Options

negativity surrounding bonnaroo

Comments

• Options
    Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    EvilRabbit wrote:
    I like traveling to see Pearl Jam. But I don't like festivals nor do I have any desire whatsoever to visit Tennessee (no offense).

I'm hoping they announce more dates. I'd love to visit Portland or Seattle again. The Gorge was well worth making a trip for.

amen...festivals are not for people truly all about seeing pearl jam....ive been to bonnaroo...i saw PJ at lolla...but seeing Pearl Jam a few times at their own shows absolutely trumps any festival PJ could play at and Im not sure how anyone could argue that quite honestly...i guess thats my personal preference but id rather sit upper deck in an arena and see my band play a full kick ass set to fans who are there to see PEARL JAM....rather then some cluster fuck in the dead heat of summer....if you like seeing PJ outside in the summer catch them at the gorge or catch them at an amp....im not even in the west or midwest but alpine valley/gorge/or any other PJ show would be better...im bummed they aren't doing a regular tour....even if its a mini-tour....hell, im in europe until aug so i wouldnt see them in the states anyway but there is no comparison to following PJ for a week (many of you lucky bastards have done longer then that) and getting to see PEARL JAM exclusively rock out...none of this shortened mainstream festival shit....and I know im bitching...so what....they are better when they do their own tour so hopefully that will happen sometime within the year and im sure it will...i guess we have to be patient...but im still not a fan of the this festival trend.
  • Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    Isnt the purpose of a music and arts festival to introduce you to that which you normally would not check out voluntarily? There will be things, other than music, to check out when a band is playing which you may not like. I wish the negativity would cease. If more shows are announced, more shows are announced and all will be happy.

i have bumbershoot and sasquatch for that....driving distance
  • Options
    mensane wrote:
    i have bumbershoot and sasquatch for that....driving distance

Ditto. And I like quite a few of the bands playing... and I could do a hotel... but no. I hope everyone that goes enjoys themselves, though! Here's hoping for a hometown show.

mensane, I met you at Bridge. "It's not MEN-SANE, it's me-insane!" Hee. :)

~peace~
    Never allow someone to be your Priority,
    While allowing yourself to be their Option.

‹^›_‹(ô¿ô)›_‹^›

Please visit daily: www.theanimalrescuesite.com
  • Options
    The chance to see PJ outweighs any negatives that I have seen posted.
    Atlanta 92
    Columbia 08
    Atlanta 12
    Charlotte 13
    St Louis 14
    Greenville 16
    St Louis 22
    Seattle 24
  • Options
    brandon10brandon10 Posts: 1,114
    Rossum20 wrote:
    amen...festivals are not for people truly all about seeing pearl jam....ive been to bonnaroo...i saw PJ at lolla...but seeing Pearl Jam a few times at their own shows absolutely trumps any festival PJ could play at and Im not sure how anyone could argue that quite honestly...i guess thats my personal preference but id rather sit upper deck in an arena and see my band play a full kick ass set to fans who are there to see PEARL JAM....rather then some cluster fuck in the dead heat of summer....if you like seeing PJ outside in the summer catch them at the gorge or catch them at an amp....im not even in the west or midwest but alpine valley/gorge/or any other PJ show would be better...im bummed they aren't doing a regular tour....even if its a mini-tour....hell, im in europe until aug so i wouldnt see them in the states anyway but there is no comparison to following PJ for a week (many of you lucky bastards have done longer then that) and getting to see PEARL JAM exclusively rock out...none of this shortened mainstream festival shit....and I know im bitching...so what....they are better when they do their own tour so hopefully that will happen sometime within the year and im sure it will...i guess we have to be patient...but im still not a fan of the this festival trend.

It's funny how mis-informed people are about Bonnaroo. This may very well end up being one

of PJ's most spectacular shows EVER!!! It's not like a regular festival. Headliners don't have time

constraints!! They may very well play up to FOUR hours!! A real possibility. I think that's a big

part of why they choose to make this festival their ONE show for the year. You heard me right,

they wont be playing anywhere else. You may get the odd warm up show or special

appearance, but there certainly will not be a tour this summer. And that's straight from Jeff

Aments mouth. I am glad all the whiners and complainers won't be there. More fun for me,

and a better chance to get FRONT ROW Mikes side
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,812
    scot88 wrote:
    how much of the negativity surrounding bonnaroo is from people that have no means of getting there?

to be honest, i complained like hell when they played lolla last year, but that's only because i had no way of going. now that i can go to bonnaroo, my attitude has changed completely.

so all you haters out there, fess up.
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=269322
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    Brandon10, what does "looking forward to a busy year" mean to you? Busy doing what? Their taxes? Playing golf? Just asking...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    people are negative beccause they want to see pearl jam at their own shows. They would rather see the whole tour announced at once so that they dont spend a lot more money on a festival/camping as opposed to an own show.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    brandon10brandon10 Posts: 1,114
    Brandon10, what does "looking forward to a busy year" mean to you? Busy doing what? Their taxes? Playing golf? Just asking...

It means writing an album, promoting an album. Some appearances(maybe vote for change, maybe Bridge school, maybe some others). BONNAROOOOOOO!!!! Movie appearances, side projects, campaigning, who knows? But I would be willing to bet the TENNESSEE farm that there will be no tour this summer. But I would bet that same farm on an album late in the year or early next year and a HUGE tour next year.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Foxy Mop wrote:

wow is that the same email that had the big, bold and free comment along with the releasing of more vault shows??? ;)

a busy year could mean anything...
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Bonnaroo is a great chance for you to expand your horizons. I am simply stunned by how close minded some PJ fans are behaving.

BUMP
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • Options
    say if they do tour within the year or next spring do they always play the gorge when they go to Washington? or is it just a special thing they do every once in a while?
    Be good to Rock n Roll and Rock n Roll will be good to you. -Priceless Rock Wisdom-

LA 7-9-06
    Can't wait to add more shows...
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    wow is that the same email that had the big, bold and free comment along with the releasing of more vault shows??? ;)

a busy year could mean anything...

Nope.. came just a few weeks ago!

Original Message
    From: donotreply@tenclub.net [mailto:donotreply@tenclub.net]
    Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 6:06 PM
    To: Foxy Mop
    Subject: Greetings from The Ten Club

Dear 10c member-

Happy New Year!

We're all really excited about 2008 and we really hope you are, too. While it's still too early to make any big announcements, we want to let you all know that the band is looking forward to a busy year ...

In the meantime, we wanted to let you know about a special opportunity to purchase a VERY limited edition of Eddie Vedder's "Into the Wild" on vinyl. The vinyl pre-sale starts January 14th at 10am Pacific only at http://www.tenclub.net.com, and the limited stock is available only while supplies last. Visit http://www.tenclub.net/news to read more about it!

Remember, you can also check out Eddie's video of "Guaranteed" from "Into the Wild" at http://www.vh1.com.

Cheers, Ten Club Staff.
    Wishlist Foundation

♥♥♥
  • Options
    i love festivals, Tennessee and love to seem them there, i just worry about the whole political thing.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Foxy Mop wrote:
    Nope.. came just a few weeks ago!

yeah i know... i even did a winkie.. i even put the things we have been told were happening but never ever did in bold for sarcastic effect.. and all to no avail... you still missed it!!!!

:D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    yeah i know... i even did a winkie.. i even put the things we have been told were happening but never ever did in bold for sarcastic effect.. and all to no avail... you still missed it!!!!

:D

lol...um..i just woke up so I'm not on the ball yet...yeah.. that's my excuse :):p
    Wishlist Foundation

♥♥♥
  • Options
    I'm going to be stinky, sweaty, muddy, shittin in the woods, fuckin in the campgrounds, high as a kite and dancing my hippy ass off...

And you know what?

I'm probably not going to miss any of you armchair PJ fans...

Stay away.... You NEED airconditioning...

This is not for you.

Me and my other toothless southern friends will have plenty of city folk to have butt sex with...

You won't be missed...
    the Minions
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i think its more about having the means... but prefering to spend those means on individual PJ shows this year instead of roo... we just dont know if those shows are gonna happen yet... not to mention the roo lineup is not particularly great... if i was in TN already i could probably justify it... but i dont wanna make the trip for something im not in 100%

Exactly. The land of The Grand Ole Opry is last place I want to see PJ share the stage.

Hell, I wouldn't go there if PJ was playing their own show and it was the only one of the year.
    fuck the public
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    if I wanted to see a festival I could go to one of the many festivals which are closer to me on the east coast. And guess what??? most if not all of the "inventive, different and radical" musicians which are playing Bonnaroo will also be playing other festivals.... guess why??? because they need festivals and a wide range of music to appeal to many people. Plant/Krauss will be touring all over the US so them and PJ or MMJ certainly don't make this the "can't miss event of the summer".

Sorry but people have different musical tastes besides PJ.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:

Sorry but people have different musical tastes besides PJ.

Impossible. ;)
    fuck the public
  • Options
    skere26skere26 Posts: 304
    My negativity stems from the exorbitant cost it will take to actually go..
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,422
    I am not the sort of fella to camp out, but, as someone who has been to Coachella every year, I think it is totally worth it to experience a big festival. You'd be surprised as to how many bands you may like after seeing them live.

Big festivals are more then just music...they are about a sense of community, people watching, and escaping the real world for a weekend.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I have no problem seing them at a festival, they may be playing a few festivals this year. SXSW still has not been annouced, and I am not planning on going to that one either, as well as there is still Virgin Fest in DC/Baltimore and the new All Points West festival in NJ/NY(or Coachella east I guess). I am willing to gamble on a few other shows poping up rather than drop a grand on this one. Congrats to every one going to bonnaroo.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I am not the sort of fella to camp out, but, as someone who has been to Coachella every year, I think it is totally worth it to experience a big festival. You'd be surprised as to how many bands you may like after seeing them live.

Big festivals are more then just music...they are about a sense of community, people watching, and escaping the real world for a weekend.

Exactly correct.

Also you have the option of staying at a hotel and driving in each day if you don't want to camp.

People who say there is nothing to see other then PJ are already trippin balls and they aren't even at the roo yet. If I go I'm down to see All headliners EVEN KANYE. (Love Graduation...Here's to the Good Life) Plus Plant and Krause, the Fucking Allman Bro's, MMJ, Talib and Lupe for some Hip Hop, PHIL LESH and FRIENDS jamming some Dead stuff. Plus the Super Jam which always kick ass. Maybe you people need more diverse ears as I'm even down for Mastadon!

My main issue is convincing my festival hating friends and girlfriend to go with me.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,422
    Exactly correct.

Also you have the option of staying at a hotel and driving in each day if you don't want to camp.

People who say there is nothing to see other then PJ are already trippin balls and they aren't even at the roo yet. If I go I'm down to see All headliners EVEN KANYE. (Love Graduation...Here's to the Good Life) Plus Plant and Krause, the Fucking Allman Bro's, MMJ, Talib and Lupe for some Hip Hop, PHIL LESH and FRIENDS jamming some Dead stuff. Plus the Super Jam which always kick ass. Maybe you people need more diverse ears as I'm even down for Mastadon!

My main issue is convincing my festival hating friends and girlfriend to go with me.

Maybe if they add Candlebox, people would get excited, since so many are stuck in the 90s!
    :)
  • Options
    OdinOdin Posts: 599
    No hate here. Sounds like an awesome lineup with PJ, Metallica, Mastodon, Kanye, Lupe, Talib Kweli, etc. It's too bad last year's Bonnaroo didn't have this lineup cuz I'll be in Europe and Asia this summer and I'm not changing my plans for a fucking concert.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I'm going to be stinky, sweaty, muddy, shittin in the woods, fuckin in the campgrounds, high as a kite and dancing my hippy ass off...

And you know what?

I'm probably not going to miss any of you armchair PJ fans...

Stay away.... You NEED airconditioning...

This is not for you.

Me and my other toothless southern friends will have plenty of city folk to have butt sex with...

You won't be missed...

thats funny actually

the negativity is towards the lack of other info

not towards the festival, which has a great lineup
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,251
    No matter what they do people bitch and moan!
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    No matter what they do people bitch and moan!
    oh quit your fucking bitching already..........

heheheheheeheheh...........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....