Backspacer vs Avocado

Comments

• butte1butte1 Posts: 379
    butte1 wrote:
    I would argue that if given a poll, that universally Ten and Vs. are considered the bands two best albums and that those two albums had some of the most collaboration in that every band member contributed almost equally. So how can you say they started to slip when other band members got more control when in fact their best albums were created when Eddie had the least control so to speak? Seems like an invalid argument. I just think the band has always tried to reinivent itself and to try and change and grow, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and as we can see on this thread every person seems to have a different opinion on what worked and what didn't

How many lyrics did Mike, Stone, Jeff, Matt, Dave 1, Dave 2, Matt 2 or anyone else contribute to Ten or Vs.?

The answer is zero.

Now look at Binaural and Riot Act. Ed did not write the lyrics to like half the songs on those two albums. Part of the reason, to me, those albums are the weakest (keep in mind I said I like them ... they are just my least favorite).

It was too collaborative, in my opinion.

The best albums, to me, are the ones that strike the balance between other contributing music and riffs and others contributing whole, completed songs, lyrics and all.

Ed is one of the best lyricists of all time. Letting someone else handle those chores is like the Indianapolis Colts benching Peyton Manning and letting the left tackle play quarterback for a series. The songs the others write, in full, just aren't as good.

If you're looking for the hole in my theory, the answer would be Yield. That had two complete Jeff songs and two complete Stone songs, and rates (to me) as the band's best album. I think it's the exception that proves the rule. Lowlight just happens to be superior to God's Dice, and so forth. Swinging for the fence, got lucky with a strike. ;)

I agree that Eddie is awesome with lyrics. I meant more when the other guys contribute the music and Eddie does the lyrics is when I like them the best collaboration wise. I have few PJ songs that I dislike, very few, but the one's I like the most seem liek are the ones where another member writes teh music and Eddie writes the lyrics is the piont I was trying to emphasize.

On that note it's funny you ended your posts with that last sentence as "Bushleaguer" is probably the only PJ song I hate. I hate it with a passion and it sucks the lfie out of me when they play it live. I hope they've retired it from their live repetoire for good. I'd rather hear Bugs or Foxymop or any of those over Bushleaguer ;)
    R and R Station - Mar 26, 1992 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Aug 29, 1992 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 08, 1995 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 09, 1995 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998 ** ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre (E.V. at Tibetan Freedom Concert) - Jun 13, 1999 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Oct 08, 2000 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 21, 2003 ** United Center - May 16, 2006 ** Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006 ** Riverside Theatre Milw (Eddie Solo Tour) - 2008 ** United Center - Aug 23, 2009 ** The Chicago Theatre (Eddie Solo Tour) - Jun 29, 2011 ** Orpheum Theatre MN (Eddie Solo Tour) - July 2, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    butte1 wrote:

On that note it's funny you ended your posts with that last sentence as "Bushleaguer" is probably the only PJ song I hate. I hate it with a passion and it sucks the lfie out of me when they play it live. I hope they've retired it from their live repetoire for good. I'd rather hear Bugs or Foxymop or any of those over Bushleaguer ;)

I love Bu$hleaguer, especially live. Seen it twice. Give me that over Supersonic any day of the week. My love for Riot Act is endless!!!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    I'll go with Avocado - it is my 3rd favorite PJ album, after Ten and Vs. (both of which I would categorize as perfect records). I really like all the songs on there.

But I am by no means a Backspacer hater. I like Backspacer a lot, actually - it might be my 4th or 5th favorite, and I like a lot of songs on there - Got Some, Force of Nature, Just Breathe, The Fixer, The End, Unthought Known...all good songs for me. A few of them have some awesome imagery to them - Force of Nature, Just Breathe and The End in particular.

I'm really surprised that Force of Nature is not more popular - I think it's a fabulous song.
    boyo79 wrote:
    butte1 wrote:

I love Bu$hleaguer, especially live. Seen it twice. Give me that over Supersonic any day of the week. My love for Riot Act is endless!!!

Supersonic is such a superior song to Bu$hleaguer I can't believe we are even having a conversation debating it. Bushleaguer isn't even a song, it's just a "statement" Eddie has regarding GW. Don't care about the statement eitherway jsut think it's not even a song let alone one i want to hear at PJ20. But again, to each their own I guess
    R and R Station - Mar 26, 1992 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Aug 29, 1992 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 08, 1995 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 09, 1995 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998 ** ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre (E.V. at Tibetan Freedom Concert) - Jun 13, 1999 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Oct 08, 2000 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 21, 2003 ** United Center - May 16, 2006 ** Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006 ** Riverside Theatre Milw (Eddie Solo Tour) - 2008 ** United Center - Aug 23, 2009 ** The Chicago Theatre (Eddie Solo Tour) - Jun 29, 2011 ** Orpheum Theatre MN (Eddie Solo Tour) - July 2, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Bushleaguer is one of the standout tracks on riot act. Love that it's a mix of a stone song and an eddie song.

Avocado's excellent, but prefer Backspacer.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    butte1 wrote:
    boyo79 wrote:
    butte1 wrote:

Supersonic is such a superior song to Bu$hleaguer I can't believe we are even having a conversation debating it. Bushleaguer isn't even a song, it's just a "statement" Eddie has regarding GW. Don't care about the statement eitherway jsut think it's not even a song let alone one i want to hear at PJ20. But again, to each their own I guess

I dunno. Not a big fan of the spoken word thing in this instance, but musically speaking it kicks the crap outta Supersonic.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    boyo79 wrote:
    butte1 wrote:

Since we're onto Busgleaguer now ... not a huge fan of the studio version. Played live, however, it just ... I don't know what the word is .. slams. The music, especially the chorus, just kicks. Never minded it as part of the live show at all.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
    butte1 wrote:
    boyo79 wrote:
    butte1 wrote:

Just because the verses are spoken word doesn't mean it's not a song.
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    boyo79 wrote:
    butte1 wrote:

Since we're onto Busgleaguer now ... not a huge fan of the studio version. Played live, however, it just ... I don't know what the word is .. slams. The music, especially the chorus, just kicks. Never minded it as part of the live show at all.

I too am a Bushleaguer convert. Always skipped it on the disc but then saw it live on one of their concert DVD's and was blown away by the groove and the melody. "Blackout weaves it's way through the city." Awesome!
  • PA JammerPA Jammer Tamaqua, Pa. Posts: 340
    Slight edge to Backspacer for me.
    Tom- Tamaqua PA

"What could be better than a beer with Eddie Vedder"
    TJ25487 wrote:
    I too am a Bushleaguer convert. Always skipped it on the disc but then saw it live on one of their concert DVD's and was blown away by the groove and the melody. "Blackout weaves it's way through the city." Awesome!

And there's the little pause after the "blackout" bit, just a slight one ... and then the first chord of the chorus slams in ... oh man, that's good stuff.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    im a big Backspacer fan. Avocado is my 'least favorite' PJ album.
    butte1 wrote:

That isn't why I don't think it's a song. If that were the case then none of Johnny Cash's music would be songs but he has some great stuff. Sorry, I hate it, I think it's terrible and it's not a song in my world. In fact I pretend PJ never even made it, even tried to figure out if you can erase it from the disc without hurting the disc back in the day but thanks to iTunes Riot Act is now perfect without that song included. Makes me vey happy :D
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    MayDay10 wrote:

This
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    I'm really surprised that Force of Nature is not more popular - I think it's a fabulous song.

I know - my favorite on the album. Such a Mike song. :D
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    MayDay10 wrote:

This
    i give this four thumbs down
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • TMudrickTMudrick Posts: 267
    Avacado just really isnt that great... As other people have said, not one song on their has a lasting impression. It was almost like an excuse to make an album so they could go out and rock some live shows. Backspacer all the way for me, avacado is my least favorite PJ disc.
    butte1 wrote:
    butte1 wrote:

That isn't why I don't think it's a song. If that were the case then none of Johnny Cash's music would be songs but he has some great stuff. Sorry, I hate it, I think it's terrible and it's not a song in my world. In fact I pretend PJ never even made it, even tried to figure out if you can erase it from the disc without hurting the disc back in the day but thanks to iTunes Riot Act is now perfect without that song included. Makes me vey happy :D

So it's not a song just because you don't like it? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I hate broccoli but can't get around the fact that it's still food.
    TMudrick wrote:
    Avacado just really isnt that great... As other people have said, not one song on their has a lasting impression. It was almost like an excuse to make an album so they could go out and rock some live shows. Backspacer all the way for me, avacado is my least favorite PJ disc.

Avocado holds up better than Binaural and Riot Act. And I like both those albums. Not a hater at all. But there's plenty of stuff on both I tend to zip over now.
  • Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    MayDay10 wrote:

This
    :thumbdown: Thumbs down indeed
    TMudrick wrote:

Avocado*. You call Avocado an excuse to make an album so they can play shows? Thats what Backspacer is!!! Avocado had all meaning, it was great music, well thought out. Backspacer is the kind of album that the guys got together and made one just for the sake of making one (not really, but if I had to counter your argument, there isnt one. The instrumentals are no where near as good as any other album). I cannot believe you made that statement. Unbelievable

I mean have you listened to the album? You think they made THAT ALBUM for the sake of playing more shows?! Its so well done, delicate yet hard, with true emotion in it. You're telling me they made Force of Nature, Johnny Guitar, and Gonna See my Friend with more intention to make great music other than World Wide Suicide, Army Reserve, Inside Job, Life Wasted etc.?? This just made me so mad.
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    I just had to add my thoughts to this thread. Look I think they are both wonderful albums. I think Avo is more textured, more sophisticated, more layered and complex. I think BS is a very appealing album, a quick fix, easily digestable, pleasing and fulfilling.

I love them both but if I was forced to choose.......BS may just win by a nose! Although I must admit that Marker in the Sand and Come Back are tracks I die for. But so are Force of Nature and Amongst the Waves :)8-)
    rustedsigns
    manutd3581 wrote:

Avocado*. You call Avocado an excuse to make an album so they can play shows? Thats what Backspacer is!!! Avocado had all meaning, it was great music, well thought out. Backspacer is the kind of album that the guys got together and made one just for the sake of making one (not really, but if I had to counter your argument, there isnt one. The instrumentals are no where near as good as any other album). I cannot believe you made that statement. Unbelievable

I mean have you listened to the album? You think they made THAT ALBUM for the sake of playing more shows?! Its so well done, delicate yet hard, with true emotion in it. You're telling me they made Force of Nature, Johnny Guitar, and Gonna See my Friend with more intention to make great music other than World Wide Suicide, Army Reserve, Inside Job, Life Wasted etc.?? This just made me so mad.

This thread could go on forever. Obviously, it's all a matter of taste. I happen to think Force of Nature is one of the best songs this band has written, especially in the 2000s. I think World Wide Suicide has outlived its usefulness and the lyrics to Inside Job read like they were stolen from an AA pamphlet.

I like both albums for what they are, but if asked to choose, I'd go with Backspacer. For me, there are more goosebumps on that album than Self Titled.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I like both albums for what they are, but if asked to choose, I'd go with Backspacer. For me, there are more goosebumps on that album than Self Titled.

Those aren't goosebumps, they're warts.
    manutd3581 wrote:
    :thumbdown: Thumbs down indeed
    TMudrick wrote:

Ummm, I don't think Self Titled was made jsut to play shows. BUT Force of Nature is a better song both lyrically and musically than all of the songs you just listed by a long shot
    edited July 2011
    DewieCox wrote:

Those aren't goosebumps, they're warts.

Nevermind.
    butte1 wrote:

So it's not a song just because you don't like it? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I hate broccoli but can't get around the fact that it's still food.

I already explained in another post that it is not a song, it is a political statement by Eddie toward GW. That is why it's not a song. I explained that once, didn't think I had to do it twice.
    butte1 wrote:

I already explained in another post that it is not a song, it is a political statement by Eddie toward GW. That is why it's not a song. I explained that once, didn't think I had to do it twice.

You don't have to explain it, because I'm not sure you can.

So now "political statements" aren't songs? That doesn't make any sense. Songs make political statements all the time. Music is one of the most common forms of political expression in America, dating back to the Star-Spangled fucking Banner.

Just because you've concocted these arbitrary rules about what does or does not constitute a song doesn't mean the rest of us have to go along with it.
    butte1 wrote:

You don't have to explain it, because I'm not sure you can.

So now "political statements" aren't songs? That doesn't make any sense. Songs make political statements all the time. Music is one of the most common forms of political expression in America, dating back to the Star-Spangled fucking Banner.

Just because you've concocted these arbitrary rules about what does or does not constitute a song doesn't mean the rest of us have to go along with it.

You asked me to explain why I felt the way I did, and I'm pretty sure we all have our own "rules" and "reasonings" for the things we do and feel. No one said you had to go along with it. Just like I don't have to go along with the fringe idea that Bu$hleaguer is a better song than Supersonic. As I've said before, to each their own.
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I love both albums!!!! Both of them I fell in love with when I first listened to them. But BS really is the album that got me into PJ. It's an incredible album with their best song (Unthought Known) In my opinion. But I also really love Avocado, Life Wasted, Come Back, Unemployable and Parachute are amazing! They are very very close for me but I have to choose Backspacer!! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Someone on this thread needs to relax and respect other's opinions.

The Pearl Jam album just doesn't do it for me. I've never understood the love for Severed Hand either. Now someone please rip me a new asshole.