Options

Operation Disc Drop

Child Of The 90sChild Of The 90s Posts: 526
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Check this out:
http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/blog/drop.html

This sounds like a pretty cool idea to me. Hopefully it works. I think I'll burn something and drop it off tomorrow. I looked at some of the ones listed on here and a bunch of them had pearl jam stuff on them. Hopefully some of you will get into this idea too...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Well, isn't this an awesome idea! I might just do this this weekend...Thanks for the link!
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    This is a fun idea!
  • Options
    i think it will work best if we put the website address or instructions with the cd so that the idea keeps on getting passed on...start a revolution!
  • Options
    What a fucking awesome idea! :D I'm totally going to do this. Like right now. I have to head downtown tomorrow and I actually can think of like 10 different places to drop it. Maybe I'll do a couple. I LOVE this!!!
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    What a fucking awesome idea! :D I'm totally going to do this. Like right now. I have to head downtown tomorrow and I actually can think of like 10 different places to drop it. Maybe I'll do a couple. I LOVE this!!!

crazy, i'm in ottawa too... you might end up finding one of my cds at one point
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Yeah...but you gotta put more than one song on it, One Song Glory!
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    I'm doing this tomorrow. I'm dropping a few off in different places.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I heard about something similar with a book drop. good idea....
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    This is cool, I might burn a stack of discs with just a ton of Pearl Jam and goto the mall and put them in the pockets of jeans at Abercrombie or Hollister.. those kids need real music!
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    Pearl JenPearl Jen Posts: 136
    What a cool thing; if my CD burner worked I would def. do this!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,838
    Cool idea! Might try it out this weekend. :)
    I'll also include some PJ dvd's too! ;)
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    hahha... i did this a couple of months ago...

started a thread about it on the AET, but it didn't catch on... :o:)

it was fun! my disk was found, and released "into the wild" again, in downtown toronto.... :cool:
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    just dropped my disc a few minutes ago, hopefully someone will who appreciates it will get it
  • Options
    I am definitely doing this! Thanks so much for the link!
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I remember him talking about this like 2 or three years ago and thinking it was kind of cool but never bothering to do it, now I feel like I should
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I am totally going to do this! I just hope other people in Seattle will find it. It looks like the website is pretty much exclusive to the great white north.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    Lukin66 wrote:
    I am totally going to do this! I just hope other people in Seattle will find it. It looks like the website is pretty much exclusive to the great white north.

yeah, it's a canadian tv show (has some pretty good clips online though). i'm hoping this trend spreads far and wide...
  • Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    I wanna do this, but I don't think it'd work so well in eastern Pennsylvania like it would in the Toronto area. Can I make a mix and have one of you Canuckers drop it up there for me?
  • Options
    JamilyManJamilyMan Posts: 240
    xkevvx wrote:
    I wanna do this, but I don't think it'd work so well in eastern Pennsylvania like it would in the Toronto area. Can I make a mix and have one of you Canuckers drop it up there for me?

I am in Eastern PA, and I am going to do this. The more people that think it won't work, and don't try to make it work, the less likely it will be that it would work. If you and I both do it, that is a start. I plan on getting a couple of out there this weekend.

PEACE!!!
    For those who scoff at "Jamily" in my name... 9 years ago, when my first daughter was born there were jokes about whether my priority would be my family or PJ. I smiled and quipped "I am a JamilyMan." What was a family joke became a hated term among jammers. Didn't see that one coming!
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    Hey guys! don't worry about not being in Canada... several people from the US and even Europe have done this... as long as you write http://www.cbc.ca/thehour on the CD, anyone can find the site, and read about Operation Disk Drop. The idea is for any random person to find it, hear new music, and then spread it around... it can work anywhere! :D

Don't forget to post your tracklist and your location at http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/blog/2008/11/disc_drop.html#comments
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    JamilyMan wrote:
    I am in Eastern PA, and I am going to do this. The more people that think it won't work, and don't try to make it work, the less likely it will be that it would work. If you and I both do it, that is a start. I plan on getting a couple of out there this weekend.

PEACE!!!

I think you're right...all it takes is for people to give it a shot. since i dropped my cd yesterday there have already been 8 more.
  • Options
    here's what i dropped:

1)The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song - The Flaming Lips
    2)Elias - Dispatch
    3)The Outsiders - R.E.M.
    4)Don't Take Me For Granted - Social Distortion
    5)Here Comes The Regular - The Replacements
    6)Don't Fight About It - Crush Luther
    7)Sweet Mary - Equalizer
    8)First Day of My Life - Bright Eyes
    9)Lola - The Kinks
    10)74-75 - The Connells
    11)Get Back Again - Gord Downie
    12)I Feel Home - O.A.R.
    13)Better Not Look Down - B.B. King
    14)What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
    15)The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkel
    16)I Hung My Head - Johnny Cash
    17)You Belong To Me - Jason Wade
    18)If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out - Cat Stevens
    19)I'm Open - Pearl Jam
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    I might give this a shot next week, figure to drop a few on the NYC subway system or a few of the parks in my neighborhood. Why not?
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    This is awesome
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    I'm gonna do this soon.....
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    wow, just checked the website and somebody put a ton of pearl jam songs on...I assume it was someone from here?