Tom Petty on TOUR(possible PJ Appearance?)

Why_GoWhy_Go Posts: 87
edited January 2008 in The Porch
check this out just saw it on TP site.

http://tompetty.com/tour/tour.html

What do ya think, Eddie making a special appearance at one of The Gorge shows?
my eyes peeled both wide open, and i got a glimpse
of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    All I know is that if you have not seen Petty live, you need to. By far one of the best "big" concerts I've been to.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    pathetic
    Red Lukin wrote:
    pathetic

Just wondering if you have actually seen Petty live?
  • Chris1401 wrote:
    All I know is that if you have not seen Petty live, you need to. By far one of the best "big" concerts I've been to.

Or just put on his greatest hits cd. hehehe :D

I have seen him with and without PJ opening up for him. He does put on a great show. But PJ blew him out of the water both nites in Milwaukee in 2006. The amount of time he took in between each song he played. PJ could have played 5-10 more songs both nites.
    Or just put on his greatest hits cd. hehehe :D

I have seen him with and without PJ opening up for him. He does put on a great show. But PJ blew him out of the water both nites in Milwaukee in 2006. The amount of time he took in between each song he played. PJ could have played 5-10 more songs both nites.

Your responses are very true. He does play two hours of all "hits".

And it's hard to win the battle royal of concerts with PJ....
  • Chris1401 wrote:
    Your responses are very true. He does play two hours of all "hits".

The first nite in Milwaukee I was pist at the Petty fans. They gave no love to PJ.
    He played Summerfest a few yrs back on the 4th of July. It was humid as hell but dam he played a great show. ''It's good to be King'' I love when he plays that.

I wouldn't doubt if he plays Summerfest again this year. He has a huge fan base here. And I see on his tour dates he could pencil in a stop here.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    so we paid extra to see short sets last tour because it was Petty's farewell tour....fucking figures
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Chris1401 wrote:
    Just wondering if you have actually seen Petty live?

No I haven't, in fact he probably puts on a great show. What's seeing him live have to do with anything?
  • Red Lukin wrote:
    No I haven't, in fact he probably puts on a great show. What's seeing him live have to do with anything?

Who or what were you refering to as pathetic?
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I think Ed will definitely be at a ton of these shows. He will interupt Tom and play acoustic guitar for 4 hours.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• hrd2imgn wrote:
    so we paid extra to see short sets last tour because it was Petty's farewell tour....fucking figures

No it wasn't... It wasn't billed as a farewell tour. It was his 30th anniversary tour.
  • Chris1401 wrote:

I was bored out of my mind both times I saw Petty. What does he do other than long guitar solos that are any different than his records (besides to continually rot right before your eyes on stage)? If you are really a big Petty fan (which I assume you are) I'm sure your opinion is different on the subject but as a casual fan his concerts are by no means something special.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,472
    ive seen him twice and he does put on a great show

but why would anyone think that there would be a possible PJ appearance just because petty announced a tour?
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,547
    Chris1401 wrote:
    He does play two hours of all "hits".

When you have a 30-year catalog of music to pull from and you're a rock legend, it's very hard NOT to play two hours of "all hits".

That's like saying, "I went to see Bob Dylan and it sucked because he only played his hit songs."

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • I'm a huge Tom Petty fan with PJ a close second.

A Tom Petty concert is just as good as a Pearl Jam concert. The intensity is just as high, the audience participation is just as loud, and the musicianship is just as good as Pearl Jam's.

The only thing PJ does better than Petty is change up their setlist. Petty's will be almost the exact same setlist in every town.

As far as Petty just playing hits, I don't think so. He digs deep into his cataloge. "It's Good to be King", "Cabin Down Below", and "Even the Losers" were not smash hits. ETL wasn't even released as a single, just like "Black" wasn't. Also, he can't help it if he has about 30 so called hits. I will agree though, that it would be nice for him to change up the setlist from town to town.

I was at the Denver concert when PJ opened for Petty. And yes, they opened for Petty because of Petty's 30th anniversary. It never was billed as a co-headline. Both fans were respectful to the other band. The only disrespect was from people on this message board. There were all kinds of lies on this board from people saying hundreds of people walked out when Petty came on to how bad Petty actually sounded. None of that was true. It was one of the best concerts I've been to.
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,633
    Wonder if PJ start doing this? I hope so!!!!

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are hitting the road and want to invite their hard-working fans to feel like a star. Tickets are going to go fast, so secure your premium seats by getting the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' "Dream Package". Each package includes:

- One premium reserved ticket located within the first 15 rows of the stage
    - Exclusive Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers 'Dream' Shirt
    - Coupon good for $25 off any purchase from the official Tom Petty online store
    - Copy of "Runnin' Down a Dream" - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Hardcover Book
    - Exclusive Download of the new Mudcrutch album

This exclusive package is sure to sell out, so don't delay. Get your Dream Package today!

Package is $160 over final ticket price.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2