Mad Season - Above

jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,486
edited December 2007 in The Porch
Seen this album on the pearl jam website since forever...finally downloaded it - Must say, im really quite impressed with this album!!! - Any thoughts??
"Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Come on, it's Mike and Layne!

Of course its good!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,833
    maybe you should have bought it?
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Still Mike's shining moment, in my opinion.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • One of my favorite, all-time albums!
    Dallas '98 - Dallas '00 - OKC '03 - Dallas '03

www.myspace.com/lance_gray

www.bonafidedarling.com
  • I asked Santa Clause for it this year!
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • its alright. nothing special.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    its alright. nothing special.

i agree. there are some dynamite tracks on there, but it would have made a better ep. there's a decent amount of filler. november hotel is worth the price tag though.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    watch the live show at Moore theatre on youtube. its even better than the album
  • One of my top 5 albums EVER.
    I agree with JordyWordy. Get the live at the more video. That's some special stuff right there.
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • Absolutely love the deep, heavy, blues sound...R.I.P. Mr. Layne Staley
  • This is a very very under rated album. I like the way that the songs differ in texture. Some are heavy and sludgy and others are light and rather beautiful.
    This album really shoes the range that Mike and Layne had......very very talented musicians.
  • its alright. nothing special.

I know it's just your opinion, but, you are wrong mister (or ma'am)! *shakes fist*

www.bonafidedarling.com
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,139
    I bought this about a month ago or so not really knowing to much about it other than Mike and Layne were on it and that was good enough for me to try it out. I do enjoy it especially Long Gone Day and River of Deceit .....I do have to admit I was hoping for something a little harder.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    still waiting for it to be listed on Napster
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i agree. there are some dynamite tracks on there, but it would have made a better ep. there's a decent amount of filler. november hotel is worth the price tag though.
    sort of agree too. Wake Up, X-Ray Mind, River of Deciet, Lifeless Dead (live version is better), Long Gone Day, and November Hotel are all awesome.

I Don't Know Anything, I'm Above, and Artificial Red i am not too fond of.

All Alone is somewhere in the middle.

but that's just me.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    Definitely amongst my all-time favorite albums. The production is incredible...Layne's vocals and Mike's guitar just soar. AND Mark Lanegan. Live at the Moore needs a DVD release and they should empty the vault if any other material is kicking around.
  • amazing album, no doubt. layne was a brilliant singer. and mike, pshh he is unbelievable on that album.

best three bands of all time:

1. pearl jam
    2. soundgarden
    3. alice in chains

any collaborations between guys from these bands will be gold.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • GR8DaneGR8Dane Posts: 957
    Top ten of my all time favorites fo sure.....
    Everybody made a movie....
    Everybody had a one line.....
    Everybody misses Andy....
    We'll be seeing him in no time.... Oh Yeah.....

We are Red, we are White, we are Danish Dynamite!
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    where you been bro?

Mad Season- amazing
    Temple Of the Dog- Amazing
    Brad- Amazing
    Bayleaf- Amazing
    Three Fish- pretty good
    never heard Mikes stuff.

Above and TOTD are two of the best albums of the movement.

better late than never. welcome aboard.....
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    never heard Mikes stuff.
    I'm confused by this statement as Mad Season is Mike's stuff.
  • Great album, Wake Up is one of the only songs that was over 6 minutes and I didn't even notice, which is a good thing
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • my favorite album from the nineties. still play it alot too. looking at a fully signed and legit copy of the vinyl on my wall :)
  • River of Deceit might be the best guitar riff Mike ever wrote.

And I don't say that lightly.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Watching the Moore show right now. Favorite tunes would be Lifeless Dead and I Don't Know Anything. Good stuff.
  • Great album. Sums up the mood in Seattle at the time it was written
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    its alright. nothing special.

then do tell me what you think is special. one of the reasons why i've got that album is because it was special
  • lance_gray wrote:
    One of my favorite, all-time albums!

same
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • As depressing as the album is, it's comfort music to me. It reminds me of when I was a teenager.
  • As depressing as the album is, it's comfort music to me. It reminds me of when I was a teenager.

It's also a great stoner album! Believe me, me and my friends wore that CD out back in the day.

www.bonafidedarling.com
  • One of my favorites, great camping album.

I love Mike's guitar work, I wish he had this kind of artistic freedom in PJ, with long solos, rich textures....What an amazing album.
    You can hear Mike tear it apart in November Hotel! I love River of Decept, Wake Up, Long gone day...amazing shit.

I love the live video concert as well...one of my fave concert videos...