Options

No Oscar Nomination for Guaranteed

Comments

• Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    nfanel wrote:
    thanks for refreshing my memory. :p
    at least we know the people that make the nominations are insane....and ed isn't losing out to actual good songs. :)

agreed!...let us all move on...
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    brainofPJ wrote:
    what's with the purple face?

does it really make people sad?

I was in between the sad face and the angry face... so I chose the sad face... I would have prefered a "this is bS face" though....

I mean it doesnt really make me sad like boohoo sad I'm crying but I was surprised ... :p
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    Hunger StrikeHunger Strike Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 229
    "Sean Penn also missed out on a directing nod for “Into the Wild,” as did Eddie Vedder, who was shut out in music categories."

This is what I found......
    Totally BS!
  • Options
    3 songs from enchanted? yeah thats crap.

i'm not even saying he should have won, but if you win at the golden globes then you should at least be in the running.

oscars are dumb.

but i will admit, disney has produced some good songs, but i dont even think that really good timeless movies produced three songs.

oh well, maybe we will be lucky and the strike will last just long enough to have them do it in an hour presentation as well.
    mean people suck!
    but nice people sw****w

• Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Into The Wild was largely ignored.

No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood both received 8 nominations each, while Atonement and Michael Clayton both garnered 7 nominations.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN2054595020080122

I liked Ed's music for the film, but perhaps other films were more deserving on the whole. If ITW had the impact of those films receiving many noms, perhaps Ed's music would have been given more consideration. Just a thought.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    yeah last year dreamgirls had 3 of the 5 songs
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    Actually it makes perfect sense that he didnt got nominated I mean we love Pearl Jam but for the majority of people and for the rating its bettr to have people performing the songs of Enchanted on live TV than to have eddie vedder alone singing with a guitar a song that most people wouldn't like.

Oscar is stupid, but its a money making machine so....
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I am glad! After seeing what they nominated "There Will Be Blood" for, these awards mean absolutely nothing to me!
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    I'm not a big awards show fan, but the oscars have always been the exception for me, and one thing they consistantly do, is pick shitty songs for best song. Yes I am a big PJ fan, but the year they skipped "Man of the Hour" from Big Fish, the songs chosen were ridiculous. I haven't heard this years songs, but Guarranteed was on many top lists, so how it doesn't get oscar attention is beyond me. I was surprised Into the Wild didn't get a nod for Cinematography also.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    I'm not a big awards show fan, but the oscars have always been the exception for me, and one thing they consistantly do, is pick shitty songs for best song. Yes I am a big PJ fan, but the year they skipped "Man of the Hour" from Big Fish, the songs chosen were ridiculous. I haven't heard this years songs, but Guarranteed was on many top lists, so how it doesn't get oscar attention is beyond me. I was surprised Into the Wild didn't get a nod for Cinematography also.

Bob Dylan won an Oscar in 2000. Bruce Springsteen before him in 1993.

Theirs were not shitty songs.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    HOW THE FUCK DO YOU NOMINATE THREE SONGS FROM ONE MOVIE?
    "Enchanted" had three songs in the best original song.

I'll make a bold statement..."Echanted" will win the Best Original Song :eek:
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    HOW THE FUCK DO YOU NOMINATE THREE SONGS FROM ONE MOVIE?
    "Enchanted" had three songs in the best original song.

I'll make a bold statement..."Echanted" will win the Best Original Song :eek:

If you look at the history of the category, the Academy has been nominating multiple songs from the same film for 20 years or more. It is not a new phenomenon.

Not saying it is justified, but it has become a somewhat accepted tradition for this award.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    thats total bullshit... not only was it a crummy year for movies but now THIS... not to mention the writers strike... im all about boycotting this stupid event... quick suckin off disney and spread the love to another highly acclaimed film... they were probably just afraid ed would say or do something characteristically ed with such a big spotlight
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Bob Dylan won an Oscar in 2000. Bruce Springsteen before him in 1993.

Theirs were not shitty songs.

bob dylans song the year he won was pure garbage... the academy has to stop giving awards out just because someone is old and legendary... if eddie was 30 years older i bet he wouldve gotten a nomination... its bullshit
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    pouch15 wrote:
    Actually it makes perfect sense that he didnt got nominated I mean we love Pearl Jam but for the majority of people and for the rating its bettr to have people performing the songs of Enchanted on live TV than to have eddie vedder alone singing with a guitar a song that most people wouldn't like.

Oscar is stupid, but its a money making machine so....
    I can bet the Oscar organisers are not happy that Ed and Johnny didn't get nominated because they would have brought extra audience that doesn't normally watch (us basically..well, I do normally watch except I gave up last year trying, after 20 years of staying up all night, to jump though hoops to do so as I don't have nor need nor want Sky..)

as for the voters, I've no idea who actually votes for the Songs category nominations (for Score it's film composers..maybe they vote for songs too but since those 2 worlds are not really compatible..that'd explain)...but it's ALWAYS boring and soppy!
    I was actually very surprised with last year's win...well, it being nominated..the rest of the academy jumped on the first song in at least 20 years to be vaguely original so it won..
  • Options
    aa
  • Options
    That plus I don't think they want to take the risk of having Ed on stage giving speeches on Election year :p

That is great.
  • Options
    Three 6 Mafia

Academy Award winners.

but yeah, they're old and predictable. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Who gives a fuck! .....I hope Ed is laughing at all you people who are in an uproar over this shit.
  • Options
    Who gives a fuck! .....I hope Ed is laughing at all you people who are in an uproar over this shit.

I don't think anyone is in an uproar...it's just discussion (helps kill time at work) :p
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    I am glad! After seeing what they nominated "There Will Be Blood" for, these awards mean absolutely nothing to me!

what was wrong with "There will be Blood" ??? Easily the best movie of the year but knowing the academy Micheal Clayton and Atonement will be the big winners, they love sweeping, romantic love story tragedies and George Clooney.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    ... and George Clooney.

LMAO! :D
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    If you look at the history of the category, the Academy has been nominating multiple songs from the same film for 20 years or more. It is not a new phenomenon.

Not saying it is justified, but it has become a somewhat accepted tradition for this award.

yeah its really no shock and im kind of happy that eddie isnt nominated, floored but happy.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Lollapalooza 2007
    Eddie Vedder 8-22-08
    Chicago 8-23-09
    Chicago 8-24-09

"The love received is the love that is saved" - Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    Meh, it kind of sucks for him, but it is so not even close to some of the bigger robberies when it has come to the academy awards.
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    For people who are getting angry about this, go to google and type in

'marisa tomei oscar'
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Meh, it kind of sucks for him, but it is so not even close to some of the bigger robberies when it has come to the academy awards.

oh buddy dont even get me started .....

the english patient is a better movie than fargo??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

adrain brody was better in the pianist than daniel day lewis in gangs of new york ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

million dollar baby is a better movie than the aviator?!?!?!?!? VOMIT!!!!

clint eastwood has more best director oscars than scorsese?!?!?!?!? VOMIT!!!

and those are all just recently ....

kramer vs fucking kramer?!?!!?!?!?!?!?
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    oh buddy dont even get me started .....

the english patient is a better movie than fargo??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

adrain brody was better in the pianist than daniel day lewis in gangs of new york ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

million dollar baby is a better movie than the aviator?!?!?!?!? VOMIT!!!!

clint eastwood has more best director oscars than scorsese?!?!?!?!? VOMIT!!!

and those are all just recently ....

kramer vs fucking kramer?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

The brutalist three that I can remember:
    LA Confidnetial losing to Titanic in 1998
    Shawshank Redemption losing to Forrest Gump in 1994
    Goodfellas losing to Dances with Wolves in 1991

Not to mention Master and Commander losing to The Lord of the Rings in 2004.

Eddie not getting nominated does not even come close to that level of shafting.
  • Options

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Someone tell the "new" Daniel Day Lewis that shouting does not an actor make. Dial it down already.
  • Options
    PJ17MKDPJ17MKD Posts: 136
    read this:

http://www.mp3.com/news/stories/10725.html

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/01/oscar-rules-snu.html - earlier today when i checked on imdb.com , Into The Wild's orignal score was on the list of nominees and i remember i cheered and talked with my brother about the fact that Eddie is definitely going to the Oscars :) ... later today when i checked back it was replaced by some other movie(as much as i remember - it is Kite Runner or Michael Clayton)... not fair at all...

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20080122/BLOG21/497855768

I kinda understand about Jonny Greenwood but i am not sad that Eddie didn't get a nomination considering the nominees - Pop songs and Disney songs :p:D...