I need a VERY simple but important favor

circles downcircles down Posts: 182
edited February 2008 in The Porch
All right this is going to sound weird to some of you, but back off haters.

I am giving up a few items for Lent. One thing I'm giving up is this here board. I come here way too much at work and at home. I love it here, but it's a pretty big distraction.

The favor I am asking for is if I could count on someone to just send me an email if any news breaks. This would keep my mind at ease that I'm not going to miss a tour announcement, some new cool item for sale, appearances, or whatever while I'm doing my best to avoid spending hours a day on here between now and Easter. I know that the 10C sends emails out, but not all the time, and not always on time. Obviously I'm looking for someone that comes here every single day, or close to it, and most importantly, will not forget. Basically, I'm just asking for an email. I would really appreciate it if some cool individual would help a brotha out. PM me. Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078

I am giving up a few items for Lent. One thing I'm giving up is this here board. I come here way too much at work and at home. I love it here, but it's a pretty big distraction.

The favor I am asking for is if I could count on someone to just send me an email if any news breaks. This would keep my mind at ease that I'm not going to miss a tour announcement, some new cool item for sale, appearances, or whatever while I'm doing my best to avoid spending hours a day on here between now and Easter. I know that the 10C sends emails out, but not all the time, and not always on time. Obviously I'm looking for someone that comes here every single day, or close to it, and most importantly, will not forget. Basically, I'm just asking for an email. I would really appreciate it if some cool individual would help a brotha out. PM me. Thanks.
    sure, pm me your email addy
    i cant guarentee the for sale stuff as i am not a poster-phile
    but anything else i keep an eye out for.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • All right this is going to sound weird to some of you, but back off haters.

i would help you out.....

but i am not here on this board to often.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    i would help you out.....

but i am not here on this board to often.....
    funniest thing i have read all week
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    You only have 467 posts... I think you'll be OK to sneak on here every so often.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,547
    moses562 wrote:
    You only have 467 posts... I think you'll be OK to sneak on here every so often.

Number of posts is not necessarily an accurate indicator of time spent reading here. I spent much time lurking before deciding to get more involved.

I just want to offer some encouragement. I gave up Pearl Jam for Lent in 1998. YIELD had just been released and I found myself completely engrossed in it. PJ was everything to me and the only thing I could think about. I mailed the cd to a friend three states away and promised myself to focus on things with a higher purpose than Pearl Jam for a season.

The experience was enlightening and helped me gain perspective. I hope it is for you as well. Your sacrifice is admirable.

(and if you need another mirror from the board, PM me your email)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    doesn't seem like your sacrificing much...maybe still go on the board and sacrifice something different?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • I was raised Irish Catholic....Guilt....Guilt...Guilt! Give up things all of the time- especially this time of year......Lent. However - What I really wanted to say is not appropriate. (Catholic anger). I respect your affiliation - with the Catholic Church - and will assist in keeping you informed -as well.
    Now a practicing "Jain."
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

"Empty pockets will Allow a greater Sense of wealth...." EV/ITW
  • evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,345
    good luck man u wont miss much hopefully somthing different though
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,084

Not to be an ass, but doesn't that defeat the purpose? Where's the sacrifice and self-denial?
  • What I would do if I was you is just give up going to the forum pages. Bookmark pearljam.com and just look at the home page once or twice a day. Anything big will be on there once its anounced. But the question is.... Can you go to the homepage without clicking on the forums? Can you handle the shakes and upper lip sweat of withdrawal? Do you have what it takes to hang out in front of the liquor store without going in?
  • Actually people I'm not Catholic. I just recognize the value of Lent if approached with the proper attitude. And no, this is not the only thing I'm giving up. I'm not going to listen to music or the radio at all (I'm addicted to my local sports radio station) the entire time. So for the person that questioned if I was giving up enough I hope this meets your approval. I did the same thing last year and I found the time to be pretty valuable. In the car, at home, at work, without something being constantly pumped into my brain can be a pretty healthy alternative. I love music 24/7, so it was difficult, but it gave me time to think about other things, meditate, pray, listen, just be quiet. As far as the suggestion of just going to pearljam.com goes, I did think of that, and it would probably work, but part of my effort is to just not pop over to anything for a while. Thanks to those of you that had supportive things to say.
  • dear jesus: i love you very much (and not just because you look a little like eddie vedder), so i want to do something nice for you for lent.

a dude over at the pearl jam message pit is giving up visiting the pit for lent. if you ask me, that's pretty extreme. i'm thinking you'd be happier with me if i did something POSITIVE rather than just giving up something temporarily. so, i asked myself ... what would you do? (you meaning you, jesus. as in WWJD?) and i realized that you would do something cool like feed a thousand people with a couple of trout. well, i can't do magic. but here's what i can do: i can turn 1,000 people onto pearl jam for lent! brilliant, right?!? i'm going to do it by blasting PJ music from my car every time i go somewhere. okay, it's true that i already do that. but that's a technicality, jesus. and if that dude over at the message pit can get people to tell him about poster sales during his lent blackout period, then i should be able to get away with this. hope you like your gift, jesus! TF2000

P.S. Can you arrange a summer tour, please. I can't make it to Bonnaroo.
    Give way to nature ...
  • DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    I think what you're doing is GREAT!

dear jesus: i love you very much (and not just because you look a little like eddie vedder), so i want to do something nice for you for lent.

a dude over at the pearl jam message pit is giving up visiting the pit for lent. if you ask me, that's pretty extreme. i'm thinking you'd be happier with me if i did something POSITIVE rather than just giving up something temporarily. so, i asked myself ... what would you do? (you meaning you, jesus. as in WWJD?) and i realized that you would do something cool like feed a thousand people with a couple of trout. well, i can't do magic. but here's what i can do: i can turn 1,000 people onto pearl jam for lent! brilliant, right?!? i'm going to do it by blasting PJ music from my car every time i go somewhere. okay, it's true that i already do that. but that's a technicality, jesus. and if that dude over at the message pit can get people to tell him about poster sales during his lent blackout period, then i should be able to get away with this. hope you like your gift, jesus! TF2000

P.S. Can you arrange a summer tour, please. I can't make it to Bonnaroo.

this made me laugh! haha!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Rose1963 wrote:
    I was raised Irish Catholic....Guilt....Guilt...Guilt! Give up things all of the time- especially this time of year......Lent. However - What I really wanted to say is not appropriate. (Catholic anger). I respect your affiliation - with the Catholic Church - and will assist in keeping you informed -as well.
    Now a practicing "Jain."

Other churches also observe Lent - Lutheran churches, United Church of Christ are two examples.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi