Options

Daughter in standard tuning?

whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
edited October 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone have a good tab for Daughter in standard tuning?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LukinzLukinz Posts: 386
    http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/p/pearl_jam/daughter_crd.htm

Don't know how good that one is, but the song sounds 1,000 times better with the open tuning.
    2003: Madison Square Garden 1
    2006: East Rutherford 1, East Rutherford 2
    2008: Madison Square Garden 2
    2010: Newark
    2013: Brooklyn 2 GA
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,156
    it is a pain in the ass trying to play it in standard. much easier with open tuning. just like given to fly is a pain in the ass in standard..
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    nothing_man_92nothing_man_92 Canberra, Australia Posts: 344
    it is a pain in the ass trying to play it in standard. much easier with open tuning. just like given to fly is a pain in the ass in standard..

cheers dude never knew he played it in dagdad been trying to figure out the proper way to play that song for months!
  • Options

cheers dude never knew he played it in dagdad been trying to figure out the proper way to play that song for months!
    yeah in that tuning you play alot of open strings that you don't have to fret. tons easier than trying to make chords when you don't have to. cheers!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    RVCJJ3JRVCJJ3J Posts: 121
    Open G is the easiest way I've found to play it. It's the way Stone plays it as well. Just tune the top two strings(5th & 6th) to G. I tune the 6th up two whole steps and tune the 5th down a whole step. If you can,watch Stone play it on Touring Band 2000, it helps to get a good feel for the way he's doing it.
    Memorial Stadium-October 4, 1996; Riverbend Music Center- August 20, 2000; Post-Gazette Pavilion-September 5, 2000; Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre Charlotte-April 16, 2003; US Bank Arena-June 24, 2006; Scottrade Center-May 4, 2010; Consol Energy Center-October 11, 2013(On the Rail!); Time Warner Cable Arena-October 30, 2013
  • Options

yeah in that tuning you play alot of open strings that you don't have to fret. tons easier than trying to make chords when you don't have to. cheers!
    oops, in my prior post i was referring to open g tuning, not dadgad :oops:

• Options
    Its pretty simple to tune it, and its easy one you get it all together. Its an hour to learn at most. Standard tuning is way harder.
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    Thanks, all.

I wanted to fit Daughter into my acoustic repertoire, hence the request for standard tuning. But, you're suggestions make it easy enough to tune; or maybe I'll just use my old fender acoustic only for Daughter

Cheers
  • Options
    LukinzLukinz Posts: 386
    whygohome wrote:
    Thanks, all.

I wanted to fit Daughter into my acoustic repertoire, hence the request for standard tuning. But, you're suggestions make it easy enough to tune; or maybe I'll just use my old fender acoustic only for Daughter

Cheers

Maybe you can add other songs with that tuning to make it "Worth" it.

I was never big on open tunings but have found out recently that they do make it light years easier to play some songs. Plus you get a great ringing with open strings that you just don't get with fretted ones.
    2003: Madison Square Garden 1
    2006: East Rutherford 1, East Rutherford 2
    2008: Madison Square Garden 2
    2010: Newark
    2013: Brooklyn 2 GA
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    people actually do that? given to fly isn't given to fly if played that way.