Beck

DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
edited May 2013 in Other Music
just getting into his stuff...really fucking cool.

favorite albums anyone? so far odelay is the only one i've heard fully through
2006: Hartford
2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
2011: Ed Solo Hartford
2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KM43590KM43590 Posts: 298
    Odelay is one of his best. Midnight Vultures, Sea Change and Guero are all really good. Basically, anything after 1994's Mellow Gold, you can't go wrong in my opinion! See him live and you won't be disappointed!
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Midnight Vultures is the absolute dogs bollocks

Sea Changes is beautiful

Mellow Gold is out there

Stereopathetic Soul Manure is awful

One Foot In The Grave is folk

Odelay is joyous

... I could go on as each of his albums has it's own treasure and trash in it.But the guy is a musical genius in my mind ...

Steals from everyone ... but makes its sound like his own

and live he is in a different realm :D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • I used to be a really big fan of Mellow Gold and Odelay but I never really kept up with him after that. I might have to get some of his "newer" stuff.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    Sea Change is one of the best albums I ever heard. It took a few listens to fully "click" for me.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • The only one I don't like is Stereopathetic Soul Manure.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    What is going on with Beck these days??? He hasn't put out anything new for awhile. The guy is crazy good and it's been too long>....favorite albums Mutations, Odelay, Modern Guilt and The Information. None of em sound alike. Need something new!!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    one word:

MUTATIONS

you can thank me later, Save you 7" would be much appreciated :P ...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• he's one of those guys you gotta respect for his experimentation. he makes albums for himself and his creative muses, not to fit into any trend. thats both admirable and infuriating for fans who like one particular style or period of his work, and then he moves onto a new thing and sound.

sea change i view as his masterpiece. its brutal and beautiful. Golden Age, Lost Cause, Guess Im Doing Fine. Brilliant songs and among the best hes ever written. But as I said, that was 2002, and he doesnt have any other albums similar, nor will he likely ever.

he moves on and experiments with so many different genres. midnight vultures is dance music and sounds like prince or something. Mutations is all over the map genre wise.
  • What is going on with Beck these days??? He hasn't put out anything new for awhile. The guy is crazy good and it's been too long>....favorite albums Mutations, Odelay, Modern Guilt and The Information. None of em sound alike. Need something new!!

he's been doing the Record club thing for several years now, recording covers of entire albums in one day, releasing them on the internet. but yeah no original all original studio album in what 4 years now? seems to tour all the time though.
  • loser may be the song he's known for on his gravestone, and that could be a good or bad thing. but do you all remember that song when it actually happened? i remember it. Such a strange time period.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    What is going on with Beck these days??? He hasn't put out anything new for awhile. The guy is crazy good and it's been too long>....favorite albums Mutations, Odelay, Modern Guilt and The Information. None of em sound alike. Need something new!!

If you haven't already, you might want to look into Charlotte Gainsbourg. She's essentially his new muse and he's on both of her recent albums as a collaborator and producer.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I think his "Modern Guilt" record is good.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Sea Change is one of the best albums I ever heard. It took a few listens to fully "click" for me.

Agreed. But once it "clicked"...damn. Love it!
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158

he's been doing the Record club thing for several years now, recording covers of entire albums in one day, releasing them on the internet. but yeah no original all original studio album in what 4 years now? seems to tour all the time though.

Yeah I've been meaning to check out his cover of The Velvet Underground & Nico - thanks for the reminder.
    Heisenberg wrote:

If you haven't already, you might want to look into Charlotte Gainsbourg. She's essentially his new muse and he's on both of her recent albums as a collaborator and producer.

Cool thanks, will do.
  • kwdaleykwdaley Posts: 499
    Saw him back in 2005 when he opened for the Rolling Stones in Toronto. Him and his band were friggin' insane. Opened with Loser, Where It's At and Devil's Haircut (kind of let's get the hits out of the way and see where we can take this show). Great show, too bad it was at the SkyDome in front of half-empty house.
    Ottawa 2011
    London 2013 "The Dundas Hookers on Crack" Show
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    He has a new single out "Looking For A Sign" It's for a film called "Jeff" :thumbup:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79brjjsdrsc
    http://itunes.apple.com/album/looking-f ... d512216177
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,741

Once he fulfilled his contract he retired from touring, just preforms when he wants to now. He's focused on being a producer now and spending more time with his family.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    one word:

MUTATIONS

you can thank me later, Save you 7" would be much appreciated :P ...

FOR SURE.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    loser may be the song he's known for on his gravestone, and that could be a good or bad thing. but do you all remember that song when it actually happened? i remember it. Such a strange time period.

i remember my buddy body surfing to it at metro chicago in 1994 loosing his shoe..he had one shoe on the rest of the show.. :lol::lol:
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • CobCob Posts: 857

Once he fulfilled his contract he retired from touring, just preforms when he wants to now. He's focused on being a producer now and spending more time with his family.

And being a Scientologists! :cry:
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    Ya, what's he doing? Is he retired from music? Anyone who retires from music in their 40's I think maybe didn't have a passion for it in the first place. You can really control your fate and how you do a lot if you're successful--seems like his heart isn't in it anymore.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    yes, Mutations is the best Beck record ever. an all time top five for me

but guys, Beck hasn't retired from music at all. He's certainly more prolific than Pearl Jam.

If you're not familiar with his record club you should certainly check it out. A collection of cover albums available for free download on his website.
    all of these were created over the course of 09-11 along with bands including Wilco, MGMT, Fields, Devendra Banhart, Little Joy, Os Mutantes, Liars, St. Vincent, Tortoise and Thurston Moore. 5 cover albums and an acoustic version of the Modern Guilt album

see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_Club -
    theres a link for the free downloads here but let me know if you can't find them.

He is also now in the studio with the same band he recorded Odelay, Mutations, Sea Change, and Midnight Vultures with (JMM, Joey Waronker, Nigel Godrich, Smokey Hormel, etc.)

The only thing he has pulled back from is touring and "releasing" proper albums (it's speculated hes got about ten in the can). He has just said that he doesn't love playing live. He is a pretty quiet guy with kids, but the dude breathes music.

last, i get to see him in May at the Santa Barbara bowl. With that band!! :shock:
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171

but guys, Beck hasn't retired from music at all. He's certainly more prolific than Pearl Jam.

If you're not familiar with his record club you should certainly check it out. A collection of cover albums available for free download on his website.
    all of these were created over the course of 09-11 along with bands including Wilco, MGMT, Fields, Devendra Banhart, Little Joy, Os Mutantes, Liars, St. Vincent, Tortoise and Thurston Moore. 5 cover albums and an acoustic version of the Modern Guilt album

theres a link for the free downloads here but let me know if you can't find them.

He is also now in the studio with the same band he recorded Odelay, Mutations, Sea Change, and Midnight Vultures with (JMM, Joey Waronker, Nigel Godrich, Smokey Hormel, etc.)

The only thing he has pulled back from is touring and "releasing" proper albums (it's speculated hes got about ten in the can). He has just said that he doesn't love playing live. He is a pretty quiet guy with kids, but the dude breathes music.

last, i get to see him in May at the Santa Barbara bowl. With that band!! :shock:
    I can find everything but the acoustic Modern Guilt...and that sounds really sweet.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • evenflow82 wrote:
    Ya, what's he doing? Is he retired from music? Anyone who retires from music in their 40's I think maybe didn't have a passion for it in the first place. You can really control your fate and how you do a lot if you're successful--seems like his heart isn't in it anymore.

gotta disagree. his dischography is insane. maybe he burnt himself out. we all know mellow gold from 1994, but few people know he released 2 OTHER albums that same year. He has quite a healthy back catalogue. Its not like he's retired from music. He's playing a gig in Portland in may. Its only been 4 years since Modern Guilt. He;s been doing the Record Club thing in between. He;s done work on several soundtracks-Twilight and Scott Pilgram. Hes working with dwight Yoakum on his new album. he worked with Charlotte gainsborough in 2009, where I believe he wrote all the music and lyrics and she sang the songs. produced malkmus's newest album as well as thurston moores, and I remember seeing Tobacco live, a bizaare experimental dj hip hop guy and Beck collaborated with him on a few songs.

its been awhile since Modern Guilt, but to say he doesnt do anything or hasnt done anything, or has lost passion for music is way off target.

Ultimately, i dont think he rushes things. He works when he feels like working. Well he's working all the time, but he seems to only release his own albums when he wants to.
  • yes, Mutations is the best Beck record ever. an all time top five for me

i agree. 2008 isnt too long ago. Backspacer was 2009, so by that logic PJ has retired from music....
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465

i agree. 2008 isnt too long ago. Backspacer was 2009, so by that logic PJ has retired from music....

...and Tool is dead. 2006! C'mon man!
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Well, his sets at the 25th Anniversay Bridge School Benefits last year were spectacular! I only tangentially knew him from Loser and Two Turn Tables -- he said it was the first time he'd had the whole band that recorded Sea Change together for like 10 years, and proceeded to play a lot of that album I gather -- acoustic like. Fanf'ntastic!

And yeah, his wife was prominient side stage and both days his little girls came out on stage just wandering around. Sunday they at least gave 'em a tambourine.... He made some mention of how well Neil and Peggy run the whole musician work/life balance, a model he'd like to emulate....

With the powerhouse that was that 25th Anniversary Lineup -- I find myself listening to Beck's set the most, just low key folk greatness! And he did that duet with Eddie as well ... Sleepless nights.

I put Sea Change on my xmas list, but the wife got me Mumford instead. Oh wells.... On Sunday, they did acoustic Two Turntables, pandering to the crowd I'd gather, but I liked Saturday's set better....
    [sic] happens
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    acutejam wrote:
    Well, his sets at the 25th Anniversay Bridge School Benefits last year were spectacular! I only tangentially knew him from Loser and Two Turn Tables -- he said it was the first time he'd had the whole band that recorded Sea Change together for like 10 years, and proceeded to play a lot of that album I gather -- acoustic like. Fanf'ntastic!
    With the powerhouse that was that 25th Anniversary Lineup -- I find myself listening to Beck's set the most, just low key folk greatness! And he did that duet with Eddie as well ... Sleepless nights.

I put Sea Change on my xmas list, but the wife got me Mumford instead. Oh wells.... On Sunday, they did acoustic Two Turntables, pandering to the crowd I'd gather, but I liked Saturday's set better....

you should get Mutations immediatly if that's style you like. Couple of the bridge songs were from that album. You can buy the used CD on amazon for under $2 now.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”