Tool

dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
edited November 2013 in Other Music
My buddy is a big Tool fan ( I can take them or leave them) and he didn't get tickets today as they sold out in minutes in Boston and Hartford. I am trying to see a concert in every state and only have Georgia left on the east coast so I checked tickets for the show in Duluth, GA which is a town I never heard of though it seems to be a suburb of Atlanta. I figured I would try to get tickets for that show as I always hear the south is a struggling market as PJ never plays down there. Well that show also sold out in minutes so I guess the people in south also like their concerts. My point is; I hope PJ plays the south because I would rather see Pearl Jam in Georgia than Tool.
Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    If you've seen Tool once, you've seen them a 100 times. The same rehearsed set every night by a band that thinks the world of itself and completely degrades its fans. FUCK TOOL
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited December 2011
    yeah, I saw TOOL and to be honest, It was boring. Great musicians, no dout about it. But, once you have seen them, you have seen them. I'd rather see a band play 25-30 songs, then squeeze 8 songs into a 90 minute set. I also like seeing the singer engage and interact with the audience. Not stand and dance like a puppet on a platform behind or off to the side by the drummer.
    To each their own though, just don't understand the fasination with their shows as much as their fans do. I think I am a bigger fan of A perfect Circle, honestly, would like to see them live.
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • WaveRyder wrote:
    If you've seen Tool once, you've seen them a 100 times. The same rehearsed set every night by a band that thinks the world of itself and completely degrades its fans. FUCK TOOL

Love Tool!
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Tool are soooooooo great
  • Brisk. wrote:
    Tool are soooooooo great

Something about that sound... And that voice... :D
    I once saw Tool twice on one tour. the shows were identical. sames songs, same order, and Maynard just stood in the dark at the back of the stage where no one could see him the whole time.

I also saw them once and they spent 20 minutes just sitting at the front of the stage while people cheered. They werent eating it up. Rather,they just sat their letting the "TOOL"s go crazy to see how long theyd cheer for people doing nothing. It's a funny joke that only the band members really get.
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    WaveRyder wrote:
    I once saw Tool twice on one tour. the shows were identical. sames songs, same order, and Maynard just stood in the dark at the back of the stage where no one could see him the whole time.

I also saw them once and they spent 20 minutes just sitting at the front of the stage while people cheered. They werent eating it up. Rather,they just sat their letting the "TOOL"s go crazy to see how long theyd cheer for people doing nothing. It's a funny joke that only the band members really get.

Yeah it's not about jumping about like a tard..incredible muscians putting on an incredible sound.
    Brisk. wrote:
    WaveRyder wrote:

Yeah it's not about jumping about like a tard..incredible muscians putting on an incredible sound.

right, but you get the same experience listening to Tool CDs that you do at a Tool show.....except shows cost a lot more. and CDs play the same songs everytime you play it. Tool plays the same songs every night of a tour. LAME!!! The exact opposite of why we all love Pearl Jam live so much.
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I like Tool. I have liked them since Undertow came out in 93. Have all their albums. But they are one of those bands that I have to be in a certain mood to listen to them. Very talented and Adam is an amazing artist and grapic designer. The 10,000 days artwork still blows my mind to this day. I am fine with not seeing them live. Definately not a band I could listen to everyday.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • WaveRyder wrote:
    Maynard just stood in the dark at the back of the stage where no one could see him the whole time.

Maynard is an interesting study. He's kind of an ass.
    WaveRyder wrote:
    Maynard just stood in the dark at the back of the stage where no one could see him the whole time.

Not kind of....he is. They have hot girl syndrome but applied to musicians. When you think your better than everyone else - whether its justified or not - you almost always turn into an asshole.
  • WaveRyder wrote:
    WaveRyder wrote:

Not kind of....he is. They have hot girl syndrome but applied to musicians. When you think your better than everyone else - whether its justified or not - you almost always turn into an asshole.

Probably. But I also believe Maynard doesn't really like people. He's kind of a hermit... Or he turned into one. He's different with Puscifer though... Primarily because it's his baby I assume.
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    Four musicians fitting together perfectly... What's not to like?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RelR85j ... ata_player
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• jshin wrote:
    Four musicians fitting together perfectly... What's not to like?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RelR85j ... ata_player

"I hope you choke on this."
    :D

I prefer the groove of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDlC7oG_2W4
  • PJRock75PJRock75 Posts: 868
    Tried for tix today too for Izod in NJ.... Sold out in 1 minute minus some singles
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • PJRock75 wrote:
    Tried for tix today too for Izod in NJ.... Sold out in 1 minute minus some singles

Crazy. They always do.
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I am a moderate fan.. I have seen Tool 3 times.. The best one was at the Fox in Detroit in 2006 I believe ( i suck at dates) small venue for a huge band.. I just watched the drummer all night. That guy is simply amazing. Maybe one of the greatest rock drummers of all time..

But a memorable part of the show was the encore break.. they all just sat on the stage for a couple minutes, then went back to their instruments.. never seen that before and I had a good laugh..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • I am a moderate fan.. I have seen Tool 3 times.. The best one was at the Fox in Detroit in 2006 I believe ( i suck at dates) small venue for a huge band.. I just watched the drummer all night. That guy is simply amazing. Maybe one of the greatest rock drummers of all time..

But a memorable part of the show was the encore break.. they all just sat on the stage for a couple minutes, then went back to their instruments.. never seen that before and I had a good laugh..

Danny Carey is unbelievable.
  • I love Tool! I've seen them a few times. Happy that My friend scored some tix today for Izod show Feb. 1. But we couldn't get anything together :( hope they release some more tix and if we find two tix together we'll sell the ones we got today.

I have to see them again bcs rumor is that they'll do one more album and then prob tour and break up. :?
  • WashMyLove wrote:
    I love Tool! I've seen them a few times. Happy that My friend scored some tix today for Izod show Feb. 1. But we couldn't get anything together :( hope they release some more tix and if we find two tix together we'll sell the ones we got today.

I have to see them again bcs rumor is that they'll do one more album and then prob tour and break up. :?

That's my guess. Maynard seems pretty uninterested in Tool. They'll do another album and tour and I would guess that will be it.
  • TOOL is one my favorite bands, but I can understand it might be boring live. I guess they never will come to scandinavia..
    ~ Enjoy The Struggle
  • TOOL is one my favorite bands, but I can understand it might be boring live. I guess they never will come to scandinavia..

I can think of a few things that would make the show an experience; hardly boring. :thumbup: It worked wonders for A Perfect Circle. :D
  • THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    2/4/12 (Bojangle's Coliseum) Charlotte, NC
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I don't really know what could be boring about a fantastic band, playing kickass music while some of the coolest, most menacing, though provoking music based films are projected onto them and the backdrop, while standing under a sea of lasers.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    I don't really know what could be boring about a fantastic band, playing kickass music while some of the coolest, most menacing, though provoking music based films are projected onto them and the backdrop, while standing under a sea of lasers.

No kidding. Bored is never a feeling I have felt at a Tool show.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    DewieCox wrote:

I absolutely love Tool, but the only time I was bored at a show was when they played Rosetta Stoned. Not only do I hate that "song" but I couldn't hear a word Maynard was saying and apparently a lot of others felt the same way-- most of the people around us sat down.
    DewieCox wrote:

I absolutely love Tool, but the only time I was bored at a show was when they played Rosetta Stoned. Not only do I hate that "song" but I couldn't hear a word Maynard was saying and apparently a lot of others felt the same way-- most of the people around us sat down.

I had to sit for that one too, but only for a second to put my jaw back in place. Maybe the most ridiculous drumming performance I've ever seen. I do see your point about Maynard blending too much into the music with whatever effect he was putting on his voice, but "holy fuckin' shit" I couldn't imagine sitting, even if it was only out of respect for the ridiculous performance coming from the stage.
  • Rosetta Stoned is a damn masterpiece. That was one of the highlights of each of the 3 times I saw them on the last tour. I couldn't sit down for that song even if I wanted to. God damn. Shit the bed.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Rosetta Stoned is a damn masterpiece. That was one of the highlights of each of the 3 times I saw them on the last tour. I couldn't sit down for that song even if I wanted to. God damn. Shit the bed.

"Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)" and into "Rosetta Stoned" is so awesome. I've started listening to 10,000 Days a lot more lately.
    edited December 2011
    Rosetta Stoned is a damn masterpiece. That was one of the highlights of each of the 3 times I saw them on the last tour. I couldn't sit down for that song even if I wanted to. God damn. Shit the bed.

"Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)" and into "Rosetta Stoned" is so awesome. I've started listening to 10,000 Days a lot more lately.

I listened to it a ton when it came out. It hasn't aged quite as well, but I still really like about everything on there. I was having a discussion with a buddy saturday night about it. We agreed that it doesn't stand up to their other albums very well. My opinion may be a bit different if I didn't know how to play so many of the tunes off of Aenima and Lateralus. There's several instances of them rehashing riffs and patterns from those 2 albums on 10k Days. Still really good tunes, but it's always bugged me a bit.

They did pull out all the stops on the 10k Days tours though. From a song selection standpoint 01 and 02 were much better to me, but there are not many shows that can compare to setup they've used since 06.
    Post edited by DewieCox on