Across the Universe???

faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Anyone heard anything about this musical movie? Just saw a commercial for it. All Beatles music. Looks rather interesting.
Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dolly rockerdolly rocker Long Beach NY Posts: 343
    yeah, theres no way in hell id ever see that travesty,,its basically jesus christ superstar with the beatles music hahaha
  • DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    I saw the movie. I really enjoyed it. you just gotta not be a psycho who if they don't sing in the exact same key than the beatles it's not worth seeing
  • Ok I saw it at the film festival and I LOVED it!!!!

Its not about the beatles at all...but it is a musical and it is ALL Beatles songs. Its set in mostly NYC during the Vietnam War.
    I definately thing its worth seeing.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • hello :)

rented and watched "Across the Universe" twice this weekend...

i also loved it
    and highly recommend it.
    See it :)

(reminder: it's a musical... in case that turns some people off!)
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • poto101poto101 Posts: 382
    you know most people i know who are actually real beatles fans enjooy this movie.

I sure did, except for the cheesy ending. but they did a damn good job throwing in some history of hte band.

highlights for me were

helter skelter
    happiness is a warm gun
    she's so heavy
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,651
    not a fan so much of the beatles music. but the film i enjoyed alot.
    i'm a sucker for those music/love/war type films
  • The movie is dope!
  • this movie is great! makes me wanna experiment with some drugs too cause im sure that would only make it better! (especially the "for the benefit of mr kite" scene) ;)

check it out! and like someone already mentioned, just be open minded and dont freak out if they dont do the song exactly the same as the beatles... ive heard mixed reviews from different friends for that reason...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • silas23silas23 SoCal Posts: 99
    Watched last night and really liked it! I like how they tied the characters in with the songs. Plus, Bono doing I Am the Walrus is pretty cool!
  • pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    Anyone have or heard the PJ cover of Across the Universe? If so I'd love to hear it.
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • PJ Habit wrote:
    Anyone have or heard the PJ cover of Across the Universe? If so I'd love to hear it.

I haven't heard it either. However it was only ever played 5 times in 93/94, and it was only ever used as a tag for Daughter and Porch.

http://www.pearljam.com/songs/song.php?song=AcrossTheUniverse

I'd be interested in hearing it though, if anyone has a boot of any of those shows.

On a side note, a song used in the movie trailer 'I've Just Seen a Face', was only ever played by PJ once, at the Red Rocks in 95. And I really LOVE Eddies version, although short. I wish they'd play it more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbpVvr17q0A
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    yeah, theres no way in hell id ever see that travesty,,its basically jesus christ superstar with the beatles music hahaha

That's what I thought too. Plus, I find musicals to be so unrealistic that I can almost never enjoy them.

But then I saw it, and to my astonishment (and a little bit, my embarrassment) I really liked it.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.