Options

vinyl storage question...

KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
edited March 2011 in Lost Dogs
I just pulled my vinyl collection out for the first time in a while and noticed a couple of the records have gotten some slight ring wear (Binaural's the worst). Any ideas on how to prevent this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    I don't know how you were storing them, but if they were stacked one on top of the other that could do the trick. Storing them standing up is best. If you had them standing up then I have no clue.
  • Options
    i don't know how you store them but i store mine vertical - like they would be on shelves - and not laying flat on top of each other. the weight of the records on top of each other causes ring wear. milk crates work well and are inexpensive but they are not perfect. wooden shelves are the way to go IMO - you can easily build them with some plywood also.
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    Yeah they were standing up but leaning on each other in a big bin-type thing. I did rearrange them so the heavier ones are in the back... maybe that'll help.
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    I'm having similar issues...

I was thinking about perhaps separating the vinyl from the covers. Like having a bin or crate of just the vinyl and keep the covers themselves on display.... eliminating any damage to the vinyl and the cover.

Thoughts???

All input appreciated :)
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    YIKES. Do yourself and anyone who may buy those records down the road a huge favor and ALWAYS put your vinyl into a protective sleeve after opening, and always store upright. These sleeves are great-

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-4186-12- ... leeve.aspx
  • Options
    d1witdafunkd1witdafunk Posts: 226
    ring wear is caused when you pack records to tight together, even if they are standing up always leave space ;)
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    YIKES. Do yourself and anyone who may buy those records down the road a huge favor and ALWAYS put your vinyl into a protective sleeve after opening, and always store upright. These sleeves are great-

these are the exact ones ive been using... and the ones ive used to spray paint my alive guy stencil onto.
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    I have an antique cherry record cabnet that belonged to my grandparents that I store my vinyl in. It was specifically designed to hold records & stores them vertically. It even has a smaller section in front of the lps to hold 45's & 78's.
    I wish I were the verb "to trust" and never let you down
  • Options
    THIS

and dont have them crammed in together...the " i can get another on in the box if i really try" is killing your vinyl..have them so you can finger over the vinyls and pull them out easy..(if in a vinyl box)..best on a sleeve in bags vinyl not in sleeve..=happy vinyl
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    The only way to completely avoid ring wear is to store the vinyl separate from covers.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    I have an antique cherry record cabnet that belonged to my grandparents that I store my vinyl in. It was specifically designed to hold records & stores them vertically. It even has a smaller section in front of the lps to hold 45's & 78's.

Nice!!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    My dad had a thick A4 card on either side of the vinyl sleeve in between the cover and sleeve and always stored then vertically in small amounts. He adapted the shelving he had so that no more 20 records would be putting pressure on each other. He just put in extra devides to seperate them. I do the same and have no problems at all.