Story of Anvil
    Hated (GG Allin)
    The Future is Unwritten (Clash/Joe Strummer)
    PJ20
    Post edited by reedrothchild on
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Rising Low-documents Gov't Mule and the recording of their Deep End albums with all the guest bass players they had to fill in for the original guy

Ben Harper: Pleasure and Pain- just sorta discusses Harper's outlook and background in music.

It Might Get Loud- Page, Jack White and the Edge discuss what influenced them as guitarists and musicians
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    Bob Dylan's Don't Look Back -- a groundbreaking documentary for its pioneering cinema verite style.
    My two favorites are also No Direction Home and Running Down A Dream.
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    Foo Fighters is pretty good.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    maj4e wrote:

It's called 'Back & Forth' Very good.
  • Jason78Jason78 Posts: 400
    It Might Get Loud
  • mckaymckay Posts: 156
    American Hardcore!
  • MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    'Lemmy' is soooo awesome :)
  • bennett13bennett13 Posts: 439
    The Kids Are Alright
    Gimme Shelter
    Year of the Horse
    Dont Look Back
    The Last Waltz
    Heartworn Highways
    Down from the Mountain
    Eat the Document
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    maj4e wrote:

It's called 'Back & Forth' Very good.

Yeah I know and yes it's good.
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 522
    The White Stripes: Under Great White Northern Lights
    RHCP: Funky Monks

These are two of my favs that haven't been mentioned yet...

Also,
    We Jam Econo: The Story of the Minutemen
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Beyond the Lighted Stage: Rush.....and the one on the Drive-by Truckers.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    tybird wrote:
    and the one on the Drive-by Truckers.

Finally got to see that back in the fall. "A Secret To A Happy Ending". They were filming around the time that Jason left the band...no harsh words though. Very insightful. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Tom Petty- running down a dream
    Foo Fighters- Back and forth
    Pearl jam- PJ 20
    The who- the kids are allright
    White Stripes- Under Great white Northern Lights
    It Might Get Loud- Doc featuring: The Edge, Jack White, and Jimmy Page
    Pearl Jam- Single Video Theory
    Bob Dylan- Don't Look Back (This is the black and white one, where he goes off on Donovan, right?)
    To name a few. 8-)
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 773
    Tom Petty - Running Down A Dream
    Foo Fighters - Back & Forth
    PJ20
    Rush - Beyond The Lighted Stage
    The Funk Brothers - Standing In The Shadows Of Motown
    Lemmy
    The Beatles - Anthology
    Hard Core Logo (Mockumentary)
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • In general, I really like documentaries. This isn't specific to music but I recently watched a cool series. I think it was called "50 Documentaries To Watch Before You Die". It's hosted by Morgan Spurlock and is great as it devotes about 5minutes to each one including alternative interviews with people related to the films. I'd recommend it to anyone that is interested in documentaries and wants a starting point. If your cable provider allows for searches like Fios, etc just search for it and you'll see what I'm talking about. Definitely a worthwhile watch. :corn:
  • bennett13bennett13 Posts: 439
    red mos wrote:
    Pearl jam- PJ 20
    Bob Dylan- Don't Look Back (This is the black and white one, where he goes off on Donovan, right?)
    To name a few. 8-)

Actually, Donovan isn't treated too badly by Dylan in Dont Look Back. It starts off with Dylan reading & hearing about "this Donovan guy," who was being touted by the press as the "British Dylan." So Dylan has a bit of a sarcastic attitude upon first hearing about him. When they actually meet later in the movie, Dylan is quite respectful, even complimenting Donovan on the song he plays for him.

Dylan does, however, go off on quite a few members of the press in the movie, which is a delight to watch. :corn:
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    Yeah I would agree with "Lemmy", "The Secret to a Happy Ending" and "Anvil"
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    tybird wrote:
    and the one on the Drive-by Truckers.

Finally got to see that back in the fall. "A Secret To A Happy Ending". They were filming around the time that Jason left the band...no harsh words though. Very insightful. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

PBM
    That's the one.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • kwdaleykwdaley Posts: 499
    I love music documentaries...

Favourites come from Banger Films...

Iron Maiden - Flight 666
    Global Metal
    Metal: A Headbanger's Journey
    Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage

The Filth and the Fury (Sex Pistols)
    PJ20
    Lemmy
    The Foo Fighters one
    Gimme Shelter
    Ottawa 2011
    London 2013 "The Dundas Hookers on Crack" Show
    bennett13 wrote:
    red mos wrote:
    Pearl jam- PJ 20
    To name a few. 8-)

Actually, Donovan isn't treated too badly by Dylan in Dont Look Back. It starts off with Dylan reading & hearing about "this Donovan guy," who was being touted by the press as the "British Dylan." So Dylan has a bit of a sarcastic attitude upon first hearing about him. When they actually meet later in the movie, Dylan is quite respectful, even complimenting Donovan on the song he plays for him.
    Dylan does, however, go off on quite a few members of the press in the movie, which is a delight to watch. :corn:
    That's correct. Sorry I haven't seen the film in a few years, but whached that clip specifically on youtube. It was the press Dylan was pissed at, saying "would you ask the Beatles that?" My Bad. Loved how Donovan played, "I'll sing a song for you" then Dylan takes his guitar and plays "It's all over now, Baby Blue." 8-)
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    No direction home" is great
    Loved the doc about A Tribe Called Quest that Mike Rappaport did
    PJ20
    When Your Strange.. about the Doors and narrated by Depp
    I saw a Rush docon the Palladia channel that was pretty cool
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    Just watched A Secret to a Happy Ending... Fantastic!!! Always dug a little of their music and absolutely adore Southern Rock Opera, but this is gonna definitely kick start a deeper appreciation.
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    If you're a Foo Fighters fan definitely watch Back and Forth.

Anvil was really good. I had actually never heard of them until that doc came out. I actually really felt sorry for them after watching.
    If you're a Foo Fighters fan definitely watch Back and Forth.

Anvil was really good. I had actually never heard of them until that doc came out. I actually really felt sorry for them after watching.

I felt sorry for them, but then I actually seen them play. They blow. I think it says alot that they're more known for that movie than for any of their actual music.
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    "Phil Ochs : There But For Fortune" if you're interested in Phil Ochs or the 60's folk movement..
  • javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I see it's only about music, so here it goes...

This is Spinal Tap... can this be considered a documentary?

Buena Vista Social Club is a really good one, but I don't know if you are interested in this kind of music, or the Emir Kusturica and the Non Smoking Orchestra, I can't remember the name, it's about live songs and interviews...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• crowes74crowes74 Posts: 273
    Lots of good choices mentioned, I'll second Dig! . Shows the underside of music business .

Also highly recommended 'secret to a happy ending','pj20', and 'running down a dream'. The petty one is an all nighter, but still a great watch.
  • frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    Wilco - I Am Trying To Break Your Heart is wonderful
    Punk:Attitude by Don Letts has some amazing early (both UK and US) punk footage as well as some brilliant interviews, educational as well as entertaining.