I miss old Coldplay

Comments

• I meant indie sound.[/quote]

i agree with you. Indie sounding, is hard as hell to explain. Whats indie sounding, but i know it when i hear it, as ive been obssessed with indie since 2006. Nowadays in 2011, when the term indie is used, its almost always either related to the scene itself, hipsters, or related to this sound, that obviously is all encompassing and diverse as Animal Collective to James Blake, to Bon Iver
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    old coldplay= oldplay

rimshot.gif i'm here all night
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head were great and their best; but it was time to move on, how much whining can a band do? Viva La Vida was a breath of fresh air. Lost and 42 were killer tracks, I love that they experiment with new instruments and sounds. Yellow was probably one of their worst songs but I know it's everyone's favorite, that's why I initially hated them, it was so tacky when you think about it.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719

coldplay was included on garden state soundtrack and last kiss soundtrack, with the garden state soundtrack being one of the defining albums of what was indie in the first 10 years of the decade.

i would say they are indie as they are covered on stereotypically indie blogs like stereogum and pitchfork, and because of the overt arcade fire influence on Viva la Vida. lets not forget it was chris martin who was about the biggest champion of arcade fire as anyone was, proclaiming them "the greatest band in history". Coldplay headlined the indie festival that is Coachella.

In the same way that Spoon, Modest Mouse, Iron and Wine, Death Cab and the like will always be considered indie, reguardless of the fact they are all on major labels.

i consider myself a hipster, and maybe its not typical of hipsters to like Coldplay, but i consider Coldplay indie leaning at least.

I also think Coldplays sound influenced alot of bands that became huge indie bands, Snow Patrol was obviously influenced by them, Keane, Plus Coldplays influence lean indie, REM, Radiohead. While both were on major labels, both are bands embraced by the hipster scene

I get where you are coming from, but most people use the term "indie" incorrectly. Stereogum and Pitchfork cover almost any alternative rock or hip hop act that is in existence. They do not solely focus in indie. Paul McCartney headlined Coachella- he is not indie. Influencing bands that currently are not signed to a major record label does not make you indie. And supporting Arcade Fire, probably the biggest indie band in the world, does not make you indie.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • MSnider44MSnider44 San Diego Posts: 746
    Hey all, let's be sure to stick on topic....no "indie / not indie" talk.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Agreed that first two albums were some of the best of the decade. Both were great yet different. But since... I think I've liked two songs. I agree change is good, but they went too pop, or electronic, or lame or whatever you want to call it.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Chris was on Howard Stern this morning. Great interview.

He played Clocks on his piano and I got chills. One of the best songs of the 2000's.

It was once again as you point out, a great interview. Chris is someone that's walked out of interviews before but seemed to really enjoy talking to Howard. He's an artistic guy that stood his ground and Howard seemed to get more out of him than most.

It gave me reason to believe that someday Eddie could walk in studio 69 as well. :D
  • I understand what people are saying here and I agree somewhat.

Of course, Parachutes and A Rush of Blood To The Head are great albums, I think most can agree on that.

However, I think both X&Y and Viva La Vida both get a lot of shit that is undeserved. If you really absorb and listen to X&Y, there is some great stuff on there. Maybe not as good as the first two, but definitely not bad by any means.

Same with Viva La Vida although it may not hold up as well. But still, there is some great stuff on there....Cemeteries of London, Lost, Strawberry Swing.

As for the new one, I agree it is mostly shit and the worst Coldplay album to date, in my opinion. I like Major Minus a lot and maybe 2-3 other songs but besides that, it pretty much sucks. Nowhere near what they're capable of.

So in conclusion, I guess technically if you really wanna analyze it the quality of their albums has decreased after the first two but they are all quality albums with the exception of Mylo Xyloto. And I guess you could argue the same for Viva La Vida but I like it just enough to consider it quality...this probably has something to do with the fact that there are only 10 songs on it.
    I changed my mind, the new record is good, better than X & Y in my opinion, that record was too commercial in my opinion. And I found a new respect for Yellow after hearing him explain how he wrote it on Stern. I use to hate that song too mainly because it was so over played. He said he had Neil Young in mind when he wrote it; so makes it cooler. Maybe Parachutes is now the perfect record even with Yellow.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Yup i'm a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fan.

All their albums have just gone down hill starting with Parachutes. Parachutes, Rush of blood and X & Y are all great thought with Parachutes being the ultimate and Rush of Blood next. Viva La Vida isn't too bad but ya this piece of shit is shit!
    I did not like their SNL performances this past Saturday night.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    MSnider44 wrote:
    I did not like their SNL performances this past Saturday night.

Yeah, not only was the music lame but their set/background was like some glow in the dark 80's club nightmare, and Chris was wearing a hot pink t-shirt. It was strange.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Chris was on Howard Stern this morning. Great interview.
    Yeah, caught up on that this weekend. I got the new album and its not as bad as I thought it was gonna be. I've never been a Coldplay fan, and Parachutes is the only album I thought was worth anything, but this new album has some catchy ass tunes. Guilty pleasure for me.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Major Minus is a great tune.
  • I miss old Coldplay, too. :(

Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head are two of my favourites from the 2000s.

X&Y was such a huge letdown. There are a few songs that I like, but overall, it's pretty bad. I tried very hard to like it and now it just makes me cringe. I haven't given any of Coldplay's more recent music much of a listen.

It's nice to throw on either of those first two albums, though. They were so good!
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Love Parachutes - great debut album. Nobody mentioned Spies, which may be my favorite song by them.

Rush of Blood, as others said, is one of the top albums of the 00's. A Whisper is really amazing, another one nobody mentioned.

I think X&Y was a fairly solid effort, except the two big singles (Speed of Sound & Fix You) both sucked. Rest of the album is pretty good. People probably shit on this album because of said big singles, I'm guessing. But in my view, the same as two good songs don't make a good album, two bad songs don't make a bad album.

Viva La Vida annoys me - it's got a few decent songs, but yeah, they all sound like they were stolen from somebody and they don't sound all that inspired. Don't know what it is about this album, but it just seems to lack passion.

I don't have the new album - the Paradise song makes me want to stab my eardrums. The "other" guys in this band are really good musicians (listen to the solos on the Live 2003 CD/DVD 8-) ), so it bothers me that they are all synth'ed. Use the talent that you have. Of course this gets back to the whole Radiohead computer music thing, which I don't feel like arguing about any more.

I don't understand how Coldplay could possibly be considered an indie band, but whatever. Some people seem to know better than me what that means. :?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Their first two albums really are amazing. Glad this thread made me get into them. God put a smile on your face and I believe "warning sign" are my two favs. I could have it wrong with the 2nd one. It's another dark song similar to god put a smile.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • I think X&Y was a fairly solid effort, except the two big singles (Speed of Sound & Fix You) both sucked. Rest of the album is pretty good. People probably shit on this album because of said big singles, I'm guessing. But in my view, the same as two good songs don't make a good album, two bad songs don't make a bad album.

The "other" guys in this band are really good musicians (listen to the solos on the Live 2003 CD/DVD 8-) ), so it bothers me that they are all synth'ed. Use the talent that you have. Of course this gets back to the whole Radiohead computer music thing, which I don't feel like arguing about any more.

Personally, I think more than Speed of Sound and Fix You sucked, unfortunately. Offhand, I think I really only liked Kingdom Come, Swallowed in the Sea, and What If. After Coldplay's first two efforts, X&Y was a HUGE disappointment.

I can totally appreciate a band wanting to grow musically and try new things, but I just don't like Coldplay's new sound. I hate the synth'ed out sound, as well. It's the same as some of the recent Strokes and Julian Casablancas' solo stuff. Can't we please leave the synths in the '80s where they belong?
  • Their first two albums really are amazing. Glad this thread made me get into them. God put a smile on your face and I believe "warning sign" are my two favs. I could have it wrong with the 2nd one. It's another dark song similar to god put a smile.

God Put a Smile on your Face is great! And I absolutely LOVE Warning Sign. It may be my favourite Coldplay song. Amsterdam and Green Eyes are a couple other good tracks from A Rush of Blood that rarely get mentioned.
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Viva La Vida was such a great album! Then they said they were going more acoustic which sounds good and then ends up being crap... :roll:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    I think X&Y was a fairly solid effort, except the two big singles (Speed of Sound & Fix You) both sucked. Rest of the album is pretty good. People probably shit on this album because of said big singles, I'm guessing. But in my view, the same as two good songs don't make a good album, two bad songs don't make a bad album.

The "other" guys in this band are really good musicians (listen to the solos on the Live 2003 CD/DVD 8-) ), so it bothers me that they are all synth'ed. Use the talent that you have. Of course this gets back to the whole Radiohead computer music thing, which I don't feel like arguing about any more.

Personally, I think more than Speed of Sound and Fix You sucked, unfortunately. Offhand, I think I really only liked Kingdom Come, Swallowed in the Sea, and What If. After Coldplay's first two efforts, X&Y was a HUGE disappointment.

I can totally appreciate a band wanting to grow musically and try new things, but I just don't like Coldplay's new sound. I hate the synth'ed out sound, as well. It's the same as some of the recent Strokes and Julian Casablancas' solo stuff. Can't we please leave the synths in the '80s where they belong?

Well I don't think it measures up to their first 2 albums, but I thought it was pretty good. Not great. I can see why people might not like it though.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Their first two albums really are amazing. Glad this thread made me get into them. God put a smile on your face and I believe "warning sign" are my two favs. I could have it wrong with the 2nd one. It's another dark song similar to god put a smile.

God Put a Smile on your Face is great! And I absolutely LOVE Warning Sign. It may be my favourite Coldplay song. Amsterdam and Green Eyes are a couple other good tracks from A Rush of Blood that rarely get mentioned.

ahh it wasn't warning sign (still a good song) It was Daylight. That song is just flat out dark and I love it. A Whisper is probably my third fav.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Coldplay lost a big drinking bet to me back in 2005 and they owe me quite a bit of money. I'm a bit miffed, to say the least.
    I've been listening to the new album more the past week and it has really grown on me. I kinda like that it's not as moaning and whiny as Parachutes, which was great at the time, but am glad they moved on.

The Rhiana duet is the worst song as it reminds me of that trashy dance music. They should have had a duet with Adele if anybody. I think it reminds me of Rush of Blood which when I think about it more is probably their best.
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 990
    Like i miss a hole in the head.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    me too.

the kinda lost me with x&y, and everything from there on.
    still really like a rush of blood to the head, but I haven't listened to it in ages.