***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    They said No Line... was going to be experimental...wasn't as experimental as they said it would.

Also, there's no way of topping 360. I think they'll go back to arenas. I liked the set ups for the arena version of Zoo TV and Elevation.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    Depending on how long they wait, and how well the next record sells, they may have to do arenas, at least in the US, Europe they'll still be able to sell stadia.

I prefer arenas, though the two 360 shows I hit I did get right along the runway thanks to the Red Zone auctions.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Newch91 wrote:
    50/50 chance of new stuff next year.

http://www.atu2.com/news/edge-5050-chan ... -2012.html
    Does anyone else think a new issue of Rolling Stone with U2 on the cover is coming soon because of this, for the Achtung Baby 20th anniversary?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    50/50 chance of new stuff next year.

http://www.atu2.com/news/edge-5050-chan ... -2012.html
    Does anyone else think a new issue of Rolling Stone with U2 on the cover is coming soon because of this, for the Achtung Baby 20th anniversary?

I do, I do!
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wee ... 62022.html
    'If we don't come up with a good reason to make a new album, we should just f*** off'

‘Achtung Baby’ was the making of U2. As the album is rereleased after 20 years, alongside a film about the band, Bono and
    Edge recall the turmoil that surrounded the recording and talk about their future

IT’S WHEN THREE glasses are raised to toast “12-step programmes” that you realise perhaps one too many cocktails has been taken. It’s a bar in Toronto and the caipirinhas were Bono’s idea, with Edge not slow to get his round in. “If we don’t come up with a very good reason to make a new album, we should just f*** off,” says Bono. “Why does anyone need a new U2 album?”
    For the first time in their 35-year career the notoriously “faster, stronger, higher” band have put the brakes on and taken a long look in the rear-view mirror. A new film about the band, From the Sky Down , documents how their huge success in the 1980s provoked a bout of self-loathing and almost broke up the band as they struggled to stay true to their vision of a band forged in the white heat of Dublin’s punk/new wave movement.

To mark the 20th-anniversary rerelease of their key Achtung Baby album, U2 had a rush of blood to the head. They decided to open their archives and cede editorial control to the Oscar-winning director Davis Guggenheim to make a film ostensibly about the troubled gestation period of Achtung Baby . The result was something very different.

“Watching From the Sky Down the first time made for painful viewing. I hated it,” says Bono. “U2 never look back. It’s never been what this band is about. Edge will tell you that when we put together our best-of collections he forced me – actually had to physically force me – to listen to them before they went out. I’ve never been interested in what we have done. I’m interested only in what we’re about to do. But I think there comes a time when it actually becomes dysfunctional not to look into the past, and for the Achtung Baby album we made an exception.

“The film is not about us per se. It’s about how bands function – or, in this case, don’t function. But when I saw it first I just saw these four people talking intensely about their music, and, really, does the world need that at this time? Davis didn’t tell us he was going into our past to put a context on what really happened to the band after the success of The Joshua Tree and how bad things were in Berlin when we started to make Achtung Baby . He didn’t tell us because we wouldn’t have agreed. Now that I’ve seen it a few times I realise it is actually about the creative process. Let’s face it, the era of rock music is going to end soon, and if you are interested in rock music and rock bands you’ll be interested in their internal dynamics: what makes a rock band tick, the tribal aspect, the idea of the clan. The irony for me now is that we made Achtung Baby to set fire to our earnestness and now here’s this very earnest film about the making of the album.

“We held back nothing from Davis. We opened up our archives to him and he really had carte blanche. The first time I saw it I was going, ‘Oh no, no, no,’ and I went to him and made a few suggestions as to the changes I wanted. There was no battle of wills. He just didn’t even get into a discussion with me. He didn’t change anything. But I was looking at it, going, ‘Why is this film talking about Cedarwood Road [where he grew up], the Baggot Inn and my grandmother? I thought we were making a film about the Achtung Baby album. What is going on here?’ ”

What is going on in the film is a look at how a band who shared musical DNA with Throbbing Gristle and Cabaret Voltaire ended up sitting at music’s high table alongside Elton John and Dire Straits – but without the AOR table manners. A generation before Nirvana dragged alt-rock into the musical and media mainstream, this punk-theatric band ended up on the cover of Time magazine, in April 1987, as “Rock’s Hottest Ticket” and selling out arenas around the world.

Disgusted with the idea of being rock idols and disillusioned by their stadium-rock billing, they were at breaking point. “We were carrying Catholic guilt around – the sin of success,” says Bono. “We had emerged from playing with The [Virgin] Prunes and hanging around the Project Arts Centre getting mime lessons from Mannix Flynn. And the context here is that the musical scene we came from had this very Maoist music press. There were certain canon laws: thou shalt not go platinum; thou shalt not play in a stadium or an arena; thou shalt not go to America; thou shalt not be careerist. If you even thought about those things you had committed a sin.”

DESPERATE NOT TO turn into a cigarette-lighter-in-the-air stadium-rock band, U2 boarded the last flight to East Berlin just before Germany reunified, in 1990. It was one of the harshest Berlin winters, their recording studio, Hansa, was a former SS ballroom, their hotel was rubbish and they had no songs. “On a scale of one to 10 we were at a nine for breaking up,” says Bono.

For Edge, U2 were over the moment they walked into Hansa – or, at least, Rattle and Hum U2 were over. “It would have been insanity for us to have stayed in Rattle and Hum mode; that was a wonderful, great little aside, but it was never who we really were,” says the guitarist. “Who we really are is all about the future and innovation. We were getting a bit purist and a bit ‘disciplist’ about roots music, but we needed to become disciples of what is coming next. I arrived in Berlin with drum machines and loops, telling everyone what was happening in Manchester,” he says, referring to the Hacienda nightclub and to The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays, among other bands. “I was also big into industrial music, but the producer of the album, Danny Lanois, was going, ‘Okay, this all sounds interesting, but show us where it’s going musically.’ And I couldn’t.”

Things deteriorated rapidly. As Bono has it, while outside they were tearing down the Berlin Wall, U2 were building their own wall inside Hansa. On one side were the so-called traditionalists: Adam, Larry and Lanois; on the other, Bono and Edge were throwing club- culture and dance-rhythm shapes. Bono had always felt aggrieved that whenever a club DJ would play a U2 song, it would empty the dance floor. He wanted to make U2’s music sexy.

“To Danny Lanois, from his perspective, we were kindred spirits to his love of roots music,” says Edge. “He loved the organic feel to our music, the material that was on The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree . But no one knew how to make the bits of new material we had into U2 songs. The first two weeks were a nightmare. Everything we tried would just nosedive. It got to the stage where we lost trust in each other . . . and there was a clear dilemma.

“There were options: one was to see whether U2 could absorb new material and make it their own, or whether U2 as a band were inflexible and couldn’t stretch. The other option was to throw out all the material, start again and . . . extend the line-up or bring in other musicians.”

With the band having to take some very hard decisions about continuing to flail around in the studio or just cancelling everything, a deus ex machina arrived in the shape of the discarded second bridge from a song called Sick Puppy (later renamed Mysterious Ways ). That bridge was shaped into the intro for a new song, One . “As soon as One came into that room it stabilised everything,” says Bono. “Everyone just sort of surrendered after we had that. By surrendering, we got over the hump.”

With a song to anchor the album, they returned to Dublin for Christmas and finished off the album in a rented house in Dalkey, in south Co Dublin.

Released in 1991, and hailed as a triumphant reinvention, Achtung Baby sold more than 20 million copies. It remains their most important album, and the resulting tour, Zoo TV, changed how live rock music would be presented and experienced.

It’s dark outside in Toronto now, and an interview that began in sunshine has gone way over time. There’s just one more thing. It may well be an act of lese-majesty, but here goes: one possible interpretation of the film, Bono, is that, without Edge, you’d still be in the Baggot Inn. “Sure,” he says, nodding.

“That’s a lovely thing to say,” says Edge. “But I don’t think that’s true. It’s symbiotic. I wouldn’t be able to do what I do without Bono, and I think that’s reciprocal. He makes me great. I help him to be great.”

Before they descend into you’re-my-best-friend territory, we slip away. Bono is saying, “Being in U2 is like being in the priesthood. There’s only one way out. And that’s in a coffin.”

Achtung Baby is rereleased next Friday in five formats, including a remastered CD and a six-CD, four-DVD edition that includes the film From the Sky Down

Bono's line on the horizon

U2’s most recent album, No Line on the Horizon , was widely perceived as a poor seller. But Bono has a different take. “We’re just about to come to five million sales on No Line on the Horizon , and that, these days, is the equivalent of selling 12 million records,” he says, referring to the pre-Napster and pre-illegal download era.

“You can actually do the figures on that. So when you look at it like that, it has the same sales as All That You Can’t Leave Behind [their hit 2000 album]. That’s despite the fact that No Line doesn’t have a Beautiful Day and doesn’t have a Stuck in a Moment. There’s no pop song on No Line , but it’s still sold that amount. It’s been an amazing success for an album which is quite a complex piece of work and doesn’t have one pop song on it.

“People say Get on Your Boots was the wrong single, but it’s great live. Unfortunately, in the last few weeks of finishing the album, we didn’t have the objectivity. We figured out Get on Your Boots later, when we were on the road, and it became a much better song.

“I think Unknown Caller is a classic, as are Moment of Surrender and the live version of Get on Your Boots .”

Back to the future: 'The app format brings you back to that world of gatefold sleeves'

Looking back at the trauma of getting Achtung Baby on its legs and having to forge a new sound and identity, Bono says, “It’s actually worse for us now than it was when we went to Berlin.”

He shrugs off the fact that the band have just recorded the biggest-grossing live tour in the history of popular music and wonders whether U2 can still be relevant. “We can play the big music in big places. But whether we can play the small music, meaning for the small speakers of the radio or clubs, where people are living, remains to be seen,” he says. “I think we have to go to that place again if we’re to survive.

“There are so many U2 albums out there. We need a reason for another one. The whole point of being in U2 is that we’re not here to be an art-house band. Our job, as we see it, is to bring the art house to the mainstream; our job is to puncture the mainstream.”

Earlier, he was using an iPad with the Achtung Baby songs and videos on it. “That’s probably what our new album will look like,” he says. “I’ve been talking about this for the past four years.

“Our last album was the first album to be made available as an app with BlackBerry devices, but it didn’t work: the functionality was not what it could have been. New formats are going to happen. I’m always banging on about this. The app format brings you back to that world of gatefold sleeves, of being able to read lyrics – and [now of] being able to play the album at home on your plasma TV.”
    Anyone think they'll go "dream it all up again"?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20111024
    U2 Revisit ‘Achtung Baby’ – and Question Their Future
    Bono: 'We'd be very pleased to end on 'No Line on the Horizon''

Ask Bono a tough question and you might get a tougher answer. U2 are about to release their most expansive reissue project yet, for 1991's Achtung Baby – the album where they traded in earnest uplift for funk, noise, sex, irony and self-doubt. So how does this lavish look back square with the band's old lyric "You glorify the past when the future dries up"?

"I'm not so sure the future hasn't dried up," says Bono, who's been irritating his bandmates lately by publicly questioning U2's relevance – despite the fact that they just finished the highest-grossing tour of all time. "The band are like, 'Will you shut up about being irrelevant?'" he says. But Bono can't help himself – even though U2 have been in and out of the studio with various producers recently, he raises the possibility that the band may have released its final album. "We'd be very pleased to end on No Line on the Horizon," he says, before acknowledging the unlikelihood of that scenario: "I doubt that."

Bono concedes that revisiting the album where U2 punched themselves out of a tight corner – after 1988's Rattle and Hum movie and album helped convince some music fans they were hopelessly solemn and pompous – suggested a way forward. "Ironically, being forced to look back at this period reminds me of how we might re-emerge for the next phase," says Bono. "And that doesn't mean that you have to wear some mad welder's goggles or dress up in women's clothing. Reinvention is much deeper than that."

Moving forward has never been easy for U2, as chronicled in the outtakes, B sides and early versions of Achtung songs unearthed for a new box set – and set forth in moving detail in From the Sky Down, a documentary about Achtung Baby's genesis by It Might Get Loud director Davis Guggenheim. The movie, which opened the Toronto International Film Festival, makes it clear that trying to find a new sound led to what the Edge calls "a potentially career-ending series of difficulties." In tracing the creation of "One," the film also reveals that lyrics such as "We're one, but we're not the same" are as much about the band's fraught brotherhood as anything else. "I thought [Achtung Baby] was a really supercool moment in a not always supercool life," Bono says with a laugh, "and [Guggenheim] goes and makes an uncool film about us!"

Rattle and Hum, and the horn-section-and-B.B.-King-accompanied Lovetown Tour that followed, were U2's rootsiest moment. But for a band whose actual roots were in late-Seventies post-punk, the cowboy hats and denim were starting to chafe. The Edge was listening to My Bloody Valentine, Nine Inch Nails and Einstürzende Neubauten, while also noting the fusion of rock and dance coming out of Manchester, with groups like the Stone Roses. "I always remember the intense embarrassment when I happened to be in a club and a generous-spirited DJ would put on one of our tunes from the War album," the Edge says. "It was so evident we had never been thinking about how it would go down in clubs. So we just wanted to stretch ourselves in the area of rhythm and backbeat and groove."

The band recorded the bulk of the album in Berlin's Hansa Studios, just as Germany was reunifying – and as co-producer Brian Eno wrote, aesthetic guidelines soon emerged: "Buzzwords on this record were trashy, throwaway, dark, sexy and industrial." "We found it was more interesting to start from an extreme place," says the Edge.

Hence the buzz-saw guitars that kick off the opening track, "Zoo Station," followed by a blast of Larry Mullen Jr.'s drums distorted almost beyond recognition. "Some of the extreme sounds weren't achieved with sophisticated, outboard equipment, dialed in carefully," says the Edge. Instead, they simply overloaded their vintage recording console. "It was literally, 'What happens if you try to go to 11?'" says the guitarist.

For the band, rediscovering the wildly different lyrics and arrangements on the early "kindergarten" versions of the songs was revelatory – "Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World," for instance, sounds like an Irish folk tune. "The first time the paint goes on the canvas is a very, very exciting moment," says Bono. He was intrigued by a line in the early "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" that recasts its story as a "parasitic" love affair ("Your innocence I've experienced"), while the Edge is convinced the more restrained vocal melody on that version is superior to the released track.

One of the more intriguing outtakes, "Down All the Days," has the same backing track as "Numb," from U2's 1993 follow-up, Zooropa, with Bono singing an entirely different song. "It's this quite unhinged electronic backing track with a very traditional melody and lyrics," says the Edge. "It almost worked."

Meanwhile, U2's future plans are not set. "It's quite likely you might hear from us next year, but it's equally possible that you won't," says the Edge. Adds Bono, "We have so many [new] songs, some of our best. But I'm putting some time aside to just go and get lost in the music. I want to take my young boys and my wife and just disappear with my iPod Nano and some books and an acoustic guitar."
  • This is a neat idea! U2.com subscribers can vote for The Ultimate U2360° Subscribers Setlist which will be the new U2.com subscriber (2)CD.
    http://www.u2.com/news/title/announcing-u22-vote-here
    U2360°. 110 shows. 30 countries. 7 million fans. It was the tour that broke all the records and now you get to create the soundtrack, the ultimate U2360° setlist.

Ever wanted to select the tracks for a U2 set ? This is your chance!

The tracklisting of 'U22', a live double-CD collection, will be decided by you, our U2.com subscribers.

Over 26 months the band performed songs from their most recent album No Line On The Horizon all the way back to their debut Boy, playing at least 22 tracks every night.

So what were the stand-out songs? The tracks which define this tour ? Is there a song you could never leave out of a U2 live set? What surprised you on U2360° and what track never failed to deliver?

[...]

When the voting period is over we'll reveal the final tracklisting and you'll receive your own copy of the double CD, 'U22', presented in a custom-designed gatefold sleeve.

'U22' is a limited-edition release for U2.com subscribers only.
    Popmartijn wrote:
    This is a neat idea! U2.com subscribers can vote for The Ultimate U2360° Subscribers Setlist which will be the new U2.com subscriber (2)CD.
    http://www.u2.com/news/title/announcing-u22-vote-here
    U2360°. 110 shows. 30 countries. 7 million fans. It was the tour that broke all the records and now you get to create the soundtrack, the ultimate U2360° setlist.

Ever wanted to select the tracks for a U2 set ? This is your chance!

The tracklisting of 'U22', a live double-CD collection, will be decided by you, our U2.com subscribers.

Over 26 months the band performed songs from their most recent album No Line On The Horizon all the way back to their debut Boy, playing at least 22 tracks every night.

So what were the stand-out songs? The tracks which define this tour ? Is there a song you could never leave out of a U2 live set? What surprised you on U2360° and what track never failed to deliver?

[...]

When the voting period is over we'll reveal the final tracklisting and you'll receive your own copy of the double CD, 'U22', presented in a custom-designed gatefold sleeve.

'U22' is a limited-edition release for U2.com subscribers only.
    That's awesome!! Looks like I may have to go subscribe for this. Thanks for posting! Gotta vote for "The Fly" and "Bad".

PJ should do something like this.
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    I just voted for my 22 tracks. Mainly the 'rarer' stuff -- Your Blue Room, Zooropa, Desire, Bad, Electrical Storm, All I Want Is You, One Tree Hill, The Fly, The Unforgettable Fire, Mothers Of The Disappeared, Angel Of Harlem, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Spanish Eyes....and a couple of others.
  • I think these would be my choices (and I tried to create some sort of a U2 360 setlist for it):
    1 Breathe
    2 No Line On the Horizon
    3 Out Of Control
    4 Return Of The Stingray Guitar
    5 Even Better Than The Real Thing
    6 The Fly
    7 Electrical Storm
    8 All I Want Is You/Love Rescue Me
    9 Mothers Of The Disappeared
    10 Bad
    11 The Unforgettable Fire
    12 Unknown Caller
    13 Your Blue Room
    14 Zooropa
    15 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Remix)
    16 Scarlet
    17 One Tree Hill
    18 Where The Streets Have No Name
    19 Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
    20 Spanish Eyes
    21 Moment of Surrender
    22 “40”

I'm holding out voting for a while to see if other tracks need extra support.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    reading the comments under the voting i realize that pearl jam fans don't have the exclusivity on "fucking nuts" :lol:
    norm wrote:
    reading the comments under the voting i realize that pearl jam fans don't have the exclusivity on "fucking nuts" :lol:
    So the U2 fans are worse than PJ fans?
    I just voted for my 22 tracks. Mainly the 'rarer' stuff -- Your Blue Room, Zooropa, Desire, Bad, Electrical Storm, All I Want Is You, One Tree Hill, The Fly, The Unforgettable Fire, Mothers Of The Disappeared, Angel Of Harlem, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Spanish Eyes....and a couple of others.
    I'd probably go with rarer stuff, too. I'm thinking of joining.
    Newch91 wrote:
    norm wrote:

different sides of same coin...i mean, i like rarities but i started reading the comments and there all like "don't vote for streets" etc...i get what they're saying but streets is a great song...that kinda thinking just bugs me
    norm wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    norm wrote:

different sides of same coin...i mean, i like rarities but i started reading the comments and there all like "don't vote for streets" etc...i get what they're saying but streets is a great song...that kinda thinking just bugs me
    Ah, I get what you mean. Streets should be automatic on the CD. Blend in the classics (Streets, One, Bad, The Fly) with rarities, like Love Rescue Me and One Tree Hill.
    I learned some stuff about Bono that I didn't know before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqCMgdEZ ... re=related
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    Newch91 wrote:
    norm wrote:

let's just say that some are very obsessed and that would be putting it lightly
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    norm wrote:

and the same can be said of the faithful :lol:
    norm wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

and the same can be said of the faithful :lol:
    :lol: I wonder who's more obsessed: U2 or Pearl Jam fans? From what the two of you have said, it seems like U2 fans are more obsessed.

norm saying U2 fans saying to not vote for Streets is like PJ fans with Even Flow, Alive, and Jeremy.
    This is good news. Thank you Paul.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/enter ... 74994.html
  • i bought the super deluxe box today and i have a problem. the zoo tv concert dvd isn't playing in my ps3. it says its in PAL region. is anyone else having this problem???
  • dCowboyPJ wrote:
    i bought the super deluxe box today and i have a problem. the zoo tv concert dvd isn't playing in my ps3. it says its in PAL region. is anyone else having this problem???

This is a known manufacturing defect, yes. I found this comment on the U2.com website:
    "Universal Music tell us that on some older DVD players the 'Zoo TV:Live From Sydney' disc in the Box Sets is not playing properly.

They've set up a helpline and any customers experiencing problems with this DVD are being sent a replacement disc.

If that's you, please email Universal Music Customer Services at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:FishersCustSvc@umusic.com">FishersCustSvc@umusic.com</a><!-- e --> or call 1-800-288-5942

Meantime, while you're waiting for the replacement, the DVD will play in your laptop or desktop
    "
  • Popmartijn wrote:
    dCowboyPJ wrote:
    i bought the super deluxe box today and i have a problem. the zoo tv concert dvd isn't playing in my ps3. it says its in PAL region. is anyone else having this problem???

This is a known manufacturing defect, yes. I found this comment on the U2.com website:
    "Universal Music tell us that on some older DVD players the 'Zoo TV:Live From Sydney' disc in the Box Sets is not playing properly.

They've set up a helpline and any customers experiencing problems with this DVD are being sent a replacement disc.

If that's you, please email Universal Music Customer Services at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:FishersCustSvc@umusic.com">FishersCustSvc@umusic.com</a><!-- e --> or call 1-800-288-5942

Meantime, while you're waiting for the replacement, the DVD will play in your laptop or desktop
    "

thanks man!
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!