The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    booomm11 wrote:
    Holy War tonight

Let's go... eh I don't care. It'd be pretty shocking if Nova doesn't blow them out.

Mediocre start for the Owls. Big game at Maryland Sunday.

the war is over and so is the hawk.

your squad better start putting the ball in the basket dude...

st joes had a nice run towards the end for the backdoor cover. nice work hawks
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    The Fixer wrote:

the war is over and so is the hawk.

your squad better start putting the ball in the basket dude...

st joes had a nice run towards the end for the backdoor cover. nice work hawks

19.5 was a ridiculous number for a big 5 game.
    chinese-happy.jpg

true. You guys know how I feel about nova...my hatred aside, I think they are kinda overrated. I know it's early in the year, but I've watched them play a few times now and I think they are gonna struggle once conference play starts. I'm not saying they are gonna stink, but I don't think they are a top 10-15 team nationally.
    The Fixer wrote:

true. You guys know how I feel about nova...my hatred aside, I think they are kinda overrated. I know it's early in the year, but I've watched them play a few times now and I think they are gonna struggle once conference play starts. I'm not saying they are gonna stink, but I don't think they are a top 10-15 team nationally.

yup. initially 6 was waaaay too high. no chance of them remotely stinking. they need time to jell. once march comes around they should be a better team than they were last march. finally got a front court to go with what should be one of the nation's best back courts. once they get pinkston up and running...look out.

edit--also usually jay wright's team build over the course of the year. takes them a couple months. last year was just different all around.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    The Fixer wrote:

yup. initially 6 was waaaay too high. no chance of them remotely stinking. they need time to jell. once march comes around they should be a better team than they were last march. finally got a front court to go with what should be one of the nation's best back courts. once they get pinkston up and running...look out.

edit--also usually jay wright's team build over the course of the year. takes them a couple months. last year was just different all around.

yeah, that's my main point. they are pretty young. wright is a good coach, so I'm sure they will improve as the year goes on. I'd predict them as being a 4-5 seed come tourney time.

If fisher isn't hitting from the outside (which is 50/50)...nova's offense will struggle
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah, that's my main point. they are pretty young. wright is a good coach, so I'm sure they will improve as the year goes on. I'd predict them as being a 4-5 seed come tourney time.

If fisher isn't hitting from the outside (which is 50/50)...nova's offense will struggle

this team should be better than a 5 seed. that would be disappointing.

GO CATS
    chinese-happy.jpg

GO CATS

I think 4-6 is where they'll end up. A 5 seed means they are ranked somewhere around 15-20, which is where I think they end up.

still early, so I could end up being 100% wrong on this one. we'll see.
    The Fixer wrote:

GO CATS

I think 4-6 is where they'll end up. A 5 seed means they are ranked somewhere around 15-20, which is where I think they end up.

still early, so I could end up being 100% wrong on this one. we'll see.

my point is if that is the case, the season would be a bit disappointing. if the team finishes as strong as wright's teams usually do, they should be higher. the nova name recognition now comes into play too as we saw last year. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Jaegs I agree with the Fixer on this one. This Nova team is over rated right now. I think as of now they are probably 5th best in the Big East. Not enough depth either. If pinkston is thrown out of school, which is what i've been hearing, they really only have 8 healthy scholarship players. that is going to wear them down in the big east. they are something like 300-and something in 3-point percentage right now. other than Stokes they can't make 3s and Yarou and Pena are turnover machines.
    pjhawks wrote:
    Jaegs I agree with the Fixer on this one. This Nova team is over rated right now. I think as of now they are probably 5th best in the Big East. Not enough depth either. If pinkston is thrown out of school, which is what i've been hearing, they really only have 8 healthy scholarship players. that is going to wear them down in the big east. they are something like 300-and something in 3-point percentage right now. other than Stokes they can't make 3s and Yarou and Pena are turnover machines.

rough year for your hawks ahead dude. that is a young ass team. how much leash does martelli have at this point? i kind of thought he would have been able to build upon those jameer nelson years better than he has.

yeah. you agree with me about nova too then. i've been saying they are overrated at this point (check my first post in this thread). 6 was waaaay too high. and though its flattering si had them 3 ;) , that is just ridiculous. i'm hoping that pinkston rumor is not true. it's a lot of gossip at this point. if it is, then that obviously changes everything. dude's a mcdonald's all american. supposed to be one of the best freshman in the conference and was supposed to get a lot of minutes this year. that said, he was with the team and participated in warm ups on friday for the first time all year.

nova looks shaky at best right now. they let that game on friday get too close. but then they basically played with just 6 players (sutton and armstrong were out). gotta have confidence fisher and wayns will find their shot. yarou and pena are just turning it over 1 time each per game. yarou's essentially still a freshman at this point. he'll be a beast by the end of the year/next year. team's gotta play better defensively. nova team's usually start off like this. they'll probably struggle through january then find their groove in february. at least that's the plan :mrgreen: . at any rate, i fully expect nova to be the last big 5 team standing again. we'll see. college basketball is awesome.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Tough win for the Owls over Maryland yesterday, but we'll take it. Road wins against ACC teams are big for a program stuck in the A-10. It's really frustrating to watch Dunphy sit there while his team blows a 15-point lead, never calling a timeout. It'll be hard to win a tourney game if your coach is that stubborn. The other problem with this team is they have practically no bench.

Anyways, enough complaining - big win over Maryland. Big game vs. G-Town on Thursday - they are 8-0. Let's Go Owls!!!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Tough win for the Owls over Maryland yesterday, but we'll take it. Road wins against ACC teams are big for a program stuck in the A-10. It's really frustrating to watch Dunphy sit there while his team blows a 15-point lead, never calling a timeout. It'll be hard to win a tourney game if your coach is that stubborn. The other problem with this team is they have practically no bench.

Anyways, enough complaining - big win over Maryland. Big game vs. G-Town on Thursday - they are 8-0. Let's Go Owls!!!

isn't tony deleio's son like the 2nd guy off the owls bench?
    chinese-happy.jpg

Yeah, that's how it looks. It was disastrous last night when Fernandez sat down and DiLeo came in. That lasted about 2 minutes, maybe.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Jaegs - Martelli isn't going anywhere anytime soon. he will be given at least 3 more years. if he doesn't win with this freshman class then i think it will be time. but seeing this freshman class he will win with this class. this is the best class they've ever had that i've seen and i've been a fan forever. they've never had a class with more than 1 or 2 good players and this one has 5. All 5 freshman will be good to great A10 players by mid-next year. i am sure of it , barring injury. that's hot talented these freshman are. they will have ups and downs this year for sure but i suspect by A10 tourny time this year they will be a good team and could be real good after that.

Temple - huge win on sunday for the Owls. Needed a good win to get them going. This helps a lot and should help them take off hopefully just in time to kick nova's ass again.

LaSalle - killer loss to Okla. State on sunday. had the game in their hands apparantly and let it get away and lost in double ot. still searching for a big momentum win. i guess when you haven't been in post-season in over a decade you have to learn to win again. this team is much improved in looks like but needs a win over a really good team to get them going. like above hopefully then can get it in gear and kick nova's ass next weekend.

Yeah, that's how it looks. It was disastrous last night when Fernandez sat down and DiLeo came in. That lasted about 2 minutes, maybe.

nova's got maryland in january.

well it looks like pinkston is suspended until june. that really sucks for nova's depth. he was expected to have a big impact on this team. at least they can redshirt him.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Awesome W over Georgetown last night! That's 2 down, 1 to go vs. Big East. It's a shame the Nova schmucks keep us out of that conference. That game was a lot of fun. Sure beats playing Fordham & Richmond. Temple is just a perfect fit for the Big East, in every way.

I guess I'm the only Temple fan who's in Ten Club. Oh well.

Awesome W over Georgetown last night! That's 2 down, 1 to go vs. Big East. It's a shame the Nova schmucks keep us out of that conference. That game was a lot of fun. Sure beats playing Fordham & Richmond. Temple is just a perfect fit for the Big East, in every way.

great win for the Owls. Moore was awesome. the steal when he was on his ass was classic. season started kind of slow but big wins over Maryland and Georgetown will go a long way come march. just got to beat nova next.

and for gamblers out there look for LaSalle sunday vs. nova. nova is ready to implode with chemistry issues and lack of depth. i like la salle to win the game outright but if the spread is over 7 I'd jump all over La Salle. I think the spread will be around Nova -9 to -11 in that range.

yeah that was a great win last night man.

if the roles were reversed, temple wouldn't want nova in the big east. it is what it is.

less than 3 weeks till nova/temple :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    pjhawks wrote:

great win for the Owls. Moore was awesome. the steal when he was on his ass was classic. season started kind of slow but big wins over Maryland and Georgetown will go a long way come march. just got to beat nova next.

and for gamblers out there look for LaSalle sunday vs. nova. nova is ready to implode with chemistry issues and lack of depth. i like la salle to win the game outright but if the spread is over 7 I'd jump all over La Salle. I think the spread will be around Nova -9 to -11 in that range.

if you like them outright, jump on them whatever the line is dude.

lasalle's playing well this year.

no lasalle fans in here?!?! :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg

if the roles were reversed, temple wouldn't want nova in the big east. it is what it is.

i'm not sure how it worked out, but Temple & St. Joe's didn't seem to have any problems with letting LaSalle into the A-10. I'm sure there are plenty of good b-ball players in Philly to stock 2 Big East programs.

I really am jealous of playing those good teams all the time. Thursday night was a great atmosphere. That place is usually dead, and it's such a great arena.

I think we take it in the Pavillion this year. :D Pretty sure I'll be there; gotta check on that.

i'm not sure how it worked out, but Temple & St. Joe's didn't seem to have any problems with letting LaSalle into the A-10. I'm sure there are plenty of good b-ball players in Philly to stock 2 Big East programs.

I really am jealous of playing those good teams all the time. Thursday night was a great atmosphere. That place is usually dead, and it's such a great arena.

I think we take it in the Pavillion this year. :D Pretty sure I'll be there; gotta check on that.

you're comparing apples to oranges with the a10 and the big east. from a recruiting standpoint, it would make sense that nova would want the philly market all to themselves. but there's a lot more to the big east passing over temple than just nova not wanting them.

i've always thought temple should try to make a play for the acc.

i think it will be a great game. you'll certainly be catching nova at the right time of year for an upset. if i don't end up going, i will be shit faced at the bar watching with a bunch of temple/nova fans. good times. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    lotta respect for this lasalle team. nova is the 3rd top 25 team they've taken down to the wire already. they should do well in the a10 this year. wouldn't be surprised to see them bubbling come selection sunday.

the big 5 is awesome.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Was at (of course) the Akron-Temple game yesterday. These MAC teams are just awful. Owls closed the 1st half with a 30-5 run.

Can't wait to see LaSalle (is the S capitalized?) in early March.

lotta respect for this lasalle team. nova is the 3rd top 25 team they've taken down to the wire already. they should do well in the a10 this year. wouldn't be surprised to see them bubbling come selection sunday.

the big 5 is awesome.

you don't get points for being close. Nova stunk again yesterday except for the last 4 minutes and at the foul line. good teams don't blow 9 point leads at home with under 5 minutes to play (even with a shitty non-call on sutton's block leading to a ridiculous touch-foul 3-point play for wayns to give nova the lead with just over a minute left). lasalle is a losing program that just can't get over the hump. nova has serious holes right now. nova looking like a mid-pack big east team at this point. lack of depth and lousy outside shooting. temple should smoke them but someone needs to wake Lavoy Allen up and tell him he could be an all-american if he actually decided to dominate teams.
    pjhawks wrote:

the big 5 is awesome.

you don't get points for being close. Nova stunk again yesterday except for the last 4 minutes and at the foul line. good teams don't blow 9 point leads at home with under 5 minutes to play (even with a shitty non-call on sutton's block leading to a ridiculous touch-foul 3-point play for wayns to give nova the lead with just over a minute left). lasalle is a losing program that just can't get over the hump. nova has serious holes right now. nova looking like a mid-pack big east team at this point. lack of depth and lousy outside shooting. temple should smoke them but someone needs to wake Lavoy Allen up and tell him he could be an all-american if he actually decided to dominate teams.

come on man. you gotta give lasalle some credit. they don't have the talent/experience to really beat times like nova, mizzou, ok state etc etc etc, but the battled to the end......those are all good losses for them. i'll be pulling for them in the a10. i pull for all the big 5'ers except when they're playing the cats.

temple/nova will be a dog fight. really looking forward to it.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    pjhawks wrote:

the big 5 is awesome.

pjhawks, nice call on lasalle plus the points. I didn't watch any of that game, but lasalle looked to cover pretty easily. I forgot to put that bet in...I agree that nova is overrated. cory fisher can't shoot the ball. keep him out of the paint and nova is beatable

let me know if you come across any other games that you like. I put a few college bets in on saturday...I will start betting on more games once conference play starts in january.
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

the big 5 is awesome.

pjhawks, nice call on lasalle plus the points. I didn't watch any of that game, but lasalle looked to cover pretty easily. I forgot to put that bet in...I agree that nova is overrated. cory fisher can't shoot the ball. keep him out of the paint and nova is beatable

let me know if you come across any other games that you like. I put a few college bets in on saturday...I will start betting on more games once conference play starts in january.

will do. absolutely love college hoops and pretty much watch any and all that i can especially once conference play begins. nothing better than sunday night acc hoops and big monday double-headers.
    johnny a---obviously rankings mean nothing now and i realize maryland isn't great this year, but after beating them and gtown, i'd have thought temple would hop back into the top 25. weird...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    johnny a---obviously rankings mean nothing now and i realize maryland isn't great this year, but after beating them and gtown, i'd have thought temple would hop back into the top 25. weird...

I'd have thought that too, but they seem to play better as an unranked team, so I won't complain. As long as the Committee doesn't throw us a big middle finger again this year...

Temple is at Ohio tonight, not on TV. These MAC games suck ass.

8 days 'til Temple-Nova!

Page 6 - I lost my thread!

I'd have thought that too, but they seem to play better as an unranked team, so I won't complain. As long as the Committee doesn't throw us a big middle finger again this year...

Temple is at Ohio tonight, not on TV. These MAC games suck ass.

8 days 'til Temple-Nova!

Page 6 - I lost my thread!

...still trying to get tickets. not looking good at this point. :x
    chinese-happy.jpg