Options

ISO Pearl Jam Quilt

sdriscol29sdriscol29 Posts: 69
edited April 2011 in Lost Dogs
We are having a baby soon, in the next couple weeks. This will be our third. My older boys have both received quilts when they were born, but I wanted to do something special, since this will be our last, well last planned kid that is :D , I wanted to do something special and either get or make them a quilt. Since I plan on passing down my musical knowledge and overall love of my favorite bands, I wanted to express this in the quilt that they could keep forever. I am really focusing right now on just one, but eventually I will make one for all 3. Maybe even one for myself. Now here is where I need some help. Can anyone give me any ideas for either material that is PJ related or any ideas on like a plan? I have some ideas in my head, just wondering myself what is going to make the most amount of sense. If this is not in the appropriate place please let me know and feel free to move it.

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    lots of vinyl with song titles or something else written on the labels
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    What about one made out of t-shirts??? or would it not be heavy / warm enough?

Jim
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    These are some good suggestions. I honestly do not have any T-shirts and can not justify buying just to cut up. :( I will think of something. I am still playing with some ideas.
  • Options
    GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,075
    sdriscol29 wrote:
    These are some good suggestions. I honestly do not have any T-shirts and can not justify buying just to cut up. :( I will think of something. I am still playing with some ideas.

+1 for the t-shirt idea. very cool.

maybe some folks around here have old shirts that are full of holes or no longer fit them that they would be willing to part with. I would send you one (or a few) if I had any that fit into that category. You could use them as just part of the quilt? I am not a quilt maker or crafty person, but I can picture a quilt with some t-shirt squares surrounded by squares of coordinated colors in different patterns or solids...
    anyways, just a thought. I think the t-shirts would be super cool.
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Lone Drawn MeteorLone Drawn Meteor Vancouver, BC, Canada, Northern Hemishpere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Posts: 1,230
    Why don't the sqaures of the quilt make up the image from the cover of No Code. Doesn't have to be photos, just the general colours to get the effect. You could actually do ALL the album covers that way. They'll just look like 8-bit versions of themselves.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,075
    Why don't the sqaures of the quilt make up the image from the cover of No Code. Doesn't have to be photos, just the general colours to get the effect. You could actually do ALL the album covers that way. They'll just look like 8-bit versions of themselves.

now THAT is an awesome idea..sounds like a big undertaking! You need someone who knows what the heck they are doing, that's for sure! (and if you FIND said person, give them my name because I would buy a bad ass PJ quilt like this in a heartbeat!! :D )
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Options

That is awesome and exactly what I was originally thinking of doing. I am going to draw something up and get back to see what you guys think. I have never made a quilt either but I do know how to sew, I just hope I can complete it.
  • Options
    cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    My sister made one of her boyfriends at the time a Red Sox quilt. She took the sox logo, had it blown up and made a pattern out of it. So I guess if you want baby stickman from the PJ rockabye album 9674_lrg_1.jpg
    you could blow it up and make a quilt out of it.

Also I remember seeing on Project Runway they had this computer that made custom fabric. I'm not sure what they used but I Googled it and Spoonflower came up. Sounds pricey but may be really cool. http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,698
    Would take some time and effort but, get some scrap material and cut out PJ related images , you know like for an applique?

I guess what I'm trying to say is think of how a quilt is put together. And then do that with PJ themes?

http://quilting.about.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quilting

Good luck and GREAT IDEA!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14