Comments

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    speaking of bad...got up at 4 in the morning to watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zIW8qDPhos
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    norm wrote:
    speaking of bad...got up at 4 in the morning to watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zIW8qDPhos
    Nice. Worth waking up at 4 in the morning to watch.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Let Edge sing a whole song on the next album. Another example of Edge's fine singing, even if it's at the end, it makes this version even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtVAJEAW ... re=related
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Wouldn't it be cool if Edge had a solo album!? :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
    Back in the USA: U2's Victory Lap
    Behind the scenes on the 360 Tour's final leg. Plus: Inside the next album
    By Brian Hiatt
    June 8, 2011 8:30 AM ET

After U2 clattered through a sped-up, revamped version of "Magnificent" at the kickoff of the final leg of their 360° Tour, Bono smiled and offered an apology to the Denver crowd: "It's in development, that one," he said of a song they've played more than 100 times over the past two years. With 7 million fans in attendance, the 360° Tour is the most successful of all time, beating the Rolling Stones' record with a $700 million gross. But with fewer than 20 dates to go, the band still considers it a work in progress. "We'd like to get it to the place that we want it to be," says the Edge. "The final one or two shows, I'm sure, is where we'll fully realize the 360° Tour. This show is still being born, even if it's two years in."

After the band flies to Vegas following the Denver show, Bono dashes over to an elliptical machine set up in his hotel room and gives it a little hug: "Hi, honey, I'm home," he says, cackling. He feels lucky to be able to work out—and to walk without a limp, for that matter. The current U.S. and Canadian dates were scheduled for last summer, until Bono needed surgery for a serious back injury. "There were some terrible things that could have happened," he says. He's fully recovered, but the tour has now gone on so long that multiple members of the crew have conceived and given birth to babies during its run.

With so much time to evolve, the set list is dramatically different from what U.S. audiences last saw, in 2009. Instead of the No Line on the Horizon track "Breathe," the show now starts with a blazing "Even Better Than the Real Thing." U2 are preparing to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Achtung Baby in the fall, so they're in a Nineties mood—"I'm blown away by how productive and creative that time was," says the Edge. They've also added the rarely played "Zooropa" and even a welcome snippet of "Discotheque."

U2 are happiest about a change involving the Burmese leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who had been placed under house arrest by that country's military regime for 15 years: Each night during "Walk On," the band would make a dramatic call for her release—and in November 2010, she won her freedom. Now, in a video freshly shot in Burma, Aung San Suu Kyi herself addresses the crowd before "One" (Archbishop Desmond Tutu, who previously had that slot, popped up during "Magnificent"). "If you demand it, change will come," she says. "It starts with just one person. One."

Even as it embarked on the biggest tour ever, the band was trying to record a new album, and Bono and the Edge were also trying to save their troubled Spider-Man Broadway musical. "Our drug of choice in this band is doing really difficult things," says Bono. Longtime manager Paul McGuinness puts it more simply: "The expression is to bite off more than you can chew," he says. Bono acknowledges that a new U2 album probably got snagged in the web. "But we don't tell Larry and Adam that," he says with a laugh. "It's not like songwriting has stopped. We're crushing tunes every day."

It wasn't until early this year that the group abandoned the idea of getting an album out before the end of the tour, after working on separate sets of songs with Lady Gaga producer RedOne and Danger Mouse. "We had to have a meeting and look at the schedule to see if we could pick up any extra time to work on it," says Adam Clayton, "and we just realized that we couldn't. To be honest, everyone was a bit gutted. But it was the only sensible decision."

When the tour ends, the three 150-foot-high stage sets that the band has been dragging around will survive: McGuinness has been negotiating to "recycle" them as permanent event spaces around the world. The band will return to the studio, with the expectation of releasing an album toward the end of next year, most likely from the Danger Mouse sessions. "We have to focus on what we do best, and the work we did with Danger Mouse came closest to that," says Clayton. "We want to be in the clubs and make pop music as well as the thing U2 does, but in the end, the thing we did with RedOne doesn't feel like the right fit."

U2 are looking forward to moving on. "It's making me giddy," says Bono, "the idea that this thing will be over in August. I will be sad to say goodbye to the space station, but I'm very excited about the free time to finish these songs." How about some rest? "I'm not tired at all," says Bono, taking a gulp of beer. "But I'm looking forward to, as Johnny Cash said, 'Walking barefoot in my yard.'"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... p-20110608
    Did you see the video norm?
    just did...getting pumped for the show next week :D
    norm wrote:
    just did...getting pumped for the show next week :D
    Nice. Have fun!

Maybe they'll throw in some stuff to prepare for Glastonbury. I know they said they'll be doing more Achtung stuff.
    Dammit! Can't wait this long for a new album. Damn them during "Pop" for announcing the tour before the album was finished.

http://www.atu2.com/news/u2-likely-to-p ... album.html

U2 LIKELY TO PURSUE DANGER MOUSE SONGS FOR LATE 2012 ALBUM

U2 has almost a handful of different album projects underway, but according to a new Rolling Stone article, it'll likely be the band's work with Brian Burton -- AKA Danger Mouse -- that they pursue for the next album. And, that album is being planned for late 2012. The article quotes Adam Clayton:

"We have to focus on what we do best, and the work we did with Danger Mouse came closest to that. We want to be in the clubs and make pop music as well as the thing U2 does, but in the end, the thing we did with RedOne doesn't feel like the right fit."

As for the continuing delays and the previous plan to put out an album before the current North American leg of U2 360 began, Clayton says the band looked at its schedule and realized there wasn't enough time to finish the new songs. "To be honest, everyone was a bit gutted. But it was the only sensible decision," he says. Manager Paul McGuinness put it this way: "The expression is to bite off more than you can chew." Bono admits that his and Edge's Spider-Man work also played a role in delaying U2's album plans.

The article offers another strong hint that U2 will be putting out an Achtung Baby remaster this fall, though there's been no official announcement.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    norm wrote:

Interesting article. I had been wondering why they dropped songs from No Line from the tour. That's a shame as I really like a lot of the new songs (new, well, the albums been out two years now). Unknown Caller, I thought really worked well in a stadium, they played it when I saw them back in 2009. But as its a different show, I like that.
    norm wrote:
    Thanks for that norm. I definitely agree that they should take time off and regroup with their families and then become fresh for the new album.
    This upsets me.... :(
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

thefixer9 wrote:
    What upsets you?
    Newch91 wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:
    What upsets you?

Oh...nevermind..... :lol:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

watching U2 Go Home - Live from Slane Castle DVD and remembering why I feel in love with U2 again.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    watching U2 Go Home - Live from Slane Castle DVD and remembering why I feel in love with U2 again.
    That's my favorite U2 DVD. ZOO TV was probably the best I've seen, but the passion for the home crowd on Slane Castle makes it my favorite. Out of Control is amazing and the lead-in of AIWIY into Streets is amazing.
    New York Times article with Bono and Edge:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/14/theat ... Bh3c6uu+Mw

June 20, Bono and Edge will be guests and will perform a song from the Spider Man musical.

Tonight, they'll be on NBC Nightly News to discuss the musical.
  • washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    it's nice to appreciate U2 on this stupid board for once!!! i remember when i first got in U2 i asked the board which albums i should start with and i got some sarcastic unhelpful comments which were annoying. it's ok if you don't like U2 but why should your hatred reflect MY opinion? :?

ANYWAYYYY

i'm gonna see them in philly and nj and i'm so psyched! i pretty much love all their albums except for unforgettable fire. i always thought if i can go back in time to any concert, even including pearl jam, i would go back to the Zoo TV tour. my favorite music dvd of all time is the Zoo TV tour from Sydney. they're my second favorite band and i would follow them anywhere if i had the money (...and if i had Liam Neeson as a father to rescue me if i got kidnapped by Albanians..) one of my tattoos is of the tree from One Tree Hill like the song. and i'm OBSESSED with Zooropa (my sig is a quote from the song which means so much to me)

overall i just need to say

I LOVE U2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
    it's nice to appreciate U2 on this stupid board for once!!! i remember when i first got in U2 i asked the board which albums i should start with and i got some sarcastic unhelpful comments which were annoying. it's ok if you don't like U2 but why should your hatred reflect MY opinion? :?

ANYWAYYYY

i'm gonna see them in philly and nj and i'm so psyched! i pretty much love all their albums except for unforgettable fire. i always thought if i can go back in time to any concert, even including pearl jam, i would go back to the Zoo TV tour. my favorite music dvd of all time is the Zoo TV tour from Sydney. they're my second favorite band and i would follow them anywhere if i had the money (...and if i had Liam Neeson as a father to rescue me if i got kidnapped by Albanians..) one of my tattoos is of the tree from One Tree Hill like the song. and i'm OBSESSED with Zooropa (my sig is a quote from the song which means so much to me)

That song is one of my top 10 U2 songs (I think, I'll have to check my list). It's such an amazing song.
  • Newch91 wrote:

ANYWAYYYY

Interesting - I love this album and the title track still remains my favourite song of theirs. It was October that I really struggled with.
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    the go home dvd is spectacular. especially love out of control with bono introducing the band as if it were 80. some days I go on U2 dvd watching binges.

live aid dvd, bad.. such a classic and legendary moment for them
    rattle and hum, larry on the king's bike haha...STREETS!!!!
    zoo tv. god I wish I could go back in time for this, they played the spectrum and the vet in philly. I was a bit too young for it at the time.
    pop mart from mexico city not as terrible as everybody thinks. still some great performances
    elevation from boston, vertigo from chicago, go home, 360 rose bowl...all have so many amazing moments. I love love love an cat dubh>into the heart, electric co fucking rocks!!!!

GOD I love this band, I gotta go listen to Achtung right now!!
  • stipe19stipe19 Posts: 237
    u2 whose gonna ride your wild horses one of the greatest songs ever written
    stipe19 wrote:
    Agreed.
    Newch91 wrote:
    stipe19 wrote:
    Agreed.

1000% Agreed!!!! :mrgreen: :wave: :clap: :thumbup:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

ANYWAYYYY

that's fantastic!!! I will also be at the Philly and NJ shows (and Pittsburgh too)

Back when they came out, I do remember hearing the hits (I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, Pride, Bad) on the radio and really liking it, but being a metal head, U2 was not a band I was supposed to be into, my friends would have killed me.

But then I went away to college in 1986, when Joshua Tree came out, a roommate made a cassette. Joshua Tree on one side, Unforgettable Fire on the other side and I just kept listening to them on headphones while I studied.

Back in high school I saw a lot of metal bands in concert, but feeling that I had to grow up, I did not go to any concerts for a long time. Finally I saw the Slane Castle DVD Christmas 2003 and that changed everything for me. I told my son that next time they come around, we are going to see them. I managed to see them 6 times on the Vertigo tour, two of them with my son (he was 10 at the time). I also started seeing a lot of other bands in concert as well. And I finally 'got' PJ just a few years ago.
    Nice early look into the work with Danger Mouse.

http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/_news ... spider-man
    Guess who are the highest paid musicians.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopth ... musicians/
    Newch91 wrote:

Sweet, was just going to post this. Oh and the hockey game last night opened up with "Where the Streets have No Name"
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

thefixer9 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Sweet, was just going to post this. Oh and the hockey game last night opened up with "Where the Streets have No Name"
    Nice.