Options

i just had a terrible thought about Bonnaroo...

edited February 2008 in The Porch
its election year. playing in the south. with hippies. This could be the most annoyingly political PJ show ever. I can usually just tune out Ed's drunken rants against the government, but this might be too much to handle.

they will probably play "No More War" (cringe), Bushleaguer is probably automatic.

hell they might even break out "Rock Around Barack", possibly the most embarassing song by PJ ever. Wow, i actually want Obama to lose now so i know this isnt a possiblity.

I really dont know if i want to see this. Could be a great oppurtunity to get my non Pearl Jam friends to see a PJ show, but if its gonna suck I would rather not expose them to it... hmmm i'm not sure i want to go.

(edit: i think some are misunderstanding me. its not so much the political rants, but the possiblity of a show filled with shitty protest songs.)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yeah.. but we also could get Grievance, Green Disease, MASTERS OF WAR!!!, Insignificance, Marker In The Sand.. all great political songs.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Options
    Then it doesn't sound like it's for you. I'd stay at home, just like those that don't like festivals, hippies, the heat, the location, camping out, etc etc etc....

Damn this is enough of these righteous threads...
    the Minions
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I don't care what Ed's rants are about as long as they are touring.
  • Options
    Yeah.. but we also could get Grievance, Green Disease, MASTERS OF WAR!!!, Insignificance, Marker In The Sand.. all great political songs.

Green Disease would be nice.

Oh god, but maybe we'll get "Fired Up and Ready To Go" instead! god how many of these songs are there?!?!

on the plus side this would be prime territory to play some ITW stuff. a little Eddie solo set maybe.
  • Options
    StereotypeStereotype Maribor, Slovenia Posts: 885
    Like "Ed druken rants" (to use your words) weren't mostly very true!
    I sooo wish to hear them again but you on the other hand, ponder with the idea of going because your happy little cotton world might not stay intact by what you call (I assume) your favourite band..
    I understand and I agree - you go to a concert because of the music and not political statements..but music there will be!It is their choice what they say in between the songs.
    I believe their songs wouldn't sound the same without the ideas out of which they sometimes evolve..all that together makes Pearl Jam what they are.
    Funny how what I see as an extra something I like on this band at the same is someone's irritation.
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    pearl jam = political band from DAY ONE.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options

yeah yeah i know.

I can usually stomach one or two little sermons, but this could be a perfect storm of politics and music! In fact, i dont care if he says his mind once or twice in between songs, but if they start playing these terrible songs, then i have a problem.

For the record, if anybody cares, i generally agree with them most of the time. He isn't saying anything i dont already know, and the people that don't know at this point don't want to hear it. But it doesn't matter, regardless of my politics, nobody likes being preached to. I can imagine my friends being annoyed and just wanting to hear music (not political jingles). but this is an old argument and obviously the band disagrees with me. I forgive them :)
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    MrSmith wrote:
    they will probably play "No More War" (cringe), Bushleaguer is probably automatic.
    I have money that says they never play Bushleaguer live again. He's out for sure....there's no need.
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114

I would tend to disagree with this... unless there is proof (other than Storytellers) that Betterman is a politcal song.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    I would tend to disagree with this... unless there is proof (other than Storytellers) that Betterman is a politcal song.

Writing "Pro-Choice" on his arm during Unplugged was a very political statement. Politics are more than government, and Unplugged was in the earlier days of the band.
    For those who scoff at "Jamily" in my name... 9 years ago, when my first daughter was born there were jokes about whether my priority would be my family or PJ. I smiled and quipped "I am a JamilyMan." What was a family joke became a hated term among jammers. Didn't see that one coming!
  • Options
    rmst09rmst09 Posts: 57
    maybe after reading your post they will agre to play Alive and Evenflow over and over so that you and your friends can bring a bench and some dumbbells out in the field and chest press and bicep curls all evening. You never know.
  • Options
    JamilyMan wrote:
    Writing "Pro-Choice" on his arm during Unplugged was a very political statement. Politics are more than government, and Unplugged was in the earlier days of the band.

Agreed but Unplugged wasn't day one.... and I tend to think that the band was a group of musicians who liked playing music in the beginning without much (I said much) thought of politics in their music. Are politics in their music a bad thing? No, inspiration comes from everywhere. Is being beat over the head with political messages at a show (whether PJ or not) a bad thing??? Yes it tends to alienate people and have the opposite effect of drawing awareness, it drives people to tune out.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

• Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    i just don't understand how people can love pearl jam so much but not want to hear what they have to say. i understand the rants can get a little annoying, but the reason i love pj so much is because they're so passionate about their beliefs. that kind of caring is what makes the music so great.
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Eddie's rants during shows are welcomed by me. As a fan, I worship every word he says and then go home and slay 3 chickens in his honor. That said, during the rants, it usually gives me time for a pee break. I drink lots. A problem I know. But I'd rather have to miss the rants than the songs. :D
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    I have money that says they never play Bushleaguer live again. He's out for sure....there's no need.

Nah, if they play anymore shows this year that'll surely be done at least one more time as a proper "sendoff".
    Jw
  • Options
    I love Pearl Jams message, which I find is for the most part political and they can sing to the choir all day long to me and as part of the choir I will sing along.

Hell in my opinion Barack needs to adopt Pearl Jam as his band, their messages are nearly the same.

People Have the Power - thank you Patti Smith -see it is not just Pearl Jam, music has historically been political, I believe.
    Can't You Feel This World, With Your Heart and Not Your Brain
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
  • Options
    i think some are misunderstanding me. its not so much the political rants, but the possiblity of a show filled with shitty protest songs. Up until Binaural, politics didnt come up much in their music, and if it did it was suitably vague. Now they are hammering you over the head with it.

Some of this music, like the one guy earlier said, is pretty awesome. Grievance and Insignificance come to mind. But much of it is some of the worst music they ever put out, and it seems to be getting worse with some of these newer songs. They are more hamfisted than ever, and i really dont want to sit through a whole show of that shit.

hopefully i'm just overreacting and I'll get a regular old PJ greatest hits festival show. Im always down to hear Betterman and EvenFlow for the millionth time.
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    Agreed but Unplugged wasn't day one.... and I tend to think that the band was a group of musicians who liked playing music in the beginning without much (I said much) thought of politics in their music. Are politics in their music a bad thing? No, inspiration comes from everywhere. Is being beat over the head with political messages at a show (whether PJ or not) a bad thing??? Yes it tends to alienate people and have the opposite effect of drawing awareness, it drives people to tune out.

You are right, it was not day one... but like I said, it was the earlier days. I agree, that being bashed over the head with any message is not fun, whether we agree with the message or not. But, in the context of a Pearl Jam show, I am not nearly put off as much as many (apparantly). I have come to look at the rants as somewhat akin to a Pearl Jam commercial break.

I can tune out commercials when I am watching a football game, and if one happens to catch my attention, I listen and watch. If it is a couple of cartoon bears talking about how good Charmin feels on their butts, I can find something to occupy my attention for that 30 seconds. Same with Ed's speeches. If he tells me that george junior is a buffoon, I smile and nod, and take the opportunity to talk with my wife. If he is telling me that BP Amoco is dumping, I listen with an open ear and process what he is saying. I might opt to boycott BP, or I might shrug and move on with my life.

At the end of the day, I really don't care. For me, part of being educated on current events is to look at a topic from many differnet angles, as any one angle might be very skewed. Collectively, I will get enough info to make an informed opinion and decision.

The nice thing at a show is that once the rant is over, there is a 100% chance I am about to hear an awesome song.

And now my rant is over... but I won't be singing to you.
    For those who scoff at "Jamily" in my name... 9 years ago, when my first daughter was born there were jokes about whether my priority would be my family or PJ. I smiled and quipped "I am a JamilyMan." What was a family joke became a hated term among jammers. Didn't see that one coming!
  • Options
    lukin321lukin321 Charlotte, NC Posts: 864
    RMST09 wrote:
    maybe after reading your post they will agree to play Alive and Evenflow over and over so that you and your friends can bring a bench and some dumbbells out in the field and chest press and bicep curls all evening. You never know.

This made me laugh really loud
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
  • Options
    Free Fucking Speech, Dont go if you don't want to hear it.
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
  • Options
    Then it doesn't sound like it's for you. I'd stay at home, just like those that don't like festivals, hippies, the heat, the location, camping out, etc etc etc....

Damn this is enough of these righteous threads...

totally, you just cant please everyone all the time
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options

guess that free speech thing you talk about doesn't extend to message boards....

Admin

• Options
    chromiam wrote:
    guess that free speech thing you talk about doesn't extend to message boards....

you know oddly enough it doesnt, you have to adhere to a pretty strict set of guidelines when posting on a board and the mods can delete what you say which i believe is called ... Censorship

Not agreeing or disagreeing either way... just saying
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:

Did I do something wrong? No F word allowed or something? Sorry to offend, if I did.
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
  • Options

thats what i'm trying to figure out, genius. if i should go.

message boards are funny. I hope I didnt make anyone cry.

Also, if I do go, could I get some help luggin my weight bench to TN? Does Bannaroo have designated spotters?
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    Also, if I do go, could I get some help luggin my weight bench to TN? Does Bannaroo have designated spotters?

I"ll rent an RV so we can bring a squat rack too.
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    thats what i'm trying to figure out, genius. if i should go.

message boards are funny. I hope I didnt make anyone cry.

Also, if I do go, could I get some help luggin my weight bench to TN?

Thanks for the compliment, nothing personal was meant towards you, just should not be too hard to figure out. They will sing and Eddie will say political things and anti-war songs, so if it is really bothering you then maybe you should not go.

I cant go because I can't afford it, but I would love a whole show of political anti-war stuff, as for now I have to suffice with my burned CD's of those songs.
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
  • Options
    I´m not going to Boon. and I´m not even american, but I would love them to be political if it could help getting the Obama in the white house (or Hillary - second best). The world needs it. And especially you guys need it!

I really whised i could go.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • Options
    Röeghmann wrote:
    I´m not going to Boon. and I´m not even american, but I would love them to be political if it could help getting the Obama in the white house (or Hillary - second best). The world needs it. And especially you guys need it!

I really whised i could go.

Amen to that....I will no doubt vote for Obama

Yes We Can
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
  • Options
    I cant go because I can't afford it, but I would love a whole show of political anti-war stuff, as for now I have to suffice with my burned CD's of those songs.
    if he sings Masters of War like he did on Benaroya, I'm definately cool with that one.