Books of your life

CorduroyGirlCorduroyGirl Posts: 283
edited September 2011 in A Moving Train
Hey all! I searched and couldn't find a similar thread, so I decided I'd open one!

I'm a book addict, I have no space to store books at home and still I can't leave a book store empty handed! SO I'd like to know if there are more like me out there and what are the books of your life!

My top includes War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy), The Brothers Karamazov (Fyodor Dostoyevsky), One Hundred Years of Solitude (Gabriel García Márquez) and The Maias (Eça de Queirós).

What about you? :)
~Can't escape from the common rule
If you hate something, don't you do it too...~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    edited September 2011
    To name a few...

Mysteries - Knut Hamsun
    The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoyevsky
    Tropic of Capricorn & Tropic Of Cancer- Henry Miller
    The Thiefs Journal- Jean Genet
    Collected Poems - Arthur Rimbaud
    The Dice Man - Luke Rhinehardt
    Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas- Hunter S. Thompson
    One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
    Howl - Allen Ginsberg
    Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions, and General Tales of Ordinary Madness- Charles Bukowski
    In The Spirit of Crazy Horse - Peter Matthiessen
    Papillon - Henri Charrière
    The Western Lands - William S. Burroughs
    A Gin-Pissing-Raw-Meat-Dual-Carburetor-V8-Son-Of-A-Bitch From Los Angeles - Dan Fante
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • 1984: George Orwell
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Nighttime: Mark Haddon
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Hermann Hesse - Siddhartha
    Albert Sanchez Pinol - La Pell Freda (Cold Skin)
    Alexis Stamatis - Bar Flaubert
    Hermann Hesse - Demian
    Jack Kerouac - On the Road
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky - The Idiot
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment
    James Redfield - The Celestine Prophecy
    Carlos Castaneda - Journey to Ixtlan
    George Orwell - 1984
    Daniel Chavarria - That year in Madrid
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    edited September 2011
    wow... lots of readers of Dostoyevsky... I've never gotten around to it. I'm 31, is it still worth it?

Slaughterhouse Five
    All Tom Robbins novels (Jitterbug Perfume, Another Roadside Attraction, Skinny Legs and All, Still Life with Woodpecker, Even Cowgirls get the Blues, Villa Incognito, et al)
    The Illuminatus! Trilogy
    edit; add,
    Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy
    East of Eden & Grapes of Wrath
    Ulysses

Non-Fiction
    A Peoples History of the US
    A Brief History of Time
    Food of the Gods
    Post edited by he still stands on
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Ishmael - Daniel Baldwin
    The Celestine Prophecy - James Redfield
    Animal Farm - George Orwell
  • Blind Fall - Christopher Rice
    It - Steven King
    1984 - George Orwell
    Full circle - Michael Thomas Ford
    The entire Harry Potter series. I just love to get lost I those books.
    Mahu - Neil Plackey
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Pearl Jam Twenty
    Catcher in the Rye
    Christine
    Pat Tillman book (forget the name have to look it up)
    Black Hawk Down

Sports books:
    Season on the Brink
    Bronx Zoo
    A Civil War
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    100 Classic Hikes in Washington - Ira Spring
    Afoot & Afield in San Diego County - Jerry Schad
    Backpacking California - Paul Backhurst
    Pearl Jam Twenty - Mike Fucking McCready and others
    A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson
    Catch 22 - Joe Heller
    Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
    The Hunt for Red October - Tom Clancy

I also remember The Hardy Boys and Choose Your Own Adventure books kicking some serious ass back in the day. :D
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    wow... lots of readers of Dostoyevsky... I've never gotten around to it. I'm 31, is it still worth it?

Definitely!!! 19th century (and early part of the 20th as well) Russian literature is just fantastic... As mentioned here already, Dostoyevsky, Bulkakov (love Master and Margarita), Tolstoy, Pushkin, Gogol, etc. Too many books to mention. I just love 'the Russians'.

Also love 20th century Latin American literature - Borges, Marquez (a must to read his novels), Neruda, Vargas Llosa.....

I won't say I've read all the books from the above authors but I would say I've read most. I wouldn't be able to give my 'top' ones but some I read over and over again (Master & Margarita, One Hundred Years of Solitude, The Idiot, The Brothers Karamazov, Dead Souls.... )
  • redrock wrote:

Definitely!!! 19th century (and early part of the 20th as well) Russian literature is just fantastic... As mentioned here already, Dostoyevsky, Bulkakov (love Master and Margarita), Tolstoy, Pushkin, Gogol, etc. Too many books to mention. I just love 'the Russians'.

Also love 20th century Latin American literature - Borges, Marquez (a must to read his novels), Neruda, Vargas Llosa.....

I won't say I've read all the books from the above authors but I would say I've read most. I wouldn't be able to give my 'top' ones but some I read over and over again (Master & Margarita, One Hundred Years of Solitude, The Idiot, The Brothers Karamazov, Dead Souls.... )

ok, I will make The Brothers Karamazov my next read, in lieu of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

I do need something less intense... eventually! :D
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • CorduroyGirlCorduroyGirl Posts: 283
    edited September 2011
    I agree with everything Redrock said about both the Russian and the Latin American authors!

And it's totally worth it! My first attempt on The Brothers Karamazov was at the age of 13 and I didn't go through with it, it's better to read it as an adult! :)
    Post edited by CorduroyGirl on
    I do need something less intense... eventually! :D

Eventually... after you have read the Brothers Karamazov.... It's very philosophical. And a fantastic read!
    oh..this is very intresting thread..i love it!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    My favourite Greek man... have you read (and not just because you had to at school) your amazing, amazing Homer and his Ilead and his Odyssey? Or the incredible tragedies of Sophocles and Euripides?

I remember having to study them at school and thus found them a bit boring. But re-reading as an adult (and from my own free will!) I found these epic poems and tragedies so engrossing!!!
    redrock wrote:
    My favourite Greek man... have you read (and not just because you had to at school) your amazing, amazing Homer and his Ilead and his Odyssey? Or the incredible tragedies of Sophocles and Euripides?

I remember having to study them at school and thus found them a bit boring. But re-reading as an adult (and from my own free will!) I found these epic poems and tragedies so engrossing!!!
    yep..Homer they teach us at school..both Iliada and Odyssey..
    and i read alot of tragedies and i saw some of them at theater here,as a play..
    Amazing..
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Great topic. i love to read.

some of my favorite books are

Oblomov by Ivan Goncharov - great story but very anti-climatic. was a book that made me start to see that there are many ways to see characters.

The apology by Plato - the book that made me realized that one must stand by their believe no matter the consequences

catcher in the Rye - read this when i was very young and was the first book in which i hated the main character

The Enchiridion - don't remember the writer but this is the book that helped me in getting over both my parents dying.
  • I loved both the Iliada and the Odyssey, they really hook you up... Also loved The Lusiads which is written in Homeric fashion too but is by a Portuguese author and tells the story (fantasized obviously) of the portuguese discoveries. This last one we study at school, but it wasn't a sacrifice at all!

Right now I'm reading Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy... Thought I'd read it before the movie premiers here (I hate when I watch the movie first because it takes away the pleasure to imagine my own characters)... Anyone read it? I'm just starting, so I can't say if I like it or not yet...

BTW, this topic is so NOT helping my addiction! XD My "to read" list is just getting bigger and bigger!!!
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    I still read F Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby every summer and Hemmingway's Farewell to Arms every winter, love the classics still. And for poetry all classics for sure, I always break out Sylvia Plath in January through March, love her.

I did read Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield this summer, early as I was a little depressed and it sounded depressing but was very good and not completely depressing, I think a lot of PJ people would like it.
    books pass my mind all day..lol
    great thread!!thanks and Congrats to OP for starting it :)
  • CorduroyGirlCorduroyGirl Posts: 283
    edited September 2011
    AH! I read The Great Gatsby this summer... Had never read it (I know, major flaw!) and even more than the story itself, I loved the characters! They are so well constructed! Got a little pissed by the end, though... :evil:

Another one I forgot to mention before is Bram Stoker's Dracula, amazing book! First time I read it I hated it because I had just seen the movie and, as a normal 11 or 12 year old, was obviously in love with Dracula (Gary Oldman) and the character is very different in the book, but I reread it recently and completely changed my mind!
    books pass my mind all day..lol
    great thread!!thanks and Congrats to OP for starting it :)

Awwww!!! Thanks! Hugs from across the EU! XD
    Post edited by CorduroyGirl on
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    AH! I read The Great Gatsby this summer... Had never read it (I know, major flaw!) and even more than the story itself, I loved the characters! They are so well constructed! Got a little pissed by the end, though... :evil:

I'm very seasonal about my reading, it's kinda goofy but whatever. Gatsby is the perfect summer book. Hopefully I will be able to tackle some more Dostoyevsky this winter, loved Crime & Punishment, maybe check out The Brothers Karamazov this winter?
    Patrick Süskind - Perfume
    Tom Robbins - Villa Incognito
    Pascal Bruckner - Lunes de fiel (Bitter Moon)
  • marcos wrote:
    Hopefully I will be able to tackle some more Dostoyevsky this winter, loved Crime & Punishment, maybe check out The Brothers Karamazov this winter?
    Absolutely! Crime and Punishment is great and makes you think and question a lot, but The Brothers Karamazov gets you so envolved (maybe because it's long and you get to know the characters so deeply) that at some point you just can't stop! :)

This:

HOW could I forget it!? So awesome!
    [
    This:

believe me ..kinda 100 more will come to my mind the next days..im just old to remember all now.. :lol:
  • [
    This:

believe me ..kinda 100 more will come to my mind the next days..im just old to remember all now.. :lol:

Same here... Sometimes it gets really frustrating because I don't even recognize the name when asked if I read a certain book, only after the person starts talking about the story i realize I DID read it :roll:

Same here... Sometimes it gets really frustrating because I don't even recognize the name when asked if I read a certain book, only after the person starts talking about the story i realize I DID read it :roll:
    happens to me a month ago.. :roll:
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Housekeeping - Marilyn Robinson
    Birthday Letters - Ted Hughes
    Earthsea series- Ursula Le Guin
    Middlemarch - George Eliot
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman - Laurence Sterne
    Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu
    New Testament (NIV)
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Just started Hayek's The Road to Serfdom.
  • Patrick Süskind - Perfume

VILLA INCOGNITO!!! "tanuki's scrotum was flapping in the wind"... or something like that :D

have you read Robbin's other stuff? I like 5/6 books of his better than Villa Incognito (which is pretty darn good)

VILLA INCOGNITO!!! "tanuki's scrotum was flapping in the wind"... or something like that :D

have you read Robbin's other stuff? I like 5/6 books of his better than Villa Incognito (which is pretty darn good)
    i could easily post ..Jitterbug Perfume .
    the guy is genious..