Do you think Ed being snubbed has.....

pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
edited January 2008 in The Porch
I was thinking about this last night as I was watching the awards show.

I use the term snubbed very loosely, as I do think the other artists deserve to win just as much as he.

However, do you think that him not winning, or being overlooked could have anything to do with his speeches at prior awards shows? I mean, we all know how he feels about awards and art and all that and they "dont mean anything". We also know that it took Penn a looong time to get any significant awards because he is so outspoken, and the suits that put on these shows want everyone to jump up and down like it is the be all end all of awards. So do you think they didnt vote for him because of his reaction, or what he might say??

I am sure that him being around is two-fold. He is showing support for Sean and the movie, and I am sure deep down, he(like everyone else) likes to be acknowledged for their acheivements, and people do change as I am sure ed is more comfortable in his own skin, but I couldnt help but wonder....

So could this have anything to do with it? Discuss....
Never, ever, flipping forget
"Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I'm sure he had a great time.

Eddie seems to enjoy fame more nowadays.
    same goes for Sean, i think he finally showed for the Oscars during Mystic River after being nominated for numerous times before for other films.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • no
    My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
  • I don't really care that the "critics" snubbed him. I like the song and thats all that matters.
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    I mean, we all know how he feels about awards and art and all that and they "dont mean anything". ..

I think it's safe to say that we all know what Ed SAID about awards 13 years ago. He's grown up. I just don't think it's fair to hold someone to something stupid they said in their youth. We've all said dumb things in public...and for you youngsters out there, you will most likely say something really dumb....perhaps not on an internationally broadcast award show, but so what? That isn't even relevant anymore...

Anyway, kids stay the darndest things....and people change...
    be philanthropic
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    I think it's safe to say that we all know what Ed SAID about awards 13 years ago. He's grown up. I just don't think it's fair to hold someone to something stupid they said in their youth. We've all said dumb things in public...and for you youngsters out there, you will most likely say something really dumb....perhaps not on an internationally broadcast award show, but so what? That isn't even relevant anymore...

Anyway, kids stay the darndest things....and people change...

I agree with you, and I am sure ed has changed his view on that as well. I was just asking if you thought that the VOTERS might be thinking about that is all. I guess I should have been more clear. Sorry...

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    I agree with you, and I am sure ed has changed his view on that as well. I was just asking if you thought that the VOTERS might be thinking about that is all. I guess I should have been more clear. Sorry...

I doubt many of these voters were aware of Ed's quote. I bet there are a lot of em who don't even know he is in Pearl Jam.
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Do you suppose that a lot of the voters are not familiar with Ed? Many people in their early or mid-30s don't know who he is or they think Pearl Jam sucks...hence the Guaranteed video and other things showcasing Ed's songwriting and different approach to music...

I'm not so sure they're snubbing him becuase he has been nominated for a few of these awards when so many hundreds of others are not...
    be philanthropic
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    ed doesn't think art doesn't mean anything. the award shows maybe. at least he used to. but people change so much, and ed and sean both are great examples of that. ed is so different now, and he can handle the fame. he is less anti-all now and i think he is pretty respected among stars that know him. i also think that now he would be honored to recieve an award.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • I doubt many of these voters were aware of Ed's quote. I bet there are a lot of em who don't even know he is in Pearl Jam.

I agree. He's relatively insignificant within the film community but here's a timely reminder of his Grammy speech:
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/extendedplay/2008/01/eddie-vedders-a.html
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    I don't think they were afraid of what he'd say - more likely they were afraid of how long it would take him to say it. :P
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    mbangel10 wrote:
    I don't think they were afraid of what he'd say - more likely they were afraid of how long it would take him to say it. :P
    touche. :D
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    who snubbed him?
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    If he feels snubbed, he should grow a set and realize that awards aren't the measure of a person's success or failure in any area of life.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • memememe Posts: 4,693
    mbangel10 wrote:

hmmmmm... uh... hmmm..... ehm..... I...... hmmmmmmm.... uhhhhh.... hmmm...this...... hmmmmmmm........ uhhhhh... award........ hmmmmmm..... uhhhhh doesn't............... hmmmmmm...... hmm... uhhh... mean..... hmmmmmmm uhhhhh.... hmmmm.... anything....
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • I still don't know what the big deal about ed's speech was.

paraphrased a bit.
    "I don't know what this means and I don;t think it means anything..There are too many other bands(giving a nod to the other great bands and this award doesn't mean they are better)...and you have heard all before. My dad would've liked it and that is why I am here."

There have been many other artists who have said the same thing at awards shows, just not in his somber way.

and guess what if you think these award shows do mean anything then you're sadly mistaken.

We all know that %90 of the winners are utter shit.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,770
    mbangel10 wrote:

that's hilarious :D
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    I guess I should have phrased it differently. I DONT think he was snubbed. I should have used a different word. Sorry folks.

What I was really trying to ask was that given his past history at awards shows, do you think he will be overlooked for it. Yes, it is 13 years later and like some have said, most prob dont even know who he is...Anyhow

I was goofy tired when I posted this. Should have thought it through better.

• I don't think he was snubbed...or whatever term you choose.
    I do think award shows and the choice of who wins is based on commercial viability...how many more albums will sell if this person wins over that person??!! It's a numbers games, not about quality necessarily...

It's great to be recognized, nominated and win. But at the end of the day, I think it's more important to be proud of your work and art vs what other people think of you and their interpretation of your art.
    Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation. ~ Nature, Emerson
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    nycslacker wrote:
    I agree. He's relatively insignificant within the film community but here's a timely reminder of his Grammy speech:
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/extendedplay/2008/01/eddie-vedders-a.html
    Ed was right, BUT.. sometimes real thoughts need to be left inside. That was rude and inappropriate for the moment. I'm glad he's grown up.