Options

Any runners here?

acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I was never ever into running until a year or two ago. I always worked out with weights and jump rope, played squash but hated running. Now I do it four or five days a week.
I always ran on my treadmill and had a hard time getting far because it has been so boring.
I just started running outside....WOW huge difference. Huge. I ran an extra two miles no problem.
trying to get to five. Thats enogh for me really.
Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
Sweep the Leg Johnny.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I would recommend getting the Nike+ if you have an Ipod. Or a decent Garmin watch.
  • Options
    I am going to start running again next week... took a 3 month hiatus due to a stress fracture in my foot.

I'm really looking forward to it. The past month has been my holiday boozing and smoking period, and I feel like shit. Yesterday was the last of the drinking and smoking.

You should have a goal to work towards... like a half marathon or a Tough Mudder competition. Of course go get a really good pair of running shoes and replace them once or twice per year depending on mileage. Do 15 minutes of stretching every day and stay hydrated thoughout the day.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I enjoy running - its one of the best and cheapest ways to stay fit and healthy. :D

You don't need to be a fanatic to benefit the rewards of running, take it easy so you can remain injury free.

I've had a tough time with running this year, but I've started up slowly again on the "boring" treadmill. I do find the treadmill easier on my knees and joints then running outside.

Good luck :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    I was never ever into running until a year or two ago. I always worked out with weights and jump rope, played squash but hated running. Now I do it four or five days a week.
    I always ran on my treadmill and had a hard time getting far because it has been so boring.
    I just started running outside....WOW huge difference. Huge. I ran an extra two miles no problem.
    trying to get to five. Thats enogh for me really.

You're also starting to get that "runners high" :mrgreen:

5 miles is plenty...
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i run... but not by choice and i certainly don't enjoy it :?
  • Options
    conman wrote:

sorry it does get boring, but a new location or a different park can make things a little bit better for you.
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    mikalina wrote:
    conman wrote:

sorry it does get boring, but a new location or a different park can make things a little bit better for you.
    i never liked running, i'd rather swim.... that's fun for me
  • Options
    Swimming - I love swimming as well !!! Lots of swimmers on here too, and its a great workout.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I love running but unfortunately I also love not running right now. My fat ass needs to get back on the treadmill or outside. I enjoy both. It's the motivation I don't enjoy.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the only time i will run is when im being chased by a bear.... or a crocodile seeings how i live in oz. im just never in that much of a hurry.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    I was like the OP - started out for years on the treadmill and then got bored with it. Quit for a bit and started back up walking outside a couple of year ago and slowly turned into jogging. I now go running five mornings out of the week. Great way to start the day off
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Gibson72Gibson72 Posts: 1,245
    I love running.
    My wife got me a new Garmin watch for Xmas. Had the Nike+ band for a long time. Worked fine. Running the around the bay 30k in march with my step sister. Should be fun. Good luck with your runs.
    Gibson1972
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    the only time i will run is when im being chased by a bear.... or a crocodile seeings how i live in oz. im just never in that much of a hurry.

:D :thumbup: I wouldn't run the length of myself,another bus will always arrive
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    I run 3 miles on the treadmill every morning at 4:45.. a great way to start the day!
  • Options
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

This is a simple idea that I've been trying to put into practice myself. Always keep your eyes pointed in the direction that you are running. I've been running for well over 10 yrs with no running related accidents or injuries...until early November of this year. I continued running down hill as I approached a side street when I turned my head and upper body to check for any traffic coming from behind me that may be turning into the above mentioned side street. As I did this, I caught my left foot on broken sidewalk and did a complete face-plant into the pavement. I was lucky that a broken nose was the worst of it and my upper lip and forehead needed glued in the ER. A matter of an inch or so could have meant broken teeth or possible eye damage. But after all of that, I had my nose realigned in an outpatient surgery procedure and a little over a week after that I was back out running again...but paying very close attention to the uneven ground ahead and the direction that I am running. I'm up to approx. 4.5 miles a few times a week and I love it...throw some PJ on the ipod and I'm good to go. Keep running and be safe!
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    stargirl69 wrote:

:D :thumbup: I wouldn't run the length of myself,another bus will always arrive

see... thats my reckoning too. :thumbup:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I would recommend getting the Nike+ if you have an Ipod. Or a decent Garmin watch.
    What are they? I use an app on my phone called Endomondo. Works great but I need to hold it while running. Pain in the ass. My birthday is coming up. I can have my wife get me one of those. Tracks your running I am guessing?

Up to 3.75 miles!
    My neighborhood is a full loop that is a little over one mile around. Works great. Every loop is another mile.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    I am going to start running again next week... took a 3 month hiatus due to a stress fracture in my foot.

I'm really looking forward to it. The past month has been my holiday boozing and smoking period, and I feel like shit. Yesterday was the last of the drinking and smoking.

You should have a goal to work towards... like a half marathon or a Tough Mudder competition. Of course go get a really good pair of running shoes and replace them once or twice per year depending on mileage. Do 15 minutes of stretching every day and stay hydrated thoughout the day.

I have been involved in many ports my whole life, and I never ever ever stretch.
    I never had injuries either (knock knock). I dont see why stretching is so important. If I play squash I warm up because its bursts of motion and you need to be loose but for running I just walk outside and...well....run.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options

I have been involved in many ports my whole life, and I never ever ever stretch.
    I never had injuries either (knock knock). I dont see why stretching is so important. If I play squash I warm up because its bursts of motion and you need to be loose but for running I just walk outside and...well....run.

well, it does increase your risk of being injured if you don't stretch, especially if you're doing long distances. If you're only running a few miles here and there it won't be a problem, but if you get up to 5 miles or more on a routine basis and don't stretch you're going to eventually have problems with the t-band, your calves, hamstrings and possibly lower back. You'll also be faster and just plain feel better physically if you're flexible.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    I can see how that makes sense running far. I can only see it helping really.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Has anyone else noticed there seems to be an increase in people who actively run? I dont have any stats or data, but it seems that more and more people participate.

Anyways, I ran a 1/2 marathon this weekend and beat my goal time (which I thought was optimistic) 1:48:55.
    Thinking of doing a full marathon in the Fall, perhaps the Seattle R&R Marathon.
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I hate running but I feel pretty good after a nice run. I just picked it up very seriously in the past few weeks... I've dropped 10 pounds since running and changing my diet...
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Has anyone else noticed there seems to be an increase in people who actively run? I dont have any stats or data, but it seems that more and more people participate.

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=183552 ;)

I have never ran in a race. I might do ok. It would be kinda interesting though cause i have never really worked out or been to a gym :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    How the hell does the Nike + Ipod thing work? It tells me to walk around and activate my sensor but then nothing happens.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I visited Washington DC a few weeks ago, and I've never seen so many runners. Its like the whole damned town is running somewhere!

I think Forest Gump had the right idea. Run everywhere. Make people wonder whats your hurry. I dont have time for walking...im not kidding. I wish it wasnt so hot here -- I'd run every step I took. ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,251
    I love to run!
    Right now it sucks that I can't go out and run because it's 110-115. While I could run in the morning when it's cooler, I just am NOT a morning runner. Stuff doesn't seem to work right that early! :lol:
    Other than summer, I'm usually a 3-5 mile/day runner. I miss it already!
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    mca47 wrote:
    I love to run!
    Right now it sucks that I can't go out and run because it's 110-115. While I could run in the morning when it's cooler, I just am NOT a morning runner. Stuff doesn't seem to work right that early! :lol:
    Other than summer, I'm usually a 3-5 mile/day runner. I miss it already!

3-5 is perfect. Nice little sweat...getst the bllod pumping. But like you I'm not a morning runner.
  • Options
    CocoyrCocoyr Manila, Philippines Posts: 114
    I started running around 1990 to train to become a mountaineer. I used running as training before every climb. However, after graduating from college, I stopped running. By 2007 I noticed that my weight and cholesterol level is increasing. This made me take running for the seconed time. I have been hooked ever since. Joined my first race in 2010. I already finished around 15 Half Marathons and 3 Full Marathons.

Overall, I loss around 15 to 20 pounds. It's not too big but I only weigh 135 to 140 pounds right now. This without any changes in my diet just pure running compared to no running at all.

Its good to hear that there are other runners in 10c.

Run Safe.
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Anybody else here running the Peachtree on Wednesday? This will be my second time running it, and I'm hoping for a better run than my last one. Good race, great route.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738
    I'm actually supposed to be joining a "drinking club with a running problem" tomorrow after work...I'm scared,and probably going to throw up,but I'm gonna give it a shot :lol::lol:
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012