Mother Love Bone

enrique_hrenrique_hr Posts: 249
edited November 2011 in The Porch
Been going through a Mother Love Bone phase the whole week. Never get tired of saying what a great band they are.

This is Shangri la

R.I.P. Andrew Wood
Stop throwing the man quarters!

EV 07-6-2011, LA1 11/23/2013, LA2 11/24/2013
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I still have my fingers crossed that one day PJ will cover MLB's Man Of Golden Words. I must admit they weren't really my cup of tea apart from Crown Of Thorns when Singles came out but they are much more appreciated now. I listen to Apple every few months just as a reminder of PJ's roots and likewise with Green River.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • veddertown wrote:
    I still have my fingers crossed that one day PJ will cover MLB's Man Of Golden Words. I must admit they weren't really my cup of tea apart from Crown Of Thorns when Singles came out but they are much more appreciated now. I listen to Apple every few months just as a reminder of PJ's roots and likewise with Green River.

Man of Golden Words would be an awesome cover to do. :D

• MASMAS Posts: 628
    OP,
    I am totally going thru the same thing...Lately I've really been diggin' gentle groove....
  • Its odd because my wife is really into 'real' music actually prefers mlb. I think they woyld have been more instantly accessible had they gone on. But not the longevity
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
    I prefer Ed's voice over the original artist on just about every cover PJ does, except one......
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    veddertown wrote:
    I still have my fingers crossed that one day PJ will cover MLB's Man Of Golden Words.

Cornell does it acoustic and tags it with Comfortably Numb. I'm hoping to hear it again 2 weeks from today :thumbup:
  • MAS wrote:
    I prefer Ed's voice over the original artist on just about every cover PJ does, except one......

Going to keep it a secret? :lol:
    The Scary Monster
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    Heisenberg wrote:
    veddertown wrote:
    I still have my fingers crossed that one day PJ will cover MLB's Man Of Golden Words.

Cornell does it acoustic and tags it with Comfortably Numb. I'm hoping to hear it again 2 weeks from today :thumbup:

Definitely one of the highlights for me. Seeing him on Monday!
  • Heisenberg wrote:
    veddertown wrote:

Cornell does great cover songs. :D I love his cover of Thank You

MAS wrote:

Going to keep it a secret? :lol:

C O T!!!
  • In the PJ20 book, Stone mentions how he wrote "Alive", then called "Dollar Short", while he was in Mother Love Bone, and Andy had his own set of lyrics to the song and performed it once or twice. I would love to hear a bootleg of that version with Andy singing, even though I doubt a bootleg even exists.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • joely_91joely_91 Posts: 795
    thefin190 wrote:
    In the PJ20 book, Stone mentions how he wrote "Alive", then called "Dollar Short", while he was in Mother Love Bone, and Andy had his own set of lyrics to the song and performed it once or twice. I would love to hear a bootleg of that version with Andy singing, even though I doubt a bootleg even exists.

i believe grunge report had a youtube video of this up at one time.... so it may be out there??
  • LamentLament Posts: 294
    enrique_hr wrote:
    Been going through a Mother Love Bone phase the whole week. Never get tired of saying what a great band they are.

This is Shangri la

R.I.P. Andrew Wood

I never get tired about people talking about what a great band they are. I had on my Mother Love Bone shirt yesterday. :-)
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Heisenberg wrote:
    veddertown wrote:

You going to the Cleveland show too??
    We've got a group of 5 going up and doing the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and then heading to Michael Symon's restaurant LOLA for dinner at 5:30..
    You're welcome to join us if you want, PM me if you can make it and I'll add you to our party!!! :ugeek:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Suziemay wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    veddertown wrote:

Definitely one of the highlights for me. Seeing him on Monday!

Hey Su,
    Let me know how the show is!!
    I'm seeing Chris in Cleveland on December 3rd...
    Really hoping he does Man of Golden Words & Seasons!!!
    Should be a GREAT Show :ugeek:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    since we are just asking, I would love PJ to cover MLB... Stardog Champion, Stargazer, Heartshine, Come bite the apple, Capricorn sister, Mindshaker meltdown... it's never gonna happen in Argentina, so I'll be glad to buy the boots...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• joely_91 wrote:
    thefin190 wrote:
    In the PJ20 book, Stone mentions how he wrote "Alive", then called "Dollar Short", while he was in Mother Love Bone, and Andy had his own set of lyrics to the song and performed it once or twice. I would love to hear a bootleg of that version with Andy singing, even though I doubt a bootleg even exists.

i believe grunge report had a youtube video of this up at one time.... so it may be out there??

Wow, I would be really interested in hearing this. I'm really curious as to the lyrics Andy came up with. I'll root around on YouTube, but if anyone knows where it is, I would greatly appreciate it.

I really like MLB. I am not sure they would have lasted as long as PJ has, because Andy seemed to be clinging a bit more to the hair band thing, while PJ looked more to the future, I think, right from the start. But MLB has some great tunes and I listen to them fairly often. CoT is a favorite of mine and it's perhaps more popular than some others...but several others of their songs are great too.
  • PKTrekGirl wrote:
    joely_91 wrote:
    thefin190 wrote:

Wow, I would be really interested in hearing this. I'm really curious as to the lyrics Andy came up with. I'll root around on YouTube, but if anyone knows where it is, I would greatly appreciate it.

I really like MLB. I am not sure they would have lasted as long as PJ has, because Andy seemed to be clinging a bit more to the hair band thing, while PJ looked more to the future, I think, right from the start. But MLB has some great tunes and I listen to them fairly often. CoT is a favorite of mine and it's perhaps more popular than some others...but several others of their songs are great too.

Please do link it here if you manage to find it. I've done my fair share of looking with no luck. I assumed that its lost in the dustbin of Seattle music history, but maybe I'm wrong.

I also agree regarding how MLB probably wouldn't have lasted the way that PJ has. I mean, MLB was good, but I listen to a song like Faithfull and think, could have Mother Love Bone stuck around long enough and transform enough to write art rock albums like Yield or No Code? Probably not, they probably would've suffered a similar fate to Nirvana, with Andy Wood's addiction hanging around. Maybe Pearl Jam would've formed in the mid or late 90's instead with Jeff and Stone? Who knows?

Pearl Jam:

Eddie Vedder Solo:
  • ^ Spent a bit of time on YouTube trying to find it, with no luck. They have the demos (see The Grossman Project) and those are really interesting! Had fun listening to those...but nothing that I could immediately find with Andy's lyrics...which is what i was really hoping for - I'm really keen to find out what sort of direction he'd have taken that song, if he and MLB had survived.

I will definitely post it, if I find it. But I don't think it's there - at least not as a stand-alone. Maybe it's buried in some of the MLB concert footage? Some of that is not really clear as to what's included.

Wow...now I'm really curious as to Andy's lyrics. Did a google search too, just to see if the lyrics are out there in print, even if not on a tape...but didn't find anything right off.

Found this thread from a couple of years ago though.....

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=98146

Doesn't looks like they had much luck either....
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    let me ask everyone who like mlb a question and i want an honest answer..

if you didn't listen to pearl jam, would you actually care about mother love bone?

personally, i can't stand them and i'll never understand why they get any credit. they made one cd (that wasn't good) and then broke up. they're far from original, influential, or memorable. the 80s was FILLED with bands who were actually great (rem, the replacements, pixies, stone roses, the pogues... to name a few) but for some reason people like to throw mlb into this group and i don't think they belong. what does everyone see in them? does anyone else agree with me?
  • let me ask everyone who like mlb a question and i want an honest answer..

if you didn't listen to pearl jam, would you actually care about mother love bone?

personally, i can't stand them and i'll never understand why they get any credit. they made one cd (that wasn't good) and then broke up. they're far from original, influential, or memorable. the 80s was FILLED with bands who were actually great (rem, the replacements, pixies, stone roses, the pogues... to name a few) but for some reason people like to throw mlb into this group and i don't think they belong. what does everyone see in them? does anyone else agree with me?

I probably would agree with you, they remind me a bit of Guns N' Roses, which I'm no fan of.

But they broke up because of Andy's death, not because of any sort of friction in the band. They were closely connected with Soundgarden as well as many of the other emerging Seattle acts. They would've been a big band. Just like Pearl Jam, but rather than shunning the fame, Andy would've basked the fame and done the complete opposite that Eddie/Pearl Jam did. I bet there would've even been a Kurt Cobain/Andy Wood rivalry at the height of the grunge era, since Kurt was no fan of that style of music. Sad how both musicians ended up having a similar fate.

Pearl Jam:

Eddie Vedder Solo:
  • PKTrekGirl wrote:
    ^ Spent a bit of time on YouTube trying to find it, with no luck. They have the demos (see The Grossman Project) and those are really interesting! Had fun listening to those...but nothing that I could immediately find with Andy's lyrics...which is what i was really hoping for - I'm really keen to find out what sort of direction he'd have taken that song, if he and MLB had survived.

I will definitely post it, if I find it. But I don't think it's there - at least not as a stand-alone. Maybe it's buried in some of the MLB concert footage? Some of that is not really clear as to what's included.

Wow...now I'm really curious as to Andy's lyrics. Did a google search too, just to see if the lyrics are out there in print, even if not on a tape...but didn't find anything right off.

Found this thread from a couple of years ago though.....

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=98146

Doesn't looks like they had much luck either....

Very interesting! Not only is there one song, but allegedly, the whole Momma-son trilogy had a different set of lyrics written by Andy. This definitely has to be the Holy Grail of any PJ/MLB fan out there. I wish you luck on your quest to find this! I doubt this would ever see the light of day until Jeff Ament or one of the other MLB band members uploads it onto the internet for shiggles.

It is kind of interesting to think how Stone had written those songs when Andy was around. You've got to wonder if MLB would've evolved to a Pearl Jam like band due to Stone and Jeff's presence.

Pearl Jam:

Eddie Vedder Solo:
  • LamentLament Posts: 294

The only reason Pearl Jam had a record deal was because of Mother Love Bone. It's not like MLB was just some group of chumps. If it weren't for MLB nobody would have given a fuck about Stone and Jeff's "new band" and they certainly wouldn't have had an album out on Sony less than twelve months after their first rehearsal. It's not like anybody was chomping at the bait to see what that dude from Bad Radio or the guy from Shadow was gonna do next.
  • let me ask everyone who like mlb a question and i want an honest answer..

Before I became an actual fan of Pearl Jam I had already been listening to Mother Love Bone. I mean I knew the popular PJ songs from Ten but not much about the band. What really drew me to MLB was Stone's guitar playing. I just thought the guitar playing was amazing (Same with Green River). So when I found out that Stone (and Jeff) were in Pearl Jam i was stoked. I mean MLB was great but they never achieved the versatility and power of Pearl Jam. I remember finding a beat up cassette tape of Vs. in a thrift store. I remember hearing Indifference for the first time time and also when I heard Black for the first time I got chills. I immediately bought Ten and listened to Ten and Vs. every day. The brilliance of Pearl Jam goes beyond the arena rock label that many people gave them. :D
    hahah A bit of a ramble but lots of memories came back to me. :D

• Interesting discussion, thefin190, about how MLB might have differed from or been similar to PJ! Here's my opinion, for what it's worth.

From the demos, it's clear that Stone's music wasn't changed all that much once Eddie entered the scene and they became Pearl Jam. But I do think the lyrics that Andy would have written would have been a lot different than the ones Eddie wrote...and would have been about entirely different subject matter, probably. Andy wanted to be a Rock Star a lot more than Eddie ever did (vast understatement, I know :lol: ) and his MLB lyrics were not all that different from the kinds of lyrics the arena hair bands were writing at the time. I'm thinking particularly of...say....Holy Roller and songs like that. Holy Roller is NOT a song Eddie Vedder would have written. :lol:

These two guys could not have had more different motives for writing music. I have always gotten the very strong feeling that Eddie writes more from his own heart, thoughts and experiences than Andy ever did. I have always gotten the impression that Eddie writes about what he's been thinking about in real life. Whereas Andy wrote songs that he thought would make him a rock star.

Because of that, I am not at all certain that MLB would have evolved into a band like PJ. I think that MLB, had they survived, would have ultimately attracted a different audience in the long run - much more of a Van Halen/Guns n Roses kind of audience...singing about fast cars and hot women. Which is not even close to the direction the band has gone with Eddie writing many of the lyrics in the early years. I think Ed sort of set them on a course, lyrically, that has served them ALL well, in the end. One of PJ's finest attributes, IMO - one of the main reasons they have kept their fan base over the years - is because they write songs that mean something to people. Songs that require some thought and real feeling. Not simply songs about the rock & roll lifestyle and other somewhat shallow topics that were the staples of the late 80's hair bands.

Just my perception...but I just don't think MLB would have been the same band as PJ...even with Stone's music.

What do you think?
  • Lament wrote:
    The only reason Pearl Jam had a record deal was because of Mother Love Bone. It's not like MLB was just some group of chumps. If it weren't for MLB nobody would have given a fuck about Stone and Jeff's "new band" and they certainly wouldn't have had an album out on Sony less than twelve months after their first rehearsal. It's not like anybody was chomping at the bait to see what that dude from Bad Radio or the guy from Shadow was gonna do next.

This is an excellent point. And you are right - MLB gave Pearl Jam a very good head start on becoming known.

Athough they might have made it anyway, once Nirvana hit the commercial jackpot with Nevermind. After that, the record companies where all about anything Seattle for a while there....and they might have been 'discovered' anyway....

Hard to say. But MLB certainly gave them a strong start on finding a fan base and on developing some creative credibility.
  • My two cents is that mlb woyld have made maybe 3 albums. Then andy would have gone out on his own with the whole love thing. Real freddie mercury stuff. Stone and jeff would have carried on in their side bands but only reaching the status of say new york dolls or meat puppets.
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
  • PKTrekGirl wrote:
    Interesting discussion, thefin190, about how MLB might have differed from or been similar to PJ! Here's my opinion, for what it's worth.

From the demos, it's clear that Stone's music wasn't changed all that much once Eddie entered the scene and they became Pearl Jam. But I do think the lyrics that Andy would have written would have been a lot different than the ones Eddie wrote...and would have been about entirely different subject matter, probably. Andy wanted to be a Rock Star a lot more than Eddie ever did (vast understatement, I know :lol: ) and his MLB lyrics were not all that different from the kinds of lyrics the arena hair bands were writing at the time. I'm thinking particularly of...say....Holy Roller and songs like that. Holy Roller is NOT a song Eddie Vedder would have written. :lol:

These two guys could not have had more different motives for writing music. I have always gotten the very strong feeling that Eddie writes more from his own heart, thoughts and experiences than Andy ever did. I have always gotten the impression that Eddie writes about what he's been thinking about in real life. Whereas Andy wrote songs that he thought would make him a rock star.

Because of that, I am not at all certain that MLB would have evolved into a band like PJ. I think that MLB, had they survived, would have ultimately attracted a different audience in the long run - much more of a Van Halen/Guns n Roses kind of audience...singing about fast cars and hot women. Which is not even close to the direction the band has gone with Eddie writing many of the lyrics in the early years. I think Ed sort of set them on a course, lyrically, that has served them ALL well, in the end. One of PJ's finest attributes, IMO - one of the main reasons they have kept their fan base over the years - is because they write songs that mean something to people. Songs that require some thought and real feeling. Not simply songs about the rock & roll lifestyle and other somewhat shallow topics that were the staples of the late 80's hair bands.

Just my perception...but I just don't think MLB would have been the same band as PJ...even with Stone's music.

What do you think?

I agree, with what you said. The MLB style definitely has more of a Van Halen/Guns N' Roses meet early Soundgarden sound. Its really hard to say what direction MLB would've gone in, but its weird to fathom the idea of Stone's music being paired with a different set of lyrics, since we're used to hearing such deep subject matter from Eddie (or Chris Cornell in Temple of the Dog). I bet that Jeff and Stone would've grown a distaste for the rock & roll lifestyle that Andy lived for, and the band wouldn't have made it that long.

You have to acknowledge the irony that is in Andy's deep desire to get famous and play big arenas, only to kill himself (with a drug overdose) right at the cusp of fame and stardom, while Eddie had it thrusted upon him, only to shun it. I think Eddie knew, since he said in the book/movie how every stadium they played at, he would think about how much Andy would've love to played that room.

Pearl Jam:

Eddie Vedder Solo:
  • javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136

I see your point, but this subjet cannot be generalized, this is my very own opinion...

hadn't I listened to pearl jam, I wouldn't have cared about mlb, that's for sure, I live in Argentina, luckily Pearl Jam hit the airwaves in the 90's here, thanks to Nirvana of course, so a seattle band, who was about glam rock, whose lead singer died, wouldn't stand a chance here if two of its members weren't PJ members, evenmore with the Nirvana/Guns N Roses frenzy of the time, Argentinians are as passionate as they are particular about music, essays should be written about that, but when it comes to grunge music, it was completely disregarded, most people into rock like Nirvana, who is considered grunge, but very few like (love) PJ; AIC or Soundgarden for that matter in fact, so if you ask about Green River, U-Men, Screaming Trees, Mudhoney, and so on, grunge per se, that would be a completely different story, an uknown story, completely twilight zone...

The thing goes like these, the year is 2011, I went to see the movie in Buenos Aires five times, the last one I went with some friends, one asked me if I had the Temple of the Dog CD, because she recently downloaded it, and I added that I had the MLB double CD, and she told me that she overheard about MLB but couldn't figure out what it was exactly... to round it up, on the five occasions, many of the people who came out of the theatre after the PJ20 movie asked each other what the fuck is MLB? have you heard MLB? have you ever heard ABOUT Mother Love Bone?

No, hadn't it been for PJ, MLB would have passed unnoticed...

Regarding the second part of your question, I love their music, I love their songs, I had the double cd album, the one with lady godiva, and bought apple just for the sake of it, it is in fact a good album, not a master piece, a work of art per se, but a good album, at least IMO, were they original? yes and no, they hadn't invented anything, but they were different from their peers... were they influential? Chris Cornell and Cameron Crowe would disagree with you on this matter... were they memorable? I don't know, I wasn't there, Malfunkshun: The story of Andy Wood, what is that? I believed is much more than nostalgia, 1/4 of the movie about one of the greatest rock bands in the history of music is about Mother Love Bone... it is 2011 and we still talk about MLB, even Eddie Vedder talks emotively about a guy he had never met, there must be something memorable about MLB, at least a little...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...