Options

Was my mom ripped off?

Comments

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    No matter what, you have the coolest mom in the world.
  • Options
    These fuckers have a 30 day money back gaurentee, so tomorrow I will be taking care of this.

It just sucks... not so much for me, but for her. She tried so hard with this one, I felt terrible even pointing out that it might be fake.

Such scumbags in this world.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Options
    Enkidu wrote:

Thanks !
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,501
    sorry but to me that screams bullshit. what really gave it away for me was that "pearl" logo above the guitar......PEARL makes DRUMS, not guitars.

can you make out Ed's tee-shirt? :)

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/100Pacer/?action=view&current=4.jpg
    http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/100Pacer/?action=view&current=2.jpg
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    100 Pacer wrote:
    (as i don't have all 5 band signatures on any one item, regardless of how easy ST makes it out to be above lol).

Tough is an understatement! I have Stone and Matt's sig on my avocado cd book that took a year to get. Asked Ed to sign, but he wasn't in a signing mood, no biggie. I will get this signed by all of them, but to think of it as easy is a joke.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

Devils Advocate:
    Gibson Copy Made By PEARL

yes, they are 1st and foremost a DRUM manufacturer. But haven't plenty of manufacturers of different things ended up making other things? Hell wasn't Dae Woo an electronics manufacturer? Hell, now they have Cars!

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Just playing Devil's advocate here....

nobody here has proven they are fake, just like noone has proven them genuine either.

I rarely sign my name the same way twice, what makes everyone here an expert on handwriting. You shouldn't have brought that here for the pit yahoo's to decide for you...you're not exactly going to get a straight answer.

I say try to get a verification from 10c and call the company your mom got the memorabilia from.

the reason I am sayin this is because I have collected thousands of sports autographs in person (ahem... not for resale) but for myself.

People tend jump to the fake autograph premise only because it's an easy premise to jump on. But really... where is the burden of proof?

So, don't let this bunch ruin your Christmas with their opinions...
    Call the company and check the documentation.
    the Minions
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,420
    These fuckers have a 30 day money back gaurentee, so tomorrow I will be taking care of this.

It just sucks... not so much for me, but for her. She tried so hard with this one, I felt terrible even pointing out that it might be fake.

Such scumbags in this world.

I'd dispute the credit card charge as well, as a back-up.
  • Options
    09-06-2007, 08:17 PM
    SeattleBatman
    Ghost

I want to start off by saying thanks for all of the entertainment over the last few days and an extra thanks to some of you for sort of sticking up for me.

I know all of you are over me by now but I do not spend a lot of time online, so I have missed a few insults directed at me and would like to say a couple more things. I know this will fall on deaf ears but the person who talked about The Flight to Mars VIP CCFA event totally lied about what happened. It is true that I had a lot of items to get signed by Mike but I waited until the other 3 people were done before I asked him to autograph them for me because I knew it would take a little while to sign the 30 or so Lance Mercer photos that I brought with me. As a matter of fact, I had lunch today with Lance Mercer. Then Mike took the time to tell me about every photo. I know nobody cares but I have gotten autographs from Mike and the rest of the band on several occasions. I have every 7" lp, 12" lp and fan club 45 along with several other items signed by the entire band. Mike and Ed know me by name and always make it point to come over and sign autographs for me and talk to me for a few minutes. I bet most of you do not know that Ed is also an autograph collector. We have been at many of the same book signing here in Seattle.

I would also like to tell you who care how I get a lot of the Pearl Jam stuff both for my collection and to sell on Ebay. Fellow collectors contact me and ask me if I want to buy their entire collections because they need the money. There may be only one or two items that I need in their collection for my collection but I buy it anyway to help them out and to add to my collection and use the other stuff to either trade for more stuff or to sell it off to use the money to add to my Pearl Jam collection. That is how I got 3 copies of the Benaroya hall LP box set. I would NEVER sell anything that I do not have multiples of.

All of this makes me think of an old quote I read one time; I wish I could think of who said it.
    "It is senseless to argue with a moron, you will never win."

Sincerely,
    Seattlebatman

Here is a person that supposedly gets a lot of autographs from the band members.

This is from the posters 07 world tour thread. maybe he can help.
    the Minions
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    "So, don't let this bunch ruin your Christmas with their opinions..."

Yeah ya dickheads! :D
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Just playing Devil's advocate here....

nobody here has proven they are fake, just like noone has proven them genuine either.

I rarely sign my name the same way twice, what makes everyone here an expert on handwriting. You shouldn't have brought that here for the pit yahoo's to decide for you...you're not exactly going to get a straight answer.

I say try to get a verification from 10c and call the company your mom got the memorabilia from.

the reason I am sayin this is because I have collected thousands of sports autographs in person (ahem... not for resale) but for myself.

People tend jump to the fake autograph premise only because it's an easy premise to jump on. But really... where is the burden of proof?

So, don't let this bunch ruin your Christmas with their opinions...
    Call the company and check the documentation.

LOL how eerily similar is this situation to the fake '96 Istanbul poster situation all those months back? :) and if i recall correctly, after MUCH discussion, you reversed your position about that poster's authenticity :P i think in this situation, just as in the previously aforementioned poster situation, rather than being set on something being authentic because "People tend jump to the fake autograph (edit: or poster) premise only because it's an easy premise to jump on. But really... where is the burden of proof?" one need only take a neutral, unbiased opinion and look at all the FACTS available and determine for themselves whether the FACTS support a conclusion either way. in the case of the fake poster, just as in this case with the fake signatures, the FACTS strongly lean towards a very undeniable conclusion.

"documentation", per say, if you're talking about so-called "certificates of authenticity" is worth about as much the cost of the paper those certificates were printed on. the burden of proof, as you yourself have said, is whether a signature was obtained in person or not. i'm sure there are those who doubted the 1000's of sports autographs you've collected, but you knew/know better since you've stated that you obtained them in person. HOWEVER, in the case of the guitar, the signatures weren't obtained in person, therefore the burden of proof is on the company to prove the validity of the signatures, yes/no? and again, how do they do that? with certificates of authenticity? :P and how to account for the OBVIOUS, if not BLATENT, differences in signatures on a CCFA poster provided by the band and a guitar with signatures "claimed" to be provided by the band?

as for autograph/signature "experts" whether on this forum or elsewhere, enough images of legitimate PJ signatures have been made available that not only is it easy to spot the difference between a real and a fake, but it's equally easy to use an image as a guideline for producing a fake.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    I Am A Long Time Collector Of Pearl Jam Autographs And I Have Many Guitars Signed That I Got Signed Myself. This Guitar Is 100% Bullshit. Get Your Money Back Asap!!
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    LOL how eerily similar is this situation to the fake '96 Istanbul poster situation all those months back? :) and if i recall correctly, after MUCH discussion, you reversed your position about that poster's authenticity :P i think in this situation, just as in the previously aforementioned poster situation, rather than being set on something being authentic because "People tend jump to the fake autograph (edit: or poster) premise only because it's an easy premise to jump on. But really... where is the burden of proof?" one need only take a neutral, unbiased opinion and look at all the FACTS available and determine for themselves whether the FACTS support a conclusion either way. in the case of the fake poster, just as in this case with the fake signatures, the FACTS strongly lean towards a very undeniable conclusion.

"documentation", per say, if you're talking about so-called "certificates of authenticity" is worth about as much the cost of the paper those certificates were printed on. the burden of proof, as you yourself have said, is whether a signature was obtained in person or not. i'm sure there are those who doubted the 1000's of sports autographs you've collected, but you knew/know better since you've stated that you obtained them in person. HOWEVER, in the case of the guitar, the signatures weren't obtained in person, therefore the burden of proof is on the company to prove the validity of the signatures, yes/no? and again, how do they do that? with certificates of authenticity? :P and how to account for the OBVIOUS, if not BLATENT, differences in signatures on a CCFA poster provided by the band and a guitar with signatures "claimed" to be provided by the band?

as for autograph/signature "experts" whether on this forum or elsewhere, enough images of legitimate PJ signatures have been made available that not only is it easy to spot the difference between a real and a fake, but it's equally easy to use an image as a guideline for producing a fake.

yeah ...believe me I understand your point.

I would question their authenticity as well.

But to come on here and tell this guy his autographs are 100% FAKE is just wrong (and could be based on "jumping to conclusions") ....just sayin

The company sells a buttload of autographs...are all of them fake???

I'd say maybe the company has a bonafide way of verifying the authenticity of the autographs. Maybe there is a picture of one of the band members or all autographing the guitars. I don't know. Looks like the company should have a reputation with all this merchadise somehow.

But you just can't set at home on your computer and say they are 100% fake.

Maybe with the poster I can agree, but with the autographs, I'd have to stay neutral and let the OP just do his homework.

Like I said, I've collected autographs for some time. I've noticed autographs are different on baseballs vs. baseball cards from the same player. Autos are also different if they are using a sharpie or a paint pen. The silver paint pens are thicker and almost always change a person's autograph significantly. Fine points, ink pens and sharpies always cause differences in the autograph appearance.

Enough to debate it but not discredit it.
    the Minions
  • Options
    yeah ...believe me I understand your point.

I would question their authenticity as well.

But to come on here and tell this guy his autographs are 100% FAKE is just wrong (and could be based on "jumping to conclusions") ....just sayin

The company sells a buttload of autographs...are all of them fake???

I'd say maybe the company has a bonafide way of verifying the authenticity of the autographs. Maybe there is a picture of one of the band members or all autographing the guitars. I don't know. Looks like the company should have a reputation with all this merchadise somehow.

But you just can't set at home on your computer and say they are 100% fake.

Maybe with the poster I can agree, but with the autographs, I'd have to stay neutral and let the OP just do his homework.

Like I said, I've collected autographs for some time. I've noticed autographs are different on baseballs vs. baseball cards from the same player. Autos are also different if they are using a sharpie or a paint pen. The silver paint pens are thicker and almost always change a person's autograph significantly. Fine points, ink pens and sharpies always cause differences in the autograph appearance.

Enough to debate it but not discredit it.

i suppose the most obvious question would be: i understand from previous posts others have visited the website in question and added the same guitar to their shopping carts, and in some cases a large number of the guitars to their shopping carts, so i have to wonder: if there are more than 1-2 of said guitars available, does one actually believe any and all members of PJ sat there and signed each of them, one after the other? i think the sensible answer would be no.

and keep in mind, sitting in front of the computer to determine whether an item is legitimate or not is just about ALL anyone can do with regards to this guitar,...after all, ask yourself: does this company invite potential customers to their office/warehouse to examine said guitar in person? do they provide photos of the band members signing the guitar (not that it would make a difference for me, personally)? all ANYONE has to go by is the image of the guitar online, coupled with images others have provided of genuine PJ signatures, as well as in some cases some of us who actually have said signatures on personal items which were obtained in person.

when sitting on your computer, and debating whether to spend $2600+ on this guitar, even 1% of doubt is enough to question the entire purchase. if the item can't hold up to/claim 100% authenticity, then in my opinion it's 100% fake, one simply can't afford to claim 60%, 50%, or even 40% assurance unless once can afford to drop $2600+ without thinking twice and doing the research.

and i think the most important thing to keep in mind is that, thankfully, a 30 day money-back guarantee sounds like it's available in this case, which is good news for the buyer. if the buyer has any doubt about the autenticity, it's good to know he/she can return the product for a full refund, and whether he/she chooses to do so is their choice.

• Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    i suppose the most obvious question would be: i understand from previous posts others have visited the website in question and added the same guitar to their shopping carts, and in some cases a large number of the guitars to their shopping carts, so i have to wonder: if there are more than 1-2 of said guitars available, does one actually believe any and all members of PJ sat there and signed each of them, one after the other? i think the sensible answer would be no.

and keep in mind, sitting in front of the computer to determine whether an item is legitimate or not is just about ALL anyone can do with regards to this guitar,...after all, ask yourself: does this company invite potential customers to their office/warehouse to examine said guitar in person? do they provide photos of the band members signing the guitar (not that it would make a difference for me, personally)? all ANYONE has to go by is the image of the guitar online, coupled with images others have provided of genuine PJ signatures, as well as in some cases some of us who actually have said signatures on personal items which were obtained in person.

when sitting on your computer, and debating whether to spend $2600+ on this guitar, even 1% of doubt is enough to question the entire purchase. if the item can't hold up to/claim 100% authenticity, then in my opinion it's 100% fake, one simply can't afford to claim 60%, 50%, or even 40% assurance unless once can afford to drop $2600+ without thinking twice and doing the research.

and i think the most important thing to keep in mind is that, thankfully, a 30 day money-back guarantee sounds like it's available in this case, which is good news for the buyer. if the buyer has any doubt about the autenticity, it's good to know he/she can return the product for a full refund, and whether he/she chooses to do so is their choice.

basically that's just your opinion..that's all:D

my opinion is...there's a large amount of autos here being sold...I'm sure they're not all fake!!! that would be as safe to say as saying they are 100% fake.

The Beatles auto's were obtained at different times and personalized to the original owner.

Galveston guitars are cheap...

What exactly makes you think there are an unlimited number of guitars signed by PJ... just because you can put 60 of them in your cart??? ha ha. you may order it but then they may not even have one and give you a refund. they may not have any in stock unless someone actually orders one how would you know??? I ordered a Riot Act album last week for $13 online and got an email 3 days later from the company saying they hadn't had that in stock for a long time.

Besides, unless you are running around with the boys in the band how would you know how many items they have signed. I've seen Mike and Ed sign autos for 1/2 hour before getting on the bus. They've signed everthing, though I haven't seen them sign a guitar in person I did see Mike sign a pick guard which I'm sure someone took back home and replaced it on their guitar.

$300+ is an awful lot of money for an Avril Levigne or Andre 3000 autographs.

Maybe you are 100% sure they are fake in your own mind. But you can't tell this guy you are an expert on autographs so maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself because you aren't an expert.

....that's how I see it at least. :):):)
    the Minions
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Devils Advocate:
    Gibson Copy Made By PEARL

yes, they are 1st and foremost a DRUM manufacturer. But haven't plenty of manufacturers of different things ended up making other things? Hell wasn't Dae Woo an electronics manufacturer? Hell, now they have Cars!

:D

shit i had no idea. pearl makes guitars?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    Enkidu wrote:

dig. and that's the real meaning of christmas....

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    basically that's just your opinion..that's all:D

my opinion is...there's a large amount of autos here being sold...I'm sure they're not all fake!!! that would be as safe to say as saying they are 100% fake.

The Beatles auto's were obtained at different times and personalized to the original owner.

Galveston guitars are cheap...

What exactly makes you think there are an unlimited number of guitars signed by PJ... just because you can put 60 of them in your cart??? ha ha. you may order it but then they may not even have one and give you a refund. they may not have any in stock unless someone actually orders one how would you know??? I ordered a Riot Act album last week for $13 online and got an email 3 days later from the company saying they hadn't had that in stock for a long time.

Besides, unless you are running around with the boys in the band how would you know how many items they have signed. I've seen Mike and Ed sign autos for 1/2 hour before getting on the bus. They've signed everthing, though I haven't seen them sign a guitar in person I did see Mike sign a pick guard which I'm sure someone took back home and replaced it on their guitar.

$300+ is an awful lot of money for an Avril Levigne or Andre 3000 autographs.

Maybe you are 100% sure they are fake in your own mind. But you can't tell this guy you are an expert on autographs so maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself because you aren't an expert.

....that's how I see it at least. :):):)

what's interesting is just HOW you see it,...you've branded me an expert (self-proclaimed) ONLY to then go ahead and tell me i'm not an expert LOL but when looking back at every single post in this thread, you're the ONLY one who used the term "expert",...no post in this thread, not by me or anyone, has laid claim to an "expert" opinion,...we've ONLY laid claim to our own experiences with our own signed items as compared to images of other legitimate signed items.

not that i need to touch this point, because there are several holes in the argument, but i will: what kind of sketchy company would take/accept orders for a so-called "sought-after p.o.s. guitar signed by all the members of PJ", only to email back potential customers and say "sorry, we're out of stock" LOL any LEGITIMATE company would say we ONLY have 1 or 2 or 3 or 10 of said-item, each item is $2600+, once they're gone, they're gone! anything short of that is CLEARLY someone pumping out fake merchandise as ordered.

your LP argument is a legitimate one, in that i too have ordered vinyl only to be told it's out of stock, but think about it: a 200,000 square foot warehouse full of crates containing boxes of LPs and CDs, i can understand the inventory count being short a handful of items, accounting for theft/loss/damages. but do you seriously expect this company to email ANYONE back to say they don't have a guitar when they're selling if for $2600+ and the signatures are fake? LOL hell no! they're quietly selling one of these at a time, with no proof/evidence of the whereabouts of the signatures, the signatures are fakes but if you wouldn't know any different, it wouldn't make a difference.

and in case you forgot, being so ready to make a flip-side argument for the autographs being real (note: i wonder if and when the 10C replies back, whether the answer gets posted here, b/c i can guarantee their answer will be "it's a fake!) the original post called for/asked for OPINIONS about this item because "I am now on the website where the guitar was purchased, and im kinda nervous that my mom was duped. They still have the exact same guitar in stock, and it has the autographs in the same exact spot, same goes for the drum head.",...clearly the buyer had his/her doubts, and wanted outside opinions, which is exactly what he received. in fact, it would appear, based on those opinions and facts to support them, the buyer would feel MUCH better returning the item and receiving the $2600 back, so could that be a bad thing? could someone receiving their hard-earned money back in a case of bad purchase really be attacked? the guitar buyer had/has a choice, regardless of the opinions/facts/evidence presented here.

to say "Maybe you are 100% sure they are fake in your own mind. But you can't tell this guy you are an expert on autographs so maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself because you aren't an expert." is roughly the same argument you used here:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=243729

and, once again, you were the 1st (and only) individual in that thread to label someone as out to call themselves an "expert" when the evidence and facts spoke for themselves, the opinions on those facts and evidence was simply being freely expressed. to tell me to keep my opinion to myself is, well, a waste of your breath since every point i've raised i've been able to back up with regards to the autographs, just as MasterFramer has been able to do quite successfully i might add. in this threat, just as in the thread mentioned above, you've chimed in with "whoa, whoa,...who made you the expert? you're wrong because you're opinion is wrong so keep your opinion to yourself!",...so you expect to win me over and prove to me that i'm wrong, how exactly? lol

tell you what, why don't you ask the buyer what he/she decided to do? if he/she plans to keep the guitar would you support that decision? if he/she decided on returning the guitar for a refund would you support that decision? or better yet, if you had $2600+ to burn today, with no other obligations/commitments, would you drop that cash on this guitar yourself?! hehe i can understand and appreciate how you'd like to save face, seeing as you were wrong (in your own words) in the previous matter of the fake '96 Istanbul, but there's no reason to keep digging yourself into a further hole with this "go down with guns blazing" mentality,...because it's already been said, but i'll repeat, if the buyer has even a shred of doubt about the authenticity of this item he/she is prepared to return it, thus to AT LEAST confirm his/her doubts/suspicions is not/should not stop anyone else from buying this item, hence maintaining the "balance" which i think you're after in your argument of "let the market decide what's real and what's not",...but in THIS case, in THIS post, the opinions and facts expressed and presented justify the doubt/suspicions at hand.

• Options
    Great segment done by HBO a while back about fake autographs.

Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bZF5rvPPIY

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx3I8VE2aUU
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options

Part 1

Part 2

That's the show I found out one of my Mickey Mantle autographs is a fake. lol
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    I've never understood the appeal of buying autographed items. It's one thing to get it yourself at a show or meet/greet or chance meeting or something, but to actually buy something with an autograph on it that you were not present for... it's like buying a book with no story inside.

This isn't directed at anyone in here, especially the OP (that's a cool mom you must have), as everyone has their own personal feelings on the matter, and I can respect that. I just don't get it, is all.
  • Options
    Enkidu wrote:
    Exactly!
  • Options

Part 1

Part 2

BRILLIANT report! speaks to the heart of the issue at hand, and clearly the sports memorabilia market shares the same forgery issues as the music memorabilia issues.

• Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    what's interesting is just HOW you see it,...you've branded me an expert (self-proclaimed) ONLY to then go ahead and tell me i'm not an expert LOL but when looking back at every single post in this thread, you're the ONLY one who used the term "expert",...no post in this thread, not by me or anyone, has laid claim to an "expert" opinion,...we've ONLY laid claim to our own experiences with our own signed items as compared to images of other legitimate signed items.

not that i need to touch this point, because there are several holes in the argument, but i will: what kind of sketchy company would take/accept orders for a so-called "sought-after p.o.s. guitar signed by all the members of PJ", only to email back potential customers and say "sorry, we're out of stock" LOL any LEGITIMATE company would say we ONLY have 1 or 2 or 3 or 10 of said-item, each item is $2600+, once they're gone, they're gone! anything short of that is CLEARLY someone pumping out fake merchandise as ordered.

your LP argument is a legitimate one, in that i too have ordered vinyl only to be told it's out of stock, but think about it: a 200,000 square foot warehouse full of crates containing boxes of LPs and CDs, i can understand the inventory count being short a handful of items, accounting for theft/loss/damages. but do you seriously expect this company to email ANYONE back to say they don't have a guitar when they're selling if for $2600+ and the signatures are fake? LOL hell no! they're quietly selling one of these at a time, with no proof/evidence of the whereabouts of the signatures, the signatures are fakes but if you wouldn't know any different, it wouldn't make a difference.

and in case you forgot, being so ready to make a flip-side argument for the autographs being real (note: i wonder if and when the 10C replies back, whether the answer gets posted here, b/c i can guarantee their answer will be "it's a fake!) the original post called for/asked for OPINIONS about this item because "I am now on the website where the guitar was purchased, and im kinda nervous that my mom was duped. They still have the exact same guitar in stock, and it has the autographs in the same exact spot, same goes for the drum head.",...clearly the buyer had his/her doubts, and wanted outside opinions, which is exactly what he received. in fact, it would appear, based on those opinions and facts to support them, the buyer would feel MUCH better returning the item and receiving the $2600 back, so could that be a bad thing? could someone receiving their hard-earned money back in a case of bad purchase really be attacked? the guitar buyer had/has a choice, regardless of the opinions/facts/evidence presented here.

to say "Maybe you are 100% sure they are fake in your own mind. But you can't tell this guy you are an expert on autographs so maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself because you aren't an expert." is roughly the same argument you used here:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=243729

and, once again, you were the 1st (and only) individual in that thread to label someone as out to call themselves an "expert" when the evidence and facts spoke for themselves, the opinions on those facts and evidence was simply being freely expressed. to tell me to keep my opinion to myself is, well, a waste of your breath since every point i've raised i've been able to back up with regards to the autographs, just as MasterFramer has been able to do quite successfully i might add. in this threat, just as in the thread mentioned above, you've chimed in with "whoa, whoa,...who made you the expert? you're wrong because you're opinion is wrong so keep your opinion to yourself!",...so you expect to win me over and prove to me that i'm wrong, how exactly? lol

tell you what, why don't you ask the buyer what he/she decided to do? if he/she plans to keep the guitar would you support that decision? if he/she decided on returning the guitar for a refund would you support that decision? or better yet, if you had $2600+ to burn today, with no other obligations/commitments, would you drop that cash on this guitar yourself?! hehe i can understand and appreciate how you'd like to save face, seeing as you were wrong (in your own words) in the previous matter of the fake '96 Istanbul, but there's no reason to keep digging yourself into a further hole with this "go down with guns blazing" mentality,...because it's already been said, but i'll repeat, if the buyer has even a shred of doubt about the authenticity of this item he/she is prepared to return it, thus to AT LEAST confirm his/her doubts/suspicions is not/should not stop anyone else from buying this item, hence maintaining the "balance" which i think you're after in your argument of "let the market decide what's real and what's not",...but in THIS case, in THIS post, the opinions and facts expressed and presented justify the doubt/suspicions at hand.

dude...you win the argument....I give up

I couldn't possibly read all this....

don't buy autographs
    the Minions
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    BRILLIANT report! speaks to the heart of the issue at hand, and clearly the sports memorabilia market shares the same forgery issues as the music memorabilia issues.
    yes sir all the autographs are fake..there are absolutely no bonafide autographs on the market anywhere.

Nobody ever signed anything ...everything is fake.

Even MasterFramer's boobs are fake:D
    the Minions
  • Options
    The company your mother bought the autographed Pearl Jam guitar and drum head from is listed with the Better Business Bureau.

here's the link

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business/CompanyReportPage_Expository.aspx?CompanyID=100047032

I seriously doubt they are in the business of selling bogus autographs.

Looks like the company has an A rating.
    This may ease your mind some.

It still doesn't mean the autos are real, but... It's like having insurance if you want to get a refund.

Contact them if the company gives you any shit. (the BBB)
    But I'd be willing to say this company is striving to establish an honest reputation. Which is really hard to do in the memorabilia business. Everyone wants to rush to judgement on authenticity. (they should actually..no argument ..it's a cutthroat business)

Just use some common sense. Pearl Jam has actually dropped thousands of autos through the years. They have also signed many guitars for charity functions. They did it for the WM3 in Memphis on the Binaural tour.

The Galveston is a $250 guitar, so bunches of these guitars can be bought for cheap and sold "signed" by the band at bonafide charity events. PJ is known for this. Request this type of information from the company if they haven't provided it.

Don't let the naysayers get you upset and have a Happy Holidays
    the Minions
  • Options
    I know for sports autographs, there are companies that will authenticate the autograph for you. You send them the item, they analyze it and then determine if it is real or not. I'm not sure if they do musicians' autographs but it wouldn't hurt to look into it.
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,219
    That's the show I found out one of my Mickey Mantle autographs is a fake. lol
    The fact that you had Mickey's autograph on a Riot Act LP should have been your first clue. :D
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    I still have no reply from the 10c, but I called up the company who sold the guitar..

I expressed my concern that if I wanted to, I could purchase 100 of these same exact guitars with the same exact autographs in the same exact spot. The manager got the tech guy on the phone and ripped him a new asshole for the guitar being on the site.

He assured me its one of a kind, and was taken off the site within a matter of minutes.

I guess thats good news?

Later on i'll post close up pics of the autographs.

EDIT: 400th post, NICE!
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    I still have no reply from the 10c, but I called up the company who sold the guitar..

I expressed my concern that if I wanted to, I could purchase 100 of these same exact guitars with the same exact autographs in the same exact spot. The manager got the tech guy on the phone and ripped him a new asshole for the guitar being on the site.

He assured me its one of a kind, and was taken off the site within a matter of minutes.

I guess thats good news?

Later on i'll post close up pics of the autographs.

EDIT: 400th post, NICE!

i hope 10c or kat and sea will give you an answer. did you send it to the mods here, too, or just the 10c? i thought at one time it was kat that said she'd do the authenticating....

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged