Options

Early Reviews

TinyFistsTinyFists Posts: 142
edited December 2007 in The Porch
My band just got the first review of its first demo - and it was horrible! Of course I know people are entitled to their opinions and not everyone will like what we do but still, it was hard to read it and not feel a bit upset (esp as the reviewer was going on about the lack of sound quality - it's a demo by three people who have pretty average jobs to pay for it!!!). Anyway, it got me to wondering about other bands' early reviews (live or recorded) and what these were like for PJ. Anybody know?
Try to tell me that you love me, throw your little punches at me...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I wanna read yours!
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    Everybody gets bad reviews. Just don't take it personal and shrug it off. Don't let it deter you from what you do. I know it sucks, but it's all part of the game if you decide to put your art out there for others to enjoy/critique

If you end up getting 60 reviews and they're all bad, you might want to reconsider:) but you still shouldn't!!

As for PJ, i'm not certain that they would have any reviews prior to Ten, which im sure was pretty much hailed at most levels. Don't forget this is F'N Pearl Jam (not exactly a lightweight)

I bet you might be able to find some reviews of their early live shows that were less than stellar though.

side note: if you think the recording quality of your demos are bad i reccommend 1. getting a better recording and 2. not releasing it to be reviewed until that point.

Critics are hard on poor production and honestly they should be.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    Hey, you calling us lightweight?! Hehe ;-) Thanks for your thoughts. I get what you're saying, although I actually think the quality of what we did was pretty good, at least through decent speakers! She said you couldn't hear the bass...I am the bassist and I certainly would have spoken up if I felt that way when we were mixing!

Anyhow, me complaining about that was really just a kind of intro to the question of early Pearl Jam reviews as I am genuinely curious!
    Try to tell me that you love me, throw your little punches at me...
  • Options
    Don't stress over reviews.

"This single should be enough to strangle the babe in it's crib. Fake Middle Eastern metal-cum-psych riffs on the A-side are pure boredom...Anyway-Nirvana is only passable, and certainly isn't worth shelling out "limited edition" bucks for. Bruce Adams, Your Flesh #15

That was a review of Nirvana's first single Love Buzz, and I think we all know what happened there.
  • Options
    Who cares? If they don't like it, fuck them. Led Zeppelin never got a good review in Rolling Stone, and they turned out pretty ok.
  • Options
    Bad Radio sucked so there is always that.

And it's not like PJ was some garage band that struggled for years to make it. Didn't they already have a contract before they even recorded anything together?

Jeff and Stone did all the grunt work in the Green River and MLB days. They were already established musicians on the verge of making it big. If it wasn't for Andy's death, MLB would have rose to national prominence.
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06