Options

Bonnaroo Info Thread

lukin321lukin321 Charlotte, NC Posts: 864
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Figured i'd make one of these for people like myself who have never been to the festival.

Hopefully people who have been can contribute. First, if I were to fly in, what is the closest airport to Manchester?
9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bird jambird jam Posts: 107
    lukin321 wrote:
    Figured i'd make one of these for people like myself who have never been to the festival.

Hopefully people who have been can contribute. First, if I were to fly in, what is the closest airport to Manchester?

Nashville.
    Liberace was great on the piano but he sucked on the organ.
  • Options
    LUV2ROCKLUV2ROCK Posts: 140
    Manchester is located southeast of nashville,down highway 24.
    Look toward the right corner of this map.Follow hwy 24 down till you see manchester.
    Looks to be roughly 65 miles (roughly an hour's drive,normally).But with thousands making the trek,it will be much longer.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Nashville,+TN&daddr=manchester,tn&sll=35.862344,-86.390991&sspn=0.97494,1.867676&ie=UTF8&ll=35.822267,-86.426697&spn=0.975433,1.867676&z=9&om=0
    73,XXX

Member since day 1 here in August 2003
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    How about the water bottle issue? Is there a limit on how much you can bring in if they are all sealed? What about coolers?

Also, my wife is a vegan, will there be food for her there or is she allowed to bring her food in?

Thanks
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    LukinFan wrote:
    How about the water bottle issue? Is there a limit on how much you can bring in if they are all sealed? What about coolers?

Also, my wife is a vegan, will there be food for her there or is she allowed to bring her food in?

Thanks

Id have her bring her own... if there is food, its probably gonna be easy food... such as stuff that vegans do not eat :D Better safe than sorry i would say

ps. im pretty sure you can have coolers
  • Options
    Id have her bring her own... if there is food, its probably gonna be easy food... such as stuff that vegans do not eat :D Better safe than sorry i would say

ps. im pretty sure you can have coolers
    Thanks, so you are allowed to bring food in? Most festivals you can't bring food in.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I think they mean the campground. You can basically bring whatever you want to your campsite..just can't bring much in besides bottled water to what they call Centeroo (which is inside the gates). You might also be able to bring a few snacks..I forget.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    are there hookups (electricity, water, sewage) for RV's?

Also whats the cost.

finally...trees for shade or is this place in big open feild??

thanks
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    LukinFan wrote:

Thanks

No limit on how much water you can bring to the festival or into the main stage area or Centeroo (where the other stages and tents are located). There are free water sources located throughout the campgrounds and Centeroo.

You can bring any food you want with you to the festival, they may not allow you to bring some into the stage areas. Just keep in mind that NO glass containers are allowed.

Vegan food will be available there at some of the MANY food vendors. Many hippies go to Roo, so there will be plenty of options for your wife.
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    are there hookups (electricity, water, sewage) for RV's?

Also whats the cost.

finally...trees for shade or is this place in big open feild??

thanks

No electric or water hookups for RVs. If you want electric you will need to have a generator. To take an RV, you have to buy an RV pass in addition to your ticket(s).

There are some trees for shade in Centeroo, but most of the campground is just an open field with mostly dirt roads. Some of the camping area is located by some trees, but that's mostly far away from where all the stages are. You can't choose your spot, you just have to camp where they direct you to go.
  • Options
    Red Lukin wrote:
    I think they mean the campground. You can basically bring whatever you want to your campsite..just can't bring much in besides bottled water to what they call Centeroo (which is inside the gates). You might also be able to bring a few snacks..I forget.

Yes, you can bring some snacks. I don't really know what they limit you too though. It's really up to the discretion of the person who searches your stuff when you go into Centeroo or the main stage area.
  • Options
    howmuch for the tix, and does it usually sell out?
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    howmuch for the tix, and does it usually sell out?

The base ticket price for the past three years were:

2005 - $150
    2006 - $170
    2007 - $185

I think the base price will be $200 this year. Also, in past years the first allotments of tickets (an unknown number) were sold at a slightly lower price.
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    NeilJam wrote:
    Yes, you can bring some snacks. I don't really know what they limit you too though. It's really up to the discretion of the person who searches your stuff when you go into Centeroo or the main stage area.

You mean it depends if he'd want some of those snacks you brought ;).

do tix usually sell out, or can I wait to buy them whenever?
  • Options
    You mean it depends if he'd want some of those snacks you brought ;).

do tix usually sell out, or can I wait to buy them whenever?

Tickets haven't sold out the past few years until only a week or two before the festival. You shouldn't have any problem with them selling out too quickly.
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    so is camping free with a ticket???
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    Instead of asking tons of individual questions (and I do appreciate your desire to learn ahead of time), check out the Bonnaroo website. There's craploads of info. They even have their own message board with very informative threads.
    Just a tip.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options

Yes. Your camping is included in the cost of the ticket. Although, there is an additional fee if you want to take an RV.
  • Options
    13PJ13 wrote:
    Instead of asking tons of individual questions (and I do appreciate your desire to learn ahead of time), check out the Bonnaroo website. There's craploads of info. They even have their own message board with very informative threads.
    Just a tip.

That is good advice. but here is a tip you won't find on their website:

Take something to cover your mouth to protect against dust from the dirt roads. A bandanna or painter's mask would work well. With the dry weather last year, and dirt roads throughout the campgrounds, there was a lot of dust in the air on the farm, especially on the roads in the campgrounds.
  • Options
    NeilJam wrote:
    No limit on how much water you can bring to the festival or into the main stage area or Centeroo (where the other stages and tents are located). There are free water sources located throughout the campgrounds and Centeroo.

You can bring any food you want with you to the festival, they may not allow you to bring some into the stage areas. Just keep in mind that NO glass containers are allowed.

Vegan food will be available there at some of the MANY food vendors. Many hippies go to Roo, so there will be plenty of options for your wife.
    Thank you so much
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    how about some insight on the vip vs reg tix?
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    a5pj wrote:
    how about some insight on the vip vs reg tix?

The main thing is proximity. You can hear the music loud and clear from your camp in VIP, and it's only a minute or so walk to the main stage area. GA can be 45-60min!

Also with VIP you get A/C washrooms, showers, a larger camp space, free food from noon-9pm, and a pre-party on Thursday (with free beer).

I think they also get their own personal band on Thursday. Last year was Dr. Dog I believe.

You also don't get checked, so you can go back to VIP grab some food and some beers, then walk into Centeroo and watch some music with a beer in hand (instead of paying $6 a beer in Centeroo).

It costs like $600-700 bucks, compared to $200 GA.
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,327
    http://bonnaroo.proboards21.com/index.cgi

In the past, VIP tickets were sold in pairs only-1200 total plus a bunch of fees. There are a few threads at the above website that debate regular vs VIP camping.

VIP is very close to Centeroo and there is air-conditioning and showers. There are other perks but those alone are worth the extra 400 bucks. There is food from noon to 9pm and it's easy to bring in your own beer.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    hmm i was thinking vip sounded nice, price is a little too nice for me, esp since it looks like i might be going solo... looks like no vip here...

Thinking of it, it's cheaper than the lolla packages and it sounds like you get more at roo too.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    a5pj wrote:
    hmm i was thinking vip sounded nice, price is a little too nice for me, esp since it looks like i might be going solo... looks like no vip here...

Thinking of it, it's cheaper than the lolla packages and it sounds like you get more at roo too.

I don't think it's as necessary at Lolla. I mean most people have a hotel they can go back to to relax, but at Roo not having to walk 45 min back to your tent for food, water, beer etc. saves a lot of energy. I went vip last year at roo and must have went back to my tent at least 5 times a day to eat, shower, grab drinks, relax etc., and found the $100 a day to be worth it. If I had to walk 45 min back to my tent in GA I probably would have been pretty tired by the end of the day, andlikely would have spent lots of money on food etc. in Centeroo. Remember the music goes til 3-5am, so it's key to save energy.

If I were in GA I might think about an RV. It's very hot and to go back to an air conditioned RV would be heaven.
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,327
    a5pj wrote:

I've read that it's really easy to unload single VIP's. I'm probably going alone as well and the close proximity is a huge plus. trying to find my way back to my tent after a really long day and night.... that's just asking for trouble! :) People at the other website have posted about having to walk an hour back to their tents.... walking back and forth would blow. It gets cold at night and if someone was playing that you wanted to see... you'd have to freeze or carry something around all day. Bleh...

Saving $ on beer is a huge plus, too. And it's well-lit.
  • Options
    The first two years I went I was lucky and had great camping spots about 15-20 minutes from Centeroo. Last year I got stuck in the boonies so it was closer to an hour to get to the festivities. I've been saying I will go VIP if PJ ever plays Roo and plan to follow up on that pledge this year.

I should also note that last year they added more space to the VIP section of the campground. Apparently the upped the percentage of VIP tickets.
  • Options
    Wow, it sounds have if Bonnaroo has really changed since I went the first year.

I believe I paid $75 for my ticket. We arrived Thursday and waited about 7 hours in traffic, which was good compared to some people. We got very luck with our campsite as it was right in front of the main stage. We could sit on top of our car and see the jumbotrons and hear the music perfectly. We were also about a 5 minute walk from Centeroo. We were able to bring anything into Centeroo, just not the main stage areas (I hope this hasn't changed).

The scene at the first Bonnaroo was amazing. So many people who had no idea what to expect. The weather was great and the vibe was even better. Met a lot of extremely nice people there. I'm so glad that my first return trip will be to see PJ!
    "Memories like fingerprints are slowly raising."
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    Thanks, so you are allowed to bring food in? Most festivals you can't bring food in.

a girl i know went last year so i grilled her about some things :D

She says reguarding food.. They do HAVE food, but she said it was kind of gross and hurt her stomach... she said people brought all their own stuff pretty much.
  • Options

good question. I think you only have to pay to "car camp" (or for the spot rather) which is what route i think im gonna take... its all gonna come down to money though i guess.. (doesnt everything? ;p)
  • Options
    good question. I think you only have to pay to "car camp" (or for the spot rather) which is what route i think im gonna take... its all gonna come down to money though i guess.. (doesnt everything? ;p)

See the correct answer to that question in post #18.