Options

If Pearl Jam played the halftime show

rmc1981rmc1981 Posts: 114
edited February 2008 in The Porch
What songs do you think they would play if they ever did the halftime show. Ithink Tom Petty did 4 songs last night, so what 4 songs would they do?

1.Betterman/save it for later
2.Corduroy
3.either small town or Daughter with a tag like its ok
4.Alive
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    No More/Bushleauger/Masters of War/Daughter with Another Brick in the Wall tag that gets sensored by fox.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    I did think about it briefly last night but they would never be asked or never do it so why speculate?
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    Lukin and that is it.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    corduroy
    alive
    elderly
    inside job
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    sleight of hand
    off he goes
    man of the hour
    i'm open

all sit-down acoustic. no light shows, no fireworks, no barrage of idiots bouncing around to songs they don't show.. just some candles on a small stage.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i would hate to see PJ during the half time show. just wouldn't look right.
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,215

You would hate to see, what I am assuming is your favorite band, play the SuperBowl? Why?

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    yeah me too i don't wan't them to ever do the SB at all ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,215
    I would be pumped if they did the superbowl. I love watching the halftime show regardless of who is playing. If it was PJ it would be even better.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Last Kiss, Thumbing My Way, and No More

That would be awesome!
  • Options
    dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    it would be all hits:
    WWS
    Even Flow
    Better Man
    Alive
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    Lukin and that is it.

Yes! But what about just "One Note"?
  • Options
    dirtyT wrote:
    it would be all hits:
    WWS
    Even Flow
    Better Man
    Alive

i agree 100%. before i read anyone else's these are the 4 songs i speculated they'd play.

i would guess them to open with Even Flow then WWS though.
    i'll follow everyone else's footsteps-

East Troy - 6/26/98, Chicago - 10/9/00, Chicago - 6/18/03, East Troy - 6/21/03, Noblesville - 6/22/03, Toledo - 10/2/04, London - 9/12/05, Chicago - 5/16/06, Chicago - 5/17/06, Grand Rapids - 5/19/06
    Milwaukee - 6/29/06, Milwaukee - 6/30/06, Chicago - 8/06/07, Columbia - 6/16/08, Chicago - 8/23/09, Chicago - 8/24/09, Columbus - 5/6/10, Noblesville - 5/7/10, East Troy - 9/3/11, East Troy - 9/4/11, Chicago - 7/19/13, Charlottesville - 10/29/13, Charlotte - 10/30/13, Memphis - 10/14/14, Detroit - 10/16/14, Moline - 10/17/14, St. Paul - 10/19/14, Milwaukee - 10/20/14 , Greenville - 4/16/16, Lexington - 4/26/16, Boston - 8/5/16, Boston - 8/7/16, Chicago - 8/20/16, Chicago - 8/22/16, 
    Chicago - 8/18/18, Chicago - 8/20/18, Baltimore - 3/28/20, Nashville - 4/2/20, St Louis - 4/4/20, Oklahoma City - 4/6/20
  • Options
    nimsu8nimsu8 Posts: 321
    If they are still around in 10 years or so, they will definitely be asked to do it (if they haven't been asked already)
    Buffalo - 1996; Montreal, Hartford - 1998; San Antonio - 2003; Milwaukee - 2006; Berkeley II - 2008; MSG I - 2008

MSG I pics: http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll22/nimsu8/MSG 1/
  • Options
    They'd be pressured to play hits, so:

Alive
    Betterman
    Daughter/It's OK tag (It would be awesome with 70,000 + singing along
  • Options

My husband and I were talking about this last night! I said "No Way! " Just another way for a great band to be turned into corporate sell-outs.

When I first started listening to PJ they were mainstream and appealed to the masses. Now they appeal to a certain crowd, those that actually have musical taste, and those who want to listen to a band that has matured and grown musically. It feels good to appreciate a band that puts their heart a soul into what they believe is musical progression and not what the music industry wants to sell.
    " When you want more than you have
    You think you need
    And when you think more than you want
    Your thoughts begin to bleed."
    E.V. Society

"And by the way, their real and their spectacular!"
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Cover or no, they couldn't not play Baba O'Riley in front of a huge crowd like that.

(I know they're more likely to play Alive, Betterman, E Flow, and such, but it's not like they'll ever actually play the Super Bowl halftime show.)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Petty didn't get to do 4 songs... He got 12 minutes and managed to fit 4 songs in...

So i'm thinking PJ might squeeze in 2 good ones...

Also, they (the NFL) told Tom no songs with overt drug use references... Not that PJ has many, if any, of these... (I'm blanking)
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • Options
    sk8nshoot1 wrote:
    Petty didn't get to do 4 songs... He got 12 minutes and managed to fit 4 songs in...

So i'm thinking PJ might squeeze in 2 good ones...

Also, they (the NFL) told Tom no songs with overt drug use references... Not that PJ has many, if any, of these... (I'm blanking)

Exactly.

When U2 played they only got though Beautiful Day and MLK/Where the Streets Have No Name.

I think PJ would play Corduroy, Given To Fly (minus the weed reference and Fuckers) and Alive. That would be close to 12 minutes.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Also, they (the NFL) told Tom no songs with overt drug use references... Not that PJ has many, if any, of these... (I'm blanking)"

Severed Hand
    Habit
    Save You
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    They could fill 12 minutes with Corduroy and Alive. No matter what Alive would be a part of the set. If this ever happens it would be great because I think I might be the only one to choose the SB over PJ. It never will happen though because all the Nancies that call themselves fans would be outraged that they sold-out.
    #FHP
  • Options
    I would be really upset to see Pearl Jam agree to play the super bowl halftime show. Not necessarily because of the corporateness of it, but just because it wouldn't seem fitting for a band as badass as Pearl Jam to play for ten minutes in front of a crowd that would vastly under appreciate the scene
  • Options
    Doubt it would ever happen, but if so, I would say 3 4-minute adrenaline-pumping songs would be most likely.

I'd guess:

1. Alive (something old that everyone would recognize to kick it off)
    2. Worldwide Suicide (their most current "hit")
    3. Baba O'Riley (have to slip a cover in there; this one seems most appropriate to a Super Bowl halftime show)
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    A 12 minute version of Lukin
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    My husband and I were talking about this last night! I said "No Way! " Just another way for a great band to be turned into corporate sell-outs.

When I first started listening to PJ they were mainstream and appealed to the masses. Now they appeal to a certain crowd, those that actually have musical taste, and those who want to listen to a band that has matured and grown musically. It feels good to appreciate a band that puts their heart a soul into what they believe is musical progression and not what the music industry wants to sell.

Why would playing the Super Bowl equal corporate sell-outs? I understand that they would need to remove some drug references and maybe edit some bad words and even remove some political undertones. but I'm not sure it would really be a sell-out. They are artists and want to get their message out there and perform and just feed off the audience. The Super Bowl would be the best oppty for that.

I know what I just wrote sounds hypocritical, but I just don't think it would be selling out to perform at the half time show
    Buffalo - 1996; Montreal, Hartford - 1998; San Antonio - 2003; Milwaukee - 2006; Berkeley II - 2008; MSG I - 2008

• Options
    Bugs
    Lukin
    Red Dot
    All Those Yesterdays

in that order...nothing different.
  • Options
    pepsigatorspepsigators St. John's, NL Posts: 182
    LukinFan wrote:
    A 12 minute version of Lukin

Yessssssss...or play lukin and leave....either or
  • Options
    pepsigatorspepsigators St. John's, NL Posts: 182
    nimsu8 wrote:
    Why would playing the Super Bowl equal corporate sell-outs? I understand that they would need to remove some drug references and maybe edit some bad words and even remove some political undertones. but I'm not sure it would really be a sell-out. They are artists and want to get their message out there and perform and just feed off the audience. The Super Bowl would be the best oppty for that.

I know what I just wrote sounds hypocritical, but I just don't think it would be selling out to perform at the half time show

so they would have to change around their work so they wouldn't offend people or represent ideals or ideas that the station hosting it doesn't want their name associatted with....and you don't understand why some people call this selling out???

i mean i see where both sides are coming from but as for me i don't mind if they do it. i would hate for the integrity of their songs to be comprimised because of it though
  • Options
    Better man
    fatal
    gone
    alive
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • Options
    so they would have to change around their work so they wouldn't offend people or represent ideals or ideas that the station hosting it doesn't want their name associatted with....and you don't understand why some people call this selling out???

i mean i see where both sides are coming from but as for me i don't mind if they do it. i would hate for the integrity of their songs to be comprimised because of it though

I guess I should rephrase. The excitement of seeing them on that worldwide stage would be worth it to change around a song or 2. For some reason that doesn't truly equate to selling out to me, but if it does.. then i guess i'm ok with it.