Options

Why are posters and vinyl so coveted?

2»

Comments

• Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,312
    I grew up on vinyl. Just like rock & roll, vinyl will never die. Nicer sound than cd's, larger format for artwork, and most of all i can read the fuckin' liner notes.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    As others have said about the records, to many it's about listening to the music on vinyl rather than a CD. I have a vast record collection which includes most of what has been released by Pearl Jam.

As for posters, I would buy the ones at the shows I attended. I have 6 framed and on display plus a poster from Phish's IT festival in 2003. I have a bunch of others that I plan on getting framed, but lately have been thinking of selling off some that I don't like as much. I don't have enough wall space for every poster.
  • Options
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    vinyl rules
    i like sound...
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    i like to collect anything connected with PJ so I have vinyl and posters. I also cut out any article i read about them.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    AloneWVAloneWV Posts: 5
    I love my vinyl..simple..great to listen to on a rainy day....

I have a buddy who puts his vinyl in frames..puts em' on the wall-calls them 'artwork'...seems ok..

my posters..based on shows i have seen....

good thread ..interesting perspectives
  • Options
    TheLabTheLab Posts: 3
    Posters were so fucking cool when I was like 10-20 years old...
    if you are over 20 perhaps the poster thing is just wearing off...

When I was growing up I had posters covering EVERY inch of my wall.

Vinyl is the source. The source is sacred stuff man... Mp3s are a wonderful compression algorithm but I would never play it LOUD and if I do I feel like
    I am listening to a microwavable TV dinner or something.

Vinyl is the Phattest Dopest iLLest medium for music I think its unfortunate that some people don't get that... but maybe it doesn't really matter. If you agree you know what I am talking about.

Vinyl is real physical waveforms molded on wax - what could be cooler then that and ipod? I don't think so.

The Lab
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Wow, didn't realize how old this thread was and that i had already given this almost exact same answer. :o
  • Options
    Why is gold and jewelry so valuable?

think about it
    the Minions
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I collect 'some' of the posters of shows I have been to. I framed them and hang most of them on the walls.
    As for the vinyl... I started buying the first ones... then, it gets to a point where you end up buying all of them. I did the same thing with the Foo Fighters. I used to play them... til the belt on my turntable stretched out.
    That reminds me... I need to get a turntable belt.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    green disease
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,312
    In the furture, money will be useless. Posters will replace folding money, vinyl change. Why do you think everyone is walking around with knapsacks on their backs? Place to keep your posters and vinyl.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    and then there's the holy grail of all collector's items: the vinyl poster. it sounds better than a regular poster and it looks better than a regular record.
    Give way to nature ...
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,070
    .......Also for vinyl, what's the appeal...especially all the posts I've seen of "Still in wrapper". What's the point of music if it's not being listened to? Do any of the owners have a record player. Has "Spin the Black Circle" put a spell over everyone?

I like records because the sound is more full than a CD.
    I like to buy them "Still in wrapper" to ensure I am getting a brand new copy, not one that was already listened to and possibly scratched.
    Also the artwork, pictures and things included with the album tend to be way larger than their CD counterparts.
    Just look at the Vitalogy album book, No Code polaroids and Avocado book, just to name a few.